“Great quick break!”

Fitzroy Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fitzroy Island
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I took my mum to Fitzroy Island for a nights escape. I'll start by saying that we took advantage of a very good deal on the resorts website.

After initially checking in to a studio apartment, we found it a bit small for the two of us.. For a couple it would have been acceptable, but not for mother (64) and son (39). We went to reception who were professional and friendly and we upgraded to a one bed suite.

We had to get an extra bed, as the bedroom was a double. Plenty of space to put the fold away in the lounge.

The suite was well furnished and exceeded our expectations. It had everything you needed for self catering.

The only let down was the dining experience in the main dining room. We arrived at 6.45pm and left at 9pm.. It was a two course meal, and honestly no one came past our table to ask if we were ok, offer us more drinks or check on us. It was over an hour wait after the starters were taken and we got our main course. We also were unable to get a dessert of our choice as the freezer was broken and no I've cream.

We would also have liked to see some activities after dark. Saying that, we would return here for a relaxing holiday at some point.

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank jakin4

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Before I start I have to say that I (as stupid as this sounds) thought I had done my homweowrk on the place, and yet I still was not 100% sure what I was to expect.

So to make life easier for you consider this:

Fitzroy Island is a very small piece of land heavily covered by tropical plants and containing just the one resort. The resort consists of a bunch of suites (logically), there are no fitness facilities, just a couple of pools (the lap pool doesn't seem to be used at all), a large bar area some 30 or so metres to one side for both food and drink, one decent restaurant, and a small okay equipped general store. THAT IS ALL, do not expect anything else. There is a dive shop where you hire gear, a room converted (poorly) into a cinema, and a raft of rooms that are either dilapidated or not used.

Now to The good: I loved Fitzroy Island for the good things such as; relatively clear water, great walks (the Summit is challenging but well worth it), the free cinema (as low rent as it was), the seemingly significant solitude, the open air