“Whitsunday Perfection”
Review of Qualia Resort

Qualia Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed in a Windward Pavilion for 3 nights and I can easily say it was the best hotel I have ever stayed in by a long way. The rooms are perfectly appointed and great care has been taken to taken to think of every last detail.

I would strongly recommend a half day on the reef aboard the Atomic, its a bit expensive but is an amazing experience drinking champagne on Whitehaven beach on a blue sky day! The cocktails at the long pavilion are not to be missed with the long pavilion ice tea a stand out!

Room Tip: Windward Pavilion well worth the extra money - private plunge pool!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Dear DBdownunder,

It was a pleasure to read your terrific review and thank you for sharing your comments!

A Windward pavilion is indeed a fabulous space in which to spend a few days and we certainly like to think that all details were carefully considered and provided.

A Whitehaven Wonder or Snorkeling Safari excursion on the Atomic is, as you say, a wonderful way to experience the impossibly white sands of Whitehaven Beach or first rate reef snorkeling!

Until next time we are able to welcome you back to qualia...

With thanks,

General Manager – qualia

Write a ReviewReviews (1,363)

Reviewed April 23, 2014

This resort is very beautiful, with lushious extensive tripical grounds kept to perfection! Accommodation we experienced was an all in one detached building with balcony and views of the sea with outside beds to lounge on and all modern facilities. Each couple receives an electric golf cart to use for the duration, and we explored up and down hill, into town and the Marina, looking at wildlife as we drove. Pebbles Restaurant is situation right on the beach on the verandah and the infinity pool looks over the Whitsundays. There are a miriad of walking tracks and all sorts of water activities to be enjoyed. Tip: before booking, look for ideal weather for the reef excursion and Whitehave Beach as we experienced tropical downpours and so could not go, but still were able to explore nearby. ps Staff are all wonderful and anticipate your needs!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank haveacuppa

Dear Havacuppa,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your review of your recent experience here at qualia. Across Hamilton Island, the resort presentation team do take enormous pride in how well our landscaping and grounds are maintained and none more so than within qualia; where our individual pavilions each nestle so perfectly into the landscape.

The network of walking trails do provide an abundance of opportunities to be as one with nature if you prefer a day off the water. I do empathise that poor weather impacted your ability to get to the reef and Whitehaven Beach. But I would hope these are reasons enough to visit qualia once more in future. If I may assist in this respect – please do contact me on gm@qualia.com.au

Reviewed April 20, 2014

My Husband & I stayed at Qualia for our honeymoon & we loved it.
Once you arrive at hamilton island airport you are greeted by Qualia staff which take you to Qualia. At check in the staff offer you champagne and help to organise any activities you'd like to do while there.

You get your own golf buggy to drive around which is very fun.
The pavilions are amazing! Although we loved our room (#25) Id ask for a room which has un-iterupted views because our room even though you can see water it had a lot of tree's in front of it blocking the view abit.

The breakfast was amazing!! and the staff are very helpful.

We also loved that you can book a private beach picnic & organise food through Qualia. They get all the food you choose & take you out and drop you off on your own private beach. they leave you for a few hours or until you want to come back (they give you a walkie talkie to contact them)
they also provide you with towels, a beach umbrella, bug spray incase of mozzies, water and the food you order.

We really loved our stay at Qualia and cannot wait to go back one day.

Room Tip: a room with uninterrupted views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Hello Jess D,

Congratulations once more on your recent marriage. I am absolutely delighted you chose qualia for your honeymoon and were able to make the most of your time spent with us exploring all that qualia and this special part of Australia has to offer.

I take heed of your comments in regards to uninterrupted views from your pavilion. One aspect of qualia of which we are very proud is how sensitively and sympathetically qualia rests within its natural landscape. Maintaining as much of the natural vegetation is very much part of this so I do regret that the views were impeded in such a way.

