“My kind of paradise & a wonderful stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beach Club

Beach Club
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Melbourne, Australia
“My kind of paradise & a wonderful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

My partner booked a long weekend away for my 40th birthday & chose the Beach Club not really knowing anything about it or the island, but he made a fantastic choice! The hotel was amazing, right from landing on the island I felt like you get the VIP treatment, collecting and delivering your luggage to your room first, then a very easy check in, Hannah made us feel very welcome : ) we arrived at 9am in the morning and our room was ready straight away and we were able to go and have breakfast by the pool after a quick freshen up. We loved the complimentary bottle of champagne in our room (didn't last long!), our room was on the ground floor just a few steps across the lush gardens to the beach. We never heard any noise from any other room in our whole stay, very quiet and peaceful. Breakfast was perfect and its nice to have a special each morning to give you a bit more choice. The staff are all so nice and accommodating, whatever we asked for, it was no trouble, they booked all our restaurants, excursions and spa treatments for us and ferried us around the island always with a smile and friendly manner even at 2.30am when we needed a lift back from the one club on the island! I feel like they did everything they could to make my birthday feel special. My partner took advantage of the free use of watersports on cats eye beach while I took advantage of the lovely pool. On our last night we had the 7 course meal right on the beach that they call the waters edge experience, the service was exemplary and a great experience eating a fabulous meal under the palm trees to the sound of the waves. Thank you to Marcus and his team for making our stay perfect! We will return!

2 Thank MissM404

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

The Beach Club almost lives up to its spin, it claims, “Awaken to absolute beachfront views at the Beach Club. Surrounded by landscaped gardens on Catseye Beach, the Beach Club Hamilton Island is a boutique retreat exclusively for adults. Romantic, intimate and perfect for couples, the well-appointed boutique rooms have a stylish and relaxed beach house vibe, tailor-made for relaxing. All rooms at the Beach Club Hotel have a private courtyard or balcony looking onto palm-fringed Catseye Beach and the Coral Sea”.

In most areas, it meets these claims:

• The comfortable bedrooms have a beach house feel
• The pool is private and fantastic
• The property is private and surrounded by lovely gardens
• The room terraces and balconies overlook a palm-fringed beach
• The food is excellent – dinner around the pool is highly recommended (this is where we had the best meal of our stay on the island)
• The service was excellent wherever you were in the property – room, around the pool, restaurant and on the (private) beach area.

Unfortunately, it also fails in a couple of key areas:

• The property is not as claimed on their website a “Non-smoking property” – there are many “designated smoking areas” and many guests who smoke. Also, an occasional the guest who smokes on their room terrace/balcony – in our case at 4am, 5.30am, 7.00am and in the afternoon. In our view, to claim to be a “Non-smoking property” is a complete misrepresentation and all reference to this should be removed from their advertising. This was a consideration in our decision to stay at the Beach Club.

• Whilst the majority of the staff are fantastic one or two let things down. When we arrived at the resort, we were asked to sit in the lobby/bar while check-in was completed. It turned out our room was not ready (which is fine as we were early), however, the staff member looking after us left us in the lobby with no time estimate, no updates and no options! We would of appreciated a short tour of the facilities, offer of a room to refresh ourselves and change (and yes they do have one) and/or perhaps seats and a table outside!

On the plus side, the management reacted promptly to our concerns and tried their best to resolve them – this ensured that we came away with a positive view of our stay.

This was our first visit to Hamilton Island, we were not quite prepared for the mix of large hotels, large apartment complexes, bungalows and private accommodation. The island was busier and less relaxing than we expected, there is no sense of being on an isolated tropical island. In fact in some areas, including around the Beach Club, it is quite built up. However, we found that all of the island’s staff were great and the restaurants generally very good. The real benefit of Hamilton Island is the excellent transport links, straight from Sydney to the Island – and then less than 10 minutes transfer time from the airport to the Beach Club.

Not sure that we would ever go back – but this says more about the general island experience and less about the Beach Club.

Note – a number of prior reviews have referred to the wine lists being dominated by Robert Oatley Wines. The reality is that this is not true, we had many different wines, including a few Oatley wines that were very good.

