“Very Family Friendly”
Review of Reef View Hotel

Reef View Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We just celebrated our 40th Wedding Anniversary with all our family, renting three rooms between the 10th and 12th floors. The hotel and entire resort is very family friendly from the 'Kids Eat Free' meal offers at the Reef and several other venues to pool and beach activities.

The staff are all extremely friendly and competent. We organised a pirate treasure hunt for the five grandchildren which the beach activity staff helped us set.

The other reviews capture the many other positve aspects of the resort.

One suggestion for management: when one arrives at the hotel at 9.30 am off the Melbourne flight, having already had breakfast and all one wants is a coffee and a snack while waiting for the room to become available, how about a coffee cart in the foyer rather than either having to pay for another breakfast or going without?

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Hi Horkesley,

Thank you for choosing to spend your 40th anniversary with us and congratulations on this achievement!
Very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that you will recommend Reef View Hotel to any of your friends that are planning a holiday to Hamilton Island.
Thank you for your suggestion RE the coffee/light refreshment cart in the lobby. I will definitely review this with my staff and see if it's possible. Please note that coffee is available in the Pool terrace Restaurant and in the Reef Lounge near the lobby, so there's no need for guests to purchase breakfast just to get a coffee.

Please know that you're welcome to come back to Reef View Hotel any time and I hope that you do.

There are newer reviews for Reef View Hotel

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed at the Reef View for 3 nights on the 6th floor the room was neat and fairly plain but the view out from the room on the Balcony was just magical. The rooms are really big and spacious the only thing that went wrong was when they cleaned my room they lost my tv remote but once i told staff they were very quick to rectify the situation. I would definietly stay here again if I come back to Hamilton Island. October is such a beautiful time to see the island last time we went it bucketed with rain the whole time make sure you check all the weather guides for the time of year your going.

Room Tip: get a room that's from floor 5 and up the view is much much better.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Hi Jamsey1,

Thank you for staying with us and I'm glad that you had a great holiday on Hamilton Island. I'm glad that staff found the remote quickly - it's a small thing but often it's the small things that count.
October has historically been very warm and sunny, so it's usually a very popular time of year to visit Hamilton Island.

Thank you for recommending Reef View Hotel and I hope to have you stay with us again in future.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Staying here for 5 days, its a wonderful part of the world to stay, and this hotel is great..The rooms are very big and well set out.The storage space is lacking no draws for clothes a couple of cupboards to put your clothes. but if thats all thats wrong here we're laughing.People throughout the resort are helpful and friendly.The free shuffle bus can take you around the island or down to the Marina where there are wonderful restaurants of all levels. Great free water sports as well as others you pay for. Great for families as the pool here is long but the other lagoon pool over towards the beach has a swim up pool bar..all in all heaven...

Room Tip: Ask for a room from level 5 upwards facing the pool and sea
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi gidgie52,

Thank you for your great comments about Reef View Hotel.
As you mentioned, there are large wardrobes where guests can hang clothes.
Many people walk around Hamilton Island but the shuttle buses are indeed very handy after a long day of swimming, snorkelling and paddle-boarding.

I hope that you are able to come back to Hamilton Island and stay with us in the not-too-distant future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Wow, we couldn't believe the view from our room on the 19th floor!
Loved the two balconies with opening doors. Also were very impressed with the sound proofing. There were quite a few weddings and some had loud music late into the night. We were amazed that we couldn't hear a sound when we shut the doors!
Beds were great and the bathroom was huge - biggest one I've seen in a hotel!
Also nice that we could have breakfast at 3 different places.
Overall it was so nice we really didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank cavamebri
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Hi cavamebn,

Thank you for reviewing us.

I'm happy to hear that you had such a great holiday and that you loved your Coral Sea View room. The balcony doors are double glazed so that sound can be blocked out but many guests sleep with them open so that they can hear the sound of the ocean down below.
I'm glad you were impressed with the bathrooms. A guest that I was speaking to last month joked that the bathroom was about the same size as his 1 bedroom apartment in Sydney.

I hope that you are able to come back to Hamilton Island and stay at Reef View Hotel again soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Arriving via buggy, i dropped the awesome wife off with luggage infront of two very capable looking young male concierge, 5 mins later arrival after parking the buggy, my awesome wife was STILL STANDING there with the luggage whilst concierge (A), was talking to concierge (B), probably about... hair gel? or... how many kg's he can bench press? Very poor initial experience Mr Reef View hotel.
If a young lady is standing there with baggage, why would you just let her roast in the sun? Not good enough. Stop hiring daft potato kids from one of the deserted islands.

Despite this initial sour taste, the hotel is fantastico!

We trekked from self services apartments to the Reef View for our final two nights, and our room was renovated very modern, smelt clean, was clean, and had many many mirrors in which i could flex in.
The room shower head was kind of odd, very low for bulking huge men above 6ft. The sliding door to the balcony was also designed by a potato. The handle to slide, didnt slide! you had to use your fingernails or a tyre iron to lever the veranda door open. Luckily there was a bottle opener provided just in case. (room 308). Also, the television remote control... what can i say.
I may as well walk to the tv and press the buttons on the side (which dont work by the way), because the remote control is so dated and doesn work, that i may as well leave it outside for the cockies to grab and drop at the concierge. However this didnt diminish anything, because with some coathangers , aluminium foil and laying on the ground with my lef up, i was able to make the remote control work. Dont get me wrong, who needs tv, but im just saying... tv should work properly,just like the concierge and the sliding door.