Hopefully on your next visit to qualia, you can be able to enjoy more uninterrupted aspects.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Qualia staff and accommodation were outstanding. Food, wine and amenities surpassed all expectation. First class without exception. The entire experience of being at qualia is one that I cannot wait to repeat.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SMLAUS
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear SMLaus,

I am delighted to learn your ‘weekend celebration’ was such an outstanding success. Thank you so much for your succinct but flattering review. It’s reassuring to learn we continue to create a collection of experiences our guests wish to repeat!

Do let me know if I might assist in any way to facilitate a return visit by contacting me on gm@qualia.com.au

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Words really can't describe Qualia... It really is something you need to experience for yourself... Amazing in every way possible... Well set out & luxury from start to finish... We had a 3 night getaway & loved every minute... Easy to see why it is one of the best in the world... The pavilions are just awesome & the Aesop toiletries are great... The helicopter ride to Whitehaven Beach for a private picnic is a must do... Also don't leave without enjoying the Tasting Menu with matching wines at the Long Pavilion... Just writing this review makes me want to go back...!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank benismindless
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear benismindless,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your review of qualia. I always mindful of the comment that “to see is to know” and while one can experience much of qualia online – there really is no substitute for reclining in the Long Pavilion at one with the splendour presented in front of you.

Given the myriad activities one can engage in (or not engage in as the case may be!) - I would venture that a 3 night break at qualia or longer is a great way to restore and reinvigorate oneself on a little minibreak. I hope we might have the pleasure of your company for future getaways!

Do let me know if I can assist in this respect on gm@qualia.com.au.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We had a very average experience staying at Qualia for our Honeymoon, and it certainly did not live up to the expectations generated by other trip advisor reviews. I don't usually bother to write reviews, however as this experience was quite disappointing I feel it is warranted to do so. I will preface by saying that I have traveled extensively and choose to stay in a broad variety of accommodation from comfortable to 5 star depending on the purpose, location and duration of the trip. Whilst there are many guests that have clearly enjoyed their stay at Qualia I personally place great value on excellent service and quality that match the money you pay for them, particularly in a boutique resort. In my opinion Qualia failed to deliver this and I cant recommend this property if you share similar preferences. I would return to Asia, the Americas or the South Pacific for far superior service and better value. As a indication for what others may want to budget if they are considering a trip here- To experience the very best of Qualia and Hamilton Island/Whitsundays for say a 4 day stay i would expect to spend $500min-$1000++ per day extra on top of your room. Any less than this and I don't think you will have the "Qualia experience" or the service for that matter!

First the positives
- Airport pickup was smooth and professional.
- Room amenities were excellent (once small maintenance issues were brought to staff attention and attended to)
- Lovely honeymoon welcome surprise gift (I wont spoil it for others by sharing what it was- although staff already told us it would be there when we booked so it was not such a surprise)
- Views are lovely
- Breakfasts were excellent and probably the favorite part of our stay.
- Degustation dinner was lovely in my opinion however my husband (an athlete with a healthy appetite) was not satiated even with the addition of a few bread refills.
- Sailing lesson on the hobbie cats were fun and once we had the skills my husband sailed us across to a near by island- fun and romantic.

And the Negatives

- Service was very impersonal and inconsistent. Some was good but for the most part it was average, at times poor, and on several occasions rude or abrupt. There were numerous instances of being us being personally ignored or forgotten in the long pavilion, around the pool, even at reception whilst standing in front of staff coming and going! The one exception to this was the watersports team who were helpful, friendly and accommodating, the only team of staff that consistently delivered the service you expect in a 5 star property.

-The beach drop offs (as with almost all activities on the island such as helicopter rides, cruises, yachts etc.) are booked out in advance so if you would like to do this you will need to plan it and even consider booking it prior to your arrival. We managed to book on arrival for the last full day of our stay, however when I went to drop our form in for a picnic lunch that morning I was told that we hadn’t been booked in and that the form should have been dropped in the night prior (it clearly stated on the form it could be dropped off in the morning). Reception told me that that would not be able to fit us in. Sure mistakes happen, we all make them, but there is no need to make your guest the one in the wrong! I politely told the woman that someone had made a mistake and I would appreciate them finding a solution, which they did end up doing, but it just turned the experience into a hassle and we didn't end up with a picnic either!

- A staff member enquired how we had slept and my husband said not so well. Our room was located quite close to the sufficiently brightly lit “main road” for the golf buggies so we had light shining into our room all night (no curtains on the high windows) and the odd buggy going past. Staff said that when light had bothered guests in that past they had put up blackouts and they would arrange that for us. We were grateful but why not just offer us a room change, as I recall a staff member telling me they were at about 40% capacity. We were in stitches laughing when we returned to our room to find the windows taped up with black plastic (like a giant bin liner!), and they could no longer be opened to facilitate natural ventilation on that side of the room. Sure it fixed the light issue...but really Qualia?

-Our Room was never cleaned until very late in the day, and a full rubbish bag was deposited outside our front door by housekeeping for two days.

- Resort facilities were a little limited for active types- the addition of a tennis court, bocce, or any non-water based activity really would have been great for when the wind is up and the ocean is too cold. Other than the pool and gym there isn’t much to do within Qualia, although plenty if you feel like venturing out.

- We are keen walkers and when we enquired about hiking trails we were given vague directions. We ended up dropping into another hotel and asking their reception, were given a mud map, directions, and some good tips. There is lovely bushwalking on Hamilton Island and we went out most days. Disappointing service from Qualia as we had mentioned that we would like do plenty of bushwalking on arrival.

- Casual lunch menu around the pool was ridiculous- Over $40 for a pork sandwich! The same applied to day spa prices. Close to double that of top day spas.

- Hamilton Island during school holidays is just hectic! Activities and restaurants are all booked out in advance. Plan to book prior to arrival or miss out. We were not adequately informed on this by staff prior to arrival.

- Toward the end of our 4 day stay we just started to find the whole experience quite funny and made it a point to just have a private laugh rather than complain or get annoyed and create a more negative experience for ourselves. We left finding it quite hilarious that Qualia was ranked as one of the best hotels in the world (until we remembered how much we had paid for the privilege of staying there!). We were ready to go home.

Room Tip: request a private room away from the road
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Lisa S
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear LisaS,

It was with enormous disappointment that I today read your review outlining your less than favourable Honeymoon experience with us nine months ago here at qualia.

A honeymoon is indeed such a time of celebration; when one can quite rightly expect the very finest of service, care and attention. While I was not actually the GM at the time of your visit – I nevertheless share a sense of responsibility for the unhappiness and disgruntlement you and your husband clearly experienced.

If I might, I would however express my opinion- albeit subjective - that the qualia experience has manifestly improved over the past nine months. More recent reviews post here on Tripadvisor might also lend credence to this rather broad statement.

I do acknowledge however that this is of little comfort to yourself and to this end, I extend my sincere apologies.

Please do feel free to make contact with me on gm@qualia.com.au should you wish to make a return visit to qualia – wherein I might assure you of our best service and attention.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Many, many thanks to Matthew and his team for creating a unique experience.
Superlatives are thrown around quite often but Qualia is the real thing total, absolute but unpretentious luxury. From the pick up to the goodbyes, all done with elegance and a genuine care.
Food is exquisite ( including the Parmesan foam! ) and whilst it can look expensive, for the quality you are getting it is great value.
Everybody should go to Qualia, it is a game changer.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Matt W
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Dear Matt W,

I do appreciate your kind and favourable review following your recent stay with us at qualia. It was a pleasure meeting you and learning that what we – the qualia team aspire to provide is resonating so emphatically with our guests!

I will take pleasure in passing on your positive feedback to the kitchen brigade - they are very passionate about what they do.

I do hope you will make a return visit. Should I be able to assist in this regard - please do contact me directly on gm@qualia.com.au.

Warm regards,

Coral Point Lodge
Coral Point Lodge
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
Heart Hotel and Gallery Whitsundays

Been to Qualia Resort? Share your experiences!