“Hamilton Island” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
York, United Kingdom
“Hamilton Island”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

We were completely misled by the website and went to Hamilton Island expecting a bit of rest and relaxation with a bit of luxury thrown in. Was very disappointed to find ourselves 9 floors up in a concrete tower with children running up and down the corridor at all times of day and night! We did a quick calculation of what the stay had cost it worked out at just over £3000 for 5 nights B & B for 2 rooms, we did the best of the Whitsunday's package. The general cleanliness and room decor left alot to be desired however did complain to the Hotel and they couldn't do enough for us relocated us to the 19th floor in the Presidential suite - what a difference wasn't like being in the same Hotel. As for breakfast would recommend eating away from the main hotel in the Sails restaurant it was much much quieter and the views beautiful. As for Hamilton Island it is a beautiful Island but we all felt 5 days was enough, very expensive to eat out and limited choices of restaurants.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Hi Caroline D,

Thank you for sharing your thought on your stay at Reef View.

Reef View is popular with families and this means that school holidays periods can be busy.

I’m very happy to see that you enjoyed the rest of your stay after getting off on the wrong foot and I’m glad that you enjoyed staying with us.

Reef View Hotel & Palm Bungalows

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

My partner and my friend and her boyfriend booked a trip together early February to Hamilton Island for a week. It was the best holiday in my opinion; we spend most of our time relaxing by the swim up bar sipping cocktails at the pool on the other side of the resort. We also did some activities such as jet skiing and we took a speed boat cruise to chawkies island to do some snorkeling on the reef, then we stop of at another beautiful island to relax by the perfect white beach. And another day we just spend exploring the island on a golf buggy you can hire for about $80 a day. I love how organized everything was at this resort, when you step off the plane everything is looked after and check in was quick and easy and the activities desk was very helpful. The view from our room was amazing and something I would never get tired of seeing. The food at the restaurants were expensive but the quality and portion was good, one night we dined by the swim up poolside restaurant. We had a small issue, we waited over an hour for our food and when we asked about our order we were told our docket never printed to the kitchen, our meals were quickly rushed out and the meal was completely refunded and everybody was very apologetic, they defiantly turn use from detractors to advocates. But in conclusion the whole trip was great and I would love to go back, just some advice make sure you bring your own alcohol if your planing on drinking and be prepared to spend a lot of money at the restaurants and also the wet season is our summer so we had a few showers but the weather was still warm.

Room Tip: had a reef view room on level 8, great views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

We loved the island and its uniqueness. Reef Hotel had the best bathroom of our trip to Australia. Rooms was huge as was the tv, with a great balcony and wonderful views. The nearby beach and beach side pool were great.

Our advice for British people, who will find Australia very expensive, is eat in the hotel in the evening. All you can eat for $39.00. The eating places around the harbour are very expensive and our experience at the Manta Ray was very poor.

A fun place for a few days.

Room Tip: Any I think.
1 Thank Jennifer K
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Hi Jennifer K,

I’m glad to see that you really enjoyed your stay at Reef View Hotel on Hamilton Island. Thanks for sharing your opinion on Tripadvisor.

The buffet at Reef View is great value but also remember that Reef View guests are able to feed their children 12 and under for free at many of the restaurants in the Marina. See our official site for more details on the "kids eat free" policy.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope that you return to us the next time you’re in this part of the world.

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

A great hotel with beautiful views, clean and comfortable with great service. Would highly recommend to anyone looking to go to Hamilton Island. Conveniently located with plenty of room options for any budget.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Built in 1990, this hotel is now showing it's age. We had a level 1 room, which meant the view was of the corrugated iron roof of the restaurant below littered with all the rubbish people throw from their balconies, and a little bit of the pool where people can see right into your room.

Rooms are big and spacious, room service is good and everything is clean, but this hotel is in serious need of a refurbishment or complete rebuild. 4 star in 1990 looks like a cheap motel twenty years later...

We went in January when there weren't many people. I imagine in the high season when this monstrosity of a building is at capacity the crowds would be unbearable. If you don't like 'touristy', this would not be the place to stay.

Room Tip: Do not get one of the lower rooms.
Hi freemason57,

Thanks for reviewing your stay at Reef View Hotel. It's a shame to hear that you weren't totally satisfied with your stay.

While Reef View was built in the 90’s, it has had soft refurbishments since then and we regularly do maintenance work to ensure that it’s around for many more years.

Reef View Hotel is the most popular hotel on Hamilton Island and it does get busy during peak seasons but we also put on more staff to maintain our service standards, so the guest experience is stable throughout the year. In fact, a lot of guests enjoy the buzz and excitement of the hotel when it’s at full capacity.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope that you will decide to come back again one day. I think you’ll love the Coral Sea View rooms – the views from these rooms are amazing.

