“Very comfortable stay in an excellant location”
Review of Mantra on Frome

Mantra on Frome
Ranked #16 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed January 3, 2013

As a family of 3 we stayed here for 4 nights around christmas / new year . We really enjoyed our stay . The Hotel is in a great location and within easy walking distance of the excellant shops , cafes , restaurants and other attractions in central adelaide. We had a 2 bed apartment which was really comfortable and had all the facilities you would expect . For $15 a night we parked our car in the underground car park there . The receptionist (Catherine) was really helpful and gave us some good advice on places to visit in and around Adelaide. i would also recommend dining at Andre's Cucina Restaurant which is located next to the Hotel .

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Daniel A, General Manager at Mantra on Frome, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear David W

Thank you for your glowing review about your stay at Mantra on Frome.
We do pride ourselves on our service and I am pleased that you found Catherine to be so helpful.

It is always nice to hear that we were close proximity to all your requirements, and look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the not too distant future.

Daniel Ap-Thomas

Write a ReviewReviews (1,065)

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We arrived at the hotel reasonably early and didn't expect to be able to get into our room straight away. The receptionist asked us to fill in our details and took down our mobile number, advising us that she would call when the room was ready. We walked down the street and sat to have a coffee on rundle street and only an hour latter we had a phone call to say that our room was ready. The room was clean tidy and very comfortable. We stay in hotels often as my husband travels a lot for work and I would definatly recomend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: The Fitness centre and Swimming pool are at their other hotel but we were more than welcome to use t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joan J

Dear Joan J,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Mantra on Frome.
It is always nice to hear positive feedback especially when we are located in the close proximity to all your requirements.

We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I have family in Adelaide so have stayed in a few hotels in Adealide before. The location of this hotel is very ideal for restaurants and is on the quieter side of the city which I liked. Previously I have stayed in hotels on the otherside of the CBD, but this time being the East side I decided to take advantage of the beautiful Botanic Gardens that are a short walk away by taking my kids for a picnic there which was suggested to me by the young lady on the desk Donna who was so friendly towards myself and my family. She also gave my 5 year old son a colouring in pack which is a great idea.
My only complaint was that the restaurant downstairs was highly priced and not ideal for family dining. But again the front desk staff were more than happy to point me in the right direction for a family friendly restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Vacancies86

Dear Vacancies86,

Thank you for your glowing review about your stay at Mantra on Frome. It is always nice to hear positive feedback like this and especially when individuals step up and provide that extra mile. I will ensure to pass it onto those involved.

I would also like to thank you for the feedback regarding the restaurant. Although this is out of our hands, I will ensure to pass this information on to the owner and hopefully this will become a focal point for them moving forward.

We look forward to welcoming you both back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

My partner and I arrived at the hotel late Friday night, she was really tired from our travel down from the country and the receptionist relised this and helped to hurry along the checkin which was great! It is a pitty that the restaurant is closed for breakfast but the staff directed us to the other mantra a block away where they gave us a voucher for cheaper breakfast which was excellent! The staff on reception were so very helpful and showed us maps of where to go for shopping and eating! All in all we would come back and stay again!

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Will87j

Dear Will87j,

Thank you for your glowing review about your stay at Mantra on Frome. We do pride ourselves on our service and I am pleased that you found all the staff so helpful. Please except our apologise in regards to the restuarant situation at Frome, but it's always great to hear that the Mantra Sq Restuarant on Hindmarsh Square suited your needs.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights from 27th November. We stayed in a studio room which was quite large, equal in size to a standard 1 bedroom in other hotels. The room was clean, the staff were friendly and very helpful. There is a restaurant/bar in the hotel opposite reception which is now privately owned and was very noisy when we entered the hotel at night, but once we were in the lift to 3rd floor we didn't hear anything. I guess if people had the door to their balcony opened it would be noisy. The hotel is in a good location, just a short walk to the Rundle mall and lots of cafe/restuarants. Internet was available at a charge and there is a computer and printer in reception that costs $1 for 10 minutes, but if you want to print something (boarding pass) you have to put another $1 coin in the slot. I think free wi-fi internet should be available in all hotels these days. Apart from that we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Probably ask for a room on one of the higher levels if staying over the weekend to avoid noise from...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sak06

Dear Sak06,

Thank you for your glowing review about your stay at Mantra on Frome. It is always nice to hear positive feedback like this and I will ensure to pass it onto all the staff that were involved.

I would like to also thank you for the feedback regarding the internet kiosk, we have now reviewed this system and would like to report that you are now able to print boarding passes without charge. We look forward to welcoming you both back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with some friends on Friday 30th of November until Sunday 1st of December. We were a group of 4 girls. From the time we checked in we felt watched, which may have been due to the fact that the hotel was full of very noisy young people going to a music festival, and the assumption may have been that we were among that group. We continued to feel watched even after I told the receptionist we were in fact there for a girls weekend as one of us was getting married. The entire weekend we were very quiet and very carefully ensured there were no extra people in our room after 10pm as required.

We discovered on Saturday that the lift system had been changed, now requiring the use of the room key to access our floor. While I have no problem with the reasons for this being required, it caused significant delays in the system. I was in the lobby midday Saturday trying to get a lift up to my floor. I waited quite some time until a lift came down, only to find it full of housekeeping staff with no more room. I patiently waited until the doors had closed and all the indicating lights had gone off before I pressed the button again. The doors opened and I found it was still full with the same staff. One of the staff members in the lift very rudely and angrily yelled at me to not press the button again. At this time I also observed a staff member from Andre's having difficulty with the lift, the door continued to open and close multiple times while she was trying to use it. She angrily and loudly swore and slammed the card down on the counter, in front of hotel guests. Rather unprofessional displays of behavior from both her and the housekeeping staff member. I still had to wait some time for a lift.

Later that afternoon I discovered I had far less money in my account than I had expected. I called my bank and they were unable at that time to account for a transaction of $100 on my card. I became extremely upset and distressed, thinking that a stranger had access to my card. I was preparing to cancel my cards when I decided to check with the reception staff. The staff member on the desk at the time was a girl called Donna, she was the same girl there when we checked in. While I waited to speak to her I observed her checking in another couple. He handed her his credit card and I listened carefully to what she said to him. I noticed she said nothing about putting a hold on any funds at that time. Once the couple had finished I then asked her if any funds had been put on hold and she told me that $100 had been put on hold. When I politely asked if I had been told this upon check-in she became very rude insisting that I had and told me it was the bank that had it on hold, not the hotel. I found this rather irrelevant as it was initiated by the hotel. I apologised and told her I must have forgotten and explained that I was worried a stranger had access to my card. She continued to be rude to me. I later told a friend who also had a room booked at that time. She checked her account and saw that she too had $100 on hold that she had not been told about. She was also checked-in by Donna and had found her rude.

Our room was facing Grenfell Street. I expected that as with most good hotels, the sound would not be a problem. I was wrong. It was very difficult to get to sleep. Saturday morning, while trying to enjoy breakfast in our hotel, we were unable to open any windows as the guests in the room next to us were smoking and it was coming into our room.

Overall the room was clean and pleasantly set up, and the kitchen was sufficiently stocked for use. However due to the rudeness and unprofessional behavior of the staff, the distress caused by not being informed of funds being put on hold on my card, and the noisiness of the location, this is not somewhere I would recommend to anyone, nor stay at again myself.

Room Tip: Request a room away from grenfell and frome streets.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kahlia K
Daniel A, General Manager at Mantra on Frome, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear Kahlia K,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us at Mantra on Frome, it disappoints me to hear the feedback you have mentioned above. On one angle, I would like to apologise for our lifts as they were certainly having some teething issues which are slowly being ironed out.

When it comes to our front desk staff members being rude, I do not tolerate this and our management team will be following up this matter immediately.

I would like to invite you to contact me directly to discuss in more detail if you would like.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Hi, Stayed from Sunday night to Saturday. Location very convenient but it was really noisy as well. I think some of the noise came from a beach volleyball facilty over the road. Our neighbours were also on the rowdy side on Thursday and Friday night. It would be ok if you were on holiday and staying up to party but as we were working it didn't make for a fun stay. Restaurant in the hotel also didnt open for breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jodie J

Dear Jodie J,

It always disappoints me to hear of noise issues. Although this is often out of our control, I do appreciate you for taking the time to provide this feedback. If you were to choose to use us again, please feel free to contact me directly so we can ensure a high floor away from the road.

I look forward to hearing from you in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards