“Outstanding in every way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Qualia Resort

Qualia Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Brisbane, Australia
“Outstanding in every way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Staying at qualia is simply incredible, a truly amazing experience. I describe it as 3-4 times the price of a very good or high quality hotel/resort, but 100 times the value!

Service is exceptional from the moment you're collected at the airport until you're dropped off on departure. The grounds and views are just spectacular, the facilities all first rate and nothing is ever a problem for a team of enthusiastic and dedicated staff. We stayed in a Windward pavilion for three nights and then a Leeward for an additional two nights due to flight cancellations. Incidentally, qualia actually comp'ed us the two additional nights, which I understand is something they will at times do for guests if they have availability and your stuck on the island. I thought this was exceptional and it just reinforces the high quality of service they aim to deliver to their guests.

I really can’t speak highly enough of the pavilions, in particular the Windward’s. The incredible views, room size, quality of the fittings and furnishings are first rate, and the luxury and privacy that comes with having your own pool and sun deck in such a phenomenal location is really something special and unique. The Leeward rooms are excellent as well, but I would call the Windward’s first class and the Leeward’s business! I recommend spending the extra money on the Windward if you can.

The restaurant is first rate (as you would expect), we enjoyed every meal and the quality of room service. The main pool is really impressive and we booked the sunset cruise and beach drop off package, which I would highly recommend to anyone, especially if it’s your first time in the Whitsundays.

We will definitely be heading back when budget allows!

Room Tip: We had pavilion 9, so any along that stretch will be very private.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Adam V
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Adam V,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I’ve shared you review with some of my team and they really appreciated your mention of the excellent service that they provided.

I consider people that stay at qualia our guests even before they’ve checked in and after they’ve checked out. This is part of the reason that I take the time to respond to many of these reviews on Tripadvisor. I try hard to address concerns, find solutions and generally help our guests enjoy their stay during their time at qualia and I see responding to reviews as an extension of my regular on-island duties. Through my responses, readers can get a sense of the attentive and personal style of service that they will receive at qualia even before they arrive.

I also believe that it’s important to express gratitude to our previous guests that have taken the time to give us feedback that allows us to identify what we’re doing right and areas where we can improve. The opinion of guests that stay at qualia is much more important to us than awards and magazine articles. The moment that we start to believe our own hype and lose touch with our guests is the moment that we will stop improving the guest experience and as we’re committed to constant improvement, this is the last thing that we’d want.

Your review was a pleasure to read and I got a real sense of how much you loved your time with us.

When you’ve found room in your budget for another stay at qualia, please email me at mshah@qualia.com.au and I will assist you with recommendations and answers to any questions that you might have.

Michael Shah
qualia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having stayed in the worlds top resorts this one is the OUTSTANDING and tops them all. Service, food,faclities, staff, rooms leave nothing to be desired..as near to perfect as expected.Get what you pay for plus more. BARCLAY and ANGELA WADE.

Room Tip: Request windward side.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank barcs1944
Dear Barclay and Angela Wade,

Thank you very much for your generous comments. I’m very pleased to see that you have such a high opinion of us and that you were completely satisfied with your stay at qualia.
I would love to see you both relaxing at qualia again some time in the very near future, so don’t be strangers. My email address is mshah@qualia.com.au so feel free to send me an email when you are ready to come back and I will oversee your booking.

Michael Shah
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

It is not cheap, but Qualia is magical. We stayed for two nights in a pavilion with our own plunge pool. The pavilion itself was exquisite - tasteful, stylish, luxurious and spacious - and the view was spectacular. Apart from dining in the restaurant and visiting the spa, we did not want to leave our pavilion. The spa was magnificent - a truly sensual experience. Absolutely worth saving up for. Perfect for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: We stayed in Pavilion 6 - apparently it is the most requested room in the resort. I can understand...
3 Thank Possas
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Possas,

I’m happy to read that you loved your stay with us. Thank you for posting your review.
Spa qualia is incredibly popular with our guests and it’s not hard to see why. I’m glad that you enjoyed your treatments as well as all of the other aspects of qualia.
I hope that you are able to return for another romantic getaway in the near future.

Papua New Guinea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Nestled into the hillside, overlooking the Whitsunday islands, with a balcony large enough to hold recliners, tables and chairs, our bedroom villa was beautifully designed, maintained and serviced. This is the best we have experienced in Australia and is highly recommended for that special holiday or event. Service was exceptional. In particular Hannah, who assisted in making everything perfect before we arrived, and Michelle who managed our evening meal so well on a celebration day. The island is not all that large, but has a range is activities including water activities, a range of pools and restaurants, cruises and the various activities around the Whitsundays, walks etc. Getting around the island is by golf buggies, which is rather fun.
The resorts pool was excellent, the main restraint was superb, with an inventive menu based on unusual Australian ingredients- the degustation menu is highly recommended.
This is a special place.

Room Tip: All rooms look out to sea views. No children are allowed at this resort.
4 Thank sharri
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear sharri,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your stay at qualia with the Tripadvisor community.

There are indeed a lot of activities to get involved with on Hamilton Island (over 60 in fact) and qualia guests have access to all of them as well as exclusive the qualia activities and tours.

