“Good for a day or two. Overpriced, but everything is in Whitsundays”

Daydream Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daydream Island
Reviewed August 26, 2014

If you are looking to spend a week in the Whitsundays, you should probably opt for Hamilton Island for most of that week, simply because you will run out of things to do on DDI if you stay more than a couple of days. Make sure you snorkel and watch the sunset at Lover's Cove--the colorful fish there are abundant and the coral is lovely. Wander the island a bit so you can get some awesome views and photos of the tame-ish wallabies and their joeys going about their days. Take advantage of the free kayaks and catamarans in the mornings, too.

I don't think the decor is outdated as much as it is more suited for children than adults. The bright colors and large plastic fish hanging from the ceilings are seemingly off-putting for some, but I thought it was kind of cute and island-y. There is plenty of seating next to the living reef in the lobby, which was nice when we wanted to just kick back and have a drink in between comings and goings. We didn't get to see any rays while snorkeling, so it was cool to be able to see them up close at the resort itself.

We found the staff to be quite amiable. Perhaps it was because we did actually stay for the whole week at DDI, so we kind of got to know a few of the staff, but I thought they were all very friendly. Every time we saw an employee in passing, he/she would always greet us and ask us about our day.

Now, while most of our stay was lovely, we did encounter a few cons along the way.

Having read reviews prior to our stay, I was expecting the service at Mermaids to be slow, but I didn't think it would be as slow as it was. It took almost 90 minutes for me to get a rare-cooked steak. I was sympathetic, though, because the restaurant was at maximum capacity, and the minimal staff were doing their best. But seriously, higher-ups, get some more people in there to help out! I understand that it is the off-season, but when you only have two restaurants open nightly, you're always going to be busy. Get some more wait staff and cooks in there to help those folks out! While it did take a long time to be served our dinner at Mermaids, I have to admit that it was the best steak I have ever had in my life.

We primarily dined at the Waterfalls restaurant, just because we like options (and pigging out) on vacation. The selection was more limited than advertised, unfortunately, but what was available was very, very good. Most of the nights we dined there weren't very busy, so it was frustrating when our water glasses were never refilled, despite my asking two different waitresses for more water. They were seemingly more worried about getting the alcohol orders, as they took orders from and served many tables after my request to both of them. Eventually, 20 minutes later, I just filled my husband's and my glasses with soft drink instead, which should be included with dinner, honestly. When the dinner itself is almost $50 a person, and getting a second tiny glass of water from the wait staff is practically impossible, the soft drinks shouldn't cost anything in addition to the dinner.

And yes, everything is very expensive, but we were expecting as much when we went there, so we tried to prepare accordingly so we could splurge at meals. We drank a lot of water (since the sodas are $4 a can). I also recommend packing a bag of snacks and taking it with you. If not, you could seriously end up spending over $100 just on small snacks alone. You get a 10% off your purchase coupon for Ginger's Boutique when your arrive. If you do plan on buying any of the expensive souvenirs (e.g. $25 for a toddler t-shirt...), use that coupon and buy them all at once.

Stay away from the game room. Many of the games are broken, and the ones that do work are expensive, old, and not much fun. Get some new games in there, DDI. Seriously. Invest in some newer and funner ones. With the number of kids (and kids at heart, like yours truly), you have visiting the island, they would definitely get played often.

Overall, we did have a positive experience. Plan ahead, and dine at the cheaper restaurants when they are available. Don't miss Lover's Cove at sunset. Wear good walking shoes when doing the rainforest walk. Skip the cart on the boardwalk, and walk with your loved one(s) and enjoy the views. Take a hoodie and blanket on the movie nights (it gets cold). Thank you for the good time, DDI.

Room Tip: Go for any of the rooms facing the water. Any facing Lover's Cove would probably have the best v...
2  Thank Nicole N
Write a ReviewReviews (2,010)

Reviewed August 26, 2014

If your after a sandy beach don't come here, the beaches are all dead coral. The hotel is very outdated, certainly nothing to rave about. And the clincher is horrendous customer service, and very unfriendly and unhelpful staff. After getting off the boat we were greeted by a Manager who advised if we booked a tour on the day of check out they could organise a late check out. So we booked a tour that had us arriving back on the island at 12pm, turns out no they wouldn't do a late check out, we had to shower in the transit lounge which was disgustingly dirty had all mould in the shower and was filthy. Next impression we head to the bar near the pool, the bar attendant was so rude, he barely took our drinks order, and ignored us. The service at mermaids restaurant the wait staff we're rude and slow. Had to ask 2 to get a glass of water, it took 55mins to get 1/2 dozen oysters, which was crazy. Went to the buffet the next night for dinner, and the fact there wasn't the food provided that was advertised, after 45mins we each had 2 plates on our table and waited and waited for our table to be cleared but nope, my partner had to get up to try and find a waitress to ask for our table to be cleared so we could have desert. The restricted hours when you can eat is very inconvenient, if you don't feel like lunch by 2.30pm than your out of luck buying food anywhere on the island, you have to wait to dinner time. When a complaint was made to the manager, he simply said it was higher ups decision and there was nothing he could do. No apology, no compensation nothing at all. I found this to be a terrible reflection of Australian tourism, and to the whitsundays. I would not recommend this resort at all. Really disappointing.

1  Thank Rachel G
DaydreamIsland, Guest Relations Manager at Daydream Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2014

Dear Rachel G,

We value your feedback regarding your time in the resort.

I am sorry to hear you weren’t content with the beaches we have on offer here on the island. The coral formation is one that is very unique to us here on Daydream and we are particularly proud of the individuality it provides us. We can understand that the coral may not best suit sunbathers due to its texture this is why we have lined our beaches with banana lounges to accommodate our guests and provide them with an opportunity to soak in the sun and whether.

