“Modern hotel and rooms in a great location with a view”
Review of Pullman Adelaide

Pullman Adelaide
Ranked #7 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The rooms look great. Modern, clean, comfortable bed, stunning furniture and decor, great bathroom. Could not fault the room. The TV had all the free to air TV stations as well as the most popular Foxtel stations which was useful. Balcony on the higher levels had a great view of the mountains, city and Hindmarsh Square. Although I didn't use them, the pool and gym facilities were made available to us. The bar and restaurant were busy from morning until close. The location is perfect. Right around the corner (walking distance 1 minute) from the chic Rundle Mall and Rundle Street shopping precinct. Full of cafes, restaurants and retail all within walking distance. The taxi rank at the hotel was always occupied by a waiting taxi so you didn't have to wait at all. The entrance of the hotel is off the main roads which is ideal and secluded from the busy traffic. The only downfall that I experienced was the valet parking. I called on a number of occasions to have my car brought up and depending on who you spoke to you would receive varying quality of service. Some would greet you by name and be extremely accommodating. Only a few however were a little too unfamiliar with the traits an employee in the hospitality industry where customer service is imperative should possess. Overall I would highly recommend the hotel and will definitely stay here again the next time I visit Adelaide. The highlight of the stay would definitely have been bumping into the entire Sydney Swans Football Club squad in the foyer and watching them go through their paces with some light exercises in Hindmarsh Square from my balcony.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher levels with views of Hindmarsh Square are great!
5  Thank Emmanuel L
Linda C, General Manager at Pullman Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Emmanual L,

Thank you for your lovely review. We have been very busy, certainly mad March as it is called, and despite our very best efforts I know a few of the team have struggled on occasion to deliver the best possible service so it is very nice to hear that you have acknowledged all of the great things about Crowne Plaza Adelaide. In saying that, we do strive to ensure every guest has a fantastic stay with us so we will continue to focus on improving our service. We did in fact hold a service training programme again this week, it is an absolute priority for us.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback, we greatly appreciate it. We hope you will visit us again in the not too distant future.

Linda

Write a ReviewReviews (1,766)

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza before and it's because of that positive experience I decided to stay there again.

The hotel is conveniently located, just minutes from Rundle Mall and then King William Street where I took the tram to go to Glenelg. Also, the shutte bus from the airport stops at Hindmarsh Square which is just metres from the hotel so getting to it is very easy.

The room was spacious, very clean and filled with light. The beds were very comfy and I had no trouble getting to sleep each night. The view was terrible (roofs of nearby buildings) but this was not an issue for me. I was very happy with everything in my room.

There are cafes and restaurants very close by so I was spoiled for choice when it came to eating out. Being close to Rundle Mall, I also have easy access to a supermarket where I can pick up drinks and snacks which I brought back to the hotel.

All but one of the staff members I interacted with were excellent (more on that later). The staff at the reception desk were so pleasant to deal with and seem to enjoy keeping their guests happy. Special mention also goes to the staff at the Concierge desk who were always ready to assist if I had any questions. They were delightful.

If there was one thing that put me off during my stay, it was the gentleman I dealt with when I was checking out. He was very abrupt and I felt like he was trying to get rid of me as fast as he could. It was unprofessional to be honest and not consistent with the rest of my experience at the hotel.

Apart from that little blip, I would happily stay at the Crowne Plaza next time I am in Adelaide again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tuktuujaartuq

Dear tuktuujaartuq,

I am very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed staying with us in the past and found our location, rooms and service to be excellent.

Of course I am very disappointed to hear that one of our staff members did not provide you with the excellent service you should expect. If you have the time to share any further details my email is linda.collis@ihg.com and I would appreciate your feedback so I can address the team member involved.

I do hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I must start this review by saying the rooms was really clean, but that's about the sum total of the compliments. I travel a lot, have seen many, many hotel rooms, but this one really takes the biscuit!
-Right from the start the check in clerk treated us like a bad cashier at a 7-11, - very abrupt and not interested in us at all. Our superior room had a wonderful view of the adjacent multi-storey car park roof and the back of another faceless building. The safe in the room didn't work (this was fixed half way through our stay). There is no self park option, retrieving the car typically took around 15mins, but on the first day took 45 minutes causing us to miss the start of a family reunion lunch! It was also impossible to call down to ask for the car in advance as the line was always busy. Upon returning from our day out, tired, and ready for bed we found that the base sheet was too short for the bed by about 18 inches, exposing the matress, - not exactly comfortable or hygenic. When reported to the manager the following day he responded "that'll explain why we ran out of double sheets yesterday!" (we had a king bed!). Upon check-out they tried to charge us for the room, - we had already pre-paid with hotels.com, they then went on to charge us for items we hadn't had from the mini bar! This was then corrected but it cost me money for the foreign transaction! All of this coupled with an uncomfortable bed amounted to a pretty unpleasant stay.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
4  Thank Mmiuk

Dear Mmiuk,

I am extremely concerned with the experience you had at the hotel and would really appreciate if I could speak to you personally.

If possible could you please email me with details so I am able to contact you - linda.collis@ihg.com.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

i can only agree with was has been said recently. if only for the room, the location and the staff this would go as a FIVE point experience. however, what ruins it are the outrageous add-on services! valet parking (almost a must) - 32 dollar (incl. an hour wait or so to get your car back)
wi-fi - 20+ dollar
etc

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Philipp S

Dear Phillip S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and take on board your comments regarding costs for valet parking and internet. We do offer free wi-fi access in the lobby, bar, restaurant and free internet access in the business centre but I understand that you may in fact want to work from your room and this is definitely something we are reviewing.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed 3 nights over a very busy weekend, hotel was booked solid however we had a very efficient check in. I want to make special mention of the great customer service we received from all the guys on the Concierge desk during our stay. Good job guys ! Also a big thank you to Shelley for the great communication via phone and email before we arrived.

This modern hotel is in a great central position and is relatively new. Our standard room on the 8th floor was spacious enough with a very comfortable king size bed and pillows, good size bathroom with a large walk in shower, nice furnishings, bathrobes, slippers, ironing board/iron, large windows with great block out curtains. The room key slot to turn the lights/electricity on, is not right at the entrance but down next to the bathroom door which was interesting.

Please note that some rooms will have a view of the multi level car park next door which wasn't an issue for us as we were only in our room to shower and sleep, and apart from a noticeable droning noise which we think was coming from air conditioning units on top of the car park (?) it was a pretty quiet room, so we slept well. I think the droning sent us to sleep ! As well, on our first night noticed that we only had warm water and when we asked the next morning were told that there had been a leak in one of the hotel's water tanks, and that it had been repaired however for some reason, our room had no hot water at all during our stay. The weather was very hot in Adelaide while we were there and we were out in it for most of the day, so I didn't mind having warm showers, and just confirmed with Reception on check out of the issue.

Overall, the Crowne Plaza is a very good hotel and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda C, General Manager at Pullman Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Dear TCSSouthAustralia,

It has been a very busy month and the team has had to work very hard so I really appreciate you acknowledging the great service from our concierge team and Shelley - they will be truly thankful to receive such positive feedback.

We did have an issue with a hot water pipe which had to be fixed so I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience to you and will ask our Maintenence Manager to check we do not have any ongoing issues since this should now be rectified.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and we would love to welcome you back again.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Quite typical of most newer business hotels, nothing too special about the property but then again absolutely nothing to criticize!
Spotless rooms and relatively spacious. Lovely, deep baths and fluffy robes. Friday and Saturday nights can be noisy due to popular bars nearby, so see if you can get a room higher up. The room I had was with a balcony so fresh air was fantastic but other rooms I went into did not have them.
I have had breakfast here on several occasions and definitely rate it as a bit of a showcase for excellent SA produce.
I was involved in a wedding and the only downside was that there appeared to be a lack of communication between staff on several occassions with no records noted on what other staff had agreed to which made it frustrating.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms are quieter on the weekends
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Dear Missjane06,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I am pleased that you had a good stay. It is great to hear you you have breakfast with us regularly and we do have such wonderful produce in SA so we are very fortunate to be able to share this.

Thank you for pointing out some areas of communication we need to focus on, I will ensure I speak with the team about this and remind them how important it is.

I do hope we see you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is a lovely modern hotel, rooms are spacious and bed is very comfortable. We would have rated our experience a five star if our review was just based on the room. Also the staff were very friendly and polite.

What let us down was that we had to wait 1 hour and 50 minutes to get our car from valet parking. We were advised that there would be a delay of 30 to 45 minutes which we didnt mind as it gave us time to pack and check out. When we checked out there was a massive queue and we waited 25 minutes.It got to one hour waiting for our car and my hubby went to check on how much longer it would be. We were advised that we were next in line. We patiently waited whilst another 10 cars were delivered. So my hubby went and checked again. The staff member was very apologetic and arranged for our car to be delivered.

I felt really sorry for the staff as they were working as fast as they could. Surely management could have done something about this. There were many peeved customers. For $32 I would have expected a much more efficient service.

It is such a shame that this put a bad end to what would have been a positive experience.

1  Thank CJandJJ

Dear CJandJJ,

Please accept my sincere apologies for your stay being ruined by your terrible check-out experience. I am not sure what day you checked out but I am very aware that we have had issues with longer than normal checkout times and valet parking on a couple of days due to the large number of people checking out and requiring their cars at the same time. We have endeavoured to reduce the impact by increasing staffing levels but on the couple of occasions the demand (over 100 checkouts and cars) has over stretched the team and we acknowledge guests have had to wait for an extended period but the time you have had to wait seems to be far longer than others.

I would really appreciate having futher dialogue regarding this with you and would appreciate if you could contact me on linda.collis@ihg.com or calling me at the hotel.

Again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience we caused.