“Walking distance to everything.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Hotel Soho

Clarion Hotel Soho
Ranked #34 of 58 Hotels in Adelaide
Melbourne, Australia
“Walking distance to everything.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

Overall we really enjoyed our stay at the Soho. Room was a good size, bed was comfy, TV was great. The room service food was surprisingly good! Very impressed!! Shower could could have been hotter with more pressure. The mini bar wasn't that cold and the freezer did not appear to work as we bought ice cream to keep in there and it completely melted, which was annoying. We were traveling with a baby, so the metal shutters on the windows were fantastic as we could completely darken the whole room for her sleeps. Staff were always incredibly helpful and friendly. The rooftop heated spa/pool is awesome!! Amazing view while you relax in the water!! The best part is how incredibly close to everything this hotel is! Easy walking distance to Rundle St, Hutt St, the Botanical Gardens and the Zoo and the rest of the CBD. Only gripe was the construction site right outside our window, the noise early in the morning was very unwelcome!!

Room Tip: One on the opposite side to the construction.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

In a city such as Adelaide where nobody feels the need to try to hard, follow a trend or make a huge statement, the Clarion Hotel Soho compliments the allure and mystic of the Adelaide heartbeat and culture. I have stayed at the Clarion 1 to 4 nights up to 4 times a year for 6 years and I describe the hotel as my 'favourite hotel in the world' to stay. It is intimate and quiet with a bed which is more comfortable than my own. Added to this the king sized pillows, the oversized mini bar, large TV and exceptional front desk staff & room service make for a enjoyable stay every time.

Room Tip: Corner Balcony Suite
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Heath A A
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

First impressions last so when we walked into the lobby and we were greeted by the unpleasant smell of cigarettes- I was slightly worried. Unfortunately the cleanliness of the room also left a sour impression and I had to give it the once over with a damp cloth to remove dust and a strange stain on the kitchen benchtop. The positives are that the service was friendly, the carpark was cheap and it was only down the road from a very cute market. Stayed here when it first opened, came back to have another look and now I know not to come back.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank imnotacarrot
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

I stayed here for two nights on business. I had previously stayed at the Crowne Plaza several times but decided to try this one on the recommendation of a colleague. I am glad I did. It is a small hotel in a quiet yet still central location with its own onsite bistro and lots of personality. My room was small but very nicely set up and very stylish. The bathroom in particular was great. Of course, as a general rule of thumb the 'funkier' a place is, the dimmer the lighting is and that is the case here - very dark halls and very low lighting in the rooms can make it difficult if you want to do some work.

I enjoyed a nice breakfast in the cosy onsite café downstairs (also apparently open for dinner and room service, although it closed inexplicably early both nights I was there which was a bit annoying).

Overall though I did think it was very good - but perhaps it is better for the leisure traveller rather than the business traveller.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

Our experience with the Clarion Soho started and ended ok, but certain things have left us with a mediocre feeling. I loved the location and the friendly staff and the room (105) looked great for $130 pn with a modern design and condiments. But upon closer inspection we found some power points didn’t work and the bathroom hadn’t been cleaned properly (soiled toilet paper in the bowl, shower was wet like someone had just gotten out of it) and too small to move around in properly. When we were in bed later on we started to smell sewage coming from somewhere other than the bathroom. Notifying reception saw them fumigate the room somehow while we waited in the restaurant where they gave us a complimentary drink.

We woke to the sound of construction outside our window (which is not uncommon for the CBD I suppose, but maybe this information could be communicated beforehand, or ear plugs offered?).

Room Tip: Higher up, facing east so you don't get the construction noise at the moment.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

Great location, nice stroll to the restaurant precincts of Hutt & Rundle St. Great front desk service, friendly staff. Very good, super comfy king size bed and room set up. The heavy rain made a pretty consistent annoying loud drip sound on the metal window shutters. Shower not so great. Water pressure could be stronger, no air vent and couldn't help but saturate the floor. Toilet squished between the shower and basin so I had to awkwardly manoeuvre my arm to get to the toilet paper. Really happy with the 'amenita' brand of toiletries being Australian owned and not tested on animals. The artwork in my room looked like someone's high school project. Not impressive enough to make a point of it when booking. Room service was un available on Sunday night which I don't mind but would have been better if they could recommend someone in the area so I didn't have to chase up a pizza myself seeing as their restaurant was closed. We loved an evening swim in the heated spa pool looking out over ADL. I would definitely stay at the Clarion Soho again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeannie T
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

I booked this hotel for a surprise trip to Adelaide for my Mum's Birthday. Great location, away from all the touristy part of Adelaide. The hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming each and every time. The room was very clean, refreshed on our second day and had pretty good facilities. Loved that we could borrow DVDs but they should update their list as probably half the DVDs were not there in their library. Negatives would be that the shower could do with a door, the water would spray everywhere on the floor around the toilet. Need a fan in the bathroom. The shower temperature could not be changed to any hotter which would have been great as it was quite cold out. The heater did not really heat the room, which again would have been great given the weather.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family