“Lovely and Relaxing place to stay on Fraser”

Kingfisher Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fraser Island
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I read the review after making a reservation for a room over Easter holiday. Many negative reviews regarding the resort room and restaurant. Once I arrived to the resort, I feel very relaxing. I did the an hour great walk from the hotel, which is really awesome. Unfortunately, on the check out date, my luggage did not come to the mainland with the ferry. I spoke to the reception at mainland to find out about my bag. The answer is my bag is still sitting in the room as no one has checked in since I checked out. She promised to get the bag on next ferry and the shuttle bus would drop the luggage at the hotel I stayed at hervey bay by 10pm. I waited till 10pm, nothing happened so I called Kingfisher Bay, the reception on island said my bag is till at the island as the 8.30pm ferry left the barge before time!!!!! I received another promise by another reception. He said the bag will go with the last ferry and someone will drop the bag at hotel by midnight. I asked anything better, he could do for me. He said this is the best he could do!!! This is really nice!!! I decided to sleep as it was a big day for me and next morning I have a flight at 7.30am (could not sleep well as worry about the bag). I woke up at 6am and call the reception at the hotel I stayed on hervey bay, the reception had not received anything. I called back to Kingfisher resort again and asked where is my bag, the guys told me that my bag had been gone with the 11pm ferry and I supposed to received it by last night!!! ... I finally had to go and collect my luggage myself on the way to hervey bay airport....Apart from this problem, I have no complain as the resort itself is lovely and the food at sand bar is tasty and reasonable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kingfisher Bay Resort

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed at the resort with my friends on the 30th march for one night, located at very good spot great room with good food. However the hotel lacks proper customer service as they have a lot of third parties dealing with them for various services and does not communicate with them effectively to make a guest trip peaceful and hassle free. I had to chase them up for 3 days for being double charged for the 4 wheel drive that I hired for the trip and this has been still not resolved as for some reason they cannot track back the charges that were on my room/credit card. Being a part of hospitality industry this is totally unacceptable by me.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank sushenm2015
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Not enough staff at reception for checkin and checkout on Easter Sunday morning created frustration for both guests and staff. They know exactly when guests are arriving and departing. An Eco resort with nice clean spacious rooms, air conditioning but no fans. Fantastic pool area and good restaurants.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
WKahl, General Manager at Kingfisher Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear LyndaB B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of you recent stay with us at Kingfisher bay resort.

I note your comment in regards to check in and check out, you are correct in stating that we are aware of the number of guests arriving and departing the resort at these times.

With the barge arrivals and departures times close together we do have a large number of guests needing assistance during these times and as such we are continuously developing ways to ensure that our processes ensure speed for the guests such as express check out facilities for departing guests to reduce their time completing checkout, Especially during the busy periods of the year.

Please accept my apologies if these processes were slower than anticipated.

Thank you for your positive comments in regards to our rooms and amenities

We wish you well on your future travels.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were booked in for two nights in a "Cooloola Villa" and having stayed at the resort before were really excited about our upcoming weekend. We arrived at lunch time on Friday and were immediately dissapointed with the meal situation. One item ordered was not available at all and others were missing ingredients (try a salad with no tomato, only lettuce, capsicum and red onion) or condiments. We later ordered a bucket of Beers and Prawns for Sunset at the Jetty Hut only to be told there were no prawns. Breakfast was dissappointing and in our opinion overpriced. The fiasco with the meals continued all weekend culminating with a steak sandwich that under cooked that the blood soaked the bread. Some of the staff were great, particularly Jacinta at the Sand Bar. I think the most interesting thing is that two letters of complaint have not been acknowledged by the resort.

Room Tip: Go for a Self Contained Villa so you can prepare your own meals.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul G

Paul G,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay in February, I note that this is your first tripadvisor comment.

It is good to receive feedback from guests from the local area.

