“great hotel”
Review of Reef View Hotel

Reef View Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Reviewed December 9, 2009

i am a self confessed picky hotel patron. i chose this hotel carefully - i always review my accommodation choices on trip advisor. i was not disappointed.

i travelled with two young toddlers 20 months and just 3 years old and my partner. we had adjoining rooms so had two bathrooms and 3 queen sized beds and a portacot (no extra charge for cot). the room was modern and very clean. bathrooms were new and really clean. rooms were serviced daily. linen changed regularly and an extra time on request when my baby spilled water all over the bed. we asked for a microwave to heat baby formula - cheerfully delilvered to our room. no charge.

breakfast was included in our package- a spectacular buffet that was replenished throughout the breakfast period. - pancakes and bircher muesli delicious. kids eat free

the view from the room was spectacular right across the bay

i would highly recommend this hotel but maybe not for such small children. the balcony door had to be kept closed as i was very worried an adventurous baby would climb up to see the cockatoos that regularly visited to much amusement from the kids.kids ate free but were too young to know that this is the time to eat at the buffet and pretty much refused to eat then . as we were in a hotel we had no toaster or other options for them. if you have older kids say 4 years+ or are a couple you wont be disappointed. With toddlers maybe consider an apartment unless you have a younger baby who eats cereal which you can do in your room with ease

enjoy
i loved this hotel and plan to return without kids and just my hubby. hamilton island is really lovely

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,459)

Reviewed December 9, 2009

Great rooms,the best view, was a relaxing room to stay in loved it.
Cocktails are fantastic. Loved the pools and beach.
Breakfast is nice but overpriced. Bakery at marina has great coffee snd sandwiches for less than half the price.
Overall was a relaxing,tropical holiday. The staff i found had there days, some were nice, and some were so very rude and miserable, it was a little frustrating at times considering you are.
We will return :)

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2009

the reef view is a big busy hotel
the rooms were really spacious and the views are fantastic.
great value for money.
beautiful restaurant in the hotel and i would also go to the poolside restaurant across where the old dolphin pools are to eat, i think it is toucan's restaurant
Probably the best spot to stay on the island if you are after value and a nice 4 star
will definately return :)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a 2 week trip to Australia where the second week was spent in Hamilton Island. Let me just say, since Australia is a HUGE country, we were overwhelmed at where to spend this second week, but are so glad we chose Hamilton Island! What a beautiful place. I took all these videos, and kept saying, "What a beautiful place!" It is meticulously maintained, palm trees everywhere, beautiful pools, excellent food - you will love it. We stayed in room 801 at the Reef View Hotel, and I wish I could have LIVED there. I walked in, and the room was gigantic, and the bathroom was gigantic, and the view was sensational. Please remember to ensure upon your arrival that you have a renovated room. I believe that all rooms may be "renovated" now, but just check to be safe.

