“Took a while to get their act together”

Adelaide Meridien Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #21 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Macleay Island, Australia
“Took a while to get their act together”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

We booked the Meridien for our annul general meeting over the weekend of 25 - 28 October 13. Our meet and greet on the Friday night was a disaster as the finger food was almost non existent for the first hour and as some guests joined the happy hour before the meet we needed food, we had each paid $26 for this. I along with others left to go down the street to eat. By the time we got back it was all over, not a good start.
The Saturday nights formal dinner was completely different as the management had been advised of the night before. Our dinner was a complete success. The staff were very good on both nights, it was the management who let them down on the Friday night.
The accommodation is very roomy and very clean.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Keithmay7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Mascot, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed here for the first time but definitely not the last. Comfortable roomy apartment, great restaurant, brilliant coffee and friendly staff 5 minutes from the centre of town. Highly recommended. Car parking outside, no extra charge. Surrounded by lovely coffee shops and restaurants.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank liz77_12
Manager2139, General Manager at Adelaide Meridien Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your first stay with us and I am truly delighted to hear it won't be your last.

The team has already read your review and really appreciated your positive comments.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Fiona Hehir
Grindelwald, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed one night to attained a workshop being held in one of their conference rooms. I checked in very early and was able to go straight to my room and free parking - big bonuses! Reception staff were friendly , the room was spotlessly clean and well appointed, the bed comfortable and although my room was noisy due to traffic noise, I enjoyed my stay.

A small balcony overlooked the street, but smokers appear to use these balconies, as there are ashtrays provided and I could smell smoke from the inside of my room.

Great location close to cafe's and walking distance to the CBD.

Room Tip: Chose an executive room at the back of the hotel. Front rooms experience traffic noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of your stay with us earlier in the month. A number of our country visitors prefer the car park side rooms so they don't have the traffic noise so a great tip for other travellers.
We have discussed what we can do do ensure that outside smoking does not impact on our guest rooms and hope to have a solution soon.
I am glad that our staff were able to ensure your experience of the hotel was enjoyable and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Cerveteri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

La stanza prenotata era un appartamento con camera da letto, living area e kichenette. Che dire, la kichenette era davvero molto "ette" senza piastre per cucinare e un forno a microonde appoggiato di taglio su un divisorio di legno sopra al piccolo lavandino. L'arredamento molto datato e veramente appena sufficiente. Il bagno con doccia a tendina piccolo e con porta scorrevole. Il tv a schermo piatto è presente solo nella living area, aspetto vecchio e trasandato, di tutta la struttura. Lo staff molto distaccato e appena sufficiente. (siamo arrivati alle 21:50 e per alcuni minuti siamo rimasti chiusi fuori dalla reception perchè non era indicato nessun campanello da suonare).

the room booked was an apartment with a bedroom, living area and kichenette. That said, the kichenette was really "ette" without plates for cooking and a microwave posed on a wooden wall above the small sink. The decor very dated and really just enough. The bathroom with sliding door with small shower closed with a plastic curtain.
A large flat-screen TV is present only in living area.
The whole structure looks old and shabby. The staff very detached and just enough (we arrived at 21:50 and for a lot of minutes we were locked out from the front desk because there wasn't indicated a bell to ring).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikesierra52
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

This place is looking pretty old and tired, but it has some pleasant surprises about it. The staff are mostly pretty friendly. I did watch a lady at breakfast send her fruit salad back to the kitchen because it had a huge long hair in it and the waitress was quite rude stating, "none of the staff even have long hair." Regardless, there was a hair in her breakfast and the staff should be super apologetic and go out of their way to help a customer.

