“AMAZING VIEW! Friendly staff! and great hotel and awesome breakfast!”
Review of Reef View Hotel

Reef View Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The moment I got to the Island all I could say was WOW! Hotel Staff was very helpful, friendly and very polite. I loved the lifts as it had A/C installed on them very refreshing.

The rooms are very clean and tidy and smells good,very clean and large bathrooms too. Comfortable beds and great terrace view! breathtaking! morning or night! and you always have friend visitors in your terrace. The cockatoos will always stop by so always have those cameras ready and always have your doors closed unless you want them flying in. matter of fact we forgot the close ours in our last day and let's say it got pretty messy.

Fast WiFi access and nearly available everywhere in the Island! and if buggy power points are full in the hotel try across the road and park there or in front of the hotel. :)

The reef bar needs a renovation and the bar staff was very slow. Though the buffet breakfast was very good! loved the crispy bacon.

Room Tip: Can't say much about the rooms they all offer amazing view! can't complain. Unless you'r...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Hi Anthony S

Thank you for your review.

What a pleasure it was having you stay with us. I’m always happy to read your stay included the WOW factor you were looking for & that our staff was there to help you every step of the way.

Those external lifts have a stunning view – But being in the Tropical sun you can imagine how warm they would be inside. The A/C system in each one is the least we can do for you & I still love the feeling when stepping into one.

Glad to hear you enjoyed our rooms & yes those Cockatoos can be a delight – But always remember to close your doors when you are out enjoying the rest of our island.

I appreciate you bringing the Reef Bar issues to my attention & I will be sure to speak with my team.

We certainly hope you can visit again soon – If there is anything I can do for you please don’t hesitate to contact me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

There are newer reviews for Reef View Hotel

Reviewed November 19, 2013

This place is a reminder of how beautiful Australia is and I can't wait to come back.
Waking up to the view everyday was wonderful. I loved everything about Hamilton Island. The resort was great and the staff were very helpful. Zero drama's during our stay and we were very happy with our room. It was nice to be able to use all the pools on the island and there were a variety of restaurants to choose from. Having said that we did spend an awful lot of $$$ on food. I don't think there is a cheap option here! We loved zooming around in our golf buggy too. One Tree Hill is also a must see at sunset and for 'happy hour' - speaking of 'happy hour', we enjoyed many of these by the pool.
Can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Anything above the fourth floor has ocean views!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Great location and great view. We were on the 11th floor. But the rest of the hotel is tired and in need of a makeover big time. Eg lift that leaks when it rains. Room staff were the providers of best service. Reef bar staff were very poor. Front desk variable. Concierge energetic and efficient.

And what's with the lobby kiosk? Staff who couldn't manage eftpos machinery properly. And the need to telephone across the lobby to book a purchase to our room. Really? Technology answers that need immediately. I expect they are a concession separate to the hotel. Irrespective for all intents and purposes Matt, they represent you, but poorly.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank RogTrish
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Hi RogTrish

Thank you for your review.

Certainly glad you were able to enjoy our hotel & the view that it has become famous for.

I’m concerned to hear that you had some issues during your stay & I appreciate you bringing them to my attention.

I shall action these personally and I do apologise for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

When we arrived at our room and saw the view I half expected to see the pirates of the Caribbean emerge from under the palm trees! Wrong part of the world I know, but wow! What a lovely, lovely place to finish our stay in Australia. Extremely spacious room, clean and so comfortable - and to wake up to that view every day - I really didn't want to leave!
The staff were helpful, polite, nothing was too much trouble. We can't wait to return, perhaps for a little longer.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Alianne2013

Thank you for your review.

I’m glad to read you didn’t run into any Pirates under our Palm Trees & to also hear that staying with us here at The Reef View Hotel on Hamilton Island was the perfect end to your stay in Australia & that our team where able to make such an impression.

