“Not the same as it used to be” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Daydream Island Resort & Spa

Daydream Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daydream Island
Melbourne, Australia
“Not the same as it used to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was my seventh time on the island, we (the two of us and another couple) went there to celebrate my husband's birthday. We used the New Years special offer, which had an upgrade to an ocean balcony room, sparkling and chocolates on arrival and $100 room credit. If I knew the room was facing the marina, I would've loved to stay in a garden balcony room instead.

During the booking process, I have noticed, the site doesn't have a security certificate (I always check before paying by credit card), so I called the resort; I was told this is an online only offer, and the site is safe...

I think checking guests in at Hamilton is a good idea, although it doesn't make much difference, because when you get to the island (and after the introduction), you still need to queue and then walk around the island until your room is ready.

I was very disappointed with the cleanness of the room, especially the bathroom. I am not going to post the picture of the toilet, but if anyone wants it, I'll send it to them.

I was also disappointed in the disinterest of some staff; I must mention that during my previous stays at Daydream, staff was happy, cheerful and helpful. They were into making the guests' holiday a great memory. When you walked from the main building towards the other end of the island, they would smile at you, greet you and make a lovely comment - something that would really feel good. On this occasion, this wasn't happening, they didn't even say hello and had a very unhappy face. I've seen this in the restaurant (Waterfalls), and at the kayak hire as well (by the way, non-motorised sports used to be free).

Another disappointment was the amount of people smoking on the island... I just can't comprehend it - if you go to a subtropical island, the last thing you are supposed to do is harm the environment (and the others around you), you are supposed to enjoy the clean air for Pete's sake! We couldn't sit down anywhere without someone smoking nearby.

Guests weren't such a happy bunch, either.

We managed to have fun, nevertheless, playing volleyball and water polo and snorkeling at Lovers Cove.

We enjoyed all the meals at The Mermaids and wait staff was downright amazing there. Thank you Evelyn for making our night a great one. And also thanks to the manager (can't recall his name) for organising the cake on such a short notice, I really appreciate it. The Global knife was a nice touch, too.

Summa sumarum, I think this was the very last occasion I have visited this resort. I have great memories from previous holidays and I'd like to keep them that way.

Room Tip: Garden balcony was so far my favourite.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Babi S
DaydreamIsland, Guest Relations Manager at Daydream Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Babi S

Thank you for your feedback regarding your latest stay with us on Daydream, It is so important that our return guest pass on their feedback so that we can continue to improve daydream upon each visit. I was saddened to read that you feel that this maybe your last stay on the island and I certainly hope that that is not the case.

I can assure you that the on line booking system is secure. Our booking site runs in conjunction with our hotel operating system and is a secure site running inside the Daydream Island network frame.
I am disappointed to read that you were unhappy with the cleanliness of your room. Our housekeeping staff pride themselves on the Cleanliness of bot the resort and the rooms. I would like to be able to follow up with our Housekeeping department if you would like to email myself directly gsm@daydreamisland.com

With regards to smoking around the pool area and in any public area Daydream Island has designated smoking areas that we encourage all guests to utilise. We do our best to police this by educating staff and management to enforce this program as you can imagine with such a vast area this can be difficult to police as not all guest are willing to comply.
I note you make mention of our non-motorised water sport not being free. All north end water sport such as catamarans, kayaks and stand up paddle boards are all free of charge for our in house guests as are a range of 20 other free activities across the resort.

Thank you for the positive feedback regarding your special dinner at mermaids and I am please you will have fond memories of this occasion and I have passed on your feedback to Evelyn and the entire mermaids team.

I look forward to hearing from you directly and I look forward to welcoming you back to Daydream Island Resort & Spa in the very near future.

Kind Regards
Craig Ryan
Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I found the resort very lovely. The majority of the staff were great. Really friendly and helpful. I went there for a wedding and the three staff members who were helping us did an incredible job. Most of the places to eat were good, although we had a big issue with Mermaids. We were told they could not sit our whole party so half had to go the the other side of the island to eat even though many of the tables were not used. We then had to wait over 2 hours for our food. Becides that, it is a beautiful island to go and relax on, but I would wait for a great room deal rather that pay the full price since I dont think it is worth over $300 a night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed 3 nights over the Easter break with my sister. The staff were fantastic and the island atmosphere was relaxing. From the minute we stepped off the boat, you were taken care of. My sister and I requested a garden balcony room and got upgraded to an ocean view !!! Food was delicious and cocktails are a must. They have an adults only dining area (which is great!). Rooms were very clean and housekeeping comes everyday to replenish towels and make the beds. Treat this island like a cruise ship, they hold activities and you don't need to go anywhere. Will definitely be going back. Highly recommended. If you don't have kids or some that are teenagers, you must do the stingray feeding.

Room Tip: Choose rooms in the Number 1 wing - you are away from all the pool noise and still get good views, b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Sunshine Coast QLD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Lovely resort in the best location the whitsundays, terrific for families and a variety of eating options from restaurant to pub meal and bakery. Has a day spa and lots of activities. The pools are lovely and the rooms were neat and tidy. I wouldn't however recommend this for couples as lots of families and young kids.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Kellie C
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Despite our rating, we actually had a fantastic time at Daydream Island and would consider returning. Holidaying with our 17 month old, child minding with no minimum age was significantly important for us. The service offered at the resort was superb (Jess is great) - enabling us to jet ski, snorkel and just lay in the beautiful sun but great pools.

So why the 2 star rating - the rooms were tired and musty, a third of the resort was closed (restaurants and bars), but the biggest problem was the food. We learned that the majority of the food arrived on the island on a barge once a week. The result was that prawns, oysters, steak, bananas etc were either not fresh or not available.

