“Do NOT use this company!”
Review of Sunrover Tours

Sunrover Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: With over 25 years experience, let Sunrover cater a tour to meet your needs. From camping to 5 star accommodation, day tours to 5 day adventures we have a tour to suit every taste & budget.
Reviewed January 29, 2013

On the 7th August I went on the 2 day tour to Fraser Island. We were originally due to be travelling to Moreton Island on the 6th, but the tour had to be cancelled, and so they offered us the Fraser Island one instead. If I had known how terrible the Fraser Island tour would be I would have definitely asked for a refund and made our own way to Moreton Island - even if it had cost us a lot more! There were several aspects of the tour that made it two of the worse days I have ever had.

The sleeping bags that we were provided with were incredibly thin, and most of them were broken. They were not even vaguely suitable for the weather conditions, as my boyfriend had to have 3 and was still freezing! The whole camp was complaining about how cold they were in the morning.

There were not enough mattresses for everyone on the trip and two people had to share one.

The food prep facilities were incredibly dirty, and the washing up was basically non-existent!

There were people (including guides) who were smoking in the food area. Being a non-smoker I do not want to be around people smoking, but this was the only place we were able to sit, and it was incredibly unpleasant.

The tour itinerary itself was also really bad. We were dumped in a couple of places and told we had to do something there whilst our guide disappeared off. The time we had in each place was nowhere near long enough for us to actually do anything either! In one place we were expected to do a 5km walk and swim in 45 minutes! We didn't get the chance to actually enjoy ourselves at any of the locations because of this. There was also very little for us to do.

The set up of the vehicles was terrible and people need warning of it in advance. There are 11 people to a standard Toyota Landcruiser with 10 people sitting sideways on bench seats in the back with the other person in the front seat. There are a lot of people who are unable to travel sideways as it causes bad travel sickness. I am one of these and so had to sit in the front seat on my own which meant that I had a very boring time. However, I am glad that I at least had a 3 point seatbelt and a headrest. If we had had a crash, everyone in the back would be in a very real danger of breaking their necks. Not to mention the fact that the vehicle was not roadworthy to start with as there was a crack in the windscreen which was longer than my forearm!!

However, these things pale in comparison to the state of our tour guide Brendan (on the other terrible reviews he is also known as Eugene)! I have NEVER in my life been so scared to be in a vehicle as when he was behind the wheel!! He drove at several kms above the speed limit everywhere! As an example of this, a journey which should have taken us 1hr40mins according to google maps was done in 50mins. However, speed was often the least of my concerns, as he was also a severe tailgater and had terrible roadrage. If there was any vehicle in the road ahead of him, he would flash his lights repeatedly, drive up very close behind the vehicle, and keep darting out of lane making obscene gestures to the vehicle in front to get them to move off the road. He would even undertake vehicles using parking bays, and overtake when vehicles were coming in the other direction. I was so scared for my life the entire journey that when I got out, I had aching muscles. He would also use the phone whilst he was driving, which is bad enough when you are driving within the rest of the law, but when you are driving like a lunatic, this is just incredibly scary for everyone in the vehicle.

His bad driving didn't just extend to the mainland roads, when he was doing the 4wd "experience", he was just as scary as he would tear down the roads at around 100kmph despite the limit being 50 and we would be completely unable to see anything that we were passing. It was incredibly uncomfortable hitting the bumps at the speeds he did, not to mention dangerous.

He was also a terrible tour guide. I felt like a complete inconvenience the entire time. When we were in Noosa, a couple of people wanted to get some water so popped quickly across to the shop, but when our guide came to the bus, he slammed his foot down, drove over to the shop, jumped out of the car and started banging loudly on the shop window yelling at them to get back in the car. This meant I was worried the entire trip in case we missed any of his deadlines, as he got so angry about it! I understand that he had a timetable to follow, but a minute or two wouldn't effect the day! It felt to me like we were getting in the way of his fishing trip, and it was a real inconvenience that he had to take us places. He didn't do any "guiding" at all as we didn't learn anything about the island or any of the places we visited. On the rainforest walk, he was obviously being forced to say something before he let us go, as he walked off when we got to the site and we were expected to just follow him (he hadn't told us anything!). He then told us about a couple of the trees, but then jumped back into his car and left us. Wherever we went, he would just abandon us to go off fishing.

