“Good location, comfortable room, nice restaurant”

Adelaide Meridien Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #20 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I booked a 4 night stay through a group-buying website for a great price, which gave me an executive suite, complimentary breakfast daily for 2 people and buy 1 get 1 free for lunch or dinner for 4 visits in the Perfect Cup Cafe, located on the ground floor of the hotel. It was excellent value for money! Flying in from Brisbane, I arrived at 10:30am and was able to check into my room straight away. This was great. The bus stop is located right outside and there was free bike hire too. My partner and I ordered from the restaurant each day and had most meals delivered to our room (partner had just come out of hospital). All of the meals (except 1- the roast vegetable salad) were delicious and excellent value for money, even excluding the vouchers we were given. The aforementioned salad did not have a single walnut, as stated on the menu so I rang the desk and the lady said she would fix it for me (I didn't feel like waiting for a new one) or take it off my bill (well we had paid upfront and it was buy 1 get 1 free anyway so I didn't worry but it was definitely the worst salad I've ever had...unlike the night before when I ordered the warm chicken salad- HIGHLY recommend! I digress...) The room was serviced on the second day, with fresh towels and toiletries (this was lovely, however I had hung my towel up as requested to save water from washing). On the third night, I noticed a wet patch on the carpet and realised the air-conditioner was dripping water. I dried it with a towel and turned the air-con off but the night was hot so I phoned reception next morning who said they would send over maintenance in the afternoon. We kept the air-con off all day and opened the balcony doors but maintenance did not come (we were in the room all day). I notified reception that evening when we ordered dinner and she was very apologetic and said someone would be in the next day (we were checking out the next day). She said we could turn the air-con on so we did but had to use the bin as a bucket and empty it a few times. Not a major problem but a bit of a nuisance. Overall I had a pleasant time and was pleased with my stay- until checkout when I left with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I was informed that I owed $39.95 from a breakfast and dinner. This was NOT the case- we received FREE breakfast each day (using the vouchers reception gave us upon check-in) AND when we ordered lunch/dinner using the buy 1 get 1 free vouchers, we ALWAYS paid then and there because I did NOT want to have a bill at checkout. The lady called the restaurant then asked me for my receipts. I did not have the receipts on me, although I remember throwing the exact receipt in question in the bin that morning. She cleared the bill for me, which I was grateful for, but the whole thing made me feel annoyed. There was no apology (I understand they cannot just take my word for it) but it was a disappointing way to leave. MY ADVICE: keep EVERY receipt and make it CLEAR to the person serving you at the restaurant whether you wish to pay now or charge it to your room. Other than that, the bed was big and comfy, curtains kept every inch of light out at night, modern big TV with few good movie channels and convenient location. Not flashy, but all we needed.

Room Tip: KEEP all receipts! Perfect Cup Cafe is well worth trying- delicious menu at reasonable prices
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

I always stay here when in Adelaide and never had a bad experience. $20 cab from airport, surrounded by great places to eat. I always get the executive rooms they are worth the extra $10 with spacious and slightly more up dated decor. Rooms are always clean and the service wonderful!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The shorts package with an executive studio and breakfast included was great value. The room and furnishings were good and everything was clean. The staff in Reception and in the cafe were efficient and very friendly. And free wi-fi- which was nice change from the usual rip-off charges that are all too common. The location is great - lots of cafes in easy walking distance and the city is a 15 minute walk or 5 minute bus ride away.

Room Tip: Executive rooms overlooking the car park are quieter and also get the early morning sun.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Peter C
Reviewed October 24, 2012

nothing flashy about this hotel, but it gets the job done. i stayed her on several occasions for business as the client was within walking distance of the hotel. located in North Adelaide it's away from a lot of the amenities the bigger hotels would have. there are several restaurants around the area, but don't stay open too late as it's a quiet part of town.

the rooms are basic but spacious. very dated, but at least there was a large flat panel TV in the room. the interior of the hotel is quite odd with random space between the rooms...making it feel a bit awkward.

the restaurant downstairs was actually pretty good and i usually ate breakfast there daily. this is my usual go to place as far as hotels go since several clients are nearby. nothing fancy about this place, but it gets the job done.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank themattkim
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We chose the shorts package with the executive studio room, which come with a complimentary bottle of wine and breakfast for two in the perfect cup cafe. We had an easy Check-in with lovely staff. Hotel was easy to find with lots of car parks available when we arrived, was nice not to be charged for parking.
Room was lovely and clean, very modern. Beds were amazingly comfortable, best night sleep I have ever had at a hotel before! The 42 inch flat screen tv, balcony and an ipod dock were a nice surprise, considering the room was only $180 per night.
The only thing I found disappointing was the bathroom didn't have an exhaust fan and the floor gets quite wet when showering, the drain seem to be in the wrong place. It would be a lot nicer to have shower doors instead of shower curtains.
We had our complimentary breakfast in the Perfect Cup Cafe, staff were friendly. Very quick service, our meals were ready within 10 minutes and absolutely delicious!
Will definitely be staying here every time we visit Adelaide

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank TiffTj88
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Aged accommodation with less than basic half refurbished rooms, stiff, hard beds and flufflless uncomfortable pillows. Greeting stuff were surly at best.

Place needs some serious cash injected into it. There are plenty of other places in the same price range that offer much better accommodation.

Saving grace? Proximity to Melboune St and the test of North Adelaide.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Ruski82
Reviewed October 8, 2012

It has been maybe four years since we last stayed here, and at that time it was becoming fairly shabby. We travelled with a group recently and the accommodation was organised by that group to stay at the Meridien. I must say it is a lot better.
The public areas have been recarpeted and redesigned and look much better.
The rooms have been repainted and recarpeted too and altogether look a good deal better. The bathroom is still much the same but is quite ok and at least has plenty of bench space by the basin for all the sponge bags etc.
The are new beds which are a bit too firm for me, and the pillows were remarked by all as being way too hard, but I still slept adequately. There was a little traffic noise but nothing terrible.
The set menu dinner our group had was very tasty but a bit on the small side. Breakfast was a combination of continental buffet foods and a cooked plate of bacon and eggs, which was all perfectly acceptable.
I would like to give the staff an honourable mention as they all behaved very well indeed and cooperated with our various needs - thank you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank CoolMum64
Manager2139, General Manager at Adelaide Meridien Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

The team at the Adelaide Meridien are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay and that you have noticed the changes we have made in the last couple of years.

Your feedback regarding pillows is very helpful as we have recently been discussing whether there is a demand for other options.

I will be sure to share this feedback with the team and we hope to welcome you back sometime soon!