“Every expectation met and some.....”
Review of Beach Club

Beach Club
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Wollongong, Australia
“Every expectation met and some.....”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

From the moment I stepped off the plane and was met by Kerryn and taken to the lounge at Beach Club and given a cold drink and something to eat while checking in, this holiday was everything I had hoped for and some. From the amazing breakfasts to the ground floor room and terrace - 5 steps to the pool or the beach - it ticked every box.
After reading what was available to do, on day 2 I went to Kerryn with my "to do" list and she accommodated every request for the next 4 days. The Beach Club maitre' de assisted with a booking at Mariners Restaurant with an off-menu request organised and accommodated effortlessly.
My booking for a Jet Ski tour I had misunderstood, thinking a driver would be part of the tour. When checking on this with Kerryn and having it confirmed that you drive the jet ski which I could not do - never been on one in my life, but wanted the experience - Kerryn organised an off-duty staff member to accompany me, allowing me to experience and incredible ride around Hamilton Island. Kerryn's input was way beyond the call of duty, as was Eaaron's who accompanied me.
I have never had a holiday like this that has returned me home so relaxed in a way that I have never felt before. My highest recommendation to anyone considering Beach Club - don't hesitate, it is worth it!

Room Tip: Ground floor, absolutely. From the terrace off my room, it was 5 steps to the beach or the incredib...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Wendy G
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Beach Club, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hello Wendy G,

We’re all happy that you enjoyed your time with us.
Kerryn and Eamonn are thrilled with the personal mentions. Eamonn will be more than happy to take you out on a Jetski ride anytime!
Thank you for the 5 star review and I hope that we will see you again soon.

Beach Club Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Great location, beautiful views, nice surprise that its 18+ only (no kids). More $ than we would usually spend but we'll worth it.
Second floor was nice; try to get half way down: not too far from the restaurant but not too close to the very end (theres another pool and reception tent that can raise alot of noise). Rooms are a tad worn around the edges, but sill comfortable and sleek. Very friendly staff everywhere.
If you are a beach-snob Catseye may not rate high on your list. +'s: sand was nice, beach club has its own section just for guests (and they will ask non-guests to move), easy for water activities. -'s: can be a significant tide mid afternoon, very few chairs by a small (but lovely) pool.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Beach Club, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Hello rjhary,

I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thought that it was good value. If you are ever in this part of the world again, you’ll always be welcome to stay with us.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Having just returned from a honeymoon at Beach Club, I can honestly say that the jewel in the crown of the Beach Club is their amazing staff. The location is great, the views are wonderful but the staff are beyond belief. I have travelled extensively, particularly Europe and I can honestly say that I have never been so impressed with staff. Nothing was too much trouble, they were always there when you needed them without being intrusive. They were proactive and the friendly attitude was always present. I am tempted to mention a few names but, in fairness, we did not have a single complaint about any of them, just wonderful. The only thing that prevented me giving 5 out of 5 was the room. It was always clean and tidy and it was a good size, however the room itself was very tired and a bit run down. We were quite surprised that the drawers and cupboards looked like they were from a 2 or 3 star hotel, the fridge was showing marks of old age and the cupboard that it fitted into could not be closed properly because the fridge was too big for the cavity. If it were not for the very ordinary quality of the room this would definitely be a 10 out of 10 spot. I don't think I am expecting too much when I say that the room was a bit shabby, this is not a cheap hotel and for the money we paid we did expect a higher quality of room. I have taken some close up shots of the room if anybody would like to see them.

Hello Meloz2011,

I was really pleased to get this feedback about Beach Club and our staff in particular. I’ll be showing your review to everyone in our next meeting and I’ll tell them to pat themselves on the back for a job well done!

I’m sorry that you weren’t entirely happy with your room and I will make a note of your comments. Our rooms aren’t brand new with modern design features but I do think that they are tastefully designed and we receive many more positive comments about them than complaints. If in doubt, I encourage people to take a look at the photos/floorplans on the official Hamilton island site or simply check out the user submitted photos on this page.

Thank you for choosing to spend such an important occasion at Beach Club. I hope we will see you many more times in the future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here for our Honeymoon and it was perfect- from the champagne and personal congratulatory card from the manager to the free daily breakfasts everything was fantastic!
Because it is an 18 + hotel, it was so quiet the whole time. People were so respectful of one another it was incredibly tranquil.
The daily breakfasts were our favourite! Not only did it include a continental buffet but also you could choose anything off the large Breakfast menu.
The staff were incredible. So friendly and professional and making sure everything was looked after 24/7.
We highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second level are much quieter. We were on the ground floor which was lovely as we could...
2 Thank Lisey343
London, England
Reviewed March 16, 2013

An excellent hotel, lovely staff, great food, great rooms, great facilities, private beach was excellent. One of the best hotels we've ever stayed at.

Absolutely stunning place and not a single negative.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ashp501
Warragul, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed for 7 nights and had the most wonderful time, the staff were, without exception, wonderful and did everything they could to make our stay as perfect as it could be. Our room on the second floor overlooked the beach and the ocean and was clean and comfortable with everything we needed. We ate breakfast there every day and tried most things on the menu, always plenty of fresh fruit and a chef special every day. We also had lunch and dinner in the restaurant on several days, the food was of excellent quality and we could not fault it but a more extensive menu would have been nice. We will definitely go back!

1 Thank Helen M
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Beach Club, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Helen,

All of us at Beach Club were really pleased to read your review of your 7 day honeymoon stay at Beach Club.
I especially appreciate your comments about the service that everyone provided. I’ve also shown this review to the kitchen staff.
We’re looking forward to the two of you coming back!

Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My spouse and I stayed at the Hamilton Island Beach Club for four nights in mid August 2012. Our first choice was Qualia, however, it was sold out, because unbeknownst to us when we chose our travel dates, Hamilton Island was hosting its annual Audi Race Week during our time there. Truth be told, the $900+ per night rate that they were charging at Qualia was probably beyond our reasonable tolerance, too, so at least the decision was taken out of our hands.

The Beach Club has a lounge, where we were led and asked to sit down so that we could register. We were welcomed with a complimentary non-alcoholic drink and canape. The lounge contains attractive seating groupings, as well as a small library (with newspapers) that contains a computer for guest use. We wish that the Beach Club treated their lounge like an executive/club lounge, whereby they offer a happy hour (even if customers buy their own drinks) with some complimentary food items. It would make the guests feel like they were staying somewhere more exclusive. The lounge area is adjacent to the restaurant, which has both indoor and outdoor seating.

Breakfast (included with the room rate) consists of a cold buffet, followed by a hot entrée item ordered a la carte. We thought that the breakfast entrees were creative and nicely presented (and that comment is coming from two people who do not generally eat breakfast at restaurants because it is usually the same boring ingredients laid on a plate in the same boring way). Be careful about the birds stealing your food - they are quite cheeky and will go to any lengths to steal a snack! Very entertaining! The outdoor seating area can be sealed off (the louvered roof can be closed, and the plastic sides can be rolled down in inclement weather. On the Beach Club grounds, smoking is permitted only across the driveway from the reception desk. Guests cannot smoke on their private balcony/patio, which makes sense to some extent. As a non-smoker, you do not want to be outdoors enjoying your private balcony while the guest in the room next to yours is on his balcony smoking; however, by placing the smoking area in front of the building, it ensures that all guests must pass by it every time they enter and leave the hotel, which seems just as bad as the balcony situation.

The front desk is not staffed 24/7, although there is a telephone on the desk where you can call someone for a ride into town on one of the golf carts (or “buggies”). We thought that it might be difficult to catch a buggy ride because we visited during busy Race Week, but it did not seem to be a problem; however, we would generally forgo a ride because we enjoyed the walk to town. Buggy transfers to and from town are complimentary.

The Beach Club’s infinity pool is attractive, although the deck area surrounding it is somewhat small and does not hold too many chairs (perhaps 12 chairs at most, with 6 chairs on each side of the deck). The pool is not fully in-ground, but rather halfway in-ground, where the deck around the pool is built up so that the pool appears raised; you must go up a few steps (4 or 5) to reach the pool deck. The pool area is right in front of the restaurant, so there is not much privacy for either bathers or diners. The beach is wide when the tide is out, and there are lounge chairs and unmovable palapa umbrellas between them. Another hotel’s pool is adjacent to one side of the Beach Club property, and the other end of the property borders the Resort Centre’s pool.

All rooms at the Beach Club are contained in a single two-story building, with the rooms on the second floor connected by a long wooden walkway/catwalk. We requested (and received) a ground-floor room at the end of the building (we believe that our room number ended in -01), which was a quiet location, but did not yield us a larger room or a room with an extra window. Our room was a nice size, with a sofa, bed, nightstands, and wardrobe, but without a desk (they must figure that you are on vacation, not on a business trip!). Our room had a mini-refrigerator, which we filled with our own drinks and snacks that we bought in town at the General Store. Our patio contained a tiny table and two chairs, all with appropriate cushions. The bathroom was large, with a separate shower and soaking tub and dual vanity sinks. The bathroom contains a window that you can open to let the steam out, which is a thoughtful design touch. Our room did not exactly resemble the main photograph online on their website that shows the unique “humpback” chair and matching “humpback” sofa; our sofa was worn and stained and was more of the futon type.

Our room rate at the Beach Club included additional amenities such as non-motorized watercraft use, daily newspaper (which is a misnomer: there are newspapers to read in the lounge, but one is not delivered to your doorstep each morning), and fitness center admission (the island fitness center is located across the street from the hotel near the mini-golf center). No guests under 18 years of age are permitted at the Beach Club, so the atmosphere is rather sedate. The Beach Club can pre-book restaurant reservations and activities for you; restaurant reservations were a necessity during Race Week.

Our stay at the Beach Club was acceptable, but we think we would have been just as happy to stay at the Reef View Hotel as at the Beach Club, thereby saving approximately $200 per night. For nearly $600 per night, the Beach Club is really just is a glorified motel without any truly special amenities.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fluffnfold
Hello fluffnfold,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Beach Club in the form of this detailed review.

I’ll keep your suggestion about the lounge happy hour in mind. I actually already host a drinks nights on Tuesday for all Beach Club guests but we’re always open to ideas to make Beach Club a better experience for guests.

It’s good to hear that you both enjoyed the breakfast. The kitchen team will be happy to hear that feedback.

The feedback we have received from smokers and non-smokers alike has prompted us to build two 'smokers pergolas'. These will be placed in peaceful surrounds away from the main reception area and within the gardens that surround Beach Club. I am sure these will benefit everyone.

I’m really glad to hear that you were pleased with your room and your time at Beach Club was generally enjoyable. I hope that you will come back sometime and give us a chance to turn the 3 star review into a 5 star review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton Island
Qualia Resort
Qualia Resort
#2 of 5 in Hamilton Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,296 reviews

Been to Beach Club? Share your experiences!