“Perfection... almost”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Sydney, Australia
“Perfection... almost”
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We've just returned from four nights at beautiful Qualia and aside from the awful weather, our experience was almost perfect. From the moment you arrive at the airport to the moment you are dropped off, you feel very taken care of - the friendliness and efficiency of the staff is top notch. We stayed in a windward pavilion which was GORGEOUS - the most luxurious accommodation I've found so far in Australia. The design, decor and facilities throughout the resort are faultless - every need is anticipated.

The resort is laid out in such a way that it seems incredibly quiet, almost deserted (despite it being at almost 100% occupancy while we were there). Even the main resort areas - particularly the Long Pavilion - seemed quite empty most of the time. The downside of this is that there is no beating heart to the place - if you are looking for a bustling restaurant or a bar with more than one or two people in it talking above a hushed murmur, this is not the place for you!

The food was very nice but expensive ($38 for a club sandwich for example) - no surprises here, if you stay in a high-end resort it's what you expect.

A couple of minor areas for improvement:

- the room service menu is quite limited and is not 24 hour
- limited dining options: pebble beach restaurant is only open in the evening on selected nights (1 night of of the 4 we were there) and essentially the same menu is offered everywhere - pool, pebble beach, room service - and the same grill menu in pebble beach and long pavilion restaurants
- no free nibbles at the bar: paying over $20 per cocktail, you would expect some complimentary bar snacks (we asked for some nuts and were given some lovely warm macadamia nuts but we were charged $8)

Having said that, these are minor quibbles and barely detract from the overall experience, which was divine.

Stayed April 2013
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear bindytravels,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review after you stayed with us.
It’s a shame about the weather during your stay but it’s good to hear that it didn’t affect your stay too much.
I really appreciate your comments about the friendliness and efficiency of our staff and I’m glad that you were satisfied with your Windward Pavilion.

I appreciate the suggestions for improvements that we could make. The In room menu is small but if you request something off the menu, our kitchen will do their best. We have thought about 24 hour room service but we don’t think enough guests would make use of it for it to be worthwhile. We listen to feedback from our guests and prioritise improvements based on what will produce the biggest return in customer satisfaction for our investment. An example of this is that we are planning to upgrade the in-room TVs to larger models because of guest feedback. That being said, if we started getting a lot of feedback for 24 hour room service, we would take another look at it.

The great part about getting a complimentary golf buggy with your pavilion is that it’s easy to get out and explore the rest of Hamilton Island. If you decide that you want a change of cuisine, it’s only a 10 minute drive in your golf buggy to the marina where you can find Italian, Australian and Asian options. I’ve been hearing great things about the new Asian restaurant, Coca Chu for what it’s worth.

Thank you for choosing to holiday at qualia and I hope that we will see you again.

qualia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed April 10, 2013

we stayed in Qualia for four night and overall we had a brilliant time. The staff were all very friendly in particular the water sports staff down on the beach and the rooms were extremely comfortable and very spacious with great views. The views from all over the resort are stunning, the views from the main reception and restaurant are the best on the island at any time of day, a lovely place for breakfast. Airport pick up with wine and chilled water, golf buggy on arrival and some a good introduction showing us what was on offer, they do try and sell a few activities but they aren't pushy and the ones they recommend are great, the sunset cruise with champagne, cheeses and fruit is a great way to spend an hour or so. No Kids under 16 means the whole resort is very peaceful and the pool is calm, the little beac isnt nearly as spectacular as Whitehaven but you can organise a drop of on a secluded beach with a picnic witch is amazing. There are however one or two areas were Qualia misses the mark, firstly and most noticeably is the food, all the food is quite overpriced, but then again this can be expected considering the room prices. however most of the food we ate could not justify such a high price, small portions and while being perfectly nice nothing on the menu could be called truly memorable or special, breakfast is a little limited and not great whilst dinner has good variation but as said does not stand out. Great spa and a good amount of activities down at the water sport hut, however you should be aware that there is a strong current in the sea making swimming and sailing difficult at times and impossible at others, snorkelling is bad off the beach but you can get a few great tours organised at the front desk. all in all a great place to spend a few days but the food really does need work.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew H
Dear Matthew H,

Thank you for your review from all of us here at qualia.

I’m happy to hear such positive feedback about our staff and location. And you’re right, It is a bit hard to compete with a beach that was just ranked the third best beach in the world by Tripadvisor but as you mentioned, Whitehaven beach is only a short trip from qualia.

I’m sorry that you weren’t totally satisfied with the food at qualia. We are very proud of our award winning cuisine but I understand that food preferences are quite subjective and that we might not be able to please everyone all the time. That being said, our executive chef and his team are constantly working on changes and improvements to the menu and dining experience for qualia guests so I think that if you were to come back another again, your opinion may be different.

I invite you to come back again soon. We are always refining our offering to our guests and I think you’ll be even more impressed the next time you visit.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We recently spent 3nights in a Leeward Pavilion at Qualia & added the indulgence package into our stay. WOW arriving at Qualia is like a movie scene.....it is a beautiful & magical place. We would have loved to upgrade our room but the Leeward Pavilion was really lovely.

As I keep saying to my friends "I now understand why Qualia is the best resort in the World!" Even if you only go for one night, it will be worth it!

From the spa (best massages we have EVER had), to the pools, the sunset cruise, beach picnic, cruising around the island in golf buggies, dinner in the long pavilion .........we always had a smile & a twinkle in our eyes.....truly relaxing

The staff are so friendly & nothing is too much trouble, they were absolutely fantastic. Food was also amazing, nothing could be faulted....a true culinary delight!

