“not good for romance, better to visit as a day trip”

Green Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Green Island
London, United Kingdom
“not good for romance, better to visit as a day trip”
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Correction - we visited in Jan 2010. tripadvisor doesn't let me select before Feb 2010...

Disliked -
My husband booked this as part of our honeymoon. Compare to other places we went to on our honeymoon, this was a real disappointment in terms of romantic or chilled-out atmosphere. The place was filled with visitors during the day: children playing noisily in the pool, new arrivals snapping pictures. The island is very much catered to Japanese tourists, eg. all the signs are in English & Japanese. Somehow it was just really odd seeing Japanese signs everywhere and Japanese people everywhere.
I think because the island caters to lots of daytime visitors and family holidays, lots of facilities, for example lunch places are quite disappointing, offering family-friendly cheap fares such as burgers, fries, pizza, which was not to my taste. Overall the daytime atmosphere was commercialized and very touristy.

Liked -
The island is beautiful. Lots of activities to do. I have terrible seasickness but still went snorkelling out in the reef and do not regret it. We enjoyed several walks around the island, did kayaking, snorkelling some more, watched the sunrise one morning which was really nice. On the last day I enjoyed a blissful massage and facial. The spa staff was particularly friendly and attentive. The rooms are very clean and no complains about service throughout stay.

In the evening when the day visitors leave, the atmosphere is a lot nicer and the evening meal is also much more appetizing.

Overall I would not recommend staying on the island. I think visiting during the day is a much better option, especially given the premium price paid to stay and the short journey from Cairns. Maybe staying is worth it for families, but for anyone who seek a good beach holiday to unwind and relax, this place lacks the atmosphere to do so.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2010

My adult son and I very much enjoyed our 4 night stay on Green Island. My main desire was to snorkel extensively...and that I did. The fish and some coral that can be seen only 50-100 metres off the beach made me instantly realise that I had made the right choice of holiday! I also swam with turtles and sting-rays in the areas on each side of the jetty. If you have difficulty walking on sand (as I do due to mobility problem) it is useful to know that there are 2 sets of steps with excellent handrails that deliver you straight into the water at the edge of the patrolled beach. Especially good to use at high tide. We also enjoyed a trip to the Outer Reef (Norman Reef). There was lots of spectacular coral there, and an occasional Reef Shark.All staff at Green Island were very approachable, friendly and welcoming.I did not have any issue with the day trippers, it made Green Island a resort with two lives! The breakfast buffet was tremendous, lunch was so so and dinner was of a high quality, but no real option to be economical. 2 courses for 2 and a drink each was approx $110 each night. The fish feeding was a very enjoyable/amazing experience. Our room, looking onto the guest pool was spacious, quiet, impressively clean, with 2 very comfortable beds. I have no complaints about my stay....hope to return there as soon as practical and would emphatically recommend this as a holiday location for adults. The cost of accommodation and food plus the lack of provision for activities for children during dinner or evening, means it would probably only be suitable for a very short stay with children under 'teens.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Suefifty2
London
Reviewed November 1, 2010

i spent 4 days on the island and felt utterly relaxed. there isn't much to do and that was just fine by me (although a bar open in the evening would be useful to meet other people/couples).The hotel was lovely, the room was very clean, modern and not at all grotty (not always the case with this type of resort...). the staff were helpful and always made you feel special. Snorkelling was great and the outer reef trip a treat (as you arrive there, skip the food (not missing anything) and jump in the water to make the most of it. take the advice re. suits, they're free to hotel residents and make you float...). Do not miss the sparkling wine moment at 5pm on the island. A few negatives: from a selfish point of view i would have preferred not to have so many day trippers on the island. Some days were not too busy but my 3rd day was partly spoilt by rude and noisy groups of people on the beach. It is a shame as this place could have gone the other way and catered exclusively for residents, then again the prices would have been much higher and i would not have been able to afford it... the booking times of the restaurant could also be extended as all later dining slots were mostly taken by italians (who tend to eat late, in groups and quick at booking...). Eating at 6pm when there is little to do after isn't much fun...However, on a last and positive note: a special notice for those like me who are petrified of spiders: i saw none, neither inside or outside, not a leg, which is a miracle considering where it is!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Cork
Reviewed October 28, 2010

