“Excellent Hotel”

Adabco Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed at the Adabco for two nights in February of 2013. It is a smaller 'boutique style' hotel and we found it to be very very nice -- the room was quite large with everything we needed (including a small refrigerator and tea/coffee equipment & supplies) and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Continental breakfast was included, in a bright and cheerful kitchen area. The selection of food was somewhat limited but everything was fresh and tasty and was kept replenished. There is not much in the immediate area for restaurants or pubs but the staff were very good at giving suggestions and directions and so we found a lot of places within easy walking distance. (And not having anything right next to the hotel meant that it was very quiet!) There is also a 'common' kitchen available if you wanted to bring and cook your own meals. There was some sort of celebration going on in Adelaide at the time and so there was a lot of outdoor activity and events, which made things even better. The hotel was a bit of a walk from the train station but not too bad at all. (In the ratings, I did not give anything for the fitness center or room service but this was because we did not use these and so I am not even sure if either was available.)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,180)

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Adabco is a very nice small hotel and has a nice atmosphere about the place. The rooms are a good size, well fitted out and comfortable. And a nice suprise, the fridge is not filled with overpriced nuts and alcohol.
There are two well equipped kitchen/dining areas for guests use and the rest of the hotel is very tastefully decorated. A large lounge area has flat scree TV and two desktop PCs for guests to use, however WiFi is quite expensive.
The continental breakfast which is provided is all pretty cheap tastless stuff which could easily be improved with a little more money and imagination.
The reception staff are very helpful. There are some good restaurants within a few minutes walk and also there is a very good transport system is close by.
My wife and I stayed here for a week at the end of February. We enjoyed Adelaide and the hotel very much.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms at the rear of the Adabco have large trees against the windows.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We (Husband and myself) stayed here from 21/3/13 to 25/3/13 and we were very happy and impressed with this great boutique hotel and the value it represented. We asked for and got a quiet room at the end of a corridor, the room was large and well equipped and spotlessly clean. There was a fridge and tea making facilities. There was a large communal kitchen with large fridge freezer and 2 cookers and hobs plus a microwave and large preparation area on the same floor as our room. Having eaten out so much on this holiday I took the opportunity to do some "home cooking" and found it very easy in this kitchen. Tables and chairs were also provided to sit down and eat your meal. The Kitchen was never crowded but was used by various guests at various times mainly to cook chilled bought in food. There was no restaurant in the hotel but various places to eat within 10 minutes walk. A complimentary continental breakfast was provided every morning which was perfectly adequate to start the day. The hotel also had a good laundry with several washing and drying machines and an ironing facilities. Everywhere was very clean and the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. No bar in the hotel but of course you could take your own wine/beer in. We booked through Hotels.com and at £90 a night couldn't fault this gem of a place. Will definitely recommend this Hotel with an excellent.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annie M
Reviewed May 8, 2013

There were a number of odd things about this hotel which on their own would be un-noteworthy but from my point of view were quite annoying. These were due mostly to me being a single female traveller and I appreciate this is not the norm. My biggest beef would be the description in the ads about its CBD location. The hotel is surrounded by private clinics, dentists, schools, churches, and , in my opinion, not CBD. I arrived late on a Friday night, and until the Monday the area was dead. Now this makes for a quiet location but not for a woman to wander about in the dark on her own trying to find something to eat. The free tram is a short walk away but doesnt run in the evenings. I did not go back to the main restaurants and shops in the evenings having walked miles during the day getting anywhere. The nearest Coles and markets are more half a mile than half a kilometer away.
The hotel itself is interesting, its outside appearance of a venetian palaccio. It is bright and tidy inside. The check in staff very pleasant. The room was a decent size with more storage than any other hotel I have stayed in. But no safe. International travellers with their ipads, and passports etc like somewhere to lock things up. The bathroom was clean and bright but the modern sink and waterfall tap is form over substance - you cant fill the kettle without great difficulty. And there is nothing like enough shelf/storage space in here. The wooden shutters look good but the light in the room is poor, and with bars on the outside of the windows too made the room feel like a prison cell. Also as the windows wouldnt close properly there was a lot of outside noise as the room was above a loading bay and the bin area.
The bedroom doors dont deadlock, I am certain my door was unlocked several times before I realised this.
I found the included breakfast to be very basic and the room was very busy on the weekends and the items not replenished quickly. I didnt bother with the breakfast during the week as it finished at 9am which is too early.
I feel it would be churlish to rate this hotel as average as for business people, and couples it would be excellent. The cost is extremely good for a city hotel too. The kitchens are also a great feature if you are travelling with children. But I was disappointed with its location, I dont feel that the advertising was accurate, and if I had read more of the Trip Adviser reviews probably would not have stayed here. But as it was rated 7th I felt that it ticked all the boxes.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Elizabeth H
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Adabco Boutique Hotel on our anniversary. The hotel was delightful, clean and pretty. The rooms spacious and the beds comfy. Great central location away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The staff very friendly and always willing to help. We really enjoyed our stay. The only thing we hope they improve is the continental breakfast, as it is quite disappointing for a hotel of such calibre to have such a minimal breakfast. It would be great to see a few homemade cakes and a cappuccino machine. It would just be the icing on the cake. Well done guys. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Maria_Luc
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Boutique accommodation at a budget price. Very clean & comfortable. I liked staying here and will stay again. The share kitchen was much better than I expected, you could cook a complete meal there if you wanted. The continental breakfast was fresh and I liked being able to help myself.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with an even number. We stayed in 307 and it was a bit noisy and the light from an...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel a week ago and we were very impressed! The room size was excellent and beds very comfortable. Breakfast was great as we sat with other guests which was lots of fun.
The location was very good with some lovely restaurants close by. Also quite close to the tram.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends