“A nice bright room needing more chairs”
Review of Pullman Adelaide

Pullman Adelaide
Ranked #7 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had two nights in a 1 KING BED SUPERIOR room with breakfast. It cost $284.00 for the first night and $260.00 for the second night plus $8.16 in hotel fees, whatever they are.

The room was bright and light which I liked.
The bed was of excellent standard.
The shower and "bathroom" were spacious and gave everything we needed/expected.
The staff were consistently lovely and helpful and very quick at handling our luggage from the car to the room.
There were excellent lights over the bed.
We had individual control over the air conditioner which we liked as we seldom needed it on.
It was quiet. We have been to other 5 star hotels in Brisbane and the Gold Coast where the traffic noise disturbed our sleep, this was certainly not the case here, which was great, and we both slept well.

It seemed sparse in terms of information, furniture and even the food items associated with the mini bar (4 items only).

It gave us what I'd expect in a 5 star hotel but did not differentiate itself from other 5 star hotels we’d stayed in close by.

For example, it gave us few of the lovely extras we experienced at the Intercontinental, another 5 star hotel in Adelaide we had stayed at 3 weeks earlier. At the intercontinental we had an identical room rating of “king superior” and we paid a lower price.

Here are some of the comparisons.

One major difference was the sparse furniture. There were not enough chairs in the room for two people. There was only one armchair plus a matching ottoman. So were does a second person sit? Why were there not two arm chairs? There was absolutely plenty of room. There was one other hard chair at the desk but it wasn’t a comfy one to relax in. In contrast the Intercontinental had two chairs plus a settee – we had chairs for four – it was so much better. This in itself would stop us from returning to the Crowne – one of us had to lie on the bed while the other had a chair.

At the desk there were two extra electrical sockets – except a lamp had been fastened to the desk which blocked off one of the sockets so there was only one. There were three at the Intercontinental. The light on the desk was very weak and could have been much brighter.

There was no bath, which was included at the intercontinental. (This didn't matter to me but may matter to some).

We had a lovely view at the Intercontinental, a gorgeous one of the river and parks. At the Crowne we over-looked a car park.

There was only one restaurant - the intercontinental had two separate ones plus a separate lounge bar with refreshments (plus a grand piano for entertainment). We had a lot more more food choices for breakfast at the Intercontinental.

Both had good televisions. The television at the Crowne was fixed and arranged so as to be watched while on the bed. The one in the Intercontinental could swivel and be watched where-ever we were.

There were lots of things like this – but the small things can make such a difference.

Enough said, if we came back we would stay at the Intercontinental. Sorry Crowne ...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Linda C, General Manager at Pullman Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear RachelGreenCom

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I am very pleased that there were many things you liked about Crowne Plaza Adelaide but of course I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations in other areas.

It is a shame you you did not book one of our rooms facing Hindmarsh Square as I am sure you would have enjoyed the views, our lovely baths and depending on the room type we also offer balconies, I do think you would have really loved this room.

Out televisions should in fact be rotatable so I will ensure our maintenance teams check there has not been an issue with any of the televisions, I am very sorry you had problems.

As InterContinental Adelaide is a sister property of ours I am very pleased to hear that you have found it perfect for your needs and if we have not been able to meet your needs that they have. However, if you do find you have the occasion to wish to stay close to Rundle Street and the East End we would love to invite you back - please let me know and I will ensure you have the opportunity to enjoy Hidmarsh Square.

Linda

Write a ReviewReviews (1,763)

Reviewed October 13, 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
1  Thank sbedds

Reviewed October 9, 2012

My time at the Crowne Plaza Adelaide was a really Amazing Experience. The moment I walked in I was given a friendly hello from the concierge staff. At the reception desk, I had a young lady named Heather who was really bubbly, polite, friendly and very professional. She helped me with all of my requests quickly and efficiently. The room was absolutely gorgeous and I could not have asked for anymore. The price was excellent for such a beautiful hotel. I really have to recommend this hotel as it is in a league of its own.

Room Tip: "The views from the top of the hotel are excellent".
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Linda C, General Manager at Pullman Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear holidayqueen3737,

I am so pleased to hear that you had an amazing experience with us. Heather is wonderful and we are very lucky to have her as part of our team. I am really delighted that you enjoyed staying in our rooms and I agree the views, particularly from the higher floors are excellent.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and come back soon!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We only had one night in this hotel as we came in from the country and we have stayed at Hindmarsh Square many a time at another hotel.. But this was the best by far. My partner and I commented on how quiet the rooms were and very comfortable.The location is excellent as you can have pre dinner drinks at the Griffins Head Hotel, then go to Jasmin restaurant for a wonderful dining experience then a walk down Rundle St...I will be staying here again as we often come to Adelaide....Thankyou for your clean, comfortable room....

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and our view was the carpark...This did not bother us as we are locals but...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Linda C, General Manager at Pullman Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear cat0407,

Thank you for making the effort to share your experience. I am so pleased to hear that you and your partner enjoyed your recent stay with us, particularly as you obviously know Adelaide well. We love Crowne Plaza Adelaide and think it's the best but we may be a little biased!

I am thrilled you will be visiting again and I hope I have the chance to meet you when you are next in town.

Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here over night for a conference in October and I thought it was great. Clean spacious & modern rooms. Hotel is a short walk to the main parts of the city and only a $20 cab ride from the airport. Yummy breakfast, would definately go back.

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Emphilpot,

Thank you for making the time to share your feedback on Crowne Plaza Adelaide. It is wonderful to hear that you had a great experience with us. It is very easy to walk to so many places from the hotel so I am glad you chose to have breakfast with us and enjoy it.

We hope to see you back again.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

At the end of a long week away I was pleasantly surprised with an upgrade for my stay at Crowne Plaza in Adelaide. Everything about this hotel was excellent for my short stay. The upgraded room was very spacious, well set out and appointed and had a great view out over the city and park. The price at $137 was excellent (even for a Friday night). I had the best night's sleep in a very comfortable bed (despite a bunch of noisy students staying in the hotel). I had a great swim in the pool before I left in the morning. The staff were helpful and courteous. I'd be very happy to stay there again some time.

Room Tip: This location is great for a range of restaurants. It is also conveniently located at the top end of...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank conatus

Dear Conatus,

I am so glad you enjoyed your short stay with us and the free upgrade! It is great you were able to get a great nights sleep (I know the Uni students here for the University Games were occasionally a bit noisy).

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I do hope you get to visit again soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Prob the best spot to stay if you are going to stay in the city. It's what you would expect from a crown plaza, nothing more nothing less! Nice rooms clean, plenty of staff available for assistance. Pool and gym are fine not overly flamboyant.
Only thing more I would like is to be able to park my own car and not rely on valet .
Of all hotels in Adelaide I'm happy we chose this one.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Darren G
Linda C, General Manager at Pullman Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Dear Darren G,

We think our location is pretty fantastic too and I am very happy that you chose us!

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.