“Lovely Hotel amazing views of coral sea”
Review of Reef View Hotel

Reef View Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Airlie Beach, Australia
“Lovely Hotel amazing views of coral sea”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Lovely hotel on Hamilton island. One of the cheaper options not that you would know. Went on a stand by rate so value for money was amazing!!! fast and efficient check in by the lovey staff on reception. Room was ready early so was able to go straight up. Stayed in a coral sea view room which was lovely. Bathroom was huge!!!! would definitely recommend!!! Brekkie wasn't included with the room rate we got however we purchased in the morning. It was pretty expensive but it was great!!!! everything to choose from and if you wake up with a big appetite you will not be disappointed!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amy r
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Hi amy r,

We're honored that you chose the Reef View Hotel for your local getaway. As a resident of the Whitsunday region for many years I am constantly amazed at the great places we have to visit in our own backyard.

Thanks for your kind comments, and remember we're only a short ferry trip away from your next escape from the mainland.

Reef View Hotel and Palm Bungalows

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Great getaway destination. Small relativel built up island with lots of golf buggies! Everything is expensive. Staff are adequate to purpose but do not usually do any extras. Would benefit from more client focus.

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must
2 Thank GreatTravelling
Mackay
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I arrived on Hamilton after an operation on my foot wearing a moon boot. The staff went out of their way to accomodate me. Shifting me to a room closer to amenities as to minimise my walking distance. Gave me a later checkout so I could rest a bit befor my transfer and even dropping me off at the marina so i didnt have to climb into the bus. I cannot thank them enough for their personal care of me. I am often on hamilton island with my job and occasionally I stay over.I read reviews from people about average service and dated rooms do these people just want something to complain about??? The reef view has wonderful rooms fantastic views and very helpful staff!!!!!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RhondaMackay
Hi RhondaMackay,

Thanks for being such a loyal guest and advocate of our hotel and staff on your many visits. I'm pleased on both a professional and personal level, that you were given such a high level of attention and care during your recent stay.

Please feel free to contact me directly on your next visit, should you have any special requirements - we'll be happy to help you out however we can.

Reef View Hotel and Palm Bungalows
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We travelled to Hamilton Island in June 2013 for week away from the cold, to celebrate our anniversary. Our first impressions of the Reef View Hotel, were that it looked a little dated, but it was in a fantastic location. We were situated on the tenth floor in an Ocean View Room.
The room was big enough, however we were given a room with two queen beds which I thought was strange since they knew it was a for a couple. The view from the balcony was fantastic. The downside, was the cleanliness of the room. The bathroom in particular looked like it hadn't had a proper clean in months! There was mould in the shower and dirt and dust built up on the floor. Not very romantic!
During the week we spoke with reception staff about getting an upgrade to a Reef Suite for our final night, which we were told was going to be an extra $200 per night. Of course we expected to pay for the upgrade, but $200 on top of what we were already paying, at last minute was a bit much. I waited until the day before, to again ask if there were any Suite's available at last minute for an upgrade, and the cost had gone to $219!! I was assured this was the best price they could do, but neither of the staff went out of their way to talk to anyone else to see if a deal could be made, it was take it or leave it. Because it was a special trip away for our anniversary, we decided to upgrade to the Reef Suite anyway. The Suite was amazing - King Bed facing the views and a beautiful spa to enjoy. There was fresh fruit in the room, proper coffee and a nice selection of tea to enjoy, and magazines to read. We were even given a private transfer to the airport on the day of our departure, and a separate departure lounge for Qualia, Beach Club and Reef View Suite guests only. Although the Reef Suite was beautiful, more effort could go into the upkeep and cleanliness of the other rooms. Guests are still paying top dollar to stay at this Hotel, so a few extra's wouldn't go astray. If you're staying here with a family or group of friends, it would be a perfect hotel, however if you're after a romantic holiday or like the special touches - I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Request a room above level 10 for fantastic views. If you can afford it, go for the Reef Suite.
4 Thank MarleyB255100
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We were a little apprehensive about staying at the Reef view due to some of the bad reviews on here, but thankfully we needn't have worried! Transport is sorted all from the airport, and our luggage was in our room before we even got there even though there was no queue at check in, which we thought was great! The staff were courteous and helpful at all times. We had a two queen bed room on the 11th floor and it was great especially with little one. Lots of space to run about in with a big sized bathroom too. The room was serviced daily and we could not fault it. The guy at the activities desk was really helpful, and i am so glad he convinced us to go on the Fly/Cruise to the reef, it was just breath-taking. We also managed to see a humpback whale from the helicopter!!! The ferry on the way back was a smooth journey thankfully. Our main objective of this trip was to see the reef and we were not disappointed, it was truly worth ever single penny we spent!

