“One of the Best for location, service & food. It's in the details...”

Lizard Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lizard Island
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Summary: incredible island with amazing beaches and access to the wonders of the Barrier Reef. The food is the best that I have eaten at a resort. Worthy of 1 Michelin star or a Zagat rating of 24 to 25. Staff are friendly with western standards of 5 star service.

The island is the most Northerly of the resort island hotels and is close to some of the best parts of the barrier reef. I am a scuba diver and did a fantastic dive to "the Snake pit". Sounds scarier than it is and I recommend experienced divers try to do this dive. The "Cod Hole" is a regularly accessed dive trip from the island. Normally you see so much more scuba diving however the snorkeling is incredible. I have never been to a place where the difference between scuba and snorkeling is so small. The reef is shallow and the fish and reef are often less than a couple of feet below you. We snorkeled with turtles and all sorts of fish.
The beaches are incredible. You can take your own small boat out for the day or the staff will drop you off at a beach of your choosing. I preferred the drop off as the staff operated boat has a 100HP engine vs 6HP for the guest operated boats i.e. a big difference in speed.
As a guest you will be the only ones on a beach. This is paradise!

Next is the food. I have been to a number of high end resorts and most resorts are limited by the local food they can source. In a lot of remote places the food is good but not great. Every meal at Lizard was excellent and worthy of top restaurant fare.
Many island resorts around the world suffer from what I call "island time". Staff do not have the same concept of punctuality or pride in doing a good job as many of the guests that come from very business orientated cities. The staff at Lizard were excellent. People are very friendly and helpful and go out of their way to please. If you want to be picked up by boat from a beach at 1pm then they will be there at 1pm not 1.10pm.
It is these details that make a truly top resort in my opinion. The marine shop gives everyone their own snorkel and flippers for their stay. Mini bar is well stocked and free. Bathroom is stocked with good toiletries, towels. The beds are good.

All food and most alcohol is included in the price. Only if you want top wines do you pay extra.
The resort has Wifi at the business center if needed but this is the time to get away from that stuff! Rainy season is Jan to early April. We stayed in March with some passing and at times heavy rain. The island is in the tropics so the weather seems to pass quickly and it didn't affect our stay. It is not a cheap resort but when you consider meals and other services are included then it is not outrageous.
To access the resort requires a 1hr flight in a twin engine light aircraft which the resort organizes.
Departure is from the East Air building in the general aviation area of Cairns airport.

Room Tip: The Anchor Bay suites are great and right on the beach.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank nodrama1
There are newer reviews for Lizard Island Resort

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights in the Sunset villas and was treated like royalty from the moment we boarded the plane in Cairns. The food is fine dining and absolutely amazing. Great variety and perfectly prepared. We used one of the small boats and took a lunch picnic to one of the secluded beaches. It was like being the only people in paradise. There is a lot to do during the day and we loved climbing Cook's Look as well as walking around part of the island at low tide. We saw turtles, sharks, stingray and so many reef fish just by walking off the beaches and snorkeling. The staff made me feel very special on my birthday and we would definitely go back again. Only small negative is that the wi-fi is only at the pool area, and we could still use it, but it would be nice if it was available everywhere.

Room Tip: Try to arrive on the early flight and leave on the latest one to add nearly an extra day to your sta...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marlene P
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My wife and I came to this resort for our honeymoon about a year and a half ago. In hindsight, we should have stayed longer than 3 days because it was like living in paradise. Our favorite part was being to bring a small dingy out into the water with a packed picnic lunch. We snorkeled and explored some of the other beach areas. We found the staff friendly and attentive. We have no negatives aside from the fact you have to take a small plane to get there.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DTK721
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I was lucky to stay at the resort in October 2013. What an overall great experience! The stunning beaches, the coral reef, the many activities, the staff and... the FOOD! Overall couldn't have been happier! We arrived in Cairns and were picked up at the airport and flown by private plane over the Barrier Reef - STUNNING i cannot even explain the views from there, just breathtaking! Once on Lizard Island we were lucky to have amazing weather and we took advantage by renting a (free) dingy and exploring the island and the other beaches. I also took an organised tour of the barrier reef (expensive but worth it!!!) and enjoyed time on the beach right in front my bungalow where i sun tanned surrounded by beautiful nature and the odd (friendly!) lizard!!! A BREATHTAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL resort topped by the most amazing food i have had in a while!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank littlegabbygab
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Lizard Island is a very special place.

