“Nice place, good service rooms are old overall it's overpriced ”

Daydream Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daydream Island
“Nice place, good service rooms are old overall it's overpriced ”
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

We just came back from being on daydream, we've visited it in 2007
We arrived by ferry.

Overall we were happy with service but disappointed with the rooms and prices.

Good:

Well maintained pools, facilities and overall decoration.

Good breakfast buffet (included in our deal) I remember the selection of fresh fruits used to be much better though.

Good welcoming staff. Absolutely brilliant entertainment at night (2 man guitar band)

Bad:
Overall way too overpriced.
Dinner dishes portions were minute and pricy average taste.
Rooms and bathrooms were clean but require major renovations to make them modern.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We are spending a couple of days here. What a beautiful spot plenty of swimming pools and a great swim up. Bar. The cocktails are nice and not too dear. They have a beautiful living reef around the main building with sharks,stingrays,and many different fish. The food is great but the mermaid restaurant was the best.it is a little dear to stay but it's worth it.

Room Tip: The room we had was great but all seem good
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
southern hemisphere
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Daydream Island is lovely: overall, we had a most enjoyable time there. And I was particularly appreciative of the assistance given by the nursing staff to a problem I encountered.

BUT we were badly let down by the food services which they claim "Lovers of food and wine ... will savour [and] remember long after [the] holiday has ended"

Worst of our experiences was a fish and chips meal we had one evening at Fishbowl Tavern - without a doubt one of the worst meals we've ever had.

Hot breakfast dishes in Waterfalls was rarely warm, frequently cold and almost never hot. Almost all meals at Waterfalls were accompanied by often loud vocal music; we realise that some people like that type of music: but all the time? It would have been great to sit in the quiet just enjoying the sound and sight of falling water!

Mermaids had some reasonable dishes, but none could be described as "mouthwatering" as do the resort lift signs. I guess it might be describable as a "unique culinary experience", but that is not necessarily a compliment!

The Boathouse Bakery has an impressive display of "plastic bread" which I assumed indicated the range of breads sold. But no, the best that could be offered was a rather unappealing white or wholemeal sandwich loaf sliced.

Daydream has, of course, a captive clientele there; but I reckon it'd leave with a far better impression if there was a marked improvement in this side of the business.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank doorrag
Sunshine Coast
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Early September saw my husband and I @ Daydream Island. From arrival to departure, the service, the staff, the restaurants, spas and swimming pools,was superb....the total resort was yours for your stay, which was a great relax and unwind from a very busy schedule at home. I would take up too much space in this review to tell you everything, but it was fantastically fabulous. Loved riding the buggies late @ night after the "under the stars" movies. We loved seeing the weddings every day, the wildlife is fascinating and beautiful, the buffet breakfast every morning....just everything was so so great and we would recommend the beautiful atmosphere of the resort to everyone. Next time we visit, we will do the things we didn't have time to do this time.
Cheers!
Ruth

Room Tip: Second floor balcony room - good view over the sea and launches coming and going, the cockatoos on t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Ruth J
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Check-in was done at the airport before the boat transfer to the Island - bags were already in our Balcony Ocean View room on arrival. What a view from the third floor - each morning I would open the curtains before sunrise so as to watch the view from a very comfortable bed- heaven! Enjoyed the snorkeling at Lover's Cove and the Rainforest walk had some spectacular views. Staff were lovely and friendly and keen to make sure everything was fine with us. The day trip out to the reef was worthwhile. My teenage daughter and I enjoyed the outdoor cinema and the stroll from our accommodation to the southern end of the island was a pleasant pastime. The Whitehaven Beach 1/2 day tour was a beautiful place to swim - I did regret that I didn't book for the full day tour so as to also get in a bit of snorkeling that wasn't possible to do on the 1/2 day trip. We also made use of the gym, spa, putt putt golf and chess. My teenage daughter said she thoroughly enjoyed the holiday - I certainly did.

Room Tip: Ocean Balcony View room on the 3rd floor was just right
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 169Maggie
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Friendly staff, delicious food, great location for a family or romantic holiday. Island offers a range of activities on and off the Island. Really enjoyed our holiday at Daydream Island. Recommend highly!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Bekrawlinson
cairns
Reviewed October 2, 2013

First of all I would like to say that this is the 2nd time that I have completed this review, the first time I submitted it was put to a pending status and then completely deleted!! Slightly disappointed. Also, I would like to mention that I emailed all of the below points to the DayDream Island team with the response that I would hear back with them with in 7 business days (3 weeks ago) and still no response.

We stayed there in September, for a 3 nights. We were there for a wedding. We only stayed there because there was no options to stay anywhere else.

1. The room was clean, but outdated. The aircon didnt work very well, and due to not having screens on the door you are forced to close the glass doors closed 24/7 to keep the cockatoos out. Imagine if guests could keep the doors open with screens to let in the lovely ocean breezes, how much could be saved by not running the airconditioners 24/7.

2. The mini bar, although it was a good selection - there was an open can of coke in there, and 4 or 5 items were out of date. Its lovely to think that the cleaners attention to detail did not exist. Imagine all the other things that were done half a***ed that we did not pick up on (like the mould in the bathroom)

3. Food was fine dining prices, but no value or quality for money. I dont mind paying good money for food but I walked feeling dissatisfied and hungry. We ate at Mermaids the first night. Nice food, small meals, over priced. On the 3rd night we ate at Waterfalls, and it was the carvery buffet. For $50 per head, I would have expected kitchen made foods not pre-prepared items. I walked away with a salt over load and spent the rest of the night being sick. In comparison, on the way home we stopped at Townsville and had a seafood buffet at the Townsville Casino , for $34.00 and everything was 5 star and fresh.

4. Bottle of water $8 (enough said) - I might as well have just purchased a beer and spent the whole weekend drunk. Well done. Great responsible service of alcohol.

5. Would like to leave a compliment for Linzi at the Spa. She was amazing. She made having our make up done before the wedding one of the best experiences we had all weekend.

6. Alcohol prices were average in comparison to mainland prices for some things and slightly more for others. Not a huge issue, but not being able to BYO so that you could enjoy a wine or beer in the privacy of your own room, it makes things a little unreasonable!!

7. Found some of the staff a very unhelpful , we were there with a group of about 80 people, and the wedding I assume was not very cheap either, for a group this large I Imagined that there would be a little bit more of the "can do" attitude for the at least $80 thousand dollars we most likely pumped through the resort (rooms/room and bar tabs/meals) for the weekend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Palm Bungalows
Palm Bungalows
#4 of 5 in Hamilton Island
Heart Hotel and Gallery Whitsundays

Been to Daydream Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!