“I can see the attraction”

Lizard Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lizard Island
Worcestershire
“I can see the attraction”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The previous recent reviews sum up nicely what to expect. You should not expect the kind of five star resort that you might find in a large city or somewhere like Dubai. The offering is simple, intimate, and well presented.
I found the accommodation to be good, but not amazing. The service was pretty good, and all of the staff were polite and attentive. I liked the informal approach, and being called by my first name. I travelled alone and it was great to have everyone greet me by name - wherever I happened to be on the island.
The food was very good.
The resort is very expensive and so when considering its value for money, things become quite difficult. If you were paying such high prices for the level of service , accommodation and food in a bog standard location you would quickly decide that there are much better opportunities elsewhere.
However - the location is far from bog standard. Its the location and setting that make the resort unique. Its a five star rating plus rating. The scenery is beautiful and the resort offers some pretty cool services. Where else can you easily get to an idyllic private beach (literally the only person on it) and enjoy a sumptuous packed lunch and selection of cold drinks, whilst sitting on pristine white sand, and then slip into the warm azure waters for some amazing snorkelling. These kind of things make Lizard Island quite special.

Is it worth the money? Would I pay a return visit?

I think it probably is, and I would be delighted to return again.

Room Tip: I had a garden room, but still had a sea view, balcony and hammock
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank whiskerxx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Lizard Island for 5 nights. My boyfriend proposed on the first night of our stay at a seven course degustation dinner on the beach - the staff were well aware of the upcoming proposal and assisted with the surprise - well done to all the staff (I had no idea!).

Lizard Island was unbelievably relaxing. Whilst some may complain of having no tv in the room and minimal wifi access (only available at the lounge), I actually think it's a great idea. This trip was the first time my partner relaxed and "switched off" almost instantaneously.

Another amazing aspect of this Island is the ability to snorkel the reef literally 20m off the beach. The fish were stunning - it was a surreal experience.

We also took the dingy on two occasions - we went to a secluded beach with a picnic and a bottle of champagne, whilst occasionally popping back into the ocean to snorkel - truly amazing. I don't think there are many places in the world you can do this.

The food was delicious. Three course meals, 5 star dining, wine at lunch and dinner - it couldn't get much better.

Finally, the service at Lizard Island was beyond our expectations. Everyone knew of our engagement and congratulated us, knew our name and nothing was ever a problem - they would go the extra mile to ensure our stay was exceptional.

After 5 nights, we didn't want to leave. It was such an amazing break for us and we hope to return in the near future.

Whilst it is expensive, it is well worth the money - the service, experience and location were beyond our expectations.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dace11
Bowral, Australia
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 5 nights in October
The weather was perfect and the water warm and clear.
We had intended to snorkel rather than scuba dive, but after watching the video of the divers at the Cod Hole, we booked a dive lesson.
We had a dive off the beach at the end of the lesson and then did the reef tour the next day . The scuba instructor was very patient with his terrified middle aged client and finally coaxed me under .The next day on the reef we had the same instructor looking after just 2 of us.
I truly thought I would never have this experience and am so grateful to have seen this beautiful part of the reef .
The snorkelling off the resort beaches is great and we borrowed a body suit to prevent sunburn.
We left Sydney at 9 am and were snorkelling by the end of the day.
The service was relaxed and professional .We enjoyed the meals and found that the chef was accommodating to requests for variations in the menu. We enjoyed the wine and the staff's recommendations .
There were yoga lessons for October , another first and we made use of the spa therapies.
It was great to leave the outside world behind and tell work they would be unable to contact us by mobile phone .
After our 6 days we were completely refreshed and relaxed and felt so lucky to have visited such a special place .
It is wise to book diving ahead .If you book an afternoon flight home you can still dive the full day reef tour the day before.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 14, 2013

While tempted to tell people to stay away for selfish reasons, the truth is that this is a great place. This was our third visit to Lizard (aka "the Rock") and it was every bit as good as our other visits. As expected, the accommodations, the food and the staff were fine. The location is perfect.

Room Tip: The Sunset Point Villas offer privacy and spectacular views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank The2TravelingFools
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We actually changed our hotel reservations to stay here--because it is actually on The Great Barrier Reef. And that's what we came for--to do exceptional snorkeling, right off the porch of our room the first afternoon. The resort has four beaches around the island, and will drop you off and pick you up as requested. We took a hop to Watson Bay where we were rewarded with incredible snorkeling of The Clam Garden and tons of fish along the Wall--including a Blue Linckia Starfish--which was a first for us. The next day we took a half day boat excursion, pricey, but we were able to get out further, although still within Inner Reef--most incredible snorkeling over coral gardens. The room is large (did have some trouble keeping air from freezing us out, but finally figured out system) great porch where you can recline, take in the scene and pinch yourself that you are actually staying on The Great Barrier Reef. Food in the restaurant is good, service is great--staff are friendly, very helpful in planning activities and just seemed to want to make your isit perfect.

Room Tip: We had Anchor Bay Room 23--at first I thought it was too close to Boat/Dive shop, but quickly learne...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JoAnn S
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is the most amazing location in the world. To be able to snorkel and swim right within the reef - or be dropped off to a private island with a designated pick up time and a picnic hamper is out of this world.
The food and wine is delicious (although room service would be nice). No wifi in the rooms.

Room Tip: Pay extra to upgrade to the bungalows on sunset beach... that way you have a balcony with a hammock...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jane A
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

As all the reviews have said, this is a truly magical place - a stunning island at the northern tip of the Great Barrier Reef, with exceptional snorkeling, beautiful private beaches and a very special food and wine experience to boot.

I came here with my English partner in June (his first trip to Australia) - we only had a few days so I splurged on a really special spot. It was a VERY expensive few days but in terms of the accommodation, location, food and reef experience it was worth every penny.

Unfortunately, our plane off the island had to be rescheduled due to mechanical problems, which meant we missed our connection to Sydney (and had to book an extra night in Cairns - thus missing our last night in Sydney). When I returned to the UK, I discovered that such internal missed flight connections are not covered by UK travel insurance, so I was left almost $600 out of pocket.

I contacted Lizard Island to try to negotiate some reimbursement of our costs - as I had booked my onward Cairns-Sydney flight in accordance with their online booking policy (they say to allow
2 hours between connecting flights) I think it is reasonable that they should at least share some (if not all) of the financial cost of the missed flights. Also, all our transfer flights had been booked (and paid for) through Lizard Island - not the flight operator.

I emailed THREE times before I got a reply from a member of their reception staff telling me that they could not help me. When I asked to escalate my concern to a manager, I had a single reply from the manager saying that she would look into it.

That was over two months ago now and although I have emailed the manager directly several times since then, I have not received any further correspondence.

I've been putting off writing this review hoping that I would be able to resolve this privately with Lizard Island, but it seems that their management are simply not interested. Perhaps people only ever come once to Lizard Island so they can't see the point of maintaining good relationships with former clients? Perhaps they don't think that $600 is all that much money (it is to me!)?

I must say I have had better customer experiences at Travelodge. I find it hard to believe I have been dealing with a 'luxury' resort.

It is a shame that such poor communication and management has clouded our memories of a beautiful holiday.

My advice would be to allow much more time when booking your connecting flights - ignore what the Lizard Island website says. Perhaps just book that extra night in Cairns and fly out the next morning - it's not a bad town!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank veuve_steph

Been to Lizard Island Resort? Share your experiences!