New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

My partner and I recently stayed here for our 6 yr anniversary in January 2013. While our arrival was pleasant and we were provided with complimentary champagne and congratulated on arrival by staff on our anniversary - that was about the end of our customer service interaction. For the duration of our stay so in that aspect can't really comment on much.

The location itself is probably what holds up its prestige because it is right infront of catseye beach. Like all other accommodation on the island, provided complimentary use of non motorised water sports equipment, access to the islands pools and shuttle service. While our holiday was still pleasant its safe to say that was mainly to do with the island itself not the hotel we were staying at.

The hotel rooms are SEVERELY outdated, with cracks on the wall and a very unhygenic looking bathroom. If not for the magnificent view it won't be worth the 5 star price tag (nearly $400 a night on peak season). In addition, we ran out of hot water during our stay and DURING my partner's shower! Boy did I cop an earful off him, I got abused for the hotels incompetence! When we told one of the staff members he replied "oh your not the only one there are other hotel rooms affected also". As if that was meant to make it any better. Staff need a serious overhaul in their customer service training. Being in HR I know how critical this is to any business success especially in hospitality. Up your game guys!

Oh and to make matters worse, when we were departing the hotel to go to the airport - reception advised us to leave our luggage in our room and someone will pick it up and bring it to the shuttle (standard hotel service expected). Anyway, just as we were about to depart I saw them loading luggage onto the shuttle NONE of which was ours, and I queried reception again and was advised that the luggage staff must have overlooked it. Once again, incompetent staff seem to drag the hotels star rating and credibility down.

Oh yes and when I asked the bartender at the bar to make me a standard lychee martini he didn't even know what it was! We would've been better off paying the extra dollars to stay at the Beach Club - although pricey - when we went there for our anniversary dinner they were most accommodating even though we weren't hotel guests the receptionist took care of us and were very warm and inviting while staff were getting our table ready.

Buffet breakfast was a flop as well, food was below average and most 'hot' breakfast items shouldve been put under the 'cold' section because thats pretty much what they were. Fruit was bruised and battered. We ended up going to have buffet breakfast at the Sails which is 5 minute walk and is also part of your options if you stay on the island (you can eat at 3 different locations). So if you are going to stay here, your better off going to Sails - food there was awesome.

Finally, upon checking out and paying my room service bill, the receptionist was quite abrupt and did not make eye contact, say thank you for staying or even give a friendly smile. She was quick to dismiss me after I wrapped up the bill. Honestly, if your staff have pms or are just plain miserable tell them to lighten up a little. It would do your business some good.

Once again - if your hotel wasn't in prime location and one of the only hotels on the island - you would really have a hard time attracting or even keeping a customer base by now.