Here at Daydream Island it is paramount to us that we provide the best customer service to every single person while they’re here in the resort. If you feel as though you have not received that level of service you have my deepest apologies. I can assure you that all of my staff & colleagues have one common goal and that is to create the most enjoyable experience possible for our guests.

I am sorry to hear about the miss communication between your Guest Liaison on arrival and the reception team member you spoke with regarding an extension of your check out time while on tour. We will always endeavour to do everything we can to cater to our guests movements both while with us and when departing. We do offer a late check out option, but as is the case in any hotel we do need to apply a charge after a certain time. Luggage storage is also an option should it better suit your needs. As you have mentioned we do have services available to allow guests to freshen up after a day trip, if you didn’t feel the standard of cleanliness was adequate then that is something I will be taking to the appropriate people as the presentation of the resort is an area we take very seriously here at Daydream.

We also believe in delivering what we promise. I am very surprised to hear you express that you felt you did not receive menu items which were advertised in one of our restaurants. I can assure you I will be looking into the matter further to identify what may have occurred.

As is the case with any buffet style restaurant you may visit, our staff will make a constant effort to cater to all patrons dining, clearing plates is something that will be done more at random than in an ala carte style restaurant so as not to disturb guests during there dinner.

To provide for the needs of all our guests coming and going throughout the day we try to keep a good meal available at all times. Once Mermaids restaurant finishes up lunch service at 2:30pm we have our Splashes bar serving light meals, as well as the Boathouse Bakery offering food options all day and we encourage our guests to visit these spots outside of the regular service periods.

We prize all response from our guests and treat any grievance as our highest priority.

Warmest regards,

Joshua Smith
Guest Service Manager
Daydream Island Resort & Spa

Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

Our time on the island just flew by. So many activities to do. Highly recommend the stingray splash! Wonderful views and restaurants. Staff were very helpful and welcoming. Love the mocktail and necklace on arrival. Pizza and pasta night was great.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Tammy H,

Thank you so much for your accolades and we are delighted you enjoyed experience on Daydream Island.

We are exceedingly fortunate to be surrounded by the setting which we are and it is an absolute joy to be able to share it with our guests each day.

I am pleased to hear you took the opportunity to participate in our Stingray Splash tour. It is such a rare occasion to be able to interact with these beautiful creatures and it excites me to think we can provide that to the people who come to visit us here on the island.

The arrival necklace and mocktail is something of a tradition here on Daydream and I am glad it is so well received by our patrons.

We hope you will come to see us again soon.

Warmest regards,

Joshua Smith
Guest Service Manager
Daydream Island Resort & Spa

Reviewed August 25, 2014

Let me start by saying that if I were to look up the meaning of customer service in a dictionary I'd find Grant's name there. My husband and I visited daydream as a quick and affordable get away before our first baby arrives (our babymoon). Putting my pregnancy aside, I already had a high dietary requirement; Grant went over and above his job description to ensure we were well fed! So we cannot be more grateful for how lovely and accommodating he has been. If anyone looking to visit the island has any issues/questions/ enquirers he is the man to see!

In regards to the review of the rest of our stay; you have to go prepared. Daydream Island is privately owned which means it is quite dear. We were aware of this and avoided a high payment at check out by ensuring we brought our own snacks. We are originally from Sydney anyway so travelling with some snacks was not a problem.

1  Thank Feryal A
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We found the staff to be quite rude. We found the level of professionalism of the staff to be quite low in how they communicated and presented themselves around the resort. With the Aussies all you can eat BBQ dinner they make you pay first before you enter. They falsely advertised on a large sign prawns and rib eye steak being there signature dishes, turns out there was no prawn and when we asked for them the reply was we forgot to take them off the menu, the rib eye was replaced with sirloin steak just a bit of a difference there. There were an additional 5 items on the listed menu but were not available on the night. We complained to the manager who stated he was told by higher up there was nothing he could do. For a resort in the whitsudays and a statement like that from a manager was absolutely pathetic. This was one instance of several bad experiences with staff we had over a 2 day period. I certainly wouldn't recommend this resort. The staff ruin it, which is a shame.

• Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank Internationaltrave
Reviewed August 22, 2014

it seems that the stars given to hospitality places are subjects to the size of the mini bar and the speed to get it refilled, this place is looking as you emmerge from a black hole in a suspended state, and back on time from the 50s, gorgeous flea market furniture which gave the all place a charm of a morgue, very old, ,YOU CAN CALL IT THE LAST RESORT
expensive, no value and i was surprised to not get a black and white tv in my room
forget it

Room Tip: want a good room? go somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank air198
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Having very limited time on our drive through from Brisbane to Cairns seeing family, we stopped off for 24 hours at Daydream. It was everything we remembered from our previous trip 12 year earlier and more. Don't hesitate to pack it in if you have limited time. The ferry across, sun set kayaking and magical evening meal (kids had takeaway pizza and we had our first adult sit down meal of the trip) followed by next day reef ranger experience feeding stingray and holding/kissing a shark then jet skiing! All in all a fantastic 24 hours which we really should have planned to stay longer. It was my 50th birthday treat (whole holiday) and daydream organised a bottle of free bubbly in the room with a card. Great welcome. Fantastic visit. Highly recommended. Greg the waiter was excellent & Louise the marine biologist was very patient as we screamed feeding the sting ray. 24 hours of heaven! See you in 3 years for my toy-boy husbands 50th!!!!

Room Tip: We had a family suite - 2 double beds in one room and kingsize + pulldown in second room - really go...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
Beach Club
Beach Club
#2 of 5 in Hamilton Island

Been to Daydream Island Resort? Share your experiences!