“Fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daydream Island
Emu Park, Australia
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I must say I'm shocked to see some terrible reviews especially about the staff! We recently stayed 3 nights on the special deal. we arrived about 12.30 our rooms were ready, yes there is a slight musky smell but that is quite often the case in the tropics because of the humidity. The rooms were clean and adequate in our package we had a lovely bottle of bubbly , chocolates and a welcome card. We found all the staff pleasant and could not do enough for you. Special mention to Sharon who really went out of her way with the kids at meal times. we had a few issues with Ants but it was dealt with and we were given a new kettle straight away. The meals while not cheap were of excellent quality and the Buffett and seafood night was just brilliant especially the desert bar. Unfortunately we could not use the free activities due to the weather but the paid activities were reasonably priced and well run. The Gardens are well kept and the rainforest walk is a must for the views. A little bit disappointed with the spa, turned up at 11am which was suppose to be tour time, we were not offered a tour and little interest was taken when my friend wanted more information on the treatments, due to lack of interest we ended up spending the money on jet skiing.

Room Tip: Ground floor balcony for the room outside
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

So much to do so little time, this place has it all. Lots of swimming pools, a great beach, lovers cove is great for snorkelling and the food is absolutely awesome, seafood night is a must! Mini golf was fun, night cinema a great experience. Rooms very neat, clean, couldn't fault really. Definitely a happy customer.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We visited Daydream Island in April of this year as part of a 4 week tour of Oz. This was to be the relaxing leg of the holiday and we were certainly not disappointed on that front. There were three of us, me, my wife and 9 year old son.

You should always start a story off with some positives, so here we go.....

The island is beautiful. Absolutely no denying that. We also had superb weather during our stay so all good on that front too. Loved the freely roaming wildlife and the snorkelling was superb at Lover's Cove. The resort is spotlessly clean (outside) and the gardens are kept meticulously tidy.
Loads to do, from relaxing by the excellent pools, to the outdoor cinema which my son loved.
The layout is excellent and we like walking, so the 15 minute trek to the other end of the island wasn't a big issue for us. The fish pools are great and the kids' activities such as feeding the stingrays were also excellent.
(Special mention to Damien here. He took my son stingray feeding and could not have been better. Very friendly, very knowledgable and a has a great manner with the kids. My son is STILL raving about that experience). Thank you Damien!
The food quality at Mermaids restaurant is excellent (I'll get onto prices later), but they could have been more flexible with the menu. My son was desperate for a pizza one night but despite having pizza on the daytime menu, said they couldn't do one at night for him. Bit strange, but there you go.
The food in the bakery is of a good standard, the breakfast buffet is good, provided you get there early. Any later and you'll probably break your neck slipping on dropped sausages whilst heading to the queue for cold food. We learnt our lesson on that score very quickly.
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. We'd probably visit a different island if there ever is a next time, but the resort is pretty decent.

To the negatives though....

I cannot stress this strongly enough. DO NOT GET A GARDEN VIEW ROOM!
They are damp, pure and simple. I notice other reviews talking of musty smells. This is because the rooms are undoubtedly DAMP. Note to the management : If you cannot air a room, they will get damp. The windows do not open in the garden view rooms and there was no balcony, so these rooms never see fresh air. Our clothes were stinking and felt wet after just one night, not to mention the fact that my wife has asthma and this could have been a REAL problem. We had to move room after the 1st night, which to be fair, the resort organised pretty efficiently, however, they moved us to another garden room, which can only be described as being 50% less damp than the previous one. But with air freshener.
You have been warned!
(No compensation of ANY description was offered for the inconvenience either).

Having read some of the management responses to other reviews regarding food and drink pricing I feel it absolutely necessary to comment.
Now, I know Australia is generally expensive for touring Brits at the moment as our pound value has been systematically destroyed by unscrupulous bankers, but.....the food and drink on Daydream Island, whilst being of a good standard (let me reiterate that) is extortionate.
Let me give you an example. 3 sandwiches, 3 bottles of Coke and 3 bags of crisps from the bakery. Not much change out of £40. I don't care what you say Mr. Manager, but that is expensive.
Mermaids restaurant - 2 shared starters, 2 mains, 1 kids meal, 1 bottle of wine and a Coke. Approx. £120.
I don't care whether or not the pricing is relative to other islands, it is expensive, pure and simple.

Anyway, onto other stuff...
The mini golf. The management should probably just rip it up and start again. It was probably good in its day, but it is seriously run down now and to charge what they did for it was a downright rip-off.

