“Amazing place, excellent hotel”
Review of Reef View Hotel

Reef View Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Pereira, Colombia
“Amazing place, excellent hotel”
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I will come back definitely, great hotel, magical island, my wife and I, had a wonderful time.

Food was fantastic and the landscape breathtaking, I guess is one of the top locations I have visited so far. So much to enjoy and too little time in there.

Whitsundays it's a MUST DO GUYS and book a full day trip people who booked half day missed the real magic of this place, it's a Nature's oasis.

• Stayed April 2013
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Hi AlejandroMartinez,

I enjoyed reading your review. It seems you really embraced the wonder of the Whitsunday Islands during your stay. I've been living here for years and I still get blown away by it's beauty.

Let me know when you return and we'll ensure that your next trip is even better than the last.

Warm regards

Reef View Hotel & Palm Bungalows

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Townsville, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We found the entire experience of staying at Hamilton excellent, even the scattered rain did not really ruin it although I would not got there in the wet season as if it was torrential rain all day you would not really be able to do anything. From the ferry service accross to the pick up for motel and the accommodation at Reef View I cannot complain about anything. It is an expensive place to go however with this in mind its a beautiful location and you get out of it what you put in. We took our 2 small children and probably found that we would not want a longer trip than 2/3 nights as we pretty much did everything we could with the kids that was on offer except go karting as this was closed which I assume was because of the rain. Mind you the most fun they had was just playing on the beach which my husband and I were able to just sit and watch as it was fairly quiet on the beach most of the time.

Room Tip: we stayed on the 3rd floor room 319 and could not hear anything from outside.
Sydney
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed for 4 days in a suite (top floor, L19) with 3yro and 1yro in March. My husband is in the travel industry so we are fortunate enough to travel the world staying in mostly 5star accommoation (my husband was actually at Hamilton for a travel related conference). We chose the suite as it is over 2 levels and though this would enable us to put the kids to bed and go downstairs and relax. However, the (extermely large and beautiful) bathroom with the most enormous window backs onto the bed so the light streamed in all night (from the corridor lights) and early in the morning making sleep a bit tricky (no door on the bathroom).

Room - The suite itself was lovely and modern and the view (as others have said) was beautiful. The hotel itself is mostly tired and kitsch (with a bizarre and dated fake rainforest/water feature in the foyer).

Getting around - the hotel is a good 10 min (hilly) walk to the marina where there is an assortment of restaurants and food options (ie bakery, fish & chips and supermarket). We hired a buggy for a day which was fun and convenient. There are shuttle buses from the resort to the marina but they were often full and come only every 15mins.

Service - due to the suite, we had someone collect myself and the kids from the airport personally which was a lifesaver (as my husband was already at the conference). We found the service reasonably good BUT for the fact there is no pool service. This meant that at lunch you had to pack up yourself and the kids, get changed etc and either make the trek to the marina or sit in a restaurant at the resort. This may not be important for some, but this was a real failure on the part of the resort from my perspective, really impinging on my enjoyment (I have never seen this as a resort anywhere).

Food - we were really happy with the quality of the food. We had breakfast included so ate at all 3 restaurants (the one with the koalas was nice, quiet and of course appealing to the kids). The buffet selection was reaonably good and had all the basics. We had fish & chips at the Marina (great) and dinner at Manta Ray Cafe (great pizza, cocktails and milkshakes). We also had dinner at Coca Chu which was beautiful.

Kids Club - my 3yro tried out the kids club for 3 hours in the morning and really loved it. He had a lovely time and the carers were attentive and lovely and he wanted to go back the next day. We hired a baby-sitter for one evening to go out to dinner and she was the team leader of the childcare and we were very comfortable with her. From memory it cost approx $60 for 3 hours.

Surrounds - it is a great family destination and only 2.5 hours from Sydney so easy access. The beach itself was great for the kids (although we went when it was affected by high winds) but this did not impede my 3ryo from exploring the beach at low tide and swimming at high tide. The water was warm. We tried the catamarans (free) and swam in the 3 different pools on offer.

Cost - within our expectations. We would prefer to stay in an apartment at the hotel next time but understand that is approximately $900 per night which is pretty prohibitive. Nothing in Australia is inexpensive though so we did not expect it to be a cheap short stay. Same prices for food as in good Sydney restaurants.