The many beaches are stunning, and the fact that you can choose more than one is great! We walked around the rocks from the main beach to the turtle beach exploring a few of them. This was not encouraged by the hotel, but we found it no trouble at all.

The food is amazing, really, I am a fussy person and I looked forward to every meal and the wine was also good.

The water is crystal clear and our scuba trip to Cod Hole was the most amazing diving experience I have ever had. I had not been a lover of diving, but now I can't wait to go back. On the return from the scuba trip we fed a nurse shark and a massive groupa which live around the main beach!!!! I couldn't believe they had been soo close when I had been snorkelling previously.

We stayed in the middle grade villa, I think it was called Sunset villa and it was okay. The resort is amazing in so many ways, but the rooms just had no 'WOW' factor. ( I only say this as I was comparing it to a recent holiday we had in Cambodia at Song Saa, where all grade of villas were a wow).

Had one or two complaints whilst there where on one dive to the 'cod hole' it had to be cancelled as the water was too rough for the snorkelers, (yet safe for us divers), so we had to go elsewhere. This was later rectified, however the incident should not have happened in the first place. The other complaint was the terrible internet service on the island. I will not bore you with the details, but the island needs to improve this service as when we visited the guest internet was not working whilst the reception internet was, yet we were not allowed to use it.

Having mentioned the small negatives, I would definitely go back to the island again. The staff are excellent and it ticks so many boxes. But if you have a work deadline whilst on holiday, perhaps don't go here until they have improved the internet.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2014

...if you remember the amazing Jacques Cousteau films and craving adventure then Lizard island is a must !

The journey began at a small airfield in Cairns and we travelled a deux with a young pilot in a 'plane called Kukaburra - what an incredible start to the adventure that proved to be. The flight allowed us to peer down over the barrier reef and get a sense of its vast beauty. A very warm welcome and refreshing drink awaited when we touched down.

We had opted for one of the Sunset Point villas as the blurb had suggested a greater degree of privacy. Overall, the villa was well designed and comfortable. However, the decking overlooked the next villa's decking so didn't quite do the job !

Dining was very good indeed and there occasional flashes of brilliance too The service in the restaurant was very good and the majority of the wait staff were charming, efficient and engaging.

A real treat was the availability of the sailing boats and a royally proportioned picnic lunch prepared before taking off to your own private beach. The pristine waters of the reef were perfect for hours of snorkelling and swimming.

I enjoyed an early morning walk (no, a strenuous trek) up to Cook's Look at the top of the island. It was a magical experience to look out over the ocean where Captain Cook once stood and charted his course out to sea through the amazing maze of reefs. The views along the way were spectacular. The sense of achievement at the top of the peak was palpable. I am now the proud owner of the Cook's Look certificate to prove I scrambled to the top. Early morning yoga classes were available and there was a small but functional gym.

It was a pity that not all members of staff upheld the high standards of the resort. We experienced a rather surly person who was obviously having an off-day. This should not happen at a 5 star resort. However.......

The location of this resort and the history is unique.

Standards are not in the league of other 5 star resorts such as Leela Palace, Al-Maha or Longitude 131 but a very worthwhile experience nevertheless

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cosmos57
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is the most beautiful spot in the world- fantastic to have nature around you and to also be simultaneously pampered with the best food and friendly service. The staff could not make you feel more welcome but without any stuffiness. Even when it rained the staff provided all sorts of activities we could do to keep us up with whatever we wanted to do (i.e. nothing, walks, snorkeling, reading)! cant wait to save the pennies and come back!

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful with fantastic views
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 32Jules

Been to Lizard Island Resort? Share your experiences!