“Good value and great views - but don't pay full price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Reef View Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Reef View Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Sydney, Australia
“Good value and great views - but don't pay full price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is a good hotel on Hamilton Island - opened in 1990 but is hiding it's age well. Rooms are spacious and beds very comfortable. The views are amazing - but to get the best ones you'd have to be above floor 8. However would not pay full price ($450 AS) to return - search around for a deal as I and another guest paid approx. $250. Staff are very friendly (as they are across the island) and the reef pool although smalll feels modern (with comfy sun beds). Location is great (5-10 min stroll to the marina and beach). Overall safe option if you can secure a good deal online.

Room Tip: Stay above floor 10 for the best views of the reef
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GelatoP
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Hi GelatoP,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to review Reef View Hotel. I'm so glad to hear that you were happy with your accommodation and it sounds like you had a great time on Hamilton Island.
We have sales offers and package deals located on our website.
I hope to see you back at Reef View Hotel the next time you are on Hamilton Island.

Reef View Hotel & Palm Bungalows

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I loved Hamilton Island, probably one of the best holiday places to visit for a short stay to do as much or little of whatever you want to recharge the batteries. We stayed on the 8th floor facing the beach - view was stunning. We where next to the elevator shafts which you could hear going through the day but I did not hear them at night whilst sleeping. The birds on Hamilton can be a bit noisy (Curlew's call has to be heard to be believed). Sulphur Crested cockatoos think they run the place but for me this added to the experience and I loved it all the wildlife! Our room was clean, staff were friendly and pool, especially the reef centre lagoon were magnificent. Only one criticism I had was we did not have a breakfast included in our room rate so had to line up with the rest then move to another podium to deal with this issue, only one staff to deal with this issue hence the queue would start to back up. This system needs to be addressed, one podium to deal with the lot or two staff, cleary marked podiums to streamline entry to what was an excellent brekkie - birds and all:)

Room Tip: 8th foor had excellent views facing the beach. Rooms in the centre of the hotel can hear the elevat...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Deb W,

Thank you for staying at Reef View Hotel and also for your great review.

The native wildlife is a great part of the experience of Hamilton Island and as Hamilton Island is 70% protected national park, we have a lot of native flora and fauna around.

I will look into ways that we might reduce the wait time in the breakfast queues.

We hope that you come back and stay with us again soon.

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Hotel is located in good location, only minutes from marina, restaurants and airport, which you would expect as it is a small island. Check-in was very good and staff were efficient and helpful. Ask for a room on a high floor ocean-facing to take advantage of magnificent views. Room was tired and not really that clean, dailt room clean was also very poor, as I expect they only made the bed and gave the bathroom a once over. Breakfast was average, but not bad, just lacked quality of food, given the price of room. Staff in general were very hit and miss, some excellent, some totally disinterested. Birds are a real menace on your own balcony(never leave door open) and pool area, where they are constantly stealing food. One evening we lost water to whole hotel, rang every dept in hotel and not one answer, had to go downstairs and complain and they didn't seem that bothered. On checkout staff were poor and over-charged, upon request of details, they could not prove what was charged, seemed quite dodgy. Eventually amount taken from account, only to find the next day the hotel charged me again. NOT GOOD ENOUGH! I would stay somewhere else, perhaps an apartment, villa or holiday home. Just seems poorly managed overall and quite expensive for what it really is.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the lift shafts as they are very noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank PGH888
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Hello PGH888,

I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us was not as enjoyable as it should have been.

We did lose water due to pump failures and you probably couldn't reach anyone at the front desk due to other guests also calling to find out what the problem was. We were able to have the problem fixed after 2 hours, so I hope it wasn't too much of an inconvenience for you.

I wasn't able to investigate your claim of overcharging because I don't have your details. Please email me your details and I will look at this issue for you. mboileau@hamiltonisland,com.au.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We were travelling for business and my partner and I were looking forward to staying in this hotel. Unfortunately due to the lack of service (or enthusiasm to assist) by the hotel manager and some of the front desk staff this dampened our experience. I/we couldn't help but feel that the hotel had the attitude of "we have your money now... Work it out yourself".

The hotel was quite dated, dusty and had a lot of cobwebs but on a positve and more important note, the room itself was clean/tidy.

The rate includes non motorised water sports - which is a added bonus!!!

The buffet breakfast was enjoyable (approx AUD $25 - supposedly included in room rate) and you can pay for Internet in your room for $8 per night, with a $25 deposit for the cable. There is also a great selection of new films to pay for.

Having stayed at the Whitsunday apartments and now the Reef View hotel, I have to say that the Whitsunday apartments wins hands down! I appreciate that there are a lot of international tourists that the reef hotel must cater for, but if you are unable to "service" all of your clients by providing general assistance, then perhaps it's time to reconsider offering certain facilities!

Don't get me wrong, overall the service isn't as bad, the frustrating factor was that if certain hotel staff weren't too sure of anything, they would try and palm you off or refer you to concierge (who would then refer you back to front desk). The "manager" applied the same method of approach!

Thank you to the staff who helped and assisted us and made our stay as hospitable as possible, however I'm afraid we won't be visiting you again.

Ps watch out for the birds at breakfast time!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Mulie
Hello Mulie,

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm glad that you were pleased with the cleanliness of your room. The included use of watersports equipment is very popular and provides great value for our guests.

