“Good location but ?”

GreenLeadersGold level
Adelaide, Australia
“Good location but ?”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The hotel is located in a central position and we stayed while attending some shows in the city, the room was good and well appointed and check in staff in general were pleasant but our memories (problems) began when it came to breakfast. The breakfast staff were inattentive and their coffee was at best average with one returned as it was that bad (yes I do expect something decent considering todays choices). The whole breakfast set up was an accident waiting to happen, staff on the floor "appeared" to be inexperienced or at least acted as if they had no real world experience and with all the unsupervised children running around I would take an educated guess that many of those in the restaurant were not actual guests of the hotel. I say this as I have never been subjected to so many latte sipping mothers who couldn't care less about the mayhem that their children created ! Perhaps they are happy to accept trade from those not staying at the hotel and accept whatever comes their way which is fine but if so don't expect your paying guests to give you a rave review ! Lets be honest there is no better feeling than that of hoping that the sooner you get out of there the better, is there ?

Staff did not appear to care with several near misses with very hot beverages and food making no difference, overall I would suggest you do not eat here for breakfast, just find a nicer much quieter spot along Rundle St which is just around the corner.

A positive was the valet parking which was reasonably priced and the gentleman we spoke to was very nice.

Would I stay here again ? not likely when there are so many other hotels nearby which offer a much better, more personalised experience that gives their guests a feeling their custom is actually valued.

I have stayed at many Crown's for business and usually have a very pleasant time (including breakfast) so perhaps this was a one off experience but I only call it as I see it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Linda C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear jason t,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and your concerns regarding the service you received at breakfast and please accept my apologies for the late response. I am very sorry that your breakfast was disappointing due to the behaviour of other guests and the service of our staff, this is something I will look into as we do want all of our guests to have a wonderful experience and i am very concerned that we let you down.

I really do appreciate you letting us know where we need to improve.

Linda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I had a very pleasant two nights at the Crowne Plaza in mid March. The hotel is well situated and our room was clean, quiet and comfortable with a nice view overlooking the park - Hindmarsh Square. We ate both nights in the Red Salt restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed the meals and wine. Our waiter was enthusiastic and attentive and gave us good advice about food and wine combinations and things to do and see in Adelaide.
Regrettably we chose to take advantage of the 11 o'clock check out on the Sunday morning. The two staff, though efficient and pleasant, just could not cope with the numbers. The queue snaked back from the reception counter almost to the lift doors. 35 minutes later we were 'done', in more ways than one. What a pity!

3 Thank VictorZeus
Linda C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear VictorZeas,

I am so disappointed to hear that after what appeared to be a stay you very much enjoyed it was ruined by your checkout experience. I am very aware of the issues we have had on a couple of Sundays in March and we have most certainly learnt from these and implemented changes to try and prevent the same thing happening again.

I am very sorry that this left a bad taste in your mouth as we really do want all of our guests to have a great experience. I hope you will reconsider and give us another try, please let me know if you are coming in.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Crowne Plaza Adelaide has been my first choice of hotels when travelling to Adelaide but my recent stay left me underwhelmed. Room was nice and to be honest the hotel is doing a great job at keeping it looking new even though its been open for a few years now.
My gripes. Still no shaving mirror in the bathroom and lighting is poor. Luke warm showers all three days and I mean 'Luke warm' and that's with the tap on max heat. Not nice. A sadly stocked mini bar. The weirdest thing which I haven't noticed in the past is that the bed felt really short and I'm not a short person by any means.

Staff were, as always, fantastic and I did receive an apology on checkout about my woes.

Oh well, this stay was probably my last.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank darren101071
Dear darren101071,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and give your honest feedback. I am really disappointed that you feel we have let you down so badly that you may not come back.

I understand your issue with the lightling and it has taken us quite a while to find a solution but we are very close and expect to start changing our lighting next month. This is is a significant investment and is important we get it right and we have ensured we have identified a product that will increase the lighting whilst improving our energy efficiency.

We are certainly able to organise a shaving mirror for you so please let me know if you are prepared to give us another go and I will make sure you have one in your room (please email me on linda.collis@ihg.com).

We constantly review our mini bar offerings based on feedback and what items sell so please let me know what particular items you would like to see and we can consider adding these.

Unfortunately I don't really have a solution for the beds, they are standard sized king beds which generally are suitable for most people.