I’ll be sure to mention your review to Hannah and Michelle and thank them for a job well done when I see them next.

I’m glad to hear that you loved qualia and Hamilton island so much and I hope that we will be able to host you again soon.

california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We spent the last 5 days of a 21 day vacation to Australia. When I planned this trip I wanted to relax at a top notch resort to finish off 3 weeks of traveling. Qualia did not disappoint. We stayed on the windward side with our own plunge pool. The views are spectacular, opening your eyes in the morning to a view that could be a postcard photo is amazing. The cost of the room is expensive but you get your money's worth here. I can't think of one thing they didn't think of for their guests comfort, in room music throughout, docking with your iPhone/ iPad, spacious well appointed bathrooms, comfortable bed and isolation from other pavilions so you feel complete privacy. Your provided with a golf cart for transportation on the island.

The only reason I didn't give Qualia 5 stars was the service. The service was good, we had no bad encounters, I just didn't think it was on par with the quality of the resort. We were picked up at the airport, brought to the resort without touching our luggage, they retrieved it from the plane and it was in our room when we got there. At the resort we were greeted by management and staff then given a glass of champagne. We waited approximately 20-25 minutes to be checked in. The process is upon arrival is you are greeted, given a glass of champagne, and sit with staff to discuss your stay, what activities you would like to do etc.. Waiting 20-25 minutes with a glass of champagne and a beautiful view is not torture but after flying in and the temperature being what it was that day we wanted to get to our room. Upon check-in I felt there was a bit of pressure to book our activities, nothing extreme just not what I expected. When check-in was complete we were told our room wasn't ready, it was around 1:30 so we went to get some lunch at Pebble Beach, a resort restaurant. The food was good but I thought $42 for a pork sandwich was a bit over the top. The other issues were the first full day we had to call 3 times to get the room serviced, we asked for a 11am room service and were woken up on days 3 and 4 at 9AM asking if we're ready to have the room serviced. Everyone was very polite and helpful, I think Qualia like all well run organizations is constantly trying to improve and I'm sure they will get these small kinks worked out.

We chose to take a helicopter to the reef and back, having a helicopter pad at the resort made it very convenient.

We also enjoyed a couples massage at the spa, both the spa facilities and staff were first rate.

The positives far outweigh the negatives, I would hesitate to come back or recommend staying here.

2 Thank James R
Dear James R,

Thank you for your detailed review of your stay with us. It’s great to hear that you were blown away by the views from your pavilion and that your time at qualia was special for you.

I apologise if you felt pressured in any way to book activities during your check in – that is certainly not the purpose of this introduction. The activities and tours available are discussed at this time in order to make new guests aware of everything available to them during their stay at qualia. Tours and activities can fill up fast and experience has taught us that making reservations at the beginning of a stay avoids disappointments due to booked-out tours and activities.

Also, I completely understand that after a long flight guests may be eager to get into their pavilion straight away. However, please keep in mind that check in time at qualia is 2pm. We do not control what time guests arrive as flight schedules are set by the airlines. As checkout time is 11am and we have to take time to clean vacated rooms to our high standards, the pavilion may not be available if guests arrive before the 2pm check in time. If the pavilion isn’t ready, guests often take their golf cart for a test drive and explore the Island or have lunch at one of the restaurants. All of our facilities such as Spa qualia and our pools are also available to use while waiting for your pavilion.

I’m sorry for the issues with room service not following your instructions for an 11am service. We have recently been talking about what improvements we can make to some of our housekeeping processes and we’ll now be looking at better communication about requested servicing times as well.

I’m happy to read that you think that qualia is a “well run organization” and you’re absolutely right; we are always trying to improve on everything we do. We have a culture of constant improvement that runs throughout the resort and often it is the more junior staff that come up with the best ideas to make the experience that little bit better for our guests.

I assume that you meant to write “wouldn’t” rather than “would” in your last sentence. I certainly hope so because we always love seeing returning guests.

Singleton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

My Wife and I chose Qualia for our honeymoon. Everybody was so nice and helpful from Champagne on arrival to free use of a golf buggy and wonderful breakfast everyday the resort was a joy to stay at. We really enjoyed the free soft drinks and choice of latest movies. The view from our room was great as was from almost anywhere at Qualia whether from the pool or the pavilion.

The only downside is everywhere on the island from Qualia to the local shops on the island are 10-15% more expensive than on the main land

But even so the place was great and we would and have recommend Qualia to friends and family

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Clinta1
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed for anniversary June 2012 in Windward Pavillion. Rooms and view excellent. Service of a standard expected for a resort of this expense. Enjoyed our stay. Worth saving up for. Golf course views amazing.... bring a few balls! Hopefully will return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scottmelon
Dear scottmelon,

Thank you for giving us 5 stars in your review. I’m delighted to see that your anniversary went well and I appreciate you choosing to stay at qualia for this special occasion.
It’s good to hear that you enjoyed the golf course. If you visit Hamilton Island, you need to go there at least once – it’s such a unique course and one of the most visually stunning in the world. A recent guest who was a keen golfer described it to me as a "bucket-list course" and I think that's pretty accurate.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope we will see you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton Island
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#4 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Qualia Resort? Share your experiences!