“Location and price make it a good choice” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Palm Bungalows
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Sydney, Australia
“Location and price make it a good choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I visited Hamilton Island for 4 nights for a friends wedding. The island is clean, organised, well lit and I felt safe. While we usually holiday overseas, it was really nice to holiday in Australia and experience the laid-back Aussie attitude. From the moment we arrived at the airport, staff were quick to help direct guests as to where to collect luggage, handout luggage tags and find transfers to all the accommodation. They gave clear instructions about transfers and check in. When we got on the bus, we were greeted warmly with a "how was your flight " and it felt like a mate had come to collect us for our holiday.

We checked in at The Reef Hotel and there were several staff on hand to process arriving guests. We were taking via golf buggy about 200m to Palm Bungalows. We stayed in a standard palm bungalow with buffet breakfast included at either The Reef Hotel, Sails or wildlife park. The bungalows are freestanding which is great: limited noise from neighbours and no waiting for lifts. It looked exactly like the pictures on their website and was what I expected; a flashback to the 1980's! Everything was clean and in good working order. Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and bars of soap were provided. Bathroom and beach towels were provided in the room. The room was made up once daily. My only complaint was the air conditioning unit was a little noisy.

The standard palm bungalows location is great. They are so close to everything. The bungalows are on their own private semi circular driveway separated from Resort Drive by a sloped lawn.  Wild life park (on the opposite side of Resort Drive) is at one entrance to the driveway (100m) and the beauty salon (50m) is at the other end. There is a little souvenir shop across the driveway.The gym is about 150m and The Reef Hotel (Pool Terrace Restaurant and pool) 200m. The buggy hire company is across the lawn on Resort Drive (50m). The resort centre including shops, bowling alley, main pool, pool bar, Sails steak and seafood grill, Verandah bar, Coca Chu restaurant, public toilets and the child care centre are 150-200m walk. The resort centre is set on Catseye beach. Directly in front on the beach is the water sports centre. The marina in 5 minute walk up and down a small hill.

We did not feel the need to hire a golf buggy due to our location on the island and our willingness to walk. The buggies are electric powered and therefore not loud or smelly. There are 3 shuttle bus routes, 2 (purple and orange) going opposite directions around the island leaving around every 30 minutes and 1 (green) looping between the marina and along Resort drive. Timetables are in rooms and on bus stops. Passengers must be seated. We were unable to board a 11.20am bus as it was full. As we were on our way to the wedding at 12pm and the next bus was at 11.50am we were left in a sticky situation. Luckily the helpful staff at The Reef Hotel saw our predicament and drove us to the wedding. Not only that, the next day the staff member enquired as to how we enjoyed the wedding. This personal service and care was apparent throughout our entire stay at all the establishments on the island. We booked a 'taxi' or minivan to the airport from The Reef Hotel for $14/2pax. The fare must be paid in cash to the driver.

Catseye beach is affected by the tide, so be mindfully of that when you plan your day. At high tide guests can enjoy kayaking, windsurfing, swimming etc, but at low tide I didn't find the beach overly attractive. I used the low tide as an opportunity to walk out to the water and snorkel. I found this to be an average experience due to my previous experiences world wide. Other activities such as fishing trips or boat trips can be booked and taken from the marina area.

The weather was sunny and about 24°C during the day and cool at night, so take a jacket. Water temperature was a fresh 20°C.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Palm Bungalows, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Hello ClaireBare,

Thank you for posting such a detailed review on Tripadvisor for readers.

I’m glad that you had such a great time on Hamilton Island and that everything went well on the wedding day.
It’s great to hear about the service that my staff provided when you needed a lift to the wedding. I hear these stories from guests quite often and it makes me really proud of my staff.
I hope that you will visit Hamilton Island again soon.

Warmest Regards

Reef View Hotel & Palm Bungalows

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed in the refurbished Palm Bungalows and they were just as expected. For a couple they are perfect, spacious bedroom, bathroom with kitchen area with fridge, freezer etc. Storage space could be better but we were only there for 4 nights before moving on to another resort so it was okay for our needs. For us the bungalows were preferable to staying at the Reef Hotel as like to be on ground level and being able to sit on the verandah was really nice. This is a really nice alternative to the usual hotel setting. You can choose which restaurant to take breakfast in. We had two mornings with the koalas, and two in the poolside restaurant. Both were really good.

