“It's a island! It's not going to be cheap. Relax”

Daydream Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daydream Island
Melbourne
“It's a island! It's not going to be cheap. Relax”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

We live six months in Melbourne and six months Airlie beach. I have been over to day dream lots of time just for a day trip with girl friends. It is a island that I think is great for young family's but with saying that I would think kids up to young teens.
This was the first time that we had stayed over night on the island.
We had family over from England so we got a standby rate room which has just got up to $125 per person.
That is your room, tranfer to the island , use of the water sport stuff and breakfast. Pretty good for your money I think.
We did take water etc with us.
It is a island they have you there, you have to buy from them.
The rooms are big. Our had a queen bed , sofa and chairs.
My father inlaw and his sister had two queen size plus a little sofa, so you can see how big the rooms are.
Nice and clean.
It is getting a bit old but still well maintain I think.
We are too spoil over here and with our aunty coming from England loved it.
The wild life just roaming around and she was able to go up to them all. She just loved it all.
Do not come here if you want a budget holiday. Go any where in the world an NO island is going to be cheap.
We loved our 1 night and send photos back to our son how is looking at getting married on one of the island next year.
We have spoke to friends here and we are all going over for a 2 night break in June.
Our age group 40-52 some have young kids from 2-12.

Room Tip: Take water and any snacks you want. You will save $$$$
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Marilyn S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

I returned to this island and found everything was as it was last time. It was fantastic. The staff are great and nothing is too hard for them. I dined in both restaurants and was impressed with the food. It was presented so well and tasted awesome.
Staff always had a smile on their faces and were only too willing to assist. I managed to do some of the activities but ran out of time.
Gardens and presentation are amazing. So clean and tidy.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank rene008
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is our honest and unbiased review of this property for all travelers wishing to visit the great Withsunday islands.
This hotel is overpriced, overrated, and practically, it's a joke. It's tired and badly needs a renovation and most importantly, a reality check for what they charge for rooms, food and drinks. This is a day light robbery!
We know that management will give you a well rounded corporate spiel that has no common sense, but you do not need to spend couple of thousands to get disappointed once you get there.
Location wise, Whitsunday islands are magnificent holiday spot needed to be visited, but this hotel does not add any value to that cause.

5 Thank Makwi

Travelers are raving about these Daydream Island hotels

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

Thank you to Warren and his fantastic team on Daydream Island for a wonderful visit.

The resort was clean & tidy (not a spec of rubbish in site) and we found the service to be outstanding in all aspects of the resort.

The rooms were in pristine condition and I just loved how colourful and different the resort is. It has personality and passionate staff to match.

Whilst dining, I found the resort staff to be informative, friendly and genuinely helpful.

Thank you again for a magnificent stay, and I will be recommending the resort to all of my friends and family!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Ashleigh L
Tasmania, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

This is without exception the worst holiday resort in terms of service I have ever been too. Whilst some of the staff are lovely and really try clearly the management of the hotel have allot to learn.

On the island we asked for a wine which was served in a plastic cup. No issues with this around the pool however when paying top dollar a plastic wine glass would be great. Excuse from the bar tender who served me was the cheap wine would not fit in the wine glass provided.

Solution, get a different plastic wine glass, rather than wine in a schooner glass.

No tea spoons with breakfast and when asked for one the backpacker dressed in an Hawaiian shirt who was serving me she produced one from a dirty tray. Plucked this out in front of me. Gave it back to her and explained that I would like a clean one.

The manager who runs mermaids restaurant treated us like it was an issue to eat there. Booked out with 50% of tables free. Told us to keep up with the waiter when we were seated like it was a spaghetti eating comp. To the credit of the staff around her they did a great job.

Resort a top spot but the management of the island should take a good look at what is happening there. Talked to a number of guests who felt exactly the same way, just small things which are just not acceptable in any hospitality venue in 2014.

Great place for the kids such a shame it run like a scout camp.

Reef view hotel on Hamilton head and shoulder above this shambles.

Wonder if the owner knows what's going on as this is just small stuff that ruins it.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank Nick S
DaydreamIsland, Guest Relations Manager at Daydream Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Nick s

Thank you taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay with us on Daydream Island, and thank you once again for taking the time to speak directly with myself over the phone on the day of your departure. It is disappointing that I did not get the opportunity to address the issues regarding your stay while you were on the Island but as discussed I have passed your feedback on directly to the resorts General Manager and our management team.
As you pointed out unfortunately we do need to serve all drinks around the poolside in plastic glasses or in a can version for the safety of all guests.

It is unfortunate that a number of small negative experiences have snowballed into a an overall bad experience and memory of the Island and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Daydream in the future as we believe you will have a positive experience.

Kind Regards
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

This is the 5th time we have stayed here over the last 12 years and have unfortunately seen it decline with each visit. This stay has been one week. Although we got married here 10 years ago and it's been very special to us, this is the last time we'll come again unless a decent hotel chain purchases it and does a complete overhaul. We were so very disappointed this time around and unfortunately wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
1. No takeaway or room service available so you are forced to dine at a very overpriced buffet with food that isn't even up to RSL club standards, or another restaurant where the food and service is just terrible. If you are someone who appreciates even a half decent meal this is not the holiday destination for you. If you are even remotely into healthy eating this isn't the place for you as there is a huge lack of fresh fruit and vegetables across the island. Everything seems to be deep fried, out of a tin or processed. White bread, white pasta, white rice and all breakfast cereals based on wheat except the cornflakes. No vegetables on the buffet for the entire week except potatoes, and any salads were mostly pasta salad, potato salad and rice salad rather than fresh leafy garden salads.
The breakfast buffet had two pancake machines which both continued to malfunction several times throughout each morning with numerous frustrated guests standing around. There was always empty containers needing to be refilled and no cutlery to be found. On the positive, the maître de always remembered everyone's names. He appeared to be the only waitstaff on the island with any experience and was a lovely gentleman.
2. The waitstaff service is also terrible, which can only be attributed to the very high turnover of unskilled staff with no experience in the relevant fields. Our plates remained dirty and uncleared in front of us each night until we had paid the bill and left the restaurant, whilst staff were meanwhile clearing dirty plates from empty tables around us from previous patrons who had already left the restaurant. One night our mains were even brought out whilst we were still eating our entrees!!!
3. Whilst the rooms were relatively clean and quite nice, room service always failed to provide us with hand towels or washers so our guess is that the linen is in low supply. We were missing essential items from our room like a bath and sink plug, little things that are inconvenient when you need them. Mini bar was topped up at random and the ice machine was broken in our wing, so we had to go all the way down to the bar if we needed ice.
4. If you have children this island does not cater well for them at all. There is a kids club but you cannot take your child there just to play unless you drop them off and pay for the full morning or afternoon. $50 morning and $45 afternoon ($95/day) or $30/hr babysitting. They have an outdoor cinema, which is great, however the movies during our stay were mostly very unsuitable for children. The pools were so freezing it wasn't the place to spend the day floating about.
5. The day spa sounded so appealing we couldn't wait to go but I paid $190 for a facial and was so disappointed with the experience. It was honestly the worst facial I've ever had. Sorry but that's just being honest. I think my husband could have done a better job on me. My husband had a massage which was supposed to be deep tissue and he was so disappointed that I then cancelled my booking.
6. Whilst the staff were friendly and very nice people we gained rapport with a number of them who told us that they have very high turnover of staff, usually only staying 3 months at a time, and lots if foreigners and backpackers on working holiday visas. It appeared that from speaking to the staff they get rotated through different positions, one lady had started as the photographer, was then waitstaff and now working in the day spa. The lack of expertise and competency of a number of staff really demonstrated they had none or very little previous experience in the areas they were working in.
7. On the upside, the location is beautiful and the weather couldn't have been better.
8. We attended a wedding on the island at Sunlovers Cove which was just a magical setting... and aside from the food being very average for a wedding (although I'm sure they paid a premium package), it was just a beautiful night and decorated very well in a gorgeous setting.
I'm really not one to complain normally, but I think it's important for people who are planning a holiday to know what they're in for if they choose to stay here. I'd hate to see a family save their money to come away on a yearly holiday and be really disappointed. The Whitsunday's are a great location but I would definitely choose another island and a different resort.