The staff. This is a weird one. The staff at Daydream Island seem to be either utterly superb or utterly dreadful. There is little middle ground.
Let me make this clear though, the majority of staff are fantastic. Really friendly, helpful and good fun. The staff who ran our fish feeding sessions, the rainforest walk, Stingray Splash were simply brilliant.
However, there are quite a few who I frankly wouldn't employ to clean my shoes. The one time we went to the bakery (for the £40 sandwiches above), the level of service I received was so appaling, that had it been my shop, I would have sacked the two counter staff on the spot. I only wish I had remembered their names as I would have, quite out of character for me, definitely reported them to management.

Overall, I don't want to be too critical of the island, as we did have a great time there.
As others have said though, the report card would read "Good effort, but should do better".

Room Tip: Unless you are an insect that enjoys damp conditions.... Do NOT book a garden view room. I repeat...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Herbie1987
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Very friendly resort with hospitable staff willing to go out of their way for you. So many things for the kids to do and the best spa & massage treatments for me! Mermaids restaurant for dinner was 5 star quality.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed one night on Daydream island for a friends wedding. Upon making the booking I mentioned we were coming for the wedding & was given a "discounted" rate. What I hadn't been told was that we would b getting a discounted amount of service.
Arrived to the resort around 11am the day of the wedding. Waited around 15 minutes to check in & we were told by the lady at reception that our room wasn't ready (which we understood as checkin isn't generally until 2pm) As I had mentioned when booking that we were there for the wedding I expected the reception to give us some details on where the wedding was etc. nope no mention of the wedding I had to listen in on the couple next to us who were also attending the wedding as the manager checking them in explained the details.
Anyway we waited in the lobby for around half an hour and got a phone call from reception saying our room was ready. Eager to get showered and ready for the wedding which was at 2pm, we raced up to our room only to find it had dirty towels on the ground, bed had no linen on it & the room was basically in shambles and hadnt been cleaned from the last people to check out.
I immediately rang reception to find out what was going on?
She said to come straight back down to reception which involved us lugging our heavy bags all the way back down 3 floors.
The manager was waiting for us at reception gave us some half assed apology then gave us 2 complimentary drinks. As the bar in the lobby wasn't open I went to a little kiosk where I waited 15 minutes to get a coffee and coke only to have the girl serving drop the f bomb at the till because she couldn't work out how to put the voucher through as I stood there awkwardly.
Finally after another hr of waiting for our room to be ready I went up to reception and asked what was going on as the wedding started in 1/2 an hr and we still needed to get ready!!!
The girl at reception handed over the key for the same room & said oh yeh it's ready. Were they going to tell us?!?
Anyway room was large but outdated. Tv was old school big back tv with crappy reception. Room had musty smell if we were staying anymore than 1 night I would hav asked to be changed but considering the trouble we went through to get this room I didn't bother.
Overall staff rude and seem like they don't want to be there.
Horrible service at the bakery once again 15-20 just to get some drinks & food (which costs a fortune)
Buggy service to the south side is a joke! Had the manager himself drive past me and another girl in high heels after the wedding lugging it back in the rain. Basically had to jump in front of the buggy for him to stop and pick us up!
We left our partners behind as there was no room on the buggy and when we got back the manger turned off the buggy.
We were confused and asked him if he was going back to get our partners? His reply was oh no this isn't a buggy service it only runs until 2pm (the time would have been around 3) and just walked off! This meant our partners had to walk back fully suited up in the rain then sit in their wet clothes for the wedding reception!
What a joke! If this is the managers attitude to looking after guests then no wonder none of the staff give a crap.
Avoid daydream island at all costs! only 1 night there was 1 too many!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank J_ozzzz87

Travelers are raving about these Daydream Island hotels

Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

We were just visiting for a few hours, but it all looked very pleasant and impressive. The collection of fish and other animals around the resort was a nice touch, allowing us to see sharks, sting rays, fish, and wallabies. It was a bit of a hike from the hotel to the shops/restaurants at the other end of the island, but it was a pleasant walk (excluding the golf carts running us off the road a few times - it really could have been wider). The outside of the resort looked a little old, but the interior was very nice and maintained. Seemed like a nice venue for a resort getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Daydream really is one of my favourite islands to visit in Australia. It has everything you need and offers great service and ambience, wonderful restaurants and bars with some of the most amazing seafood and cocktails I have ever tasted as well as loads of activities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
One&Only Hayman Island
One&Only Hayman Island
#1 of 1 in Hayman Island

Been to Daydream Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!