Lizard Island Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
All reviewsthe great barrier reeffishour honeymoonday tripplunge poolmini baronce in a lifetimewine listan amazing experiencebefore dinnerfood was fantasticspent daysyour doorstepincluded in the pricestunning locationworld classprawns
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 24, 2013

It's great to have enforced peace and tranquillity. One hour north of Cairns flying over the great barrier reef is just the beginning. There was plenty to do here and nothing to do! Just want we needed. Great beaches, plenty to see snorkling, optional trips to the outer reef, sailing,sups and kayaking. But most importantly tranquillity. Great food and service. Facilities are showing signs of consistent upgrade but not 5 star. But that's not what this place is about. It's VERY RELAXING. If you don't like it, then that's your problem. A great 4 day stay

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank toitoi53
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We visited Lizard Island in April and generally our experience was wonderful. The food was exquisite in every way; we were expecting incredible food and we were not disappointed at all. A huge congratulations to all chefs and food/beverage staff. The wait staff in the restaurants were also attentive, efficient and joyful to chat with. The restaurant staff, along with the Marine/beach staff were very informative about the island. We stayed in a Sunset Villa room and the view was just stunning. Late afternoons spent rocking in the hammock, sipping a wine and watching the sunset were magical. Our only issues were with the care of our room and the care of the staff to make you feel welcomed and special. The purpose of our visit was to celebrate my partner's big, milestone birthday. I made sure the staff new of this before our arrival but apart from a passing, "so, someone's had a birthday" from one staff member no one made any attempt to help make her feel special in any way. We have travelled extensively and were very surprised by this attitude. The care of the rooms was also a little haphazard. Some days we returned from a beautiful day snorkelling to find our room lacking - replacement of towels and re stocking of mini bar (mini bar is included in your daily tariff) incomplete. This was disappointing but did not ruin our holiday. Overall, we still had a marvellous time and would recommend this resort based on the stunning scenery, incredible food and relaxed and gentle pace found on the island. You don't have the crowds found on other Queensland Islands and this makes Lizard a truly relaxing place. The chance to unwind on your own private beach with fully stocked picnic was magical. A little more care of the basics, such as rooms, and the willingness to go the extra mile for guests will ensure that this resort will be world class.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank 12coco
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Long due review, but we stayed on Lizard Island for 4 nights in August 2012 following our destination wedding on Lizard's sister property, Wilson Island. All I can say is WOW! What a fantastic place. It is true paradise and luxury. We flew from the US, into Brisbane, then to Gladstone for Wilson, then back to Brisbane and up to Cairns to head to Lizard, but I'd do it again today if I could find the time! Getting to Lizard Island requires an hour flight from Cairns on a very small plane, which is somewhat expensive, but the views are awesome. We booked a Sunset Point Villa, which overlooks Sunset Beach and, of course, the sunset. We stayed in the furthest villa on the block. Each villa is actually one building that houses two rooms, but noise is never an issue. The villas are simple, but well appointed and spacious. Lizard Island includes all meals, most drinks, beach picnics and the minibar in the room. This all makes sense given the very steep price tag. When not doing a beach picnic or dinner, meals are served in Osprey’s, which is open air looking out toward the beach. The food was outstanding and the chef went out of his way to make sure my needs were met. He met with us to ensure it. The staff was like family (same with Wilson Island, too!) and they knew us by name the second we stepped foot onto the island. While on Lizard, we did a hike with the naturalist, Amber, to Cook’s Lookout, which is about 1200 ft up. The views were unreal. It was an open activity, but hardly anyone does it, so we had the naturalist all to ourselves. We also did a half day snorkel excursion in addition to the fabulous beach snorkeling. We did enjoy a massage at the spa, too. All of it was well worth it, in my opinion. Everything was just so wonderful that I can’t even describe it, other than as soon as my vacation time banks back up, we're planning a trip back, staying at least 5 nights, hopefully more, and doing even more snorkeling and visits to the spa.

Room Tip: The Sunset Point Villas are worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JellsieS
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Just off the Barrier Reef is a piece of Heaven called " Lizard Island". Put this on your " Bucket List " folks, you too can experience what Paradise looks like. The staff is what Kings and Royalties are pampered with. Your every wish is their comand. From picnics on a secluded island, yes I said it, Island! To a dinner by a Chef that may have worked for the Millionair Club. This place was fabulous and words dont do it justice. Experience this joy for yourselves, please!

Room Tip: My stay was right on the cliffs looking right over the ocean. This bungalow had a private pool and delights that you couldnt imagine!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Tommy M
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed on Lizard island for 5 days in the beginning of March 2013. Imagine fantasy island with Ricardo Montebalm and you have Lizard Island.

This is one of the best resorts we have ever stayed at. We felt like we were in a good friends home. The staff was attentive and interested in what we were doing on the island and how we were enjoying our trip.

We took a snorkeling trip to the outer reef. Our guide, Neil, threw a life raft in the water and told my wife to hang one. He pulled her and one and sometimes two others all over the best parts of the reef. This made the trip for my wife who is afraid of the water. We saw Neil several times during our stay and he always stopped to see how we were doing and to make sure that everything was okay One day we decided to snorkel off the beach and consulted Neil on where to do. He pulled up a boat and drove us to a great spot that they call the wall and arranged for a pickup an hour and a half later.

Now on to the food and wait service. Breakfast alternated menus every other day with about 4 selection on each. Lunch each day was three to four selections and was different every day. Supper was three to four appetizers and three to four entree's all different every night. The service was incredible, at lunch the first day we started with a glass of white. Just as I was about to finish my glass the waitress appeared to offer more. I passed saying I was going to go with a red for my main course; 30 seconds later a waiter appeared with the wine list asking which red I would like with my main course. In addition to the service being great, the Chef was incredible. All the meals matched anything we had eaten in sydney when we were paying $300 to $500 per couple. We had a special dinner on the beach with the Chef working with us to prepare a 7 course dinner with wine pairings. What a treat.

The wine selection was limited to about 5 whites and 5 reds, however each was delicious and all were included in the cost of the room.

This is not an inexpensive resort but as far as we were concerned worth every penny. We are already making plans to come back in about 3 years for our anniversary.

Thanks to everyone on the island for a wonderful vacation get away.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple