“Perfect for some, but not for me”

Hostel 109 Flashpackers
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Overall this hostel has much to recommend it: a great many positive features and extras that you don’t find everywhere. For example: printer, free computer lounge with internet and Word & Adobe, decent wifi in the rooms as well, free washing powder, free tea and coffee (and milk), and other cooking basics, a fan, fridge and desk and good desk chairs in the private rooms. The owners are friendly and helpful and have clearly gone out of their way to equip the hostel with features valuable to travellers.

As far as the more regular features go: bathrooms are clean and showers have hooks and shelves to keep your stuff dry; there are only two toilets (per sex) and four showers for the whole hostel, but this never seemed a problem; beds and linen do seem better quality than some hostels, as promised on the website. There is air-conditioning so the rooms and passage ways are cool even in 30+ degree heat. It is on a quiet street, close to the central markets and Chinatown, and a 20 min leisurely walk to/from North Tce.

Definitely a good deal for the price, especially if you are sharing. And it will be perfect for some, especially the overseas traveller on a long trip who can take advantage of the many features to plan and recuperate. It may indeed provide the best private room budget accommodation in Adelaide.

Having said that, it was not for me. I have not stayed anywhere else in Adelaide, but have stayed in places I preferred in Hobart, Melbourne and Brisbane for a similar price. My complaint is not with the owners at all, who are helpful and generous, but with the building. Its structure means that noise carries. My fellow guests were actually pretty quiet, but you can hear people walking down the corridor and, from the double room that I had, in the kitchen. The hostel is quite small and a good third of the rooms are at least this close to the kitchen. There are also these unusual light spaces, complete with pot plants, between most of the rooms, so that one of the walls has large windows facing this light space. There are curtains, but a good deal of light comes in, especially when your neighbour has their light on. The kitchen, eating area, lounge and bathroom areas are also all down the same end of the building in a semi-open plan, so can seem a little crowded or claustrophobic. This is really personal preference, but may resonate with some: I found the ambience of the space uncomfortable, and I did not enjoy good sleep.

Room Tip: Might be good to ask the owners when you are booking: say you want a quiet room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Student79

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We spent over 2 weeks at hostel 109 and had the most positive experience. As other people have mentioned, Malcolm and Deb went above and beyond to look after their guests, it was such a delight to be treated so well. Malcolm was so warm and welcoming when we arrived, we really felt like we were his guests and not just a customer. The facilities were excellent, very clean, an excellent kitchen, a great shower, a couple of really nice common rooms, and we especially loved being able to eat out on the balcony. Malcolm and Deb, thank you so much for making our transition into living in Adelaide a really safe and pleasant one. It really is the best hostel and would recommend it to everyone who wants to visit Adelaide.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peta R
Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is hands down the best hostel I've ever stayed at. Great staff with wonderful service provided, including email communication. Best of all, the facilities...from the kitchen (well-stocked with equipment, respected by fellow users, spotless, ample fridge space, 3 stoves) to the bathrooms (cleaner than the one at home :P), computers, super fast wifi, tv and dvd in common area, washing machine and dryer, locker space. Not to mention the rooms, which would be equivalent to a budget hotel room. Lovely clean bedding, nice spotless carpet, desk space and aircon. I would 100% recommend this amazing hostel. Thanks for the great stay :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2012

It is difficult to enumerate all the positives of the 109 Hostel. My choice of where to stay in Adelaide was through the countless positive comments I found on the internet on the 109 Hostel and I'm hoping that my comment also motivate others in their choice. Worth checking out!

* Excellent communication by email from the time of booking. Thanks Deb & Malcolm!
* Malcolm, the owner of the hotel, waited for my arrival even after business hours.
* I had everything I could expect.
* Excellent wireless Internet access.
* Excellent location.
* Excellent service.
* Excellent level of cleanliness and organization.
* Super courtesy and help from the owner.

I highly recommend this hotel. Thank you both Deb & Malcom so much, and there's no question as to where I'll stay when I go back to Adelaide.

Room Tip: I've stayed in room number 1. Excellent!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank KLord2012
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I wanted to check in after reception was closed, so the owners sent me instructions on getting into the hostel and left a key labelled with my name. Because I booked directly through the website I had not left a hostelworld/hostelbookers deposit and they did not ask for one. I booked two nights, separated by another two nights in between when I'd be on Kangaroo Island, and when I went to check out the first morning, I was asked "would you like to pay for one night, both, or neither?" What integrity and trust! The hostel is across the road from reception, so technically I could have just left without paying anything at all. I was really impressed that they used the honour system and that they had such faith in and respect for backpackers, which can be really rare when it comes to hostel staff.

The hostel was quite clean, even though it was Uni Games and packed with students, and had free internet with WIFI.

I never write reviews, but I was so impressed by this place that I had to!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for just one night but we would have loved to stay here longer! The kitchen is the best I've ever seen in a hostel, it had everything you could ever need, from a sandwich toaster to a smoothie blender! There are loads of computers with free fast internet and there is also free wifi. The tv lounge area is great with lots of bean bags and loads of dvds!! The staff are seriously friendly are really made us feel at home, encouraged us to leave our bags and hang around for as long as we wanted the day after we checked out because our bus wasn't leaving til late. Overall one of the best hostels I've stayed at!!!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms might be less noisy
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank orlaosullivan
Reviewed November 2, 2012

absolutely LOVED this place!!! ... after 4 months on the road this is one of the very best places we have stayed!

FREE INTERNET computers and WIFI! ...huge TV screen wit loads of dvds and comfy couches! :)

really friendly staff!.. guy that runs the place went out of his way to help us with anything we asked...

allowed us to use showers and computers and kitchen after we had checked out

safe free luggage storage too

aaaaaand there's free jellies on the reception desk!!!!! welcome sugar boost after struggling with a backpack!!!

we also stayed at My Place and checked out the YHA but this place is MUCH better and at 25 dollars is also cheaper.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends