“A true paradise”
Review of Qualia Resort

Qualia Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife & I have stayed in a number of very nice places some also catering for over 16's only but have never seen anything like Qualia.
The level of service from the staff and quality of the resort we believe is unparallelled.
I can't imagine myself traveling overseas to look for anything above the standard of this resort.
We will of course be returning.

Room Tip: I doubt you will find a bad room at this resort they are separate pavilions and all have amazing vie...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,378)

Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

I don't think I have ever received service like it. Almost collected from the plane, told that my luggage would be collected for me, whisked off to the resort and a glass of real champaign in my hand and a moment to relax and take in the view before my checkin process began.

The resort itself is breathtaking. I had convinced myself we were in a windward pavilion which included a plunge pool but it transpires we were in the slightly cheaper Leeward which was still stunning. V large sitting area, free soft drinks and juices in the room and all the amenities you could ask for. And again a bottle of real champaign to welcome us.

You don't get soap in qualia, oh no, you get a cleansing slab!

The view was stunning with our large balcony which was great to watch shooting stars from at night. The balcony was covered and we both commented that it would be great if you could open it up more to get a better view of the stunning nights sky.

Breakfast is great as well, particularly the pancakes which I will miss.

This wouldn't be a useful review if I didn't give the full warts and all account, particularly given the cost of the hotel, so hear goes.

Firstly the food, I loved dinner in both restaurants however even the brassiere food was overly fussy. I enjoy experimenting and appreciated the full vegetarian menu however my partner is the opposite and, although the staff were helpful, gets stressed up ask for alternative options. The menus could be strengthened with a few slightly more basic meals (particularity the brasserie at pebble beach where you would naturally assume a simpler menu). I also have never not finished a dessert in my life but one we got was truly awful. Even our waitress commented it was one of their most 'interesting' choices but she did not offer to replace and we were charged the full amount for it.

The main pavilion has a beautiful pool and sun deck but it's not actually used (or at least wasnt though our stay).

The gym is small and only has free weights for the fitness fanatics amongst you. The main pool is amazing, full length with spectacular views, the drawback is that it's annoyingly close to pebble beach brasserie and lots of people like to eat early so it felt a little uncomfortable swimming past 6pm.

Finally, and my biggest bugbear, the island itself. Unless you are very well organised you can end up having no dinner! The marina reminded me of downtown mainstreet Disney and this was confirmed by the pizza cafe when our Qualia breakfast waitress came bounding over to tell us that she served us a latte and flat white that morning and what would we like for dinner. She confirmed that all the properties are owned by one person. We met fellow qualia guests that night who could not get anywhere for dinner and ended up with chips for tea. On the night we decided to eat out 2 of the main restaurants were closed. V odd considering the hotels are all linked so they must understand demand. Having said that the full restaurants never look that busy. I got the feeling that, and call me paranoid, the island is attempting to make itself look busier and therefore more exclusive than it is in reality. The problem is that if you are told on arrival that there is nowhere for dinner that evening, even in your own hotel, oh and by the way you are on an island so ya boo sucks - doesn't feel particularly welcoming or well organised.

Tours are just as bad and need booked well in advance.

There is also no beach to speak of which surprised me greatly. Access to water sports the key reason I chose the island. The little bits of beach available warned that stingers were prevalent!

In short, if you are the type of person who is happy to arrive in a hotel, enjoy the pool and the facilities for a few days then perfect, for the more adventurous, limit your trip to a few days max and plan your time well in advance!

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank gster1977
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband travelled from Mexico for our Honeymoon to Australia, and we choose Qualia because of its many awards and recognition since it is a Relais and Chateaux hotel.

The staff was amazing and really kind
But when we got to our Windward Pavillion everything changed, the views were amazing, we stayed at number 15 but the bushes amd trees were not trimmed enough so the view was partially blocked and since we saw all the pictures in this website and the hotel website our room
Wasnt supoosed to be like that. We surely payed a lot for it. The next fay we realized our pool area on the outside of the pavillion never got cleaned the floor was full of footsteps and dust.

Thw matress was not comfortable at all. But anyway our stay was really great its just that we expected more from this place since just last year it was awarded by Conde Nast as the Best Resort in the World.

The food was amazing and the staff too. We complaint about the views and since we stayed for four days they told us on the second day they were going to change us but they never got back to us for this matter.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed at Qualia to start off our honeymoon and despite the 24+ hour trip from New York we knew it was all worth it the second we stepped into the main building and saw the perfect view of the Whitsundays and were given our first glass of champagne. Everything about Qualia was amazing - the service, room, pool, food, buggies - you name it, we loved it. We especially loved having our own buggy to not only get us around the hotel, but to explore Hamilton Island which was a really nice little town amidst the pure, pristine surroundings of the ocean, mountains and reef. Its been 2 years since our stay at Qualia, and we still talk about it frequently, comparing every hotel to the impeccable few days we got to spend as guests at Qualia.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

A unique, very well managed property. Amazing design elements of the main lobby (Long Pavilion), rooms, pool, and overall grounds. A once in a life time spot. If you have a chance to go, do! You'll have a wonderful memory. It's magical place with a warm and wonderful staff.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

For my husbands 50th,l surprised him with four nights at qualia,
It was more than five stars,and the staff helped organise some great surprises,
Seafood platters delivered to your room,helicopter ride and beach drop off with picnic.
You can do a lot or just relax,staff are amazing and the rooms and resort are beautiful,
worth the cost especially for a special occasion.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank traveltrish
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear TravelTrish,

What a pleasure it was having you stay with us recently and I do thank you, not only for your review but for allowing us to assist in celebrating your husband’s 50th Birthday - such an important occasion. Might I also congratulate you on pulling off such a surprise!

It is always touching to read that our guests have enjoyed every aspect of their stay with us. It will be with pride that I pass on your comments to the team.

We certainly hope you can visit us again soon.

Kind regards,

Matthew Taverner
General Manager - qualia

Hamilton Island

Reviewed October 23, 2013

qualia is stunning, you are gently enticed into its relaxing luxurious environment as soon as you step into the Long Pavilion with a glass of champers in your hand and you see the breathtaking view.....by the time you get to your own Pavilion you have fallen in love with the place...

Food is wonderful at both restaurants, I highly recommend trying the tasting menu at the Long Pavilion along with the matching wines (amazing creativity!) and the hot seafood platter at Pebble Beach is also divine! The staff are fantastic, just the right balance of excellent service along with being warm and friendly. Matthew leads the team here and makes a fantastic Ambassador for the place – everyone made us feel so very welcome. Our Pavilion was beautiful, clean and comfortable with amazing views. The main pool is gorgeous, we spent a lot of time bobbing up and down in it with a cocktail in one hand :)

This really is an amazing place to stay, this was our first time at qualia but I know it won't be our last - it's feels like we have stumbled upon a wonderful serene secret resort where you can relax and kiss goodbye your everyday stresses when you arrive at the gates!! Absolute luxurious paradise…..

Room Tip: We stayed in a Leeward Pavilion #59 - it had a wonderful view and felt so private like we were the o...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton Island
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#6 of 10 in Airlie Beach
Heart Hotel and Gallery Whitsundays

Been to Qualia Resort? Share your experiences!