“Fantastic value & service!”
Review of Reef View Hotel

Reef View Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Can i just start with how sad & miserable some people's lives must be to make such negative, nit-picking comments in a public forum about an otherwise fantastic hotel & well trained staff.

After a wonderful 7 night anniversary holiday (or parole as i called it) on Hamilton Island staying at the ReefView we have nothing but praise for the cleanliness & quality of this hotel. From the sumptuous buffet breakfast to the lazy dinner stay-ins & ordering room service. Sure, the hotel is a little older, but is still very well maintained & cared for given its vintage - almost like a good red, better with age.

Please ignore the negative reviews, again, the narrow-mindedness of some sad individuals who obviously suck lemons for a living when holidaying & making their comments here obviously reflects what a tiny & pretentious bubble-like existence they lead. They should holiday at home in their backyard & live in a tent for a week - i bet they would still whinge about that as well.

Few tips, try for a higher floor. Hire a buggy from the airport upon arrival. Get to breakfast by 7am at the latest. Book a massage at Wumurdaylin spa days in advance. Have Chris make you cocktails at the Reef Lounge of a morning, afternoon & evening. Book a chopper flight to Reefworld to snorkel plus visit Whitehaven.

Special thanks to Emily on reception, the lovely ladies in the lobby shop & of course Matt.

See you again very soon

3  Thank SpiderPig S
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear SpiderPig S

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here with us & happy anniversary once again.

Your kind words are incredibly appreciated & I have personally passed them on to Emily, Chris and the Lobby Shop staff.

Looking forward to welcoming you back for next year's "parole" visit.

If there is anything I can do for you please don’t hesitate to contact me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

HAMILTON ISLAND

Write a ReviewReviews (2,524)

Reviewed April 25, 2014

We had a good time at the reef hotel. The rooms were very nice but they a looking a bit tired and need to be revamped. The house aids do a good job. The pools are great and it's nice to have a choice of 3 pools. The bar and restaurant staff do a great job and are very helpful but and it's a big but the food and drinks are way over priced . Everything on the island is just so expensive. Also way too many people there it's like a large city.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Stayed at the Reef View Hotel for a week on the 11th floor. Typical hotel style room with 2 queen size beds. Very spacious with plenty of room for my husband, teenage daughter and myself. We really spent very little time in the room so it was more than adequate. Fabulous views out over the ocean but you need to be above the 5th floor for the view. Make sure you keep the balcony doors closed or the Cockatoos will ransack your room. Not that this happened to us, but I heard many stories of it while we were there. Only used the buffet breakfast in the hotel once as we preferred to eat at Sails - less busy. Breakfast is your typical buffet style breakfast and was just ok at both places. We had a breakfast deal, otherwise probably wouldn't have bothered.

Although we had a great stay on Hamilton Island, we did find it very expensive - from the food to the activities. Non-motorized water activities were free for resort guests. These included paddle boarding, kayaking, sailing and snorkeling. Paddle out to the back of the designated area and you can find turtles coming up for air.

Perhaps my biggest disappointment was the lack of service poolside. We were there during QLD school holidays and the pool area was packed every day. I would have expected, drinks waiters and poolside snack menus to be available,(as they have been at any other resort we have stayed at) but they do not exist. My 17 year old daughter couldn't even get a drink of water as the only places she could ask for one were the pool bar or the restaurant bar and they couldn't/wouldn't serve her because she was under 18 - even though she was only asking for water. If you are looking for some lunch the closest place is to go to Sails restaurant and get a full take away meal from a limited and expensive menu. No snack type food - such as a sandwich for lunch is available on the resort side of the Island, so you need to go over to the marina for light meals. Admittedly only a 5 minute walk, but.... Poolside service with drinks and snacks available - perhaps I'm spoilt but isn't that an Island Resort standard?

Overall, staff were friendly and helpful, rooms were nice and the weather fantastic. The Whitsundays are a beautiful part of the world.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 5th Floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear GoBrissy

Thank you for your detailed review.

A pleasure having you & your family stay with us and I’m glad to read that you were able to enjoy your holiday.