I have spoken to my Front Desk staff about your issues and I'd be happy to have a chat with you about it if you'd like to get in contact with me: mboileau@hamiltonisland.com.au

Droitwich Spa Worcs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Following a free upgrade we stayed for three nights as a package during our recent tour of Australia. A first class room with a first class view. Good food and serviced throughout. Would try and visit out of the school holiday period and ask ,for a high floor when booking. We really enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend well worth a re visit.

Room Tip: Higher floors are away from any noise around pool area and get better views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MalViDroitwichWorcs
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Hi MalViDroitwichWorcs,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I'm glad that you're holiday on Hamilton Island was 5 stars and I hope that you will come back and stay with us again in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I recently celebrated by anniversary on Hamilton in the Reef View Hotel. Matt had a bottle of wine waiting and a fantastic room.
I could not recommend the hotel or the service highly enough.
Thank you for making a wonderful memory that will last a lifetime.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adam L
Hi Adam L,

I'm glad that you enjoyed your wine - we like to try and make guests feel welcome and really appreciate when guests choose to stay with us for a special occasion. Thank you for the 5 star review and I hope we see you again next year for your anniversary!

Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My girlfriend & I absolutely loved Hamilton Island. I've been all over the world and my holiday to Hamilton Island is still probably my all time favourite for a short visit (if you can stand the humidity!). Cannot recommend it highly enough (great for about a 5 night visit, it's pretty small so any longer is probably too much) - would love to return!

As for the hotel, some good and some bad:
- On the island you have a few options: Whitsunday Apartments is the cheapest followed by the Bungalows and then Reef View. Only ever stayed here at Reef View but check out the Bungalows for a lower cost romantic option. Whitsunday Apartments I've heard is more of a family style accommodation although a little dated apparently.
- For the good, probably the single best buffet breakfast I have ever had. Just beautiful! You get the option of going to the other buffets on the island, but the one here at Reef View is the best tasting. There's another one with great views but this one has the best variety and they cook eggs etc for you if you like. Delicious and great quality.
- Love the ability to use watersports equipment, very close to the beach (it's Hamilton Island, everything is close to the beach!), great gym classes, incredible pools etc BUT the ability to use all this is available at all the hotels (except Whitsunday Apts) as it's owned by the same owner.
- Worst thing was that we booked through FlightCentre a 'romance' package. This included a lot of great inclusions like a dinner voucher at a top restaurant, nice bottle of champagne on arrival, sunset cruise etc. But surely the one integral thing to a 'romance' package is a bed you and your loved one can enjoy together!!!!! When we arrived we were shocked to find that we had two double beds (too small for sharing) and not a king bed! Who sleeps in separate beds in a romance package??? FlightCentre did not disclose this to us and obviously we would've chosen a king bed! I instantly called downstairs and they said king bed rooms were not included in our package. In any case he said they were booked out of standard king bed rooms but if we wanted a king bed we could upgrade to a suite for an extra $300 or something ridiculous a night (which regrettably we simply couldn't afford). As romantic as Hamilton Island was, sleeping in separate beds was a total romance killer. Don't know whether it's FlightCentre's fault or Reef View's fault but either way we were not happy. Just be careful if you book any romance packages!!
- Seems understaffed although we obviously came at the peak period (coincided with summer school holidays). If you want to talk to the concierge, expect lines of 15+ minutes. Don't even bother calling the concierge, you'll never get through.
- Overall though, hotel largely suited our purposes. We spent most of our time outside the hotel swimming, lying on the beach, exercising, gorging ourselves at the buffet, yachting, snorkelling, tours, spas/saunas, bushwalking etc, our room was not much more than a base for our bags, a place to shower and a bed to sleep in. It was perfectly clean, convenient, spacious, air-conditioned and comfortable. As most young couples would appreciate, however, a large soft king bed is almost the single most important thing in a romantic getaway. Just make sure you know what the bedding arrangements are before you arrive!

Room Tip: If travelling with your partner make sure it is a king bed. Therefore be VERY careful if booking a r...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom929
Hi Tom929,

Thanks for reviewing Reef View Hotel. I’m glad to hear that overall your stay was great and that you loved Hamilton Island so much.
Thank you for your positive comments about our buffet breakfast and complimentary watersports equipment. It’s always great to hear this feedback directly from guests.
I’m sorry to hear that you were surprised to find that you had two queen beds rather than one king bed in your room. It is actually possible to have a king-Size bed on the “Romantic Escape Package” and I’m sorry that your travel agent didn’t make this clear to you. I encourage guests to book directly with us through our website as all of the information and terms & conditions are clearly marked. We also have a call centre if you have specific questions that aren’t answered on our site. I’m not able to mention our site name in this Tripadvisor response but if you Google “Hamilton island”, it will be the top result.
The “Romantic Escape Package” is very popular with newlyweds and couples on holiday and while many choose a single king-size bed, many are also happy with having two separate queen-size beds. Rooms at Reef View Hotel are a massive 65sqm, so there is plenty of room even with two queen beds.

It’s a shame that what would have been a 5 star stay turned into a 3 star stay due to an oversight by your travel agent. Feel free to email me directly the next time you want to come to Hamilton Island and I will ensure that you are completely satisfied with your room and bedding. My email address is mboileau@hamiltonisland.com.au

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton Island
Qualia Resort
Qualia Resort
#2 of 5 in Hamilton Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,292 reviews

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!