“Beautiful rooms, stunning location... let down by poor service and attention to detail”
Review of Qualia Resort

Qualia Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
London
Reviewed November 16, 2009

As per last rshah21's review, service was not up to scratch for what claims to be a 6 star resort.
Here's what we put on the hotel feedback form:

"Disappointing. Poor attention to detail
Examples are numerous, including -
(1) Unable to take a bath because of missing bath plug.
(2) No bottle opener in room - would expect there to be a checklist of required items (ticked off) before check-in.
(3) Dinner took an hour an a half to be served - no apologies for delay + food was cold.
(4) Cleaning items were left in the room after service
(5) Incorrect charges to room account - assigned without any signature.
(6) Incorrect transfer and luggage collection times.
(7) Poor room service menu.
I would like to hear from you regarding the above. Thanks.
* For balance, would say that all issues were promptly seen to. However, the issues should not have arisen in the first place.
This is the first time I've given negative feedback for a 5* hotel. The fact I chose Qualia for my honeymoon makes this even more disappointing."

Despite the fact that we asked specifically to be contacted to discuss our comments, 3 weeks on we are still waiting for Qualia to make contact.

Finally I would add that as other reviews state, the resort is stunning, as is the location, but for the price this hotel charges, you expect service to be perfect too.

8 Thank bowerm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
london
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Qualia is a very beautiful hotel with stunning views, but unfortunately it stops there. The venue may be 5*, but the service is not! Most of the staff are unfriendly and seem to be going through the motions. You have to constantly ask for water at all meals. There is NO atmosphere here at all. The food is good - but then everything else on the island is fried rubbish, so that is not hard. Perhaps if you stay here for only a couple of nights then you will have an amazing time and be ready to move on - but any longer and the cracks begin to show. Even when we checked out the receptionist kept taking phone calls and asking us to wait - it was totally understaffed. Had to always ask for shower gell, toliet rolls and towles for the room??? this is not what you expect for $1200 a night. The shower in the room was terrible, either too hot or freezing, the beach is just pebbles and you cant walk on it without shoes - note this!!!! There was hardly ever any pool service - basically the list goes on - do not expect 5 * service here.

Reading the good reviews I can only think that these guys stayed between 2 - 4 days, perhaps that is all Qualia is good for, a long weekend break from the city.

It must be noted that there were some really good, friendly staff - just a few, but they were good, it just a shame that the others let them down. The others basically made you feel like they were doing you a favour everytime you asked for something and found it very difficult to even smile!

11 Thank truthtraveller_9
Washington DC
Reviewed November 15, 2009

The location on Hamilton Island on the Great Barrier Reef was pristine. The Windward Pavilion we stayed in was luxurious, including the private infinity plunge pool. But... well, I would not recommend it to friends. I'd like to believe I'm not the super-snotty type of visitor (of which there were plenty there), but if you claim that you're a six star resort, and you charge prices over what the Ritz and Four Seasons resorts charge in the States, then that's the bar that you set for your service. And we didn't get that level of service. I can understand that if we come in early a pavilion may not available immediately for us. But we shouldn't need to track down staff to get updates. When you give us a golf buggy, but give us the wrong key, it's not our fault - don't act like it is. When the pavilion is ready, the deck furniture shouldn't be filthy. When a guest asks that a dish be prepared without shrimp / prawns, it shouldn't come out with two big shrimp on top of the dish.... the issues go on. Service was slow, spotty, and at times unprofessional. I'm guessing that we came in at the top of the season for them, and there was a lot of training going on, but that just doesn't let a resort like this get away with anything less than a perfect experience. However, my biggest peeve, far and away, is that throughout our stay there, we were NEVER "Mr and Mrs. XYZ" we were always "Pavilion AB". Service is not calling a person a number.

7 Thank rshah21
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2009

We stayed at Qualia in late October for 4 nights. It was a special holiday (without the children!) for our 15th wedding anniversary.

The resort is divine, the views are amazing, the rooms spacious and well appointed (we stayed in a Leeward Pavilion) and the amenities fantastic. The staff are very friendly, helpful and polite. We did have a few hiccups with the restaurant with meals ordered taking a little while to come out, or some things we ordered were a little messed up, but overall the experience was a very positive one.

We met with the manager and his assistant for drinks on the helipad at sunset, which was a lovely touch. The helicopter ride to Whitehaven Beach and over the Great Barrier Reef is something I will never forget. The use of our golf buggy to get around the island made eventhing so accessible and added to the laid back feel of the island.

We were very impressed with the island as a whole, and wouldn't hesitate in going back again.

3 Thank physiegirl
surrey, united kingdon
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Have stayed at many 5* properties over the years, and this beats the lot.
The rooms are fantastic, all large, we had a Windward Pavillion which gives you a plunge pool and I believe bigger rooms. Every room overlooks the sea. Lay in bed, which by the way is sooooo comfortable, and you have the most panoramic views.

It would have been nice if there had been an umbrella with the two sun loungers, the sun was too hot to use them. It would also have been nice if there had been a ceiling fan in the outdoor room, which had a table and chairs, a day bed, and the plunge pool, because again it got too hot, and this is only October! Also the day bed was sat against a wall, there was no need for this as there was plenty of space, and so the person using that side of the bed could not put drinks anywhere. This is all minor, but as everything else is so perfect, it is a shame not to get these things right. One bigger gripes is that Guest Services did not seem to know the details of what was going on at the hotel. They took out booking for dinner on Friday night even though we were already on the guest list for the ballet event going on there. And they did not know the details of where lunch might be taken, at that time.

The food is very good, the service is slightly erratic, mostly it was first class. Although occasionaly we did not get all of what we had ordered, and sometimes it got a bit slow. Although on our last day when we had to be out of our room at 11 when we went to breakfast, at 8.45 it took over an hour to get our breakfast and had to complain twice before they admitted they had not put it in the computer, so consequently we did not get back to our rooms until 10.15 and was only given an extension until 11.30, which meant our packing was rushed rather than leisurely.

We did the have a picnic on a private beach - It is just the best, you arrange a time and they take you free of charge by boat to a beach and when you get there, there is an very large umbrella set up with mattresses and towels, and snorkelling gear. Order a bottle of wine to eat with your picnic. Fab. They leave you there for 2 hours or so, Unfortunately whilst we were on the beach, we had a torrential downpour, which really doesnt matter as you have your ukmbrella or are in the water, but they rushed back from base to give us kagools to protect us, and then went off again. What service.

Whitehaven beach is a must see, I kept thinking why it is only a beach, and it is, but what a beach.

The best bit was that we were lucky enough to be there for the ballet event they were holding at the weekend. The ballet was held in the evening air around the pool, it was fantastic. there was a cocktail party around the pool first and a dinner between the pool and the beach for 130 people. They were so efficient, it all went brillantly, we had requested a table to ourselves, and they looked after us spendidly nothing was too much trouble. The food was excellent and so was the wine.

They also had a dinner to welcome the ballet the night before, we knew of the dinner but had not put our names down for it, and were embarassed when we went for our evening mea to findl that they had apparantly waited for us but had to start in the end. I did not want to join a large table, I was not dressed for it, and the Hostess without any quibbles offered to set up a table for us at the other end of the pavillon, and she was just the best, I am so impressed she took time to talk with us, and make sure we were being looked after, and she came back later and invited us to the question and answer section with the ballet. I was bowled over by her generosity. She had so much to look after, but she still looked after us. And it was not just on this occasion either.

To sum up there were small niggles but it is impossible to please everyone 100% of the time, and they certainly do a good job of trying to please here.

The Hostess (who has blond hair and wears red rimmed glasses - I am slightly deaf so did not get her name) ) was just the best, I give 100 out of 10 for her unflappability and desire to please.

Finally I had left a couple of items of clothing when I left, the Hostess with the mostess actually rang me at my next destination (which she had only discovered on our last chat as we were leaving) to let me know, and kindly sent them on. Most hotels never let you know.

There is much more I could mention but GO AND SEE FOR YOURSELVES

3 Thank Gilly12
Florida
Reviewed November 1, 2009

If there is such a place as paradise it is here. Qualia hasa breathtaking beauty. We throughly enjoyed every moment of our stay. The food was creative, delicious and presented with style, waiter service was top of the line. The champagne/hors d'oeuvres sunset cruise was first class. Meeting the GM Jason on the helli pad outside his residence for sunset drinks/ hors d'oeurves was a setting and a great way to meet other guest, it was fun when the hellicopter landed too. At the Spa I had an outstanding facial and the cost was the same as I have paid else where. Great gym.. what a view why you work out. The golf cars is a great way to get about, every pavillion has their own. So much to do at Qualia, we sailed on a catamaran enjoying the tranquility of the island.
We had three days here, wish it had been longer.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank J12119
Melbourne
Reviewed October 28, 2009

My partner and I stayed at Qualia for our anniversary this year and it was just AMAZING! I am a travel agent, so have stayed in many very nice hotels around the world and would have to say that Qualia is one of the best I have experienced. The rooms we very modern, clean and comfortable. They were also very big and spacious. Our plunge pool was very private and provided a lovely alternative to swimming in the public area pools. Food was amazing. The staff went out of their way to assist when needed, but also stayed out of the way when they weren't. Staff even went out of their way to organise the most romantic beach drop off with french champagne and a seafood picnic as my partner had arranged in advance with them that he would be proposing to me during our stay. Overall a fabulous experience, one I will never forget.

1 Thank scLoves2travel
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#5 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Qualia Resort? Share your experiences!