“Cool to Chill Out” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daydream Island
Sydney, Australia
“Cool to Chill Out”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Tough place to review. Depends what you are after.
Pros:
Grounds are well kept and island itself is very pretty. We got some great sunset shots and as the wind moves around, you can just move your activities to the leeward side.
Good for kids. Smorgasbord breakfast and dinner (most nights) which was a free for all but quite well run and food was fine. There is an a la carte restaurant too, but we didn't eat there much (food was good though).
Spacious rooms (and ours had a nice ocean view), although for $440 a night, you probably expect it.
Marine pool thing near the main building has decent sized sharks and rays in it that you can even hand feed. That was cool and you could see the kids love it. Actually the wildlife on the island generally was cool. Lizards, wallabies, birds (Bush Stone Curlews everywhere) and the odd turtle were very easy to find and photograph.
Cons:
The island is small and so you can see it all on day one with a bit of dedicated walking. We stayed for 5 nights which was plenty. I like to run, so you have to do two laps of the island to get up to 20mins.
The island is very close to the mainland and so the water visibility is poor (only a few metres). Obviously this is not the fault of the hotel, but if you think you are going to do spectacular, great vis snorkels off the beach, think again. I haven't stayed on the other islands further out, but I think most of them have limited vis. You need to get out to the reef (which is several hours and several hundred dollars away by boat) for the good stuff.
The whole island resort holiday is pretty sedentary. Fine for some people, but I like to get out and explore a bit more which was tough on Daydream. The swim-up bar in one of the many pools was easily avoided (there were plenty of other pools). If you like swim up bars then cool, but it was 'the bogan pool' unofficially to us. Don't get me wrong, the place is very family friendly, but it seems that everyone tends to eat and drink a bit because there are limited other options.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ololiferous

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Sunbury, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

We're currently travelling around some of Australia camping in tents so as a treat my husband has brought us to Paradise.
I'll confess l came with an open mind after having read all the reviews on Trip Advisor, but honestly, l don't know how they could be so negative.
I loved the arrival meet and greet, everyone has been happy to stop, chat and answer our enquiries.
Pools are awesome, everything has been clean, tidy and professional.
Buffet breakfast, WOW, spoilt for choice, loved the fish feeding show!
The wild life is amazing, last night we had a kangaroo at our sliding door, a lace monitor came from the garden to visit and the cockatoos are hilarious!!! Last night on the way home from dinner we enjoyed seeing bats fly overhead.
Last night an outdoor movie screened, another tonight. Sadly l missed the water aerobics and beach yoga, l need more time. You can do as much or as little as you like here. We're with a 10 yr old so lots of time in the three pools and spas.
The ladies have been in and cleaned our room while we were on the balcony and were polite and did a great job, l have been telling everyone and will continue to do so to come here, lm sorry we only have 2 days.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank kimmykitten
aylesbry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I spent three days on Daydream with my family as part of an island hopping holiday. Everything about this resort is amzing and relaxing. Room was very up todate and clean A/C working at all times. The service was excellent and staff cannot do enough for you. Breakfast was very high quality with masses of choice and during the day samwiches and snacks can be purchased which are also high quality. Dinner is a litte expensive with limited choice that is my only small complaint. Now back in UK but my little daydream is to return to Daydream island. Dont miss out on this lovely resort. x

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Poppy-Jade
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

There is something about stepping off a boat onto a resort island that just makes you relax and want to kick your shoes off. Having a shell necklace placed around my neck on arrival, I saunter up the path to the transit lounge. Here I am greeted by a tanned and smiling man who welcomes me to Daydream Island Resort and Spa. As the name of the island itself states, I am in a euphoric state of daydream.

Pristine beaches, turquoise waters, tropical palm trees and a soft salty sea breeze caressed my face. Only this is not a dream. I can actually taste the salty sweetness on my lips, feel the rough coral mixed sand between my toes and hear the soft lapping waves that engulf my feet. This is no dream, this is real.

One of Australia’s premier resorts and the jewel of the Whitsundays with secluded white coral beaches and lush rainforest, Daydream Island Resort and Spa is just a short ferry ride from the Great Barrier Reef Airport on Hamilton Island, or just minutes by boat from Airlie Beach.

Amongst a beautiful setting and gorgeous climate are 296 luxurious rooms and suites catering for honeymooners to families and is the ideal place for a relaxing holiday or special event.

The resort has its own living reef which continues to amaze and delight visitors and kids squeal in excitement at ‘finding Nemo’ or revel in the curiosity of feeding stingrays and other marine life that call this reef home.

Daydream’s signature Rejuvenation Spa has six private rooms offering the latest in naturopathy, hydrotherapy, aromatherapy or reflexology to stimulate the senses and bring harmony to mind, body and soul.

There are also the popular weekly health programs including wellness and stress management therapies as well as assistance in devising a lifestyle plan to maintain optimum health with programs focusing on Detox, Rejuvenation or Wellness.

For the more energetic guests, there are activities that include daily island kayak adventure, golf driving and regular Yoga and Zumba fitness classes being held on select days, a free open air cinema, an Australia-themed 19-hole mini golf course or perhaps you would prefer to enjoy a cocktail at the resort’s swim-up bar.

For some more action-packed adventure, guests can try jet skiing, parasailing, reef fishing, tennis, volleyball and scuba diving.

Ending the day’s activities will bring on an appetite, which can be satisfied at Daydream Island’s signature restaurant Mermaid’s. There is also a buffet dinner option as well as a bakery on the island if you are after a quick snack.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money to get a room with an ocean view - well worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelWriterKate
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We just got back from a beautiful 7day stay at daydream Island. I was originally looking at having our wedding there, I came to this sight and found it is more of a family resort, not a honeymoon resort.

I cant say it would be bad for a honeymoon, but agree Id rather go there with my children than without.

There is so much to do both on and off the island, we did not have a day that we had nothing to do! I had no problem with the rooms, The TV only had anologue chanels, but who is there to watch TV? and if you are you can pay to view. Some of the free activities listed were not what we expected, yet fun anyway! The buffet breakfast was really good, I dont eat breakfast normally, and put on 5kg after our stay, it could have been a bit better, but they pull it off very well.
Unfortunatly, as many others have mentioned, the rest of the food is a HUGE let down. We went to the buffet dinners twice, both times the food in the buffet was not very nice (nothing like breakfast) and I ate the chicken nuggets and chips, disapointing, as I could have gotten those from any of the other two places. We went there on Pizza night - not very good Pizza and the roast night. The roast night did not even have gravey, who eats roast without gravey? well Im sure some people do, but its a must have to offer. I must mention here that I dont eat seafood, so I cant comment on that, I would hope it is great as the seafood should be very fresh. The Fish bowl is a bistro resturant had awesome design, but lacked variety, each time we went there, we got the same things as there just didnt seem to be anything else we would want to try, and the quallity of the food we did get was not very good.
Mermaids, VERY EXPENCIVE, however I loved the Pumpkin soup and the desert I ordered, both times the meal was a disapointment. the first was chicken, Im fussy so I just put it down to my fussiness. My partner ordered fish of the day and was very disapointed in it.The second time we both ordered steak, we were very spacific and ordered it extra well done, I know you wreck it (aparently) by having it well done, but I can not bare to eat meat that is even pink let alone still bleeding, besides Im eating it so if I want it crispy burned, then thats what I should get.
Unfortunatly, my steak was only brown on the outside, there was not a part on the inside that even tempted to look cooked, it litterally was red, and there was red blood on my plate, it still makes me sick to think of it. My partners was cooked okay apparently. So I was very disapointed with mine.
The childrens meals are litterally larger than the adults meals, I would have been happy with the chicken nugget type deal that my children got, it looked good and came with salad, I would not have been able to eat the chips, but nothing even similar is on the adults menu, and you are not allowed to order it if you are over 15 (I think it was 15) Also the lighting was VERY poor! I want to be able to see what Im eating. I want to know that my steak is still red before I have eaten two slices of it and it starts bleading everwhere!
I also noticed that none of the places to eat dinner offered a vegitarian meal, even the salad was the one with the bacon in it. Im not a vergitarian, but I noticed that.
We didnt find anywhere for a simple salad sandwhich for lunch either, but we were only on the island once at lunch time, and just ended up skipping lunch, due to not being able to find anything.

As for the staff, I found them really great! Unfortunatly the weedend staff and the weekly staff seem to be completely different. The weekly staff know what needs to be done and does it, the weekend staff are extremely friendly, but dont seem to be too keen on working. eg. The first time at Mermaids we were in and out in about half an hour. The second time we had waited over an hour for our first lot of food to come out, and there were about half the amount of people in the resturant. It was the last chance I would get to be able to see the sunset (as we had missed it everyday) and unfortunatly we missed it again that night.
The outdoor cinimar is a must expiriance, I wasnt too interested, I found myself asleep very early while we were there (so opposite to at home) so I did not feel like going down to the other side of the island at 7:30pm I was ready for bed (I know sad!) so we ended up watching a movie that was on earlier and it was way better than I expected. I dont normally like popcorn but even that was great! I really didnt think I would enjoy the outdoor cinemar but we all did!
The activities desk staff were awesome, week day or weekend, everytime we went there to book something, they did what ever they could to accomodate us, giving more than 100% I have never had someone try to deliver something so well Great going!!!
So in the end I would say excellent expiriance, So happy we went! really the only let down was the food, but as I said I put on 5kg from the breakfast, I was at the point where I just did not want to eat on some occassions! The pools were too cold for me, maybe some more spa's or heated pools would be nice, as only one spa was heated (they were both supposed to be - but the childrens one was as cold as the pool) but the kids liked the swim non the less.
I wish I had more time to relax there, but that was imposible with all I wanted to do, and entertaining the kids. But that was my choice not the islands choice.
I did miss out on a massage in the spa, as they were always booked, if you want a massage, book it before you go on your holiday.
Oh one last thing, this island is so neet, I looked arround on a few occassions and I never once saw a bit of litter or anything out of place like that, the only thing I did find was a cigarette butt once, and Im sure that would have been picked up as soon as staff saw it, great going staff!
If you want intimacy with your other half, maybe look elsewhere, this island does great as a family island and I wouldnt want them to change that.

Room Tip: Go the rooms on the top floor, they have an awesome view, I would not suggest the bottom floor as yo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Taint13
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

This was our 4th time to DayDream Island. Our children are 6 and 3 and absolutely love coming here. The pool area is fantastic and safe for children. While there are a few things that continue to disappoint (the poor food quality from the Fishbowl and Waterfalls restaurant, the now obvious cut back on staff/pool side service gone, no internet in rooms) it still is the most relaxing place we have stayed with our young chilren. The kids club is well set up, there is a playground and several pools to choose from. Mini golf, outdoor cinema, The Bali Boys - all great, always something for the kids to do. I highly recommend the Stingray Splashes - which was lots of fun and fascinating. I did this with my 6 year old. It was such a great experience. The rooms may be dated but they are clean and tidy and housekeeping comes everyday. While the Fishbowl and Waterfalls provides very average to way below average food, Mermaids Restaurant has a great menu and serves beautiful food. We ended up just eating there everyday. We still love this place after 4 years. We've done Fiji with the kids but we would still keep coming back to DayDream Island. In fact, we've given up trying anywhere else. Its not 5 star, there are things that should be improved but we always have fun and get plenty of relaxation. It works for us!

Room Tip: you have to book early if you want adjoining rooms for the kids or the suites, unless you go outside...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Natasha2010
Bowen, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We picked up a great 3 night deal from the caravan park we were staying at in Airlie Beach,

Nice welcome with efficient luggage service delivered to our rooms. We enjoyed walking around, the wildlife, the pools, the beach, the mermaids, mini golf and the cool club car transfer service between north and south Daydream Island.

Excellent staff service in all areas and the island was immaculate.

We struggled with all the kiddies behaviours and we moved tables several times trying to escape. The staff were sympathetic and helpful each time. Loved the buffet.

We tried to get a staff shirt but the dodgy bloke with the mo wouldn't sell. We had a great time. Loved the cruisers and took thousands of photos and videos.

We'd like to come back.

Room Tip: Get a balcony and get a room close to the outdoor spa or Splashes big pool bar, Tops.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DaydreamIsland, Guest Relations Manager at Daydream Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay on Daydream Island. I am always very happy to read such wonderful comments and to know that you enjoyed your stay and experienced so much that daydream has to offer

As you mentioned our Daydream Island uniform is quite unique and very easily identified so unfortunately they are not for sale.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Daydream Island Resort and spa in the very near future.

Kind Regards

#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
One&Only Hayman Island
One&Only Hayman Island
#1 of 1 in Hayman Island

Been to Daydream Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!