Thank you Qualia for making our honeymoon so special & memorable, we will be back for a anniversary or two...

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LisaLou1970
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear LisaLou1970,

Congratulations again on your recent wedding and thank you for choosing qualia as the location for your honeymoon.
I’m very happy to see how pleased you were with your stay with us, especially considering that you will remember your honeymoon for the rest of your life.
Our Executive Chef Alastair will be pleased to read about how much you enjoyed the food at qualia.
I’m especially glad that you experienced such great service from my team here.
When you’re ready to organise your next visit, email me at mshah@qualia.com.au and I’ll do my best to assist you. Thank you again for visiting us and we’re looking forward to seeing you again for your anniversary.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Beautiful secluded luxury accommodation, breath-taking scenic views, attentive staff, wonderful wining and dining, great range of activities, excursions and water sports, magnificent spa. Qualia resort will appeal to those looking for a feeling of total relaxation with the choice to do as much or as little as satisfaction demands. Definitely a place to revisit at least once a year to remind us what a "world's best" resort-experience really feels like when its done properly.

Room Tip: All rooms are secluded and the resort, even when full, makes you feel that you are the only ones the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ed T,

What a wonderful review! I’m really glad that you loved staying with us so much and I want you to know that my staff and I appreciate the kind words.
We have many regular guests and I hope that you will become one of them. When you are ready to book another visit, feel free to contact me at mshah@qualia.com.au

Brisbane
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Easter in Queensland is pleasant at the best of times, but at Qualia, everything was to perfection.

On arrival staff were pleasant, and made us feel so welcome.

The accommodation is second to none, and the food no matter the meal was spectacular.

The spa is luxurious and my only regret is had only the one treatment! It was great doing this on the first day I was there however, as I relaxed completely.

Be sure to get around and explore Hamilton Island - the buggies are great fun! The snorkelling was good, however there was quite a lot of silt, so if marine life is your main attraction, I'd say this isn't the best place to stay.

They offer great sports activities from kayaking to sailing.

If you like luxury and either want to deeply relax or have some adventure, Qualia has everything.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Amanda,

It was great to have you with us over the Easter break and it’s nice to hear that you enjoyed yourself.

I definitely encourage all guests to do some exploring of Hamilton Island if they can tear themselves away from their pavilion. It's fun just to cruise around in a buggy taking in the ocean air and people/wildlife watching. All guests have their own complimentary golf buggy parked outside of their pavilion when they arrive, so there’s no need to rent one.

I hope that we can accommodate you again next year.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My partner and I have just returned from a 3 day stay at qualia over the Easter weekend. Overall, the experience at qualia was great. The service, facilities, surroundings and Windward pavilion were as expected at a resort of this calibre. All the staff were helpful, friendly and always willing to assist when needed. The views from our room were magnificent and we did not want to leave our pavilions as it was the best part of the qualia experience, especially with the full height windows opening out to the ocean, private plunge pool and large bathrooms. However, the room cleaning times were a little strange. For example, we left our pavilion at around 10am to play a round of golf and returned at approximately 2.45pm and our pavilion had not been cleaned. With most other things working like clockwork at qualia, we thought that they would have taken this in to consideration and cleaned our room during our scheduled 4 hour absence. Although we do note that we stayed during the busy Easter weekend so the occupancy rates at the resort would have been very high. Also, the food was sub-par in comparison to both the reviews from the resort with the highly acclaimed Executive Chef, people who have stayed there and eaten the food, and also the meal prices. We ate at the Long Pavilion for dinner on the first night which was average (although serving sizes were a little larger than I expected), and the inclusive breakfasts were also average at best. There were some food items that were obviously mass produced, which is acceptable if the prices reflected this, which they did not. The wait staff should also consider writing down peoples orders rather than trying to memorize them, as all three mornings when we dined at the Long Pavilion for breakfast, our extra mushrooms or whatnot did not arrive with our meals as requested. The airport service and champagne upon arrival is a nice way to get you into a relaxed holiday mode which is definitely achieved when staying at qualia.

Room Tip: Opt for a Windward Pavilion as the private plunge pool + the views makes the experience at qualia wo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Juztina
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Over rated island, too expensive compared to value, positives- spacious rooms, service was good overall except for very rigid attitude in the hotel restaurant - did not allow a tasting menu for one and a la carte menu for my husband, views are nice, nice breakfast, yoga class, negatives : too pricey for what you are getting, including spa treatments, average facilities, rocky beach, and the island in general is not that interesting and all island restaurants are over priced very hard to find one less than 100 a person, why go to Hamilton island when you can so much more for less in other places?

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Etipeti
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Etipeti,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion of qualia on Tripadvisor.

We aren’t a cheap destination but I really do believe that qualia represents great value for money and a growing number of guests are telling me just that. In fact, there have been many recent reviews that make a point of mentioning that qualia is well worth the price in their opinion. That being said, we are actively working on ways to provide even better value to our guests. A recent example of this is the development of our well being programme that includes complimentary aquarobics and access to a private trainer, alongside the yoga that you have already mentioned, all non-alcoholic beverages are included throughout your stay and many other touches that make our packages good value. Unlike many other Australian resorts, we also offer secure, high speed Wi-Fi to guests completely free of charge.

I’m sorry that you weren’t as impressed with Hamilton Island and qualia as most of our other guests but I do hope that you will come back again someday and give us another chance to surprise and delight you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton Island
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#5 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Qualia Resort? Share your experiences!