“Amazing Experience, exceptional stay”
Review of Qualia Resort

Qualia Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Melbourne
“Amazing Experience, exceptional stay”
Reviewed October 28, 2009

My partner and I stayed at Qualia for our anniversary this year and it was just AMAZING! I am a travel agent, so have stayed in many very nice hotels around the world and would have to say that Qualia is one of the best I have experienced. The rooms we very modern, clean and comfortable. They were also very big and spacious. Our plunge pool was very private and provided a lovely alternative to swimming in the public area pools. Food was amazing. The staff went out of their way to assist when needed, but also stayed out of the way when they weren't. Staff even went out of their way to organise the most romantic beach drop off with french champagne and a seafood picnic as my partner had arranged in advance with them that he would be proposing to me during our stay. Overall a fabulous experience, one I will never forget.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scLoves2travel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Sion, Switzerland
Reviewed October 21, 2009

positive thing:
the buggy car to move alone is very nice, but if you have children they stay in the villa, the buggy is only for 2!
you don't pay minibar (exclude alcolich) and the food at the restuarant, but try only the pool restaurant that is absolutely valid

negative:
the staff is terrible unfirendly, each question you do, they reponse: - unfortuntatly is not possible- always!
the restaurant serve a very uneatble food, also other guest think this of the main restaurant, limited choice and terribly taste
the sea in front of the hotel is horrible and the beach isn't there, only stones and the sea water is polluted with a bad smell and colour.
very expensive for a lot of thing that doesn't work!
the room is very dirty, hair in the bed, dust under the bed, windows and mirror not clean
in the morning a lot of light enter in the room and air condition doesn't work.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
15 Thank AstrieWallerk
Sydney
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I recently visited the Whitsunday Islands in the Great Barrier Reef in sunny Queensland, Australia. Trish (my wife) and I got away for a few days from Sydney and were fortunate to stay at Qualia which is a 5 star resort on Hamilton Island. It took us just over 2 hours on a direct flight from Sydney with Virgin Blue Airlines.
Now this was more than a break in 28 degree centigrade temperatures..for starters the aqua blue water colour sets the mood when you walk off the plane, then you are greeted by Qualia transport staff who take you in airconditioned private transport to your awaiting room. (Well actually they call them Pavillions).
When you arrive at the resort foyer you enter the long Pavillion and a world of blue ocean vistas and luxury accommodation.
We were fortunate to stay in a windward Pavillion which was so private with inside and outdoor showers, a huge lounge area with flat screen TV, our own private plunge pool and a balcony area with a day bed (just in case you wanted an outdoor snooze). All had panoramic views of the islands.
The restaurants and facilities at Qualia were first class. I enjoyed sailing on the resort owned hoby catamarans. The personal golf cart ensured we were able to get around the greater Hamilton Island at our leisure where we enjoyed a range of restaurants, a twilight cruise on a yacht called Banjo Patterson and a majestic view from the highest point on the Island called Pacific Peak (free hike for 3 klms, need to be reasonably fit but it is worth it)
Now let me tell you about the Golf.
Next door to Hamilton is the newly completed Hamilton island Golf course. For any golfer this is a must and I expect it will become one of the must do's in the golfing world. For a course that opened in September 2009 it was remarkably established. The course is spread across the top of Dent island and designed by Peter Thompson (5 times British Open Champ) to take advantage of the incredible Whitsunday views. Every hole has stunning ocean backdrops.(similar to Kauri Cliffs)
The good news is that the tees can accomodate c grade golfers making it a pleasure t play for all. Take plenty of balls. I play off 11 handicap and although I lost only 1 ball I believe the average is higher. I hired Callaway clubs so you dont need to take your clubs.
The clubhouse is beautifully appointed and serves a good standard of cuisine with a full bar service.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank raptt
London
Reviewed October 4, 2009

This was our second visit to Qualia. Overall the food, service and facilities are the best I have experienced in recent times in Australia. I would recommend Qualia for a relaxing stay with great food/spa for 3-5 day stays and is a great base to explore the reef and Whitehaven beach. Food is included, wine is extra, but is generally reasonably priced. Flights in are very convenient and staff take care of luggage at the airport, so you will be relaxing as soon as you arrive.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rum99
Wamberal, NSW
Reviewed October 3, 2009

Qualia the resort and its dedicated staff made our 3 night stay an exquisite experience. The accommodation (we stayed in the Windward) made you relax as soon as you arrived. The dining was first rate and the environment is unmatched in beauty - highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ambience_Estate
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I have no idea where the previous reviewer stayed (who rated it 1 out of 5). I am fussy, very fussy (love Aman, Four Seasons, Oberoi etc), and I thought it rated 5 stars. The GM is ex-Four Seasons in Thailand, and you can tell. I think this is the first hotel in Australia, outside of a city, that has service absolutely nailed. I love the Aussie way - a bit laid back, relaxed, but it's not always conducive to 5 star service - when people will go out of their way to help you, pre-empt your requests & go the extra mile. It is definitely 5 star service here.

We stayed in a Windward pavilion, which is much larger than a Leeward pavilion, & had it's on plunge pool. If you can, go for a Windward. We had a beautiful view, directly over the water. We could see another pavilion to our left, but it was angled away from us, and at no time could the occupants see us or us see them. Great to have proper privacy. The pavilions are beautifully decked out. We had huge deck, day bed, 2 sun-loungers, table & 3 chairs by our little pool. Inside was a spacious living area, bar fridge (stocked with foie gras & brie!), ice machine, proper tea & coffee. Large bedroom. In fact about my only niggle is that they say it was a king size bed, but it most definitely wasn't, but it was a queen which is fine. Luxuriously large bathroom, egg-shaped bath (surprisingly comfortable), double shower etc. And views, views, views.

Lots of place make a big fuss about having 'butler service'. Everywhere we've stayed that has this means basically that they've got a great concierge who can organise anything & a good guest services. This is what Qualia has. Nothing was too much trouble. Dinner reservations, acitivities suggestions, more tea in our room, specific time for house-keeping, breakfast picnic on the beach....... The staff are on the ball, willing to help and professional - which is not that common in an Aus beachy resort place.

Two lovely pools, two great restaurants (although dinner could be slow). They can arrange reef trips, private charter to Whitehaven, para-sailing, snorkelling, kayaking - lots of fun things to do & places to explore. We were just there for 3 days of R&R.

An example of the thoughtful touches commence as soon as you come off the plane. You are met by Qualia staff, who take your baggage ticket and then usher you to an air con vehicle with water. They hang around & pick up your baggage whilst you take the 5 minute drive up to Qualia. By the time you get there & have been briefly shown around & get to your room, your bags arrive.

Great spa, although I would definitely book your appointments before you get there, as they're v. busy, but worth going. I had a fabulous massage.

Absolute favourite was getting a 'beach drop-off'. They arrange a picnic & transfer you by boat to a private beach. When you get there it's all set up with big beach umbrellas, cushions & towels, and they can bring you champagne, boules, mask & snorkel - anything to make it more fun. We LOVED this. It's similar to what you can do at Lizard Island, although at Lizard you can take out your own little tinny (boat with v. small engine for you to drive yourself), when you can go off to a private beach with a picnic.

Hamilton Island itself is no great shakes, although the Oatley family are doing a lot to improve it. A new marina should be finished now, and they are upgrading some of the other accommodation, but let me assure you, Qualia stands head & shoulders above everything else.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gvwells2030
Cascais, Portugal
Reviewed September 11, 2009

The previous reviews have already sung the praises of Qualia and I can only further endorse what they have said. I stayed there for four days with my wife and even though it was expensive, it was well worth it and an experience that we will never forget.

The service was exceptional, smooth and unintrusive. The food is high quality and every night we had something different without any drop in standards. We stayed in a Leeward pavillion and again the size of the room, the beautiful furnishings and the view out over the water were fantastic. You also feel close to nature with the noise of the sea and of the animals.

As for activities, we spent a day at a nearby beach and were dropped off by speedboat with a picnic provided by the resort. We arrived to find that a parasol and towels had already been set-up for us. This was a fantastic and an unexpected bonus. Also the beach drop-off gave me the chance to snorkel for the first time around a small local reef before going out to the Great Barrier Reef. We really felt that we had out own private island - if only for a couple of hours. We also went to Whitehaven Beach and to FantaSea on the GBR. The GBR was amazing and by arranging a special package through the hotel we were at the reef after the crowds had left. Snorkelling along the edge of the reef amongst the fish was probably the most amazing experience I have had and I am glad we paid extra to go out without the crowds. We only had a small amount of time on Whitehaven beach and I think that it would be worth trying to stay at least a half-day there. It lives up to the hype and is big enough that you don't feel crowded.

We left without any complaints about our time at Qualia. Even as we were waiting to checkout at the reception we saw a whale basking in the water...Qualia has it all and other guests we spoke with - who had stayed at other resorts near the Whitsundays - said that they did not compare to Qualia. Landing in Hamilton Island, the view of the older buildings did cause some anxiety as they are not pretty from the air. However, Qualia is in its own little world.

If I was to offer any tips for future guests, it would be to check the weather just before you leave and try to book activities in advance. We ended up going to the reef & Whitehaven on the best day of our trip weather-wise but we could have been less fortunate. Once you are there - and if like us you are only going for a short-period - you may not have the same options. So it is probably better to try and get these planned to make the most of your stay.

Qualia will be a hard match to follow in the future when it comes to resorts and it was truly an exceptional experience!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#6 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Qualia Resort? Share your experiences!