Unimpressed, one time hotel guest.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KCasal
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Just got home last night but didnt want to leave. I have never written a review but felt like I needed to this time. I had never been to Hamilton Island and tried to look up details before I left and read trip advisor, but it hards because everyone has different veiws about what a holiday should be about etc.. So all I can do is offer my experience and hope it helps or assist you in knowing where you want to stay. So I will try to cover the main things I think are important or what I look for before I book somewhere - LOCATION: Hotel is located central to everything, Island not that big but is 2 minutes away from main beach Catyese (sorry about spelling) 2 -5minute bus ride to main marina where most restaurants, shops and daytrips are located. 2 minutes walk from the main resort/community centre (i like to call it) which has 2 pools, information centre, Westpac bank branch, restaruants (2) on the water and on the beach front. The hotel beach club is also on the beach. You can walk to most places from here also but the weather is quite warm and the humidity when i was here was 98% so we only walked to the beach and resort centre for swims. The big pool with swim up bar does get quite warm and is not the deep one but its nice. the pool at sails restaurant is deeper and cooler and has the view of the ocean. The other plus is the Green bus (one of the 3 free bus shuttles the island offers) stops right at the front door of the Reef Hotel. For the beach club and apartments it stops the resort and you have to walk. So its a plus. TRANSPORT: buggys are $80 to hire for 24 hours or can be hired by the hour, with a $10 insurance charge and $250 credit card hold (so make sure you have a credit card) I believe if you hire an apartment most of them come with a buggy, but the Reef it doesnt. We hired one so we could see the island - but really we didnt need it for the 24 hours - as you can see the island in less than a few hours , and i would recommend that you use it to see one tree hill lookout for sunset. But they do have the purple and orange buses that go all around the island but they come every 25 minutes or so I think. The Ferrys are really expensive to other islands - we meet a local of Airlie on our flight so he gaves us a run down on everything which was really helpful. The ferry one way per person to Airlie is $50 per person so if you want to go to other island make sure your cashed up. I think also some tours do transfers but not sure how much. ROOMS- we booked last minuted and got a Garden view which seems to be the first 7 floors maybe which you cant see the water - but we got upgrade to a reef view room on the 14th floor - which was a great start. we were in 1402, which is at the ends further from the lifts - they are a good size, clean, i was amazed at how clean the carpet was. Big bathrooms. The beds were so nice, and had good sleeps. Daily house keeping is great. All staff at the hotel are so nice and helpful - they made us feel very welcome and very fast at any request. Hotel has nice pool just near the restaurant. I had breakfast twice and its nice. They also have wireless the hotel lobby and at the resort pool which was a plus considering Telstra and Vodafone were down the first few days due to storm, But hey needed to be offline thats the point of being on holiday. The lifts are glass and have an amazing veiw. now the famous birds - they are friends but Foe. They are harmless really and wont hurt you. But please be aware leave your doors closed when your not home - we left our ajar about 5 centimetres if that on our second last day, to arrive home I stepped in somthing and realised it was bird poop then looked around and we discovered they had been busy birds in our room in the hour we were gone. There were poops all around including on the bed, the smart birds worked their way to the bar fridge area (which i had wiped down before we left) it had 2 packets of 2 minute noodles which had not been opened mind you on the counter - i had not realised that the time but saw all these little cream things that looked like crumbs and was what the hell - I swear i wiped this before i left then it dawned on me that the noodles were missing then it dawned on me the crumbs were the noodles the little ones that fall our when you open the packet. The birds had somehow managed to steel and carry 2 packets of 2 minute noodles out the door. We had to laugh - cause how the hell did they manage that oh and a kit kat that was on the bench. Yes ,it happended. But the hotel was on top of it, came up straight away and cleaned it up - they have special spray. The guy that cleaned our room was so nice and I forgot to tell the hotel about it but will be emailing them to say how happy i was with our stay and thanks for making is so good. View was amazing. Most of the rooms besides the garden rooms have water views. I think its worth the money. But shop for deals. MARINA: has the restaurants and local shops which includes groceries, bakery, deli, post office, newsagent type place and ice cream palour. We loved Ramonos went their twice. The grocery store isnt overally priced but bit more than coles but they do need to make money. You can use Coles online - i would recommend if your staying in apartment. Most places take eftpos, and their are ATMS on the island (westpac) you can also carry your key with you and put to your room and just fix up at reception which is handy when you dont want to carry your wallet and million other things you just take your key around your neck. - ACTIVITIES: most of the the tours and things are located at the marina - you can book throught them direct or at the booking centre at Reef hotel at the reception area - we used watersports and they were great and friendly. We did parasailing which was $140 tandom. You need to be 75kg to do it along - it was so much fun and recommend it - and they dip you in the water - you gotta do things you dont normally do - thats part of the hamo experience. We also did the half day 2 in one tour which was $90 per person,. The morning session, we went snorkelling at chalkies in the morning and we saw so much just at that small reef, for about 45 minutes then across to Whitehaven beach for a swim and the wow factor for another 45 mins or so. Such a good half day. But their are lots of tours to do and things to do. Even day trips to daydream which heard were good. We are going to do the full day reef triper next time out to the hardy reef and plontoon thing through whitsunday cruises becuase thats the best reef tour. that is $210 per adult but gives you so much including food. Staying at the Reef you get watersports (non motorised) complimentary, so we took advantage of this and again its about doing things you wouoldnt normally do. We took the catermaran out (sorry about spelling again) and also snorkelled with the snorkel gear. We didnt get to do the paddle stuff but wished i had of now. This is located at catesye beach just off the resort pools , you go to the watersports hut and give them your room number -so make sure you have your key around your neck most days. And then off you go ... UM i think that is pretty much it - sorry for the long review - but what can i say we feel in love with it - weather and all - we had very good weather, we stayed for 5 days, 27th jan - 1st Feb. No storms - perfect sun. Was hot and very very humid so be prepared , but you get use to it and with a pool on every corner to jump into too its all good. I hope you enjoy your holiday as much as we did. We both celebrated our birthdays and are so glad we did it. We are already planning our next trip back. Feel free to ask me any questions. And use every hour of every day because it goes way to fast.

Room Tip: get room with water views. Ask for end rooms away from lifts - as our room was 1402 right at the end...
1 Thank Brodie L
Qualia Resort
Qualia Resort
#2 of 5 in Hamilton Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,292 reviews

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!