My room was dull to say the least in terms of colours and furnishings, but it was nice and large with plenty of shelf space for all my gear. The room was spotlessly clean and the bathroom, although old and tired, was also spotlessly clean. The bed was pretty good in terms of comfort and the sheets were crisp and clean. The old crappy iron left much to be desired. The air conditioner is as old as the hills. It is confusing to use with a warning sign stating that it you move this switch to this point it will freeze up and die. It was a really cold week in Adelaide and I had mine going constantly and eventually it heated up the room, but it struggled. At one stage it simply stopped working and the room got so cold).

I ordered room service all 3 nights I was there and the food was delivered quickly and the staff were very friendly. I tried three different dishes. Two were excellent but the burger I tried was pretty average. It tasted like a packet patty bought from a freezer isle. I had breakfast in the dining room each morning which was included in the package I paid for. You order a specific dish rather than use a buffet and my brekky each day was excellent. Coffee was good but nothing too special.

The location is pretty nice. North Adelaide is a lovely spot and there are plenty of excellent coffee shops and restaurants within metres of your front door. I spent Sunday afternoon at The Lion Hotel up the road enjoying a nice brew while listening to live music. A nice way to spend a Sunday arvo in North Adelaide I reckon. There's a reason The Lion has won awards, it's a great place with a great vibe and really nice staff. Totally recommend you duck up there.

You can walk the city if you like. It's about 3kms (or a little more) but it's all flat and there's some beautiful architecture, parks and homes to enjoy on the way. There are plenty of buses right outside your front door if you'd prefer that though.

Check out wasn't so good. The young girl serving me was clearly new and on her own and struggled to work out what I was to pay for room service. She finally got an older lady to come out and help but she was pretty gruff, almost rude. It took so long that I missed my bus (hence how I discovered that you can walk to the city). The older lady also decided to start serving another person before she had finished with me, and that person also commented to me on her gruffness.

All in all, what this places lacks in modern looks and furnishings it makes up for with mostly friendly staff, good prices, and location. I attended a conference while there which was also at this venue and most of the delegates agreed that it's big downfall is that it is looking old and tired. The food at the conference was excellent but things like pokey, old toilets and access to the conference room via "rabbit warren" hallways detracted from it. Most of us on our feedback sheets suggested they find a better venue or ask these guys to think about a bit of a refurbish. If you pay $500 for a two day conference plus travel and accommodation, you expect the standard to be pretty high.

I don't know if I'd stay here again to be honest, but if you're not too fussy and want somewhere cheap-ish to stay in North Adelaide, this place ticks enough boxes.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Geoffreyallan
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. It is great to get feedback so we can address any problems guests may have experienced. It is disappointing to hear any of our staff not performing to our usual expectations but the review process gives us a valuable tool for staff training so hopefully we can rectify these things. I am glad the rest of the team were friendly and helpful as this is something we pride ourselves on.

Your feedback about the cafe has been mentioned to our food and beverage team so we can address the areas needed.

We are in the process of a little refresh with carpets, paint etc and are looking at lighting changes in the conference rooms to update these areas.

I do really appreciate all of the positive comments you also made with regard to other aspects of the hotel and I do agree that there are some lovely places in the vicinity for a relaxing walk or to while away an afternoon.

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Very pleased with our stay. Huge room (with an enormous TV) and massive bathroom (with an excellent shower), everything was clean and organised. The staff were extremely friendly and happy to direct us around to good local café's and bars. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank empendles
Manager2139, General Manager at Adelaide Meridien Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your experience with us. Our friendly team is dedicated to making our guests stay as relaxed and enjoyable as possible and it is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
Hope to see you back in Adelaide again.
Warm regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hotel is nice enough for the price,the only problem I had was with one of the ladies at reception,she was older and heaps bossy and thought she owned the place,so watch out for her,otherwise nice rooms

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank North6789
Manager2139, General Manager at Adelaide Meridien Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts as feedback is really important to us. I am really pleased to hear that in most areas you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your feedback with our front office team and we will continue to focus on improving our service. If you would like to contact me to discuss the problem you had please don't hesitate to call or email fiona@adelaidemeridien.com.au.