“A day worth spending!”

Explore Group - On the Edge Sailing
Ranked #1 of 17 Tours in Hamilton Island
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: An exhilarating sailing experience aboard On the Edge, our custom designed sailing catamaran; designed specifically for sailing adventures throughout the Whitsunday Islands. On the Edge operates full & half day tours, as well as evening sunset cruises departing from Hamilton Island.
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Ivemade some great experience with cruise indigo I'd love to share. I have been on the day cruise to white haven beach and snorkelling. After welcoming us and a short introduction the crew were handing out pills against motion sickness. I did not have one of them, because I thought I could handle it. It was a rather rough day at the sea, which unfortunately made few of us feel sick after a while. However the team was very helpful, understanding and patient with me always reaussuring my state of health. First we stopped for snorkelling. Before tea, coffee with biscuits could be consumed. The kit and stinger suits was provided and explained fully and entertaining. I saw the incredible riff, felt secure the entire time that time flew and the hour was up to hop on back on board. Now we had lunch, which was crepes filled with whatever you choose from. It was very yummi and just the right meal at such a hot day, after swimming in the sea. From there we continued to white haven beach, where I do not get into details of its beauty. We could swim to the beach from the boat or been taken by a smaller motorboat. They had drink for sale at the beach and even beach games. The drinks they sold also onboard had very reasonable prices and were cooled. After our time at the beach was up we returned to Hamilton island.On the way, we were offered cocktails and mocktails and also there was fruits for everyone. The crew, consisting of 4 men (including incredibly proffesional very young man)were very friendly at all times and you could feel that them working together, they are a great team and work in harmony. Of course, we also had very relaxed co-travellers onboard which enhanced the great experience.
All in all, this is also a way of saying thank you, for the wonderful day you have given us and I could only warmly recommend it to everyone to invest the time and money into such an awesome day!

There are newer reviews for Explore Group - On the Edge Sailing

Reviewed December 9, 2012

My family and I (2 adults in mid fifties, a 21 year old and a 16 year old) took the full-day cruise in early December 2012 and I have to say, it was fantastic! We were a bit unlucky in that weather conditions resulted in us having to go to a different snorkelling place than Chalkies beach and having to do a 45min bushwalk from Chance Bay to Whitehaven Beach, but the skipper was honest about the conditions before we even got on the boat, and gave us every opportunity to switch our cruise for another day. We deicided to go anyway, and we didn't regret it! The snorkelling spot was nice, not the best I've ever snorkelled at, but still very pretty and a typical exemplar of the Great Barrier Reef. We even saw a turtle :D The walk to Whitehaven through bushland was a bit gruelling considering we were in swimmers and thongs, but the crew can't help the weather, and Chance Bay was lovely in itself. We had the whole thing to ourselves.

One of the benefits of this cruise is that it's capped at 57 people, so unlike other cruises where you have to share the experience with 300 others, it's nice and quiet. The boat is large and has plenty of room to move around, including a shaded area if you want to be out of the sun, and my favourite, two large nets at the front where you can watch the beautiful water below you and feel the spray.

The crew was generally friendly and professional, though they didn't have much time to talk. All snorkelling gear and stinger suits came with the fee, as did morning tea, afternoon tea and lunch. Morning and afternoon tea was nothing really special: morning tea was just coffee, tea, biscuits and little muffins, and afternoon tea was just cut up fruit. However, lunch was fantastic, including make-your-own wrap/roll and beautiful QLD prawns. As other reviewers have mentioned, soft drinks and alcohol have to be purchased, though it's fairly reasonable for the Whitsundays. About $3 for a can of soft drink, and a cocktail was offered in the afternoon for $13.

The crew really tried to make you feel welcome on the boat. We were able to jump off it and swim to the snorkelling spot and the beach, while they ferried our things in a tender, though they'd also tender people out if you preffered. While at the beach, we had heaps of fun doing crazy jumps off the side and then swimming back around to do it all again. It was fantastic.

The only two let-downs of an otherwise fantastic day was that the free water they provided ran out around midday, four hours before the end of the cruise. We all had 600ml water bottles, but we'd finished them by them. I'd recommend each person taking their own 1L water bottle, plus an extra two. You get THIRSTY, and while you can buy water bottles from them, that can get pricey. The other let-down was the cocktail: I found it to have a very odd taste and it was very thick. I didn't enjoy it that much, though that could be personal taste.

But on a whole, this cruise was fantastic, and I'd reccomend it to anyone. It was well worth the price.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We did the Chalkie's Bay / Whitehaven snorkel and beach combo. The company was great to work with and the staff were really quite friendly. I, like previous commented noted, found it a little ridiculous that they charged for drinks when you're paying a pretty good fare already. The snorkeling was decent - not the best I've had but good - and Whitehaven Beach is quite pretty. Note that on this tour, you stop on the south end of Whitehaven, so if you want to see Hill's Inlet (the swirling blue and sand that occurs from the tides), you'll need to do a different trip to Whitehaven (I think just their beach trip goes to the north side where you can hike up and see Hill's Inlet). All in all it was a fun day, but they're docked a star for charging for drinks when you already pay $150+ a person just to go on the tour.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We were on our Honeymoon and were both really excited to travel to Whitehaven Beach on the 'On The Edge' catamaran. We went on the half day tour, departed at 11am and arrived back by 4pm; enough time for a sleep in and still have time in the late afternoon.
The Catamaran is fantastic, it is is exceptionally clean, absolutely massive and the service was outstanding. We were offered drinks as soon as we left and weren't left thirsty at anytime of the day, cocktails were even available for the journey home. A healthy lunch was provided and there was plenty to go around and an afternoon tea of fruit was offered on the way home. A speedboat was available to those that didn't want to swim the short distance to the beach once we had anchored, or for the adventurous ones, we jumped off the side of the boat swam to shore while the speedboat ferried our bags and cameras - what service!
We had perfect weather, a smooth and relaxing cruise to the most beautiful beach in Australia and a really fun last day on Hamilton Island. Can't wait to come back!

Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We went on a full day tour which consisted of lunch, snorkeling at chalkies beach and swimming at Whitehaven beach.

These guys are incredibly friendly, professional and more importantly very experienced. If weather conditions dont suit the activity at a particular time of day, they're onto it immediately and have alternative contingencies in place.

The catamaran is spacious, clean and very well maintained. I guess you could even say that it was luxurious! Morning and afternoon tea is provided. Lunch is great and they cater for you to go back for seconds (even thirds if you need - the captain said "eat till you're full). snacks and alcoholic beverages are also on deck for purchase.

The groups on board are a reasonable size, we had approximately 20 passengers including some young
children. (personally I think that by having a certain number of passengers enables any tour operator to focus and cater to their clients).

The crew have a great work ethic and my partner and I were sad to leave.

A very big thank you to Ben, Stewart and Yve. We had a fantastic day and certainly a day that we will remember in years to come.

I strongly reccommend this organisation!!!