We also went on a day trip to whitehaven, which was gorgeous! After spending 2 hours there we were taken to daydream island. If you are short for time, i would recommend skipping this altogether as it was nothing special at all. We opted for the cafe style lunch, which was just vouchers given to you to spend at the cafe. I wish they didn't have the option for this as it felt like such a waste having to spend $20 each for each adult and $10 for a child in a really quite rubbish cafe. Like i said, entirely forgettable island with not much to do on it, and although the staff said we could leave before our allocated time which was 15:15, there didn't appear to be any ferries that left here so we were kind of stuck for 3 hours!

The turtle discovery snorkel is AMAZING and in my opinion not advertised well enough. For only $15 we snorkelled in a group of 10 off catseye beach and saw MASSIVE gorgeous turtles, i saw 4 in total and it was just incredible!

Just a few points

- The grocery store is pretty well stocked, and not as expensive as i had thought it would be, especially compared to sydney prices.

- Renting a golf buggy is well worth it!

The only negative points i found were

-Food on the island is generally average, and over priced for what it is. I would recommend bringing some snacks along as eating out all week does get tiresome

-Service in the pool terrace restaurant is terrible. Even when it is totally empty and there are 4-5 staff around, you will be ignored and lunch will stretch on for the longest time ever. I found it much much quicker (bizzarely) to order room service through the pool terrace restaurant. The only annoying thing about this is that they would not extend their "kids eat for free" to room service. It was so terribly frustrating sitting in the restaurant though that we just paid the extra to have room service instead.

-The bowling alley is ridiculously overpriced for what it is, and 9 pin bowling is not as good as ten pin bowling that i am used to!

All in all, we would definitely come back here again. It isn't cheap, it isn't even value for money to stay at, however, there is no other option really if you want to stay somewhere reasonable, have a buffet breakfast, and get to see the reef. You will pay premium prices, however it is still worth it at least once for the experience.

Room Tip: Aim for high!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Umbongo83
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hi Umbongo83,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your family holiday to Hamilton Island and the amazing reef and beaches we have on our doorstep.

I am disappointed to read your experience at the Pool terrace restaurant, and will be talking with the team there to understand where the bottlenecks are in regard to customer service. This must be improved.

All in all it seemed like you had a great holiday and I was glad to hear of your close encounters with the humpback whale and turtles. It only reminds me of how special this part of the world really is.

I hope those magic memories will bring you back to our shores again one day.

Reef View Hotel & Palm Bungalows
Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We spent 3 nights at the reef view, perfect location, great views, very clean, staff were very friendly and helpful, buffet breakfast was amazing. Fantastic holiday, we are already planning our next trip to Hamilton island with the kids. great family friendly holiday!
P.S Manta Ray Cafe is a must during your stay, amazing pesto garlic bread and gourmet pizzas!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift, we were the first room down the hall and at night the lift was a...
Hi Tammy W,

I'm sure you'll be a very popular mum when the kids find out they are going to Hamilton Island for their next holiday.

I'm so happy you had a great time and I look forward to you bringing the whole family this time. They won't be disappointed.

Reef View Hotel & Palm Bungalows
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I enjoyed bingo in the reef lounge and had a beautiful apartment on the 19th top floor with fantastic views. Unfortunately their security in the Reef Hotel and for the entire Island is privately owned and operated and they have their own laws. When I was not included in a private function after Bingo I was handcuffed and removed from the island and taken to a Psychiatric Facility because security labelled me as psychotic.I would not recommend this place at all. The beach club across the road has tired rooms but service and absolute beach frontage is much much better.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Heart Hotel and Gallery Whitsundays
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#6 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!