“decent hotel, but WAAAAY too expensive for what you get”
Review of Beach Club

Beach Club
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Reviewed April 8, 2009

The good: this hotel in the beautiful and warm Whitsundays. Yay for that. We chose Hamilton Island as a jumping off point to snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef and visit beautiful Whitehaven Beach. The pool area at the hotel is very picturesque--you definitely feel like you're on a tropical vacation. Breakfast is included with your stay, and I found it pretty tasty. The bathroom is large, with double sinks, which was appreciated. Some of the staff is quite helpful and friendly (specifically, we remember Mark and Gemma being especially gracious).

The bad: this place is waaaay overpriced.

First, the housekeeping staff was pretty lackluster. The floor was not cleaned the entire time we were there, and believe me, you notice when that errant sand is left on the floor day after day when you're staying at a beach resort. They also never replenished our soap after two days. We requested the soap from the front desk, and were told someone would bring it up. They never did, and my boyfriend had to go search for a housekeeping employee with a cart down the hall to get the soap ourselves. I found it pretty disappointing that they did not provide new soap, again, because we were staying at a beach resort and were showering sunscreen off of ourselves twice a day. These may seem like little things, however, when you are paying upwards of US$400/night for a hotel, you start to think about what you are really getting. (By comparison, we stayed at the Four Seasons in Sydney for less than US$200/night, so don't think that Australian hotels are necessarily more expensive than anywhere else.)

Furthermore, in terms of service, when we first arrived, we mentioned to one of the staff that the screen on our bathroom window was missing, and we were told that it would be replaced right away, however, it was not replaced at any point during our entire stay--pretty shoddy service, if you ask me. And I did end up getting a pretty nasty bug bite one night, so I feel justified in making a complaint about that.

We mentioned to the hotel manager on our first day that we were considering extending our stay (this is before we had developed any doubts about the place). Later, when we inquired about whether we could pay a lower rate for the subsequent nights, we were refused, which is fine. However, when we did see the manager at later points during our stay, she ignored us and I definitely got a vibe that we were less welcome because we had tried to negotiate for a lesser price. Frankly, I'm glad we didn't spend the extra money, because I'd prefer not to support a place that would make guests feel that way.

Other things to consider: Catseye Beach is right outside the hotel, and at high tide, it is quite pretty. However, it is extremely rocky (and frankly unattractive) at low tide. I bruised my foot walking over some rocks to get into the water one day, so be careful! If you want to see a beautiful beach, head to Whitehaven.

The hotel is extremely loud. The windows are double-paned (I think), however, we were awaken by birds squawking every morning at about 6am. Good thing we were jet lagged and almost ready to wake up at that time, but that was extremely irritating nonetheless. Also, because you are so close to the beach, you can also hear the noises of activities (like live music) from your room late at night coming from restaurants (bars?) down the beach. I like live music as much as the next person, but not when I'm trying to sleep.

As others have mentioned, the entire island is basically owned by one company, so there is not much in terms of restaurants and it is all quite expensive. I would not recommend the steakhouse, as they seriously overcooked a steak (and at a steakhouse, that's kind of unforgivable). The fish and chip shop is okay, but took forever (and its a take out shop!). We did like the Manta Ray Cafe, however, and there was a nice view of the harbor from our table. There is universal room charge on the island, which is quite convenient, however, consider that there will be a 1.25% surcharge added to every purchase you make using a Visa or Mastercard.

The bottom line: My boyfriend and I had done extensive research before coming here. We wanted to see the reef and Whitehaven, and we sincerely enjoyed doing both of those things. I would recommend this hotel only because I honestly don't know where else we could have stayed that would have been just as convenient. However, I will not be returning.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sunshinelover33
Write a ReviewReviews (1,179)

Reviewed February 28, 2009

The transfer from the airport to the hotel was seemless, and we hopped onto the golf cart which ferried us to the hotel and arrived 5 minutes later and our luggage arrived shortly afterwards. Our room was not ready until 2pm but we knew that would be the case so it wasn't an issue and went for a wander round the island whilst our room was prepared.