I would sincerely like to apologise for the issues you have had but do hope you will give us another chance.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The rooms look great. Modern, clean, comfortable bed, stunning furniture and decor, great bathroom. Could not fault the room. The TV had all the free to air TV stations as well as the most popular Foxtel stations which was useful. Balcony on the higher levels had a great view of the mountains, city and Hindmarsh Square. Although I didn't use them, the pool and gym facilities were made available to us. The bar and restaurant were busy from morning until close. The location is perfect. Right around the corner (walking distance 1 minute) from the chic Rundle Mall and Rundle Street shopping precinct. Full of cafes, restaurants and retail all within walking distance. The taxi rank at the hotel was always occupied by a waiting taxi so you didn't have to wait at all. The entrance of the hotel is off the main roads which is ideal and secluded from the busy traffic. The only downfall that I experienced was the valet parking. I called on a number of occasions to have my car brought up and depending on who you spoke to you would receive varying quality of service. Some would greet you by name and be extremely accommodating. Only a few however were a little too unfamiliar with the traits an employee in the hospitality industry where customer service is imperative should possess. Overall I would highly recommend the hotel and will definitely stay here again the next time I visit Adelaide. The highlight of the stay would definitely have been bumping into the entire Sydney Swans Football Club squad in the foyer and watching them go through their paces with some light exercises in Hindmarsh Square from my balcony.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher levels with views of Hindmarsh Square are great!
5 Thank Emmanuel L
Linda C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Emmanual L,

Thank you for your lovely review. We have been very busy, certainly mad March as it is called, and despite our very best efforts I know a few of the team have struggled on occasion to deliver the best possible service so it is very nice to hear that you have acknowledged all of the great things about Crowne Plaza Adelaide. In saying that, we do strive to ensure every guest has a fantastic stay with us so we will continue to focus on improving our service. We did in fact hold a service training programme again this week, it is an absolute priority for us.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback, we greatly appreciate it. We hope you will visit us again in the not too distant future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza before and it's because of that positive experience I decided to stay there again.

The hotel is conveniently located, just minutes from Rundle Mall and then King William Street where I took the tram to go to Glenelg. Also, the shutte bus from the airport stops at Hindmarsh Square which is just metres from the hotel so getting to it is very easy.

The room was spacious, very clean and filled with light. The beds were very comfy and I had no trouble getting to sleep each night. The view was terrible (roofs of nearby buildings) but this was not an issue for me. I was very happy with everything in my room.

There are cafes and restaurants very close by so I was spoiled for choice when it came to eating out. Being close to Rundle Mall, I also have easy access to a supermarket where I can pick up drinks and snacks which I brought back to the hotel.

All but one of the staff members I interacted with were excellent (more on that later). The staff at the reception desk were so pleasant to deal with and seem to enjoy keeping their guests happy. Special mention also goes to the staff at the Concierge desk who were always ready to assist if I had any questions. They were delightful.

If there was one thing that put me off during my stay, it was the gentleman I dealt with when I was checking out. He was very abrupt and I felt like he was trying to get rid of me as fast as he could. It was unprofessional to be honest and not consistent with the rest of my experience at the hotel.

Apart from that little blip, I would happily stay at the Crowne Plaza next time I am in Adelaide again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tuktuujaartuq
Dear tuktuujaartuq,

I am very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed staying with us in the past and found our location, rooms and service to be excellent.

Of course I am very disappointed to hear that one of our staff members did not provide you with the excellent service you should expect. If you have the time to share any further details my email is linda.collis@ihg.com and I would appreciate your feedback so I can address the team member involved.

I do hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I must start this review by saying the rooms was really clean, but that's about the sum total of the compliments. I travel a lot, have seen many, many hotel rooms, but this one really takes the biscuit!
-Right from the start the check in clerk treated us like a bad cashier at a 7-11, - very abrupt and not interested in us at all. Our superior room had a wonderful view of the adjacent multi-storey car park roof and the back of another faceless building. The safe in the room didn't work (this was fixed half way through our stay). There is no self park option, retrieving the car typically took around 15mins, but on the first day took 45 minutes causing us to miss the start of a family reunion lunch! It was also impossible to call down to ask for the car in advance as the line was always busy. Upon returning from our day out, tired, and ready for bed we found that the base sheet was too short for the bed by about 18 inches, exposing the matress, - not exactly comfortable or hygenic. When reported to the manager the following day he responded "that'll explain why we ran out of double sheets yesterday!" (we had a king bed!). Upon check-out they tried to charge us for the room, - we had already pre-paid with hotels.com, they then went on to charge us for items we hadn't had from the mini bar! This was then corrected but it cost me money for the foreign transaction! All of this coupled with an uncomfortable bed amounted to a pretty unpleasant stay.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
4 Thank Mmiuk
Dear Mmiuk,

I am extremely concerned with the experience you had at the hotel and would really appreciate if I could speak to you personally.

If possible could you please email me with details so I am able to contact you - linda.collis@ihg.com.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed March 17, 2013

i can only agree with was has been said recently. if only for the room, the location and the staff this would go as a FIVE point experience. however, what ruins it are the outrageous add-on services! valet parking (almost a must) - 32 dollar (incl. an hour wait or so to get your car back)
wi-fi - 20+ dollar
etc

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Philipp S
Dear Phillip S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and take on board your comments regarding costs for valet parking and internet. We do offer free wi-fi access in the lobby, bar, restaurant and free internet access in the business centre but I understand that you may in fact want to work from your room and this is definitely something we are reviewing.