Please try for a room above floors 5/6. because anything lower on the west side, you get a fantastic view of the palm trees and the two trolling useless concierge as mentioned before.

Also the elevators are great, despite them being a bit temperamental, you will find one elevator only works some times, and the other 3 take a holiday, im not sure how elevators are programmed, but there are 4 in total, so...why is it only 1 works at any one time?

the restaurant was quite the experience. My $36? barramundi was the size of canned tuna. Whilst i find this extremely acceptable (portion wise) in a 5 star restaurant, not when youve been jet skiing, kayaking and all manor of other extreme island sports and hungry as the dinosaurs on the secret island we visited. However, it was delicious and acceptable, albeit extremely resort priced (as expected)

The buffet breakfast is your standard affair. Quite a nice selection. get there early or you may be left with random hardened crossaints. But certainly IFFYM UP!!! you need those calories for all the water sport activities and walking and working out your eyeballs from all the beautiful scenery.

I would certainly stay at this marvelous hotel again, making sure we get a higher level room.
Staff are extremely polite and efficient, and look, it does get busy, and we do forgive the initial hickup, Hamilton is an experience, and one that everybody should have on their to do list.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Creole3000

G’Day Creole3000,

Thank you very much for your (very entertaining) review of your recent stay at Reef View Hotel.

Let me personally apologise for the delay with the luggage at concierge. I have had a chat with the employees in this area and given them a friendly reminder that they should be mindful of the needs of our guests and I’m confident that they understand.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your room and thank you for mentioning the room number as this helps us to fix the problem quickly. I’m having someone from maintenance look at the sliding balcony door to your room and we will replace the remote if we’re not able to fix it.

I always recommend to my guests that they stock up on food at our massive buffet breakfast in order to get through the day’s activities. Some guests are even able to skip lunch so it can even save them money!

I’m very happy to hear that you would stay with us again and I really hope that you do. Please contact me on mboileau@hamiltonisland.com.au and I will be happy to assist with your next booking.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed in a Coral Sea View Room at the Reef View Hotel for 5 nights in October 2012. Apart from it being expensive being a 4 star hotel it was great and we would go back again. Hamilton Island in general was very expensive and a word of warning to anyone going to the island is to take your money with you or if you have a Westpac bank use your debit card to withdraw money as there was a branch on the island. If you pay anything with credit card there was a 1.5% surcharge on all purchases!

Our room at the resort was spacious, the view was absolutely beautiful. We had uninterupted views and total privacy. We left our curtains open the whole time and woke up to a gorgeous sunrise each morning. We had quite a lot of channels on our TV although sometimes it would cut out for a few seconds to a few minutes.

The staff were really friendly. One of the conceirges even went out of his way to drive us up to One Tree Hill at sunset so that we wouldn’t miss out as we had just missed the shuttle bus. He got out the golf buggy and offered to drive us up. We really appreciated it and the sunset was just stunning.

Breakfasts aren’t just limited to the hotel itself if you have breakfast included in the rate. We had breakfast at the Wildlife Park one morning with the Koala’s which was nice. And most of the other mornings we had breakfast at Sails as it was right on the beach which was a great way to start the day.

Some people say the birds are pests but Hamilton Island is their home too. And I believe in respecting all native Australian Wildlife. I personally loved the Cockatoos coming to the balcony for a visit. They were never agressive and it is obvious that a lot of people feed them as they are not scared to get up close.

All in all we would come back – thank you for a great stay!

Room Tip: Coral Sea View Room was worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KylieandAaron
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Hi KylieandAaron,

It was great to read your review and get a sense of how nice your holiday was. Thank you for leaving a review of Reef View Hotel on Tripadvisor.
I was really happy to hear about the helpful staff member that gave you a lift to One Tree Hill to see the sunset – it would’ve been such a shame if you missed it because it’s so beautiful.

We are proud of our native wildlife and I think it’s important to remember that they were living on Hamilton Island long before any humans arrived. We don’t view them as pests but they also aren’t pets and we discourage guests from feeding them for the animals’ safety. The native flora and fauna add another dimension to the experience of Hamilton Island and we wouldn’t want anything to disrupt that.

I’m glad you loved your room and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again the next time you’re on Hamilton Island.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

The views from this 12th floor room were amazing. There were two double beds, a large bathroom with shower and bath, plenty of storage space, and small but very adequate seating area. Of course, the sea facing balcony was a real bonus.Complimentary tea/coffee/toiletries replaced daily, room service very efficient. We had breakfast included, which was excellent, giving great choices of food and as much as you can eat. This set us up for the day. General food prices are high so we didn't need to snack out after breakfast. The restaurant at the Reef View is a bit over priced,and menu choice a little limited but quality and service was good. Tv signal was weak and at times non existent, this was a problem all over the island, however, there was no DVD player provided as an alternative to TV for those rare moments when relaxing in front of the box would have been good. In other hotels this was provided so that we could hire a film from the local shop. Films were available from the Reef hotel in-house channel, but were very expensive. The swimming pool was clean and quite large, with plenty of sun loungers. Hotel staff were helpful, very polite and well organised. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing room, above the 6th floor, for great views. Keep a tally on items used from t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello owlfancier,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Reef View Hotel on Hamilton Island and I’m glad to see that you had a wonderful time staying with us.
I’m sorry about the trouble you experienced with your TV. We have had some reports from other guests and we are looking into the problem.
I hope that you will be able to stay with us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton Island
Heart Hotel and Gallery Whitsundays
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#6 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!