All round good family resort - but if you are used to 5 star resorts found in Asia or Fiji, it does not compare in terms of service or quality but the beach is beautiful (really there is no-where like Australian beaches). We did have a wonderfl time and would probably go back again (if I can get my head arond having to pack everything up at lunchtime just so we can grab a bite to eat).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hi Liesaj,

What a great review, thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your holiday. There really is a lot of great family activities and services at the Reef View and across the Hotel and it seemed as though you gave everything a try which is great.

I'm glad you enjoyed the great choice of restaurants on the Island, however I was surprised to see that you were unable to get lunch at the Reef view Pool. The pool terrace restaurant is located directly next to the Reef View hotel pool, and you can actually get a table at lunchtime that is within metres of the pool itself. The Pool terrace is a very relaxed family restaurant that specialises in serving a great family lunch menu and would have accommodated you and your family without the need to get changed and relocate all your belongings. You can even room-charge the meal so that you don't have to bring your wallet to the pool area.

I do hope that we get to host your family back here at the Reef View Hotel. If I can assist with your booking, please contact me on mboileau@hamiltonisland.com.au and I will try to help in any way I can.

Warm regards

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Overall, our stay was disappointing. We were 1st booked into a room that was overlooking the roof (not the garden as advertised, with stained & ripped furniture. We upgraded (at an additional cost of $70 per night) to a room with a lovely view, but that was still tired & needed a good dust. Don't waste your time on the buffet breakfast, $34 plus the cost of a coffee if you don't want instant. Most of the staff seemed like they had somewhere better to be, except Paris on the front counter, who was very friendly.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Andi252
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Hi Andi252

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments and I'm sorry to read of your disappointment with our Garden View Rooms.

As our Garden View Rooms are located on the first 4 floors of the Hotel, they are not elevated enough to get a clear view of the Coral Sea, however they all look directly out onto tropical palm trees and manicured gardens; with some even overlooking the pool. We realise that most guests prefer a sea view when holidaying on Hamilton Island, which is why we sell these rooms at a slightly lower rate. Despite the lower price, they certainly don't lack for size, comfort and amenities.

The roof you disliked seeing is the awning over our ground floor pool-front restaurant. Whilst this awning is viewable from every floor if you were to look directly down over the railings, perhaps it was more noticeable to you on the lower floors, and not what you had expected. We will review the room descriptions on our website and see if these descriptions are at all misleading and make appropriate changes to avoid confusion to future guests.

I also appreciate your comments regarding Paris on our Front Desk, and I will pass on your positive comments to her today.

Warm Regards

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We came back to Hamilton Island with our kids this time and the kids really enjoyed the time. We had a great view to the beach and loved our short 2 day stay. The breakfast buffet was really nice and we all loved it. I want to thank the Management to give us this opportunity to come back to this beautiful island with our kids.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed April 23, 2013

it is a very large hotel with the rooms definitely ok - a bit tired, but just a bit. but the place with such prices (we paid 600$ for a night) could be more warm and friendly.
noone was rude or something, but when we needed to book a plane to get back to Airlie Beach i would expect some help with that especially given that we are not from an english-speaken country and phone conversations with australians took much more time and reiterations - noone tried to help, just pointed at the phone number on the leaflet i had with myself telling we had to call this number (quite evident, not so helpful)

No specific problems, no specific positive emotions either.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stanMoscow
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is a very shabby, dated attempt at a hotel. I get the feeling they are hiding behind the sunshine. The rooms are undoubtedly large with good beds but that's where the pluses of this hotel ends. Surly, miserable staff and poor quality astronomically priced food and drinks. Don't bother.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere, they don't deserve your money
4 Thank SM123_12
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Hi SM123_12,

I’m sorry to see that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. It’s hard to pinpoint exactly why your stay was so unsatisfactory because there isn’t much detail in your review. I’m keen to hear about your experience on Hamilton Island and what might have happened.
My personal email address is mboileau@hamiltonisland.com.au so please feel free to contact me.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards

Qualia Resort
Qualia Resort
#2 of 5 in Hamilton Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,296 reviews

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!