“Terrific location on a stunning island but why such lousy service?”
Review of Reef View Hotel

Reef View Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Singapore, Singapore
“Terrific location on a stunning island but why such lousy service?”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed for 3 days and the view from our room (sea facing) totally swept us away! That was the single spectacular thing about this hotel. It makes you overlook some other flaws.
The service was pretty lousy for the price they charge, the lady at the tours desk seemed like she hated her job - very disinterested, did not even look at you while talking to you. The room service was not prompt.
It is probably the biggest hotel in the tiny hamilton island so most people visiting stay there, they have a dedicated shuttle bus service. We went on a weekend and because of too much rush, most people spent easily 20 mins waiting for a shuttle and sometimes they wouldn't be able to board it coz it would get full. We were usually just walking around and recommend people to do that, everything is pretty close (though you may need to walk uphill at places).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank smritimodi
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear smritimod

Thank you for not only your review but for also choosing to stay with us at The Reef View Hotel.

I’m of course disappointed to learn that you encountered such unsatisfactory experiences and I will personally investigate them further with my teams.

I do sincerely apologise & if you have anything further to add please don’t hesitate to email me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

HAMILTON ISLAND

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We had 10 nights at the Reef View Hotel where we booked the suite which is located on the top floor being the 19th floor. The room has two (2) levels, living area downstairs and bedroom with ensuite upstairs. The view on both levels we stunning looking directly over the resort, through to the bay and islands across the water. The room was very well presented along with the best housekeepers in the hotel. Our package included buffet breakfast at three different locations, downstairs in the dining room of the hotel, across the road in the Sails Restaurant which was our favourite and the animal habitat where you can have breakfast with the koalas. The hotel has a nice bar which also has food available.
Being on top of the building we did notice that some of the rooms coming down the lift were poorly maintained as well as some parts of the building needing some attention from mould.
Overall our experience at this hotel was excellent and would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sandy0970
Sao Paulo
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

I paid 4 nights $1700. Sunday march 9 my flight was cancelled by the only airline that lands on the island. The next day also. the third day the flight was fully booked. i ended up on hamilton island on wed. that means i paid 4 nights and stayed only 2. what's worse: they wont give a refund or compensation.
I can see from an earlier review the hotel charged the guests who couldn't leave the island. that's dishonest. they charge who couldn't go and those who couldn't come!  they profit from these flight cancellations.
on top of that i had to pay 3 extra stays in brisbane waiting for the opportunity to fly.
very expensive 2 nights on Reef View.
I had also booked tours with other companies: diving, snorkling, hill inlet, etc . NOBODY charged me for that because they honestly know IT is NOT MY fault I wasn't here.
the other guest who was unhappy with the hotel warned not to book lower floors.
I warn you: DON'T BOOK WITH THIS HOTEL!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marilena57
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear marilena57

Whilst I’m very disappointed to read your review I thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback.

My sincerest apologies that you experienced issues with the airlines due to poor weather. Their decision to fly is out of our control unfortunately & they make these decisions with safety as a priority.

We certainly don’t scheme to benefit from anyone who has experienced issues with travelling to & from Hamilton Island and our Hotel cancellation policy is the same as most hotels worldwide.

Believe it or not the weather effects us in many ways & most importantly effects our guests in house, departing or arriving – It isn't the Reefview Hotel experience we ever want our guests to go through & not want a holiday is meant to involve.

I do sincerely apologise for the unsatisfactory experience you encountered and I would be more than happy to make arrangements should you wish to stay with us again.

If you have anything further to add please don’t hesitate to email me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We asked our travel agent to find us something in Qld for us to visit with our newborn and 2yo son. THe purpose of the holiday was for me and the newborn to relax in something clean and for my husband and 2yo son to enjoy the beach and pool. My priority was to be in a room that was clean and modern. We also wanted somewhere that had a direct flight and not too busy like the Gold Coast. Our travel agent booked us the reef view as she believed it fit our brief. While the staff where friendly and obliging, the room was dirty and very tired. I found a toe nail clipping on the floor. The bathroom was old. When room service came past, I asked them how they cleaned the cups (they didnt seem clean). Housekeeping said that they quickly washed the glasses in soapy water in the trolley! They weren't even put through a dishwasher! I voiced my concern/disappointment to management, and they upgraded us to the 12th floor. WHile the view was better, the room was still the same standard. The coouches had hair on them, stains on the carpet etc. I voiced my concern agai, and they upgraded us again to the 17th floor. Once again, the view was great, but the room was still the same standard that you would expect from a Holiday Inn. Given the amount of money we paid for the holiday, the room was terrible.
Very disappointed!!

Room Tip: If you go to Hamilton Island, rent a private villa. For the same price, most villa's come with t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Regina G
Northampton
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed here for our daughter's 18th Birthday in January in a two bedroomed terraced suite, on the 17th floor. It was absolutely stunning. Wrap around balcony with Jacuzzi. We had sea, harbour beach and island views. The breakfast is average here, and there isn't adequate seating. I agree with other guests that this hotel really does need updating in the public areas, having said that our room was very modern and nicely decorated. The concierge are very helpful as are Reception, I only spoke to the girl on the 'trips' desk once and found her to be very unhelpful.
We visited Romano's which was very nice, as are most of the restaurants on this island. Hiring a golf buggy and zipping around the Island is a must, if only to go to One Tree Hill for its spectacular views. We had fantastic weather which always helps, I don't think there would be much to do on the Island if the weather was no good. We stayed for 5 nights here, which was ample. All in all he had a great time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Aiupsala
Dear Aiupsala

Thank you for your review.

It was such a pleasure having you stay & celebrate your daughters 18th birthday with us. A special occasion which we were honoured to be a part of.

Thrilled to read that our concierge team were able to assist you & I thank you for your feedback on our restaurant. I shall investigate the seating situation further with my team.

Very much looking forward to welcoming you again soon.
If there is anything I can do for you please don’t hesitate to contact me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

NSW
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Coral Sea View on level 16: We flew in with Virgin and arrived early. Initially I was a bit concerned as previous guests have a lot of negative feedback regarding the flexible check in time. Lucky enough, our room was ready for us when we check in. By the way, your room is pre-allocated prior to your arrival. You will get down to the baggage collection once you get off the flight, and they will hand you your baggage tag. The porters will take over your bags from there and you can get on the transfer bus. Nice and organised, ticked.

Our room has two queens, large separate bath and shower, separate toilet. Stunning views to the sea, and you won't be overlooking your neighbours at all. All the essential facilities are there, no complaints. View and privacy, ticked.

Hot buffet breakfast has a good range, and don't use the coffee machine included in the tea and coffee section. It's worthwhile to pay a bit extra and get a proper coffee over the bar. Lovely start of the day to have one's breakfast next to the pool.

Everyone seems to be so friendly and eager to help so far. I will give it 10 out of 10 if that's where my holiday ends.

We were told by Virgin (at the airport) that our flight back to Sydney was cancelled due to bad weather. We had no choice but to head back to the hotel with everyone else. I felt ok when we were told most of us can get our own room back (no one is flying in, and I just checked out 2 hrs ago, so who could be there right?) It went downhill from that point onwards.

The check-in lady told me the room I had had already been used; how I didn't know. But apparently they had to accommodate other guests from other properties on the Island, such as the Qualia VIPs. So as we couldn't afford one grant per night at the Qualia, here came the more affordable garden view room on level one at a discounted rate of 195 per night with breakfast. Suck it up princess!

My protest was in vain and I chose to accept it as gracefully as I could instead of making a scene. My mistake, big time!

When a natural disaster like this hits, I suppose I should be grateful we have shelters. I thought I should just go along with it. The stay hit rock bottom soon after we checked into our room. It was on top of the lounge bar and some band was singing the whole Sunday afternoon and from 4:30pm to 11pm weekday. I could not shut it out because the noise is coming both sides. I couldn't go out because it was pouring rain outside. There's also drilling and hammering from 8:30am till 4:00pm from Tue onwards. After a few complaints, the manager offered me to change to another room on the same floor at 10pm, which I politely declined. The reception rang again the next day (our last night) to offer the change room. At this stage, we could finally go out to break away from all the noise, I just couldn't be bother any more. I stayed there because I had to, not by choice. The hotel is not obliged to turn a bad situation around, I get that message loud and clear. So that's why you never will be the best on the Island, or anywhere else! And for whoever booking with them in the future, make sure you stay away from the lounge side lower levels. Book the higher floors whenever you can so your holiday won't get sour like mine.

To top it up, the porter tried to take our luggage on Tuesday despite the fact that I told the reception at least twice before I was leaving Wednesday. Yet another call from reception asking when I was checking out after my 3rd clarification! Trust me, I would love to go, 2 days ago!

So, 3 days stuck on this Island in Reef View, I can safely say that I have had enough. And they can have my 600 bux for the last 3 nights, because that's the last bit of dollar they will ever get from me.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
gladstone
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We were a little worried when booking at the reef hotel just because of the reviews the rooms had reviewed. This place felt like you were staying in the city not on an island. The place was very busy. Breakfast was nice. The room itself was ok but would have expected more for the money. We were one the 15th floor and the views were amazing if your in your room to enjoy them. We were never there really so next time we would probably choose the bungalows. They looked a bit more modern as well.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear lissiloo

Thank you for your review & of course for staying with us.

My apologies you had some apprehension in booking with us & that our rooms weren't what you had expected.

I am happy to hear however that you were able to enjoy the famous view & the incredible breakfast we have on offer.

Our Palm Bungalows have all been recently refurbished & if you are looking for something private, self contained and tropical then I cannot recommend them more.

Would be my pleasure to arrange something for you, Please don’t hesitate to contact me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton Island
Heart Hotel and Gallery Whitsundays
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#6 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!