“I won't go there again”

Dining options: Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“I won't go there again”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The reviews on this place I note are quite mixed. On the basis of my recent visit I wouldn't go there again.

On first impressions the bistro holds a lot of promise. It is a small cosy establishment and initially I thought we would enjoy some good french food.

Things started off poorly with waiter showing little interest is getting us pre dinner drinks until all of of our party of 6 had arrived. I opted for 2 of specials bing a pate and moroccan lamb. The waiter advised that I would also need to order bread as I would probably need this with the pate. We also order a series of side dishes for the mains.

The pate was a small serving and was quite bland. The bread consisted of a small roll sliced into around 6 pieces. The real disappointment was the moroccan lamb which was a really a lamb and potatoe stew. At $32 you could really do much better.

My friends dishes were equally uninspiring.

Also, to access the toilet you leave have to leave the bistro and cross a small lane. On a pleasant evening this is no hardship but a problem if its cold or raining.

Adelaide, Australia
“Bastille Day celebration.”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The restaurant was very busy and quite noisy. The birthday party upstairs was loud and made it difficult to talk downstairs. The food was delicious and the salmon fillet on special was moist, pink inside and cooked to perfection. My friend's creme caramel was sublime, light, creamy and so delicious. We enjoyed the meal though it was quite pricey. However I will not be booking again if there is another large party upstairs.

Adelaide, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,045 helpful votes
“Excellent food, service and ambience on my first visit to this establishment”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The Corner Bistrot is a longstanding French bistro in the Leigh Street restaurant precinct.

I visited for the first time this week.

Prior to writing this review, I have read the recent negative reviews.

My experience (on a Thursday evening) was a good one: we received good service, from a charming French server, and the food was good.

I had the vol au vent with prawns in Pernod and saffron sauce as an appetiser- this was excellent, with a delightful flavor.

For main, I had a special dish on offer that evening: duck breast with black cherries- it was very nice.

Then, for dessert, I had profiteroles filled with vanilla ice cream and topped with chocolate sauce.

The service was friendly, professional and timely.

My friends and I had a delightful evening.

It's not inexpensive- our cost was about AUD100 per head.

On the strength of my experience, this establishment is well worth a visit.

Christchurch, New Zealand
“French Food”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This place has the best food in Adelaide.
The owners and front of house staff are French and lovely.
The selection of food and wine is great and we have dined here on numerous occasions.
However, don't expect to make a telephone booking as the call does not get answered.
The restaurant is meant to be open from 6.00pm and even has a sign that says it is open for lunch, ( something we haven't done). But we did show up on a Wednesday night of our wedding anniversary at 7.00pm and found that they weren't open.
We were a little miffed but that aside we would go back for another great indulgence.
Jan & Kev

Visited April 2013
Wollongong
“Wonderful”
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

I stumbled on this place. I would never have visited if I read the reviews but it was awesome. The service was great and authentic and the food spectacular.

Try the veal with mushrooms. The best veal I've had.

The cheese plate - spectacular.