Please be assured that I have asked our Executive Chef to follow up on the food comments that you have made regarding sandbar and in regards to the Prawns at the jetty hut as these are served daily and as such are in supply continuously.

I have reviewed your comment in regards to letters of complaint and would again assure you that if these had been received than I would have responded to these personally, to date I have not received anything regarding you stay.

Could I please request you contact me directly regarding these letters on resort_manager@kingfisherbay.com.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at the resort for 3 nights with the family and had an awesome time.
The rooms were pretty standard and had a nice view of the surrounding water.
The resort's pools are amazing, it's worth a day to just sit drinking cocktails, poolside.
We went on the Beauty Spots Tour, which was hands down the highlight of the Easter long weekend.
The tour guide, Les, was very informative even though he had a strong Aussie accent.
The tour provided a swim at Lake McKenzie, which was very nice. The sand supposedly is an anti-ageing solution.
The resort's restaurant, Seabelles, serves quality food. The food selection is minimal however screams quality.

The only downside of the trip was the slow check-in process. The resort is understaffed in that regard.

Highly recommended! :)

Room Tip: The resort incorporates the image of eco-tourism. The resort provides $15 credit towards their tours...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed there for 5 nights. Upon arival we were told by someone who had no idea what they were doing and had a trainee badge on ( but not being trained ) that they have lost our key. We were then advised to go to our room and wait for the cleaners to let us in. 15-20 min later someone eventually arrived to let us into a room that smelt like someone died in. I went back to the office and asked to see a manager. A manager then came out, I explained the situation and the reply was " oh well I can get you on the next ferry out then " instead of trying to fix the issue. By far the rudest staff member here. I had to ask him numerous times to stop being defensive and help us find another option. After that he eventually found us a room with a key and no stench. Overall the resort is ok, but the reception staff are the worst I have ever delt with, either by phone or in person. If they fixed the poor staff attitude and outdated amenities, it would be great. There are also really nice staff there such as a young bloke called Steven in the mahino restaurant had a great attitude that would be best adopted by the reception staff.
Fraser Island is excellent. Great things to see and do but don't see or do this place. Can not reccomend to anyone nor would we ever return.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Npw1977
WKahl, General Manager at Kingfisher Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Npw1977,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay.

I note your comment in regards to the key being misplaced to your accommodation in our privately owned villas and I am disappointed with the time it took to have the door opened for you, please be assured that we have actioned your comments accordingly and I have personally spoken to our Front office manager to ensure that this procedure is reviewed and improved.

In regard to the smell in your first room this has also been actioned personally by our executive Housekeeper, please accept my apologies for this the area has had a large amount of rain on the past weeks which has affected the dampness levels in a small number of villas.

In regards to your comment about the service you received on the front desk I have reviewed our operations log from your arrival day and have noted that the Front desk manager offered you an alternative Barge time as you wanted to leave the Island if we could not find alternative accommodation at the resort.

It is disappointing that you failed to mention in your comments that the manager in question personally showed you to alternative accommodation and spoke to you at length to ensure that you were happy with the new room allocation; I trust this was the case as you have not noted any further comment on this.

I am unable to provide any comment in regards to your comment about the overpriced and out-dated amenities, please be assured we are more than comparable with other Queensland Island resorts in regards to pricing and amenities and have carried out refurbishments of our pool and lobby areas in the last 12 months as well as the introduction of new guest activities Such as Segways and Paddle boards.

We wish you well on your future travels.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the resort and had a great time!
The rooms are very spacious with a nice view. Beautiful pool area!
We did one of the day tours of the island which was great!
Got to see 2 dingoes and we also went swimming in lake Mckenzie, which was very nice.

In the evening we tried kangaroo, emu and crocodile in the restaurant, and also some great cocktails made by Bruno in the bar.
Our stay could´t have been better!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Oceans Resort & Spa Hervey Bay
Fraser Island Retreat
Fraser Island Retreat
#4 of 4 in Fraser Island

Been to Kingfisher Bay Resort? Share your experiences!