Room Tip: The quietest rooms are away from the lobby/bar/dining areas. We enjoyed having a ground level room a...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank SWKA
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

From the moment I stepped off the plane and was met by Kerryn and taken to the lounge at Beach Club and given a cold drink and something to eat while checking in, this holiday was everything I had hoped for and some. From the amazing breakfasts to the ground floor room and terrace - 5 steps to the pool or the beach - it ticked every box.
After reading what was available to do, on day 2 I went to Kerryn with my "to do" list and she accommodated every request for the next 4 days. The Beach Club maitre' de assisted with a booking at Mariners Restaurant with an off-menu request organised and accommodated effortlessly.
My booking for a Jet Ski tour I had misunderstood, thinking a driver would be part of the tour. When checking on this with Kerryn and having it confirmed that you drive the jet ski which I could not do - never been on one in my life, but wanted the experience - Kerryn organised an off-duty staff member to accompany me, allowing me to experience and incredible ride around Hamilton Island. Kerryn's input was way beyond the call of duty, as was Eaaron's who accompanied me.
I have never had a holiday like this that has returned me home so relaxed in a way that I have never felt before. My highest recommendation to anyone considering Beach Club - don't hesitate, it is worth it!

Room Tip: Ground floor, absolutely. From the terrace off my room, it was 5 steps to the beach or the incredib...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Wendy G
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Beach Club, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hello Wendy G,

We’re all happy that you enjoyed your time with us.
Kerryn and Eamonn are thrilled with the personal mentions. Eamonn will be more than happy to take you out on a Jetski ride anytime!
Thank you for the 5 star review and I hope that we will see you again soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Great location, beautiful views, nice surprise that its 18+ only (no kids). More $ than we would usually spend but we'll worth it.
Second floor was nice; try to get half way down: not too far from the restaurant but not too close to the very end (theres another pool and reception tent that can raise alot of noise). Rooms are a tad worn around the edges, but sill comfortable and sleek. Very friendly staff everywhere.
If you are a beach-snob Catseye may not rate high on your list. +'s: sand was nice, beach club has its own section just for guests (and they will ask non-guests to move), easy for water activities. -'s: can be a significant tide mid afternoon, very few chairs by a small (but lovely) pool.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Beach Club, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Hello rjhary,

I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thought that it was good value. If you are ever in this part of the world again, you’ll always be welcome to stay with us.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Having just returned from a honeymoon at Beach Club, I can honestly say that the jewel in the crown of the Beach Club is their amazing staff. The location is great, the views are wonderful but the staff are beyond belief. I have travelled extensively, particularly Europe and I can honestly say that I have never been so impressed with staff. Nothing was too much trouble, they were always there when you needed them without being intrusive. They were proactive and the friendly attitude was always present. I am tempted to mention a few names but, in fairness, we did not have a single complaint about any of them, just wonderful. The only thing that prevented me giving 5 out of 5 was the room. It was always clean and tidy and it was a good size, however the room itself was very tired and a bit run down. We were quite surprised that the drawers and cupboards looked like they were from a 2 or 3 star hotel, the fridge was showing marks of old age and the cupboard that it fitted into could not be closed properly because the fridge was too big for the cavity. If it were not for the very ordinary quality of the room this would definitely be a 10 out of 10 spot. I don't think I am expecting too much when I say that the room was a bit shabby, this is not a cheap hotel and for the money we paid we did expect a higher quality of room. I have taken some close up shots of the room if anybody would like to see them.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello Meloz2011,

I was really pleased to get this feedback about Beach Club and our staff in particular. I’ll be showing your review to everyone in our next meeting and I’ll tell them to pat themselves on the back for a job well done!

I’m sorry that you weren’t entirely happy with your room and I will make a note of your comments. Our rooms aren’t brand new with modern design features but I do think that they are tastefully designed and we receive many more positive comments about them than complaints. If in doubt, I encourage people to take a look at the photos/floorplans on the official Hamilton island site or simply check out the user submitted photos on this page.

Thank you for choosing to spend such an important occasion at Beach Club. I hope we will see you many more times in the future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here for our Honeymoon and it was perfect- from the champagne and personal congratulatory card from the manager to the free daily breakfasts everything was fantastic!
Because it is an 18 + hotel, it was so quiet the whole time. People were so respectful of one another it was incredibly tranquil.
The daily breakfasts were our favourite! Not only did it include a continental buffet but also you could choose anything off the large Breakfast menu.
The staff were incredible. So friendly and professional and making sure everything was looked after 24/7.
We highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second level are much quieter. We were on the ground floor which was lovely as we could...
2 Thank Lisey343
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

An excellent hotel, lovely staff, great food, great rooms, great facilities, private beach was excellent. One of the best hotels we've ever stayed at.

Absolutely stunning place and not a single negative.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Qualia Resort
Qualia Resort
#2 of 5 in Hamilton Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,288 reviews

Been to Beach Club? Share your experiences!