As for Hamilton Island in general, I was a little dubious about two things: firstly, the weather at the time of year (Feb), and secondly the quality of the Beach Club accomodation. With regard to the weather, I'd avoid going in February unless you want to risk having some days totally dominated by rain. We stayed for six days and it rained or was very cloudy on three days of our stay. And as for the Beach Club, its not a 5* establishment. It might be when compared to other accomodation on Hamilton Island but using some of the true 5* hotels which I've stayed in it comes nowhere near them. Don't get me wrong its a nice enough place to spend some time, but for £300 per night its simply not worth what you are paying. This is probably the main reason as to why I would not recommend the Beach Club to a friend... its just overpriced for what you get.

The staff at the Beach Club were all very nice and welcoming, and were willing to answer/help when requested.

As others have mentioned the Beach Club is right on the Catseye beach which offers a very pleasant outlook. The pool was rather small and I would not have liked to be there when the hotel is at 100% capacity as I imagine it'd get rather cramped.

The room was of a decent enough size, but could have done with a freshen up, as some of the paint on the walls and floor tiles looked as though they could have been doing wth being replaced. It was well cleaned every day.

One really annoying aspect of our stay was being woken pretty much every morning between 8:30am - 9:30am by housekeeping! Once per day would be bad enough but some days we'd be woken straight after the housekeeping service by someone else looking to restock the minibar! It must be the only hotel I've even been to where it didnt have a DO NOT DISTURB tag available to be hung on the front door. Why?

We tried many of the places in the resort for dining and the experiences were OK. Probably paying over the odds for what you're getting.

The island does have a number of lovely spots but just seems a little too commercialised for me, and its not somewhere I'd be rushing back to visit.

1  Thank Marlboro_7
Reviewed February 20, 2009

We have recently spend 6 nights at the beach club, for what we hoped would be a bit of luxury for our honeymoon. Although the staff we brilliant I come home disappointment. The pick up from the airport by bus was fine. But then it took over a hour to get checked into our room, we were the last of quite a large group of arrival being dealt with by 1 person.

We were then put into a twin room, when I explained to the staff we were on honeymoon that could not change it as they were fully booked. Great start. The room itself for fine but rather dated and probably seem better days.

The breakfast is really nice and the staff are really helpful and friendly. Generally the food at the hotel is good but way over priced for the quality you get. This is by no means a Michelin star restaurant, but it’s trying to charge those prices.

The rest of the island feel kind of like a 70s holiday camp, and the other restaurants on the island were ok at best.

All in all a good stay but leave feeling disappointment on the quality for the price you pay. It’s not somewhere I would recommend or return.

3  Thank UkFai01
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We have just returned from what should have been 6 nights at this hotel, but sadly because it never stopped raining, we left after 3 days. This was not the fault of the hotel, but make sure you do not go there between December - March as this is the rainy season. We probably did not see this hotel at it's best, but we tried to be objective and to compare it with other 5 star resort hotels and sadly it fell short in many ways. It was right on the beach, and therefore, the views from the rooms are wonderful. The food too was excellent, but the dinners are a little expensive. However, the whole hotel is looking a little tired and could do with a complete make-over if it is to market itself as a 5 star hotel, for they certainly charge 5 star prices. The swimming pool is lovely, but very small. On the positive side, the staff were lovely and made every effort to make sure you enjoyed yourself.

2  Thank TPW2
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Hi, I have been meaning to write this review for some time and seeing the negative comments has spurred me to do it.

I stayed here in 2007 and thought it was one of the most enjoyable holidays I have had. I travel a lot with my job and stay at 5* hotels in different parts of the world, this one hits the nail on the head for relaxing and enjoying a great time. The rooms are decently sized and have everything you need, the staff are excellent and manage the balance superbly between being attentive and staying in the background, the hotel has all you would need and expect from a good boutique hotel.

