“Love, Love, Love Day Dream Island!”

Daydream Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daydream Island
Sunshine Coast
“Love, Love, Love Day Dream Island!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Had the best 5 nghts ever! Staff very friendly, food lovely, resort very clean & well kept. So much to do if you choose, or just relax. We did the sunset cruise, jetski tour, movie, kayaked. Boat to the reef, snorkled, great lunch & helicopter back to Hamilton Island then back to Day Dream. I highly recommend this fantastic little Island with the BIG personality to all ages. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank LeisaSunshineCoast

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Now I understand most of the mixed reviews of this resort on TripAdvisor. Your enjoyment depends on your circumstances to an extent. Yes, there are some "bogans" but the majority of people are just regular holiday makers. I think that the hotel is aimed at couples with 5-13 year old children. Kids have quite a lot of entertainment options, especially if the weather is good. I would avoid this resort if you are single or if you are looking for a romantic non-children getaway. The resort itself is nice enough but is quite tacky in its colour scheme and decorations. I stayed in the Coral Ocean Balcony room and it was a pretty standard hotel room with an excellent view. The hallways are noisy but getting a room on a higher floor minimises this. The food options are limited, especially if you are vegetarian but the prices seem reasonable for island food. The restaurant "Mermaids" was high twenties to mid thirties for a main. Just make sure you book your table each morning as they do book out frequently. The seafood night at "Waterfalls" is quite good value - just have a light lunch because you will need room for all the prawns, bugs, oysters, crab and other hot seafood meals. I would also suggest bringing some snacks from the mainland as the little shop onsite is VERY expensive. Finally, it is quite cool in July and they don't heat the pools so I would aim to stay here in late spring, summer, or early Autumn only.

Room Tip: Coral Ocean Balcony rooms and Ocean Balcony rooms have great views. Higher levels seem to be quieter...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PatAU
Coolum Beach, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Ok the weather was poor,even a mediocre resort such as this looks better with bright sunshine. Everything expensive, $15.00 bottle of wine is $37.00 on the island. Accommodation adequate but tired as are the grounds. Very little to do, and they even charge $10 for mini-golf, hardly anything is inclusive. Activities limited, sign up for the two out of six remaining Hoby catermerans early for the remotest chance of a turn. Jet skis $200/ hour. A family feed requires a 1 km walk, buggies run infrequently, as Mermaids on the north end has a poor a la carte menu that's priced out of reach for most. The resort places their own price sticker over the top of the outsourced activities so they can rip even more out of the deal. The pools are freezing, even my robust kids and my middle age spread were no match for the arctic waters-bring a wet suit. Cynical management pull the last cent out of everything. Family Bingo one evening bought the resort in over a grand with only $100 in prizes being handed back to the punters, just rude. You may have guessed I'm over it, I promised my wife a proper holiday as compensation. By the way the whole island is licensed so be prepared to pay through the nose for grog whilst held captive by these pirates until your eventual escape.
The kids and I loved the fish feeding and reef ranger tour within the resort, but in no way could offset the negatives.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, anywhere else.
6 Thank Julian13-07-2013

Travelers are raving about these Daydream Island hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

You get a kitchy, warm, fun welcome when you step off the boat at Daydream. You also get a really great family protrait for free. We just loved ours. It was a fantastic welcome.

The resort lobby is fun, colourful, family fun. It's not Daydream's fault the weather's crap in July. But when you consider the cost is the same as Hamilton Island, without the Hamilton freebies such as free kids meals and free ferry transfers, the accommodation looks pretty poor in comparison.

There are some facilities that are very worthwhile at Daydream. The fantastic pool system has to be seen to be believed. Just gorgeous. And Para-sailing and wine-and-cheese catamaran tours were at least two activities that seemed unique to Daydream. But there were absolutely no water activities running when we were there, due to the extremely windy and wet weather.

Also, the Daydream Island kids club and beauty spa are gorgeous. My kids clamoured to go to kids club every afternoon, and didn't want to leave. The spa is worth a visit, gorgeous products and a very professional staff. I could have gone several times if given the opportunity.

Mermaids Restaurant (only a la carte on the island) is pretty good, but don't worry you'll pay!

Which brings me to the resort accommodation. Perhaps we were spoiled at Hamilton Island (we stayed at the Reef View at Hamilton and just loved it). In comparison we could not help but notice the lower standards of Daydream. The accommodation was good, with great views, but not quite as luxurious. The television service was certainly inferior - my husband was going crazy as he could not watch the Rugby, or the Ashes cricket game on tv, not even by paying extra. Also, the children's television services were very poor, meaning we had to pay extra for children's movies. Usually there is an open-air movie each evening (eg Karate Kid, James Bond), but we did not attend as it happened to be blowing a gale the five days we were there.

The bath is a pretty down-market bath-shower combo. There is no room service throughout the day, although you can get take-away when Mermaids Restaurant is open. There is no wi-fi in the room, although free hi-fi is offered in the expansive lobby area. I had some important online banking to do - I couldn't do this at all on the island as the connection was so slow.

Overall, a very different experience to Hamiltn and in many ways a blast from the past in terms of 'feel'. I liked it, but do think the prices should be a little lower to reflect its whimsical, family-oriented charm. Ps the 'orange juice' at breakfast was actually cordial.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank corallove
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed here with my 2 children for 5 nights. There are activities (including free and paid ones) within the resort. Due to the windy conditions, archery (one of free activities) was cancelled for the last 2 days and we are checking out tomorrow. My son was quite disappointed as he did not get to try it. I went to the Step up class. I hope the managment can consider more gym classes. Quite disappointed as other free non-motorised sports activities such as paddle board, kayak and catamaran are also cancelled due to the windy days for the last 2 to 3 days. Only did kayak with my children on our second day here. We can snorkel off the lover cove but the windy conditions did not help with the visibility of the water. We saw some fishes such as parrots fishes etc while snorkelling off Lovers Cove. Our ocean balcony room is quite spacious and it has LCD TV. But we have to pay for movies on our TV. Very nosiy unit as I am a light sleeper and I can hear the talking noise at night from the thin walls when people walk past and the chairs upstairs being moved here and there at night. I guess there is nothing much the resort can do with the construction of the units. We loved to see the the morning sunrise over from our room. Sunset at lovers cove and south end of the island are beautiful too. The two Play equipments (one at coral wing) and the other on the south end cater to the young toddlers. I hope the resort management can consider installing outdoor gym equipment along the boardwalk and play equipment for older kids. The boardwallk and rainforest walk nearby the resort are great with beautiful and scenic views. Very limited choices eating out as there are only 3 restaurants or 2 on some nights. Mermaid restaurant food is nice but expensive. It is a fine gourmet dining place with very small portion of food for mains! Fishbowl caters to family with children as most food there are fried eg. deep fried prawns, friend nuggets. My kids said the the meals at Fishbow are more filling for them. Anyway both places are very expensive considering they are not big serves of food. We feel like we are in Hawaii being on the island resort. Nice getaway from winter in Sydney for us!! I went to the spa and absolutely loved the botanical spa package with body steaming, facial massage, hair and eye treatments. I stayed in the spa ocean balcony for hours reading after the treatment as we are welcome to stay as long as we want after the treatment. Every lady should try to a spa pampering session especially at the daydream island resort.

Room Tip: some rooms have old TV. If you want new LCD TV, make sure you book it but the reservation said it is...
1 Thank ABC988
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed here for 5nights at ocean balcony room with 2 adults and 2 children. Booked the resort with full daily buffet breakfast, return ferry from Hamilton Island and Great Barrier Reef (hardy reef) cruise through myholidaycentre.com. Saved a couple of hundred dollars by booking through this travel agent than booking them myself online. Also as part of this package, we get $100 dining voucher and $150 spa voucher. Loved the spa treatment and I felt self-indulgence and felt really relaxed after the 1 hour spa:-)
I booked the airfare online through Jetstar as we each has the $200 voucher as compensation for our returned flight cancellation from our Hawaiian trip this January. I need to use the voucher within 6 months.
Dining is very expensive on the island (1km by 500m) and there are only 3 restaurants to choose. Loved the nightly live music from the Bali boys! My kids enjoyed the kids treasure hunt at the Mermaid pool and we all enjoyed the informative fish feeding at the reef lagon (claimed to be the largest in the Southern Hemisphere and it is equivalent to 2 Olympic size pools). Breakfast is the same bacon, different type of eggs (boiled, scramble the usual ones), etc every day which are very boring. They did not even provide fresh bananas which I was really disappointed as we are in Queensland as it is supposed to be the largest producer of bananas in Australia!! Why no fresh banana for buffet breakfast??? The coffee machine with fresh coffee beans is a plus point and that is the main reason which I turn up for the same breakfast for 5 days!! The fan vents in our bathroom in the rainforest wing room are really dirty and mouldy and they need to be cleaned up! Another disappointment is the free kayak, catermaran and paddle board as the times available are in the morning from around 9am to 12pm. It was windy for those few days when we were there and we could not use them! There are only 2 catermarans available and they were booked out by 9.15am!
Snorkelling at Lovers Cove on the island was a let down for me as it was windy and the water was murky. My kids got really excited to see the 30cm parrot fishes at Lovers Cove.
Daydream Island is a beautiful island and it reminded us of our recent Hawaii (Oahu and Maui) trip minus the shopping and the hospitality! Great for family and couples. My kids got up late for breakfast around 9am and the dining area was very nosiy with many people especially children after 8am. So my husband and I went for early breakkie around 7.30am and there is a quiet dining room for adutls only and it is overlooking the man-made waterfalls in the Waterfall restaurant. Well thought for couples who need to getaway!! Some staff are not really friendly and I believe it would make me feel even more like in Hawaii if all the staff greet you when they see you.

Room Tip: If you have kids especially toddlers, ask for ocean view patio room on the ground floor in the rainf...
2 Thank TLC168
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were so excited to visit the Whitsunday Islands and felt like Daydream would be an ideal place for us. The natural beauty is stunning - beautiful sunsets, close to ocean activities, etc.

However, the resort is more than a bit tired - very much stuck in the '80s with regards to decor and the rooms need a refresh. Minigolf was fun and very Aussie-themed, but it is dingy and needs some serious TLC. Fishbowl was a terrible meal - just fried frozen food and very over priced. Mermaids is far better and we had a delicious pizza lunch and dinner there. Unfortunately, we cannot understand the resort's service - the poolside BBQ ended abruptly and we went into the lobby bar where there was only 1 bartender for a nightcap.

It was a beautiful spot - we just wish the resort could get the facelift it needs!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
One&Only Hayman Island
One&Only Hayman Island
#1 of 1 in Hayman Island

Been to Daydream Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!