The people were great (apart from the guy at the activities desk who made an inappropriate comment about me wanting to meet up with another woman while my wife and I were booking a jet ski).

We were really surprised by the $1500 bill for nights.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DaydreamIsland, General Manager at Daydream Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Jamieandjohn

Thank you so much for the feedback from your recent stay on Daydream Island.

It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us despite your overall rating, and we certainly look forward to your return. We do run a return guest program which I hope you take advantage of.

Our restaurants; open on various days during a guest stay and this is conveyed to our guests once on island through the Outlet Operating Schedule, with at least two restaurants open daily. This practice has been in place for many years; we endeavour to have our guest enjoy a variety of our outlets.

With regard to your comments on the delivery of food via barge; yes this is correct; the delivery of our consumables is made to us weekly via the barge. We supplement this with deliveries as required. This practice is no different than that of a normal household, mainland hotel or business. We source the best possible product from reputable suppliers.
I apologise that an inappropriate comment was made and am glad that you recognise that the staff (people) were great.

We appreciate your feedback and I look forward to see you back in the Whitsunday’s soon.

Kind Regards
Warren McCorriston
Resort Manager

Travelers are raving about these Daydream Island hotels

Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

We have now been to Daydream Island twice - Once with our two kids and the second time on our own for our honeymoon (We initially were booked into a another resort, but that was a terrible fail, so we transferred to DDI knowing we were definitely going to have a great time there)

From your first step onto the island you are welcomed by exceptionally polite and warm staff, and gifted with a seashell necklace. The porter takes care of your bags, you are welcomed into a conference room to hear about how everything works and where to from there.

While the atrium is somewhat colourful and possibly a little outdated, it adds warmth and character to the room and does not at all reflect negatively on the quality of service.

Having stayed in a garden room, and also the coral ocean room we of course loved the ocean room. Lying in bed looking out onto the Whitsundays - what more could you ask for? Both rooms are extremely clean, very well maintained (I could not see anything in need of repair) TVs are a decent size and have a decent array of channels, and pay per view movies. Mini bar and snacks are well stocked and replaced daily. Rooms are serviced daily also. The island is very well maintained, in our 5 day stay we saw gardeners everyday, and even a room getting re-painted.

There are a few restaurants on the island, but they open on alternate nights. Buffet breakfast is a must and can usually be included in your package. Great coffee, the usual hot food but also a great selection of healthy food too which is a nice change from some breakfast buffets.

Mermaids Restaurant is good quality and try to get a table outside if possible, watching the sunset with the mermaids in the background is priceless. Waterfalls restaurant almost always has a dinner buffet on, but at prices of around $55-$85 per person, I would probably only recommend going if you are more of a quantity vs quality type. I didn't have a big meal, so I probably could of gone to Mermaids instead where it was better quality and would of ended up costing less. Where as my husband had maybe 4 meals, so it was definitely worth it for him! (To be fair, I did make him stay and get our moneys worth ;) )

Fishbowls is more of a pub meal quality, but the atmosphere is more relaxed then Mermaids and a little more suited to kids to tend to stray from their chairs ;) it's also great on outdoor movie night, to have dinner then walk outside and watch a movie on the amazing out door cinema screen.

DDI used to do room delivery but for some reason stopped - our only disappointment. After a day out on the boat we were sunburnt and felt like eating in our room but this was not to be.

Snorkeling at lovers cove is a definite must! The corals are amazing, we have been scuba diving off Knuckle Reef and I would have to say the corals here are alot brighter and richer, not to mention the vast array of colourful fish - sure to be there especially around and after feeding time. You might need to wear a stinger suit, we went snorkeling on the island across the water and I was stung, so kept my suit on at all times after that.

Kids are never bored, the pools are big, sparkling and well kept. Adults are never bored either, with splashes pool bar making any cocktail you wish.

While wet weather days are hard for all, DDI makes a real effort to set-up activities for the kids in the atrium. When we were leaving it was raining, and they had wii, movies, toys all out for the kids for the day.

The living reef on the island is absolutely, absolutely fantastic. Both as a parent watching my children so excited over Bruce the shark cruise past, and even as a person myself I found it thrilling to be so close to these creatures. Although we didn't participate in the feeding sessions, we excitedly watched on. While the feeding sessions were happening, the staff were very educational, yet not boring or overwhelming.

Its rare in any place of business for ALL staff to be lovely, but I can honestly say they all were here. I mistakenly bought the wrong charger for my phone, but the reception would charge it for me no problem at all.

We have to make a shout out to the bartender Julian, he took very good care of us on both of our trips, even remembering us after 18 months haha :)

Tip 1 : If traveling with children particularly young or fussy eaters, I would recommend bringing snack bars and maybe even bread/spread for sandwiches. There is no grocery type store at all, you can not purchase these things on the island - only cafe and restaurant meals. Our kids love vegemite sandwiches and fruit bars so you can imagine our predicament.

Tip 2: If you plan on doing say more then 3 days of snorkeling, I would recommend purchasing and bringing your own mask & snorkel. We hired for 5 days each, and we could of easily bought a good quality set for the same cost.

This resort is a 10/10 for our family and we will be going back just as soon as we can book!

Room Tip: Coral ocean room has beautiful views onto the water
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GCReviews
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Great experience, overall fantastic staff.
Food prices slightly over priced
Not all food outlets open during our stay (not during peak times) so limited our options at times.
No room service, which really surprised me, as I love having room service while away,
Would definitely stay again if life allowes

• Stayed March 2013
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
One&Only Hayman Island
One&Only Hayman Island
#1 of 1 in Hayman Island

Been to Daydream Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!