Green island is a beautiful spot . We left on an early boat from cairns to green island it was packed full of day trippers but was pleasant enough on the roof with the sun and the surrounding sea. It takes about 40 minutes to get to green island , on arrival we were separated from the day trippers , given itineries for activities and shown to our room. Our room had a christams wreath on the door and was very welcoming, it was one of the nicest hotel rooms I have stayed in , spacious, lovely decor, nice fluffy white robes, a view over the pool. We didn't stay long in the room as we had a day tour booked and paid for but when we went down to do it,the beach was just too gorgeous so we decided to skip the jam packed day tour and sit on the beach. When we went into the sea it was beautifully warm but we did have to wear stinger suits provided as these are recommended. There was plenty of sea life but not much coral, it's real relaxing on the beach as it is quitenonce the day trippers leave. Just before sunset nibbles and champagne are laid out at the beach which was great and we were able tonsit at the water edge and watch loads of turtles stick there heads above the water for air.they also do fish feeding in the evening where we saw loads of fiSh including sharks! After dinner,which was fab every night,we did a night walk where we saw sharks, turtles and above all a dugong which was a real pleasure.they also have an underwater viewing platform. When you are In snorkelling there are plenty of sting rays to see in the water too. I must say I loved the place, great beach ,great room, great sea life and great food but I will note there was a nappy left on the beach by day trippers which was not cleaned up for over a day and also I heard one woman complain that her breakfast was not fresh so maybe we were just lucky.please don't hesitate to book this place for a relaxing weekend away you won't regret it!

• Stayed December 2009
1 Thank Corknomads
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed October 26, 2010

spent 3 nights here with a friend. the resort is small , well appointed and set among the rainforest on Green Island. It is very busy in the day time with day trippers yet the actual resort has spaces far away from the crowds. When the day trippers leave, all the activities stop and the place relaxes and takes on a different atmosphere. There is lots to do if you wish , even evening nature walks into the forest and along the beach. We saw a lot of marine creatures but no dugong! The food was wonderful and fresh, lots of seafood. The staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank lankalass
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Just a quick review I guess to advise any would be travellers to this diamond in the sea, to open your minds and enjoy what a special place this is. It's got the heat, sunshine, warm/hot Ocean, jelly fish, rainforest, crocodiles, stunning reef, awesome staff, tantalizing food, luxurious bed and room, did I mention the glorious humidity ......but then it is Tropical Nth Queensland.... In short I have stayed heaps of times up here during winter, summer, spring, Autumn, Cyclone seasons and I still cant get enough, GET OFF YOUR COMPUTERS AND GET TO GREEN ISLAND AND LIVE LIFE WITH AN OPEN MIND....! have fun I always do.
Ciao

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed October 6, 2010

The resort rooms were great. However the resort is on an island which you can walk around in 30 minutes, and the resort permits 2500 day trippers to visit each day. all activities are designed to maximize the dollars spent by the daytrippers. There is little or no private area for the guests, It reminded me of being in Waikiki, Hawaii

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank millerjr
LisaKrause, General Manager at Green Island Resort, responded to this review, October 13, 2010
The rooms are great thank you and the soft refurbishment for all rooms is nearly complete. We’re sorry to learn some aspects of your island experience were not positive though. As the only resort operating on Green Island, we have just 46 guest rooms, however the island is a national park that allows locals and tourists to visit with cruise operators during the day. School holidays as you may have noticed are popular. Fortunately the number of visitors to the island is controlled/restricted by Queensland Parks and Wildlife, something we fully support.
We hope you were able to experience some of the special complimentary activities like fish feeding, sunsets drinks and night walks which are scheduled after 4pm to enjoy the peaceful environment. As such after the day-trippers leave, the resort aims to offer a great private island feel without that private price.
Best Regards
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
Hilton Cairns
Hilton Cairns
#5 of 64 in Cairns

Been to Green Island Resort? Share your experiences!