“Island Resort Getaway for families and couples”

Daydream Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daydream Island
Sydney
“Island Resort Getaway for families and couples”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed here with my 2 children for 5 nights. There are activities (including free and paid ones) within the resort. Due to the windy conditions, archery (one of free activities) was cancelled for the last 2 days and we are checking out tomorrow. My son was quite disappointed as he did not get to try it. I went to the Step up class. I hope the managment can consider more gym classes. Quite disappointed as other free non-motorised sports activities such as paddle board, kayak and catamaran are also cancelled due to the windy days for the last 2 to 3 days. Only did kayak with my children on our second day here. We can snorkel off the lover cove but the windy conditions did not help with the visibility of the water. We saw some fishes such as parrots fishes etc while snorkelling off Lovers Cove. Our ocean balcony room is quite spacious and it has LCD TV. But we have to pay for movies on our TV. Very nosiy unit as I am a light sleeper and I can hear the talking noise at night from the thin walls when people walk past and the chairs upstairs being moved here and there at night. I guess there is nothing much the resort can do with the construction of the units. We loved to see the the morning sunrise over from our room. Sunset at lovers cove and south end of the island are beautiful too. The two Play equipments (one at coral wing) and the other on the south end cater to the young toddlers. I hope the resort management can consider installing outdoor gym equipment along the boardwalk and play equipment for older kids. The boardwallk and rainforest walk nearby the resort are great with beautiful and scenic views. Very limited choices eating out as there are only 3 restaurants or 2 on some nights. Mermaid restaurant food is nice but expensive. It is a fine gourmet dining place with very small portion of food for mains! Fishbowl caters to family with children as most food there are fried eg. deep fried prawns, friend nuggets. My kids said the the meals at Fishbow are more filling for them. Anyway both places are very expensive considering they are not big serves of food. We feel like we are in Hawaii being on the island resort. Nice getaway from winter in Sydney for us!! I went to the spa and absolutely loved the botanical spa package with body steaming, facial massage, hair and eye treatments. I stayed in the spa ocean balcony for hours reading after the treatment as we are welcome to stay as long as we want after the treatment. Every lady should try to a spa pampering session especially at the daydream island resort.

Room Tip: some rooms have old TV. If you want new LCD TV, make sure you book it but the reservation said it is...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ABC988

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed here for 5nights at ocean balcony room with 2 adults and 2 children. Booked the resort with full daily buffet breakfast, return ferry from Hamilton Island and Great Barrier Reef (hardy reef) cruise through myholidaycentre.com. Saved a couple of hundred dollars by booking through this travel agent than booking them myself online. Also as part of this package, we get $100 dining voucher and $150 spa voucher. Loved the spa treatment and I felt self-indulgence and felt really relaxed after the 1 hour spa:-)
I booked the airfare online through Jetstar as we each has the $200 voucher as compensation for our returned flight cancellation from our Hawaiian trip this January. I need to use the voucher within 6 months.
Dining is very expensive on the island (1km by 500m) and there are only 3 restaurants to choose. Loved the nightly live music from the Bali boys! My kids enjoyed the kids treasure hunt at the Mermaid pool and we all enjoyed the informative fish feeding at the reef lagon (claimed to be the largest in the Southern Hemisphere and it is equivalent to 2 Olympic size pools). Breakfast is the same bacon, different type of eggs (boiled, scramble the usual ones), etc every day which are very boring. They did not even provide fresh bananas which I was really disappointed as we are in Queensland as it is supposed to be the largest producer of bananas in Australia!! Why no fresh banana for buffet breakfast??? The coffee machine with fresh coffee beans is a plus point and that is the main reason which I turn up for the same breakfast for 5 days!! The fan vents in our bathroom in the rainforest wing room are really dirty and mouldy and they need to be cleaned up! Another disappointment is the free kayak, catermaran and paddle board as the times available are in the morning from around 9am to 12pm. It was windy for those few days when we were there and we could not use them! There are only 2 catermarans available and they were booked out by 9.15am!
Snorkelling at Lovers Cove on the island was a let down for me as it was windy and the water was murky. My kids got really excited to see the 30cm parrot fishes at Lovers Cove.
Daydream Island is a beautiful island and it reminded us of our recent Hawaii (Oahu and Maui) trip minus the shopping and the hospitality! Great for family and couples. My kids got up late for breakfast around 9am and the dining area was very nosiy with many people especially children after 8am. So my husband and I went for early breakkie around 7.30am and there is a quiet dining room for adutls only and it is overlooking the man-made waterfalls in the Waterfall restaurant. Well thought for couples who need to getaway!! Some staff are not really friendly and I believe it would make me feel even more like in Hawaii if all the staff greet you when they see you.

Room Tip: If you have kids especially toddlers, ask for ocean view patio room on the ground floor in the rainf...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TLC168
Melbourne
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were so excited to visit the Whitsunday Islands and felt like Daydream would be an ideal place for us. The natural beauty is stunning - beautiful sunsets, close to ocean activities, etc.

However, the resort is more than a bit tired - very much stuck in the '80s with regards to decor and the rooms need a refresh. Minigolf was fun and very Aussie-themed, but it is dingy and needs some serious TLC. Fishbowl was a terrible meal - just fried frozen food and very over priced. Mermaids is far better and we had a delicious pizza lunch and dinner there. Unfortunately, we cannot understand the resort's service - the poolside BBQ ended abruptly and we went into the lobby bar where there was only 1 bartender for a nightcap.

It was a beautiful spot - we just wish the resort could get the facelift it needs!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer S
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Daydream Island Resort was for us the perfect stay in the beautiful Whitsundays. We stayed for 5 nights in November 2012. The resort is packed with activities which is perfect for a small family. We went mini golfing, jet skying and snorkeling straight of the beach. The staff is very welcoming and always friendly and helpful. They organized our day tours direct departing from the island and it made everything simple and easy for us. The highlight of the resort for us is the 'living reef', where we could hand feed stingrays and saw little sharks. We highly recommend this place3 if you want to spend some unforgettable days in paradise!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lee S
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We have just come back from daydream. The hotel was an easy location to relax. Rooms are great size. The only downside was one of our rooms smelt musty, but we kept the door open and accepted this was part of island living. Staff were great! And food was so good we are all complaining about the extra weight we have. We did bring snacks to keep the cost down. On our way home our flight was cancelled and we had to stay a night on Hamilton island so I can tell you for sure Daydream is a much better family destination and was cheaper. The accommodation we were given on Hamilton was horrible in comparison and we were so pleased we made daydream our location of choice for the week. Lastly can I thank the staff for their effort in getting our son a 21 birthday cake and the bottle of champaign for him on arrival was such a nice touch. Thank you for a great holiday!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Smith754
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Our trip was a very memorable one. Staff was friendly and helpful. A lot of things to do in Daydream Island.. I felt that our 5 day stay wasn't enough because there were so many things to do. The family loved it very much especially the kids! We would love to ga back there soon!

Room Tip: Our coral balcony room was a blast! A beautiful view of the beach from our room! You never regret it...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Erick G
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I recently spent a weekend on Daydream Island which is naturally very beautiful but suffers from it's lack of quality in food and staff service. Although it was low season a lot of the outlets were closed and the pub style restaurant we ate at served the food within minutes of being ordered so felt very 'fast food' & not very tasty. The island is also overtaken with these birds that harass the guests in the evening whilst dining which did not help the overall experience.
Rooms were nice enough and newly renovated but the food and some of the staff's attitude let the island down.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
#4 of 5 in Hamilton Island
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#6 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Daydream Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!