Hope you can visit again soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Believe this is a 19 storey hotel, we were lucky enough to stay on the 18 th floor which meant we had great views of the beach and resort.The room was a very good size with 2 very comfortable Queen sized beds.A good sized bathroom with a separate shower cubicle.Fresh towels for the beach left daily in your room.Good selection of choice at breakfast which no matter what time you went was always very busy.Respect to the chef in charge of cooking the eggs, he was doing so many different orders plus cooking for the buffet as well.His omelettes were delicious.

Room Tip: For great views request a room above floor 10 at least
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mandrew465
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay in this hotel. I got a room on the 8th floor so had a superb view! The room was very spacious and the air con was just perfect. There were so many activities included as part of the hotel package. Although the price is fairly high, consider the activities and amenities provided by the hotel, it beats any other resort stay! Got a good price via a members website. I am hoping to be back there next year!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013

What a beautiful tropical setting! The entire island has a great resort feel. Perfect for families with lots of activities to keep everyone happy.
But don't expect 5 star service or quality (despite what you pay-everything is pricey). I'm sure 15 years ago the hotel probably shined and gleamed with all the new fittings. But today it really looks dated and daggy.

As i was here for work, and work booked my room(probably cheapest available-but still very pricey)I was unfortunately given room 212. Not a great view, you can see the pool and trees, but no water view as mentioned in other reviews of the upper floors.

But the real issue is the supersonic cyclone resistant willy wonka type elevators located right next to my room. Don't even try to have an afternoon nap with these going up and down all afternoon. You will soon forget you're in a tropical paradise and feel like you're trying to sleep in an office tower in the maintenance room! And the beautiful waterfall you notice upon checkin in the foyer- dont let appearances fool you. From my bed it sounded like someone was permanently hosing concrete!! So I asked for a quieter room please. No can do I was told. We are full to capacity and cannot move you. They did turn off the waterfall in the evening and closed down the 2 elevators closest to rooms at night- but trust me you can still hear the others going all night. And the general noise from the foyer still travels into your room with the waterfall turned off. Note to management- simple solution don't book this room to paying customers!! Unless of course you're money grabbing.

The fire alarm went off at 2am for what sounded like about 20mins, the report saying it was a false alarm came about 10mins later

Now for the rest of the room. Quite large and spacious, but not much cupboard space to hang your clothes. No screens on the doors and don't try to eat on the balcony- the lorikeets tried to steal my muesli bar out of my hands, granted- this is the fault of tourists not the hotel. The bathroom is spacious however the energy saving LED down lights are horrible for trying to put on makeup, and considering the only mirrors in the room are in the dark bathroom -you're screwed! Minibar prices are as reasonable as you can get on the island. $4 chocolate bar, $30 bottle wine

$35 breakfast in the hotel is horrible. Rubbery overlooked eggs, dried out bacon, and greasy over crunchy hash browns certainly not 5 star quality. The fresh food bar looked more like the left overs from sizzler than a resort. With capacity you can barely find a free table, and when you do, you have to share it with birds picking the food as the staff cannot keep up to clear the tables. The plates and tea cups are still wet straight out of the washers again I'm guessing the staff straining to deal with capacity. You're better off walking to the marina and have a cheaper fresher breakfast which you can charge back to your room ( just make sure you have your room key hanging conveniently around your neck).

We were forced to have dinner here with customers as everywhere else on the Marina was booked( and with the 2 top restaurants closed Sunday nights you are left with slim pickings). The price was reasonable, just over $100 per head for 2 courses and wine. The menu like everything else is dated and boring-nothing fancy to impress clients, but you do get what you pay for here.

The hotel pool was nice, but the bougainvillea pool -2 mins walk away was nicer.

They offer airport transfers, and happy to take your bags straight up to your room while you checkin, but if you are in a rush to change after a long trip, then you're better off taking your bag up yourself.

Would I come back? Probably not. Would I recommend it? Yes if you want to be one of 200 rooms with kids. Better hope they are not full to capacity as they simply wont cope.

You're better off paying up and staying in style at the beach club.

• Stayed: November 2013
Heart Hotel and Gallery Whitsundays
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#5 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!