For Hamilton Island itself, I can understand what some people have written about the guests on the island and the quality of some restaurants, but I would they are being slightly picky, at the end of the day Hamilton is a fairly large tourist island and not a secluded resort. If you want to spend a great few days relaxing and enjoying yourself, book it now.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jools10
Reviewed January 28, 2009

We chose the Beach Hotel based on reviews on Trip Advisor (Although Qualia tops the list; it was certainly not within our budget).

I read SoCal09’s review and it’s a shame that he didn’t have a good experience with the resort & the island itself – I guess it’s a matter of each to their own (I stayed at the Beach Club during the same time as him)

With the resort, it’s no luxurious hotel from Dubai and we weren’t expecting that but it does blend in well with the surroundings and in a good location. It’s pretty central to everything and right on Catseye Beach. We had a great view from our balcony and the Infinity pool.

Our room was fine – it was quite a good standard. The furniture did look a little dated but still in good condition. We had no problems in our room – it was clean, great king sized bed and housekeeping was quite efficient in the mornings.
I’m generally not one to stay in flashy hotels so I can’t really say how The Beach Club compares except to say for what we wanted/needed, it catered and it catered very well :)

I have to say the service we received from the staff was exceptional! They are definitely a helpful and friendly bunch (Gemma was a Gem!). When I booked through our travel agent, I requested a top level room (the resort only has 2 levels). When we arrived, we were shown to a room on the bottom floor. I approached Gemma, told her the situation and was able to move us without fuss or incident. Booking (and unfortunately cancelling some) tours was a breeze at the front desk – provided some good advice! The chauffeur service was also great!! (didn’t wait long to be taken places or be picked up).
One thing I will say is the food was pricey. We had breakfast there daily which was part of the accommodation package (very nice) and had the BBQ Seafood platter once (again, very nice). I can’t really comment about the quality/range of the food served at the resort because we hardly spent any time eating the resort.

We’re pretty easy going travellers where we try and make the most of any occasion/situation, no matter what gets thrown at us (like the weather we had – very hit and miss). I guess I was lucky to have good company – in the end, it doesn’t matter where you go or what you do, if you have good company, you’ll be guaranteed to have a good time no matter what. So if you’re like us, then you’ll definitely like staying at the Beach Club.

I started up a thread on the Hamilton Island forums: Top 5 MUST DO things on HI (Tours, sites, food etc...) where people have posted good suggestions for activities to do on the island.

Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank meli55a
Reviewed January 25, 2009

Unbelievably bad 3 night stay at the Beach Club. They are charging 5-star prices for a 2-star accomodation. The problems are numerous, so below are the low-lights:

1. Entire island has a dated, 1970's type feel to it. At check-in, the concierge boasted that the Beach Club was "only 18 years old". Problem is, it probably hasn't been updated once in those 18 years.

2. Beach Club looks like a typical 2-star motel from the outside. See pictures as part of this review.

3. Facilities are very small and cramped. And dirty. Dead bugs lying around and looked like nobody had swept or cleaned windows in days.

4. Room has shabby, worn furniture. Uncomfortable wicker couch.

5. Bathroom stuck in the 70's and dirty. Soap scum so bad in the shower, somebody had written a note in it. No joke!

6. Food is just awful. And unfortunately, all facilities on island are the same. Did not find a good meal. Wound up buying snacks at general store. Best meal to be found was taking ferry to Airlie Beach, but too bad it costs $86 round-trip per person (or we'd have gone there more to eat).

7. Most restaurants on island and the gym have no air conditioning. This is unbelievable in the tropics.

8. Definitely not an "upscale" crowd on the island. Not relaxing, with tons of drunken tourists crawling around the island on buggies.

Overall, just a terrible experience. I am shocked by the good reviews. The best part of our trip was a seaplane tour of the reef, but this was arranged by an outfit in Airlie Beach (not Hamilton Island). I can't believe this place cost more than the Four Seasons in Sydney.

Stay away!

#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#5 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Beach Club? Share your experiences!