2 Thank MarmyCat
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Palm Bungalows, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hello ldhfto,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of Palm Bungalows on Hamilton Island.
The Palm Bungalows are a very unique accommodation type on Hamilton Island and are always very popular for guests looking to be "away from it all". Guests have told me that they feel like they are in their own little world when they're inside their bungalow and international guests especially love the fact that wallabies often hop past the bungalows during the day.

I'm delighted that you had such an amazing holiday on Hamilton Island and I hope that it won't be too long until you are staying in a Palm Bungalow again.

Warmest Regards,

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a 3 night stay at premium bungalow number 30 and we loved everything about our stay. The bungalow was very modern, clean, fresh and comfortable. The kitchenette was superb with everything we needed including hot plates, microwave, fridge, electric kettle, toaster, cutlery, dinnerware, glasses,etc. Bathroom was beautiful and I loved the complimentary toiletries. There was even 2 umbrellas in the wardrobe, along with an iron and hair dryer. Bed was comfortable and bungalow was serviced each day. Our entire stay at Hamilton island was superb. Transfers from the airport to the accommodation is streamlined and makes for a no fuss holiday. All the staff on the island are helpful and will bend over backwards to make you happy. We had buffet breakfast included in our stay which made for a great start to each day. Highly recommend Hamilton island as a top class holiday destination and staying in the palm bungalows will make your visit even better. Well done Hamilton Island!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Madjude
Hi Madjude,

I’m glad to hear how much you loved the premium palm bungalow that you stayed in during your trip. Thank you for posting this review and the photos as well.
Thank you also for your support of Hamilton Island & the Palm Bungalows. Our Palm Bungalows have become so popular that we have been at 100% capacity lately and positive reviews from previous guests such as yourself has been a part of this success.
The next time you are thinking of coming back to Hamilton Island for another memorable holiday, please contact me on mboileau@hamiltonisland.com.au and I will assist with your booking.

Warm Regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

As soon as we walked into our bungalow it was luxurious, peaceful and perfect for family's and bsthroom was very clean and gorgeous the shower was a perfect size for the kids to all get in. The hammock on the deck was a perfect touch with the views of the ocean and trees. Perfectly located next to the wildlife park, beach, pools and kids playground made it the perfect location you could ask for.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Palm Bungalows, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Hello Alisajlawry,

Thank you so much for the wonderful, 5 star review of Palm Bungalows. I'm glad that you and your kids loved your bungalow so much.

I hope that you are all able to come back and stay with us again.

Kind Regards,

melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Stayed in a refurbished bungalow for a week during Race Week. Great location, walk to everything (no need for a buggie), great kitchenette and nice bathroom. Great hammock to read in on front porch. Private and cool. Enjoyed our stay, would stay again (and take a microwave save bowl!)

Room Tip: ask for a bungalow at the end of the row if choosing a deluxe one (beach end) as the street sweeper...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Palm Bungalows, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Hi Weloveaus,

Thank you for sharing your experience staying in a Premium Palm Bungalow. I’ve heard nothing but positive feedback from our guests and we’re also very happy with them. I’m glad that you were able to join us for the excitement of Race Week and I hope that you’ll be back staying in a Premium Palm Bungalow for Race Week 2013!

Warm regards,

Mornington Peninsula, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in palm bungalow 4 at Hamilton Island from 3 - 8 september. The weather was mild during the day and cooler at night so a jacket was required when heading out. The bungalows were exactly what we expected, a little tired with the decor but the location and ambiance of he place was fantastic. This cluster of bungalows are a little rustic but if you know this before you book you won't be disappointed. The location is right in the middle of the resort and an easy walk to the resort centre area and the reef view hotel precinct. Just over the hill is the marina area where all the shops and restaurants are. The bed was comfortable and the sir con and heating worked well. The ceiling fan was great to keep the stuffiness out of the room. High vaulted pine lined ceilings gave a real cabin feel. The bathroom was very dated in its decor but the twin sinks, big horizontal mirror and large shower were all very serviceable. The only thing my wife would of liked was a full length mirror to check out her clothes before going out to dinner. Small LCD Tv and DVD player were supplied and worked well. It even had a channel from the airport to check inbound and departing flight times. It seemed like the Rooms were not compulsorily serviced daily but the girls who did this always asked us if we'd like fresh towels, bed made up etc as they did the rounds. Towels were nice and big and fluffy. The hammock on the little deck was very comfortable although a bit inconvenient for anyone trying to get in and out of the cabin as it stretched across the whole deck area. Fantastic garden views and the wallabies came out at night right on the grassed area in front of the bungalows. The kitchenette was a bit disappointing as I thought there would be cooking facilities. Only a sink and fridge. Fridge was not the coldest but still worked ok to keep things cool but not really frozen, ice creams etc. a kettle for tea and coffe was supplied but no toaster. Breakfast was included at three restaurants within the resort so this wasn't really an issue in the morning. I really liked these bungalows and at night they were very very quiet. Great location and not bad value for money. Don't expect the taj mahal and think of a cabin in the woods and you won't be disappointed. After looking at the other accommodation locations and style I think I would stay in exactly the same spot again. Hope this helps anyone wanting info on this style of accom. Thanks all, Smithy.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Smithy17
G'Day Smithy17,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay at Palm Bungalows.
As you mentioned, the Palm Bungalows are in a fantastic central location on the island, so most guests can easily walk to the Marina for Dinner or to the beach only a short stroll away. They are located across from the wildlife Park and they offer guests a relaxing accommodation option in a beautiful, natural setting.

The Premium Palm Bungalows have been extremely popular since we introduced them earlier in the year. The kitchenettes in the Premium Bungalows may have suited you better than the kitchenettes in the standard Bungalow that you stayed in. The Premium Bungalows kitchenettes include a microwave, a bar fridge and tea/coffee making facilities.

And yes, all Palm Bungalows are serviced daily.

Thanks again for your honest and fair review of Palm Bungalows. I hope you will stay with us again the next time you have the opportunity.

Kind Regards,

Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Palm Bungalows (in a non-renovated room) for 5 nights during Hamilton Island's Race Week, and our experience couldn't have been better. We visited during one of the busiest weeks out of the year, yet the hotel staff went above and beyond to make our stay an incredible one.

When we first arrived by boat, we weren't quite sure where to go, so we walked down the dock to see if we could find someone who would know how to get to the resort check-in. We found someone who worked on the island, who used their personal phone to call the concierge, who then picked us up within minutes in a golf cart. We were quite impressed by this customer service, because when we arrived at the hotel, it was bustling with people and very obvious that the concierge had many other things to do than a personal pickup at the dock.

Then reception allowed us to check into our bungalow 4 hours early, and the concierge drove us around the property to be sure we knew where all of the amenities were before dropping us off directly in front of our bungalow.

The bungalow had a surprisingly large main room, a very comfortable bed, double sinks, and a large shower. The A/C worked great when we needed it. The lawn in front of the bungalow was beautiful. The room was obviously an older unit, but it was very clean, and it had a "bungalow charm" that we actually enjoyed a lot. My husband and I both usually prefer modern decor, so I was worried that the older unit would feel dingy. But we both agreed that we loved the room and would definitely come back.

The bungalows also come with free buffet breakfast offered in two locations on the resort property, and both served a delicious spread of any breakfast item you could want. Both locations were within a short walk from the bungalows. Also within easy walking distance were: Catseye Beach, the resort pools, the marina, the gym, and really every other resort amenity. The island is perfectly laid out.

After we had been at Hamilton for a day or so, the concierge desk called us to see how our stay was going and to ask if we needed assistance with any dinner reservations or activity bookings. For such a busy week, this call surprised me and really showed the resort's dedication to customer service.

The day before our flight, the reception desk called us to inform us of our free shuttle time to the airport, to tell us what do do with our bags, and to help us time our check-out. The lady was so helpful, and I was impressed that she called us and did all of the thinking and planning for us. And we were thrilled that we didn't have to do anything with our bags - we just left them in our room and the concierge took them to the shuttle pickup area for us. I've never experienced this level of personal assistance from any hotel or resort!

Overall, our experience was an incredible one, and we would highly recommend a stay at the Palm Bungalows.

1 Thank TheBKSpecial
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Palm Bungalows, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Hello TheBKSpecial,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Palm Bungalows.

It was so nice to hear about the great customer service that you received during your stay. It's our aim to ensure that all of our guests have the same level of service that you received.

Please note that breakfast is actually available at 3 locations on Hamilton Island, not 2. Those locations are Sails, Reef View Hotel restaurant and the Wildlife Park.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope you will visit us again the next time you're on Hamilton Island.

warm regards,

Qualia Resort
Qualia Resort
#2 of 5 in Hamilton Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,288 reviews

Been to Palm Bungalows? Share your experiences!