8 Thank Leanne W
Dear Leanne W

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us on Daydream Island.
It is disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your stay on the island as you have your past 4 visits with us. It is especially important we hear from our return guest so that we can continually improve our guest service and the resort facility and unfortunately it seems that on this particular occasion we have let you down.

With regard to your comments on food quality Daydream Island and our food & beverage team receive many wonderful comments and in particular from our wedding guest, and overall the vast majority of people have their expectations exceeded in terms of our food. Unfortunately we have never offered room service on the island and the majority of our guests when we have provided a takeaway menu have opted to dine in our outlets. I was pleased to read however that a particular staff member did make a positive impact on your as all of our staff do pride themselves on their guest service.

I note that you mention that the ice machines were not working in your wing; Ice is only available from the bars as we unfortunately do not provide ice machines though out the resort.

Due to security and parents piece of mind our guest that choose to use our child care facilities they are closed to the public so that we may restrict access to the area only to our qualified child care facilitators. We do however provide a giant outdoor jungle gym on the southern side of the island for the use of all guests at their leisure.

As would have been the case with your previous stays with us unfortunately for 95% of the year our pools there are no need to heat our pools, unfortunately the beginning of May the temperature though out the Whitsundays has been cooler than normal.

We appreciate your feedback and and please restasured that your feedback has been distributed to the appropriate departments for follow up. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Daydream in the future as we believe you will have a positive experience as has been the case with your previous stays.

Kind Regards,
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

Really disappointed!!

1. I would have thought the pools would be heated for cooler months!! No where for toddlers to play with out paying for baby sitting (I don't want my child in care!! She goes to care when I work so I wanted to enjoy our time together!!)

2. No room service & no where to get takeaway!! After a long day out on a cruise to Whitehaven Beach we had no choice but to drag our 21 month old to the buffet when she was tired & cranky!! Our 1st day here after flying & traveling on the ferry to get here no food available until 5:30pm!! I'm pregnant & I would have thought getting something to eat on arrival would be an easy option!!

3. Our room was right outside the pool smoking area!! Not able to open our doors for fresh air AT ALL!!

Save your money & find a more young family friendly place!! Still here now & feel like I'm STUCK here until our trip home on Friday!! First holiday where I can't wait to go home!! So disappointed!!

6 Thank Jacinta M
Dear Jacinta M

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us on Daydream Island Resort and Spa. Unfortunately I did not get the opportunity to meet with you directly but it was a pleasure to sit down and discuss your families concerns with your partner and I hope that your daughter enjoyed the Daydream bear I sent down to the restaurant for her.

As mentioned to your husband due to security and parents piece of mind our guest that choose to use our child care facilities they are closed to the public so that we may restrict access to the area only to our qualified child care facilitators, and I believe during your stay while there were no children in the facility that our manager allowed access for you so your daughter could enjoy the play equipment.

Unfortunately you are correct and we do not offer room service in the resort we do however offer takeaway from the fishbowl tavern when open and our food and beverage management are also more than willing to accommodate guest request were possible.

Once again I would like to thank you both for your feedback regarding your experience. We do hope that you provide us with the opportunity to welcome you back to Daydream in the very near future.

Kind Regards,
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
One&Only Hayman Island
One&Only Hayman Island
#1 of 1 in Hayman Island

Been to Daydream Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!