The non motorised water sports make for an incredibly fun day & I’m so happy to hear you were able to see our residents Sea Turtles.

Thank you for your comments on our Pool Service – And I apologise for any inconvenience caused. It’s feedback that I appreciate and shall discuss with my teams to see how we can improve this for the future.

Thank you again for staying with us & I hope we can welcome you again.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We recently enjoyed 5 days/nights @ this lovely hotel on Hamiliton Island.
Apart from Cyclone Ida on the Sunday the weather was beautiful.
Our conference was a great success.
Our room overlooking the sea was very spacious including a large balcony.
Every day we were greeted by many friendly Cockato's who came & sat on our balcony.
Service @ the hotel & all other venues on the Island we were involved in was excellent & a vast improvement on when we were previously here in November 2011.
Food was great & it is a pleasure to recommend the place highly for a short break to enjoy some lovely sunshine

Room Tip: Rooms that are higher up facing the sea have excellent views with no noise of any kind. Plus plenty...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Carringtonfs

Thank you for your review.

It’s great to read that your conference was a success & that you enjoyed your stay with us (Despite the weather towards the end)

Over the past few years our focus has been on improving the service experience and to see you felt a notable difference is a credit to the team.

We hope to see you return again soon.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I stayed here twice in the past month. The first time we were on the 12th floor and the second time we were on the 17th floor. The views over the Whitsundays are awesome. Apparently if you are below the 5th floor you wont get sea views, only roof top and pool.
The rooms are very clean albeit a little dated, large bathroom with two hand basins (for him and her I assume), and good beds. Pretty standard meals area however it at pools edge so it it very pleasant and relaxing. The staff and service are very good

Room Tip: Book a high room to get the best views
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve H

Dear Steve H

Pleasure having you back with us and thank you for your review.

We are certainly very proud of the view our guests are able to experience & I’m glad to see you enjoyed it during both your stays.

Hope to welcome you again soon & if there is anything I can do for you please don’t hesitate to contact me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Old style hotel that needs some work the staff and not very originised and leave the small details out , we ordered a king bed with months notice and was not told down stairs that we had two doubles and was later told sorry we had a tour group in ,also just left a chilled bottle of sparking wine out in the heat with out even a bucket of ice , yeah we payed good money for what , I would of got better service at a local best western,

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear Nathan
Thank you for taking the time to inform me of these less than acceptable experiences.

I’m of course disappointed to learn that you encountered anything like this & I do sincerely apologise.

Rest assure I shall personally investigate each issue further with my teams. Should there be anything further to add please don’t hesitate to email me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

I hope you were able to enjoy some aspects of your stay on Hamilton Island and if you ever have the opportunity to return please contact me directly.

Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Our first family holiday and we couldn't have asked for more. Nice room with a beautiful view in a great location on the island. The food was lovely and great coffee too. As for the staff, all were friendly and helpful. I would like to make a special mention of Matt on the concierge desk and Sebastion one of the porters who went above and beyond helping us today when my daughter realised she lost her handbag at one of the shops 20 minutes before we had to leave for the airport. It is little things like how you handled that situation today that will keep families coming back. We enjoyed the island very much however when the cyclone arrived it was the room that we also enjoyed, the beds are comfortable and the room is of a very decent size as is the bathroom. As I said we wished we could have stayed longer and we will definitely be back. The nicest surprise for us as with many families on a budget, our bill upon check out was less than what we thought it would be. The kids eat free package that we had as part of our stay had a massive impact on our expenses. Thank you for a wonderful holiday

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Naegirl

Thank you for taking the time to share your review & I must say what a pleasure it was having you stay with us.

Weather issues and all it is great to see that you & your family had such a wonderful holiday.

Accidents do happen & it was Matt and Sebastian’s pleasure to help out with your daughters’ handbag. I’m glad to hear my team was able to assist in your stay & I have proudly passed on your feedback to the team.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton Island
#6 of 10 in Airlie Beach
Beach Club
Beach Club
#2 of 5 in Hamilton Island

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!