I have so much to say, but I will try to be brief:
- The view at the Reef View is FANTASTIC. There are many photos on here where the view looks lacking - but look at the photos I posted. The view is spectacular, even at low tide. MAKE SURE YOU GET A ROOM ABOVE THE 6TH FLOOR!! I think if you are lower than this, your view will be through the palm trees and you might not be able to see the bay/beach. We had a room on the 8th floor and it was spectacular.
-The main pool is amazing!! They are cool with you visiting whichever pool you like, so be sure to make the short walk over to the main pool and hang out there. They have 2 happy hours daily, one from 1:30-2:30 and one from 3:30-4:30. We were there during Schoolies week (a new thing for us, since we're Americans) so the happy hours were quite popular :)
-The Cockatoo's are beautiful!! They will come to your room balcony if you (Ahem) accidentally leave some food outside. We do not recommend feeding the birds because this leads to an imbalanced ecosystem - but truth be told, they are gorgeous, friendly and show up at the Reef View everyday roughly at 4:30 and are gone by 6pm.
- Food: We thought the food on Hamilton was a bit pricey, but then again, everything in Australia was very expensive compared to prices in the US. However, we would recommend eating at Sails at the main pool - it over looks the beach. We recommend the chicken sandwich (ask for it grilled), the fish and chips, and the caesar salad. Other food: The fish & chips from popeye's near the harbor is ok, nothing to write home about. We could recommend trying the pizza at Manta Ray Cafe. The best pizzas included the BBQ chicken and the Margarita. They do let you get half and half pizzas.
-We took the Fantasea trip out to the reef, which was ok. It was a bit expensive ($225 a person) and I was not that impressed with the reef, I have to be honest. We’ve done some amazing snorkeling in the Caribbean which I thought was better… I don’t want to put down the Great Barrier Reef, but I just have to be honest.
-Nightlife: The island is pretty dead Sunday through Wednesday night. Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Bohemes bar is open and that is fun. Friday and Saturday night, Bohemes bar and club is open, and we went on Saturday night and had a blast. The music is fantastic, and the blonde bartender girl is such a sweetie, I can't recall her name. Do check this place out!! Its fun.
-KOALA BREAKFAST: Make sure you do this!!!!! You will have to buy a photo, but they are only $20 and as far as I know, this is the only place in the universe where you can hold a koala and get a photo with it. They are DARLING!!!!! Please see the photo I posed of me holding the koala posted here in "traveler photos".

I think I covered everything! If you have any questions at all about Sydney or Hamilton Island/Reef View, please feel free to contact me!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Becky15349
Reviewed December 4, 2009

The outside of the hotel looks drab BUT the inside is beautiful (of course doesn't compare to the stunning whitsunday scenery!). I'm so glad my friend and I chose to stay here for our mini break! We stayed on the top floor and our room was immaculate. Spacious and clean, with an amazing view! We had 2 queen beds, mini bar and a massive bathroom. The hotel provided a tour desk, a japanese check in (which was very considerate for some of the overseas tourists!), tennis courts, water sports, buffet brekky, etc. the whole package. The hotel staff were extremely helpful and hospitable. The buffet breakfast was plentiful and delicious, and served in a welcoming setting by the pool. There is so much to do (although we mainly swam/sunbaked all day) from water sports to day tours to the reef, hiring a golf buggy to get around the island, walks/trails and of course the sunset at one tree hill. We took a day tour organised by the hotel to whitehaven beach and also did snorkelling. The local snorkelling was disappointing but nonetheless was a beautiful and fun day out. At the end of our stay we checked out at 10am and left our bags in the room while we went to the beach one last time! We then proceeded to the hotel lobby where our bags were ready to be loaded on the airport transfer and all we had to do was hop on the mini bus for the VERY short ride to the airport. the absolute ONLY low point was march flies (they bite and they're everywhere!) but thats not something the hotel can control obviously :P I'm totally impressed with the hotel and location and we had an awesome time! Definetly returning with our partners!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Stayed 4 nights in garden view room (2nd floor). The room was really great - very generously sized and the staff were good. Being on the second floor you were near the air conditioner vents and it was a little noisy when you were heading to your room but it wasn't really noticeable when you were in the room.

You could charge anything on the island back to your room so it was really convenient.

Pricing for food on the island was well a little pricy but not too bad - it was an island after all and you've got to expect island pricing.

The bush walks start from near the hotel and are a little challenging so remember to bring your hiking boots.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Hamilton Island is a controversial place and the Reef View by all accounts should not actually be there - a high rise hotel on a magnificent island that some say it despoils. But forget all that because when you are inside looking out the view of Catseye Beach is superb.
The Reef View had a makeover not long ago and the rooms are well decorated and equipped. Stay higher up and you get a better view of Whitsunday and the blue seas.
We found the staff courteous, helpful and efficient, arranging flowers for our wedding anniversary was not too much trouble.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
#5 of 10 in Airlie Beach
Beach Club
Beach Club
#2 of 5 in Hamilton Island

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!