I am incredibly upset about the whole experience and wish, as I said above, that I had not done it at all. I would rather spend a lot more money than spend 2 days being afraid for my life!

3  Thank black_sax

Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

We have just arrived from a 2 day/ 1 night camping tour with sunrover and we had a fantastic time. The island is beautiful, great scenery and wildlife. Our campsite was lovely and clean. Our guide Russell was amazing! It was great hearing about all the facts and history of the island and aboriginal culture. I really felt that we got more from him than we would have with any other tour guide/company. We saw everything on the itinary and more.
I loved everything, the bumpy 4x4 ride, the swimming in beautiful lakes, the dingo pups we got to stop and watch! It was a truly fabulous couple of days that was everything i had hoped for and more.
I would highly recommend sunrover. And Russell!!!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have just returned to work in Sydney after a short 6 day trip to Queensland with my teenage daughter. After visiting friends we joined the 3 day 2 night camping tour to Fraser Island. The tour was excellent and a great way to mentally relax. We had a very friendly group and a great guide, Vince. In spite of losing nearly 3 hours on our first afternoon through no fault of our own (we were stuck behind a bogged bus) Vince made sure we saw all the sights we were due to see on the tour and was very flexible with the tour itinerary to suit us all and added a short stop at Noosa Beach at my request.
I am abit surprised with other comments on this site regarding the vehicles Sunrover uses. While they are certainly not the most comfortable vehicle we felt they are fine. We liked the layout of the van and small group size which enabled everyone to get to know each other better.
As others have said the campsite was very good - grassy, good amenities, fenced and the Sunrover area is well covered with tarps providing both sun and rain protection.
The island itself has so many stunning sights and the 3 day tour enabled us to see many of them. Thanks Vince for being so friendly, informative and of course such a competent driver. We both had a wonderful time.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

It’s very hard to impress me, especially when it comes to tours, but our trip to Fraser Island with Sunrover tour guide Peggy exceeded my expectations. My fiancée and I took a one day tour this past Saturday, and it truly was one of the best days of my life. We did read some negative reviews about Sunrover on tripadviser before booking the tour - most people seemed to be complaining about Sunrover’s cars, which we didn’t really care about (what would you expect from a trip to the largest sand island in the world – a limo driver wearing a tuxedo?), but because there were no other companies in the area that would arrange a pick up from Brisbane, we decided to give it a try. It was worth every penny.

Peggy is such a great guide with unparalleled knowledge of the island and such an enjoyable person to be with. She is very friendly and enthusiastic with an amazing ability to communicate and connect with people (we had two other couples travelling with us – they spoke very little English, but it was quite obvious that they enjoyed the tour) . We spent over 15 hours in her company chatting about the island and other things. She made the whole trip truly unforgettable.

Lake McKenzie is the most beautiful lake I have ever seen in my life. It was worth the five hour drive one way to get there (it was quite bumpy at times which we really enjoyed – real Australian safari!). We didn’t manage to spend too much time on the beach because it was a one day tour, but it was just enough to enjoy the lake with its crystal clear water and pure white sand beach (and two dingoes watching us from the dunes LOL). We also enjoyed the 75 mile beach and North Shore/Rainbow beach where we made a couple of extra stops to take photos.

Thank you so much for such a wonderful time and being such a great guide, Peggy! If we ever come back to Brisbane to take another tour to the island, we will most definitely make a special request for you to be our tour guide! We can’t imagine going there with someone else!

Best regards,
Philip

Reviewed January 3, 2013

With my family and two friends we had a very nice two days trip to Fraser Island in the beginning of december. We had a lot of fun with our tour guide Chizo.

2  Thank ManfredMutterstadt
SunroverRob, Manager at Sunrover Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your tour with us.
Thank You for taking the time to post.

I will pass on your feedback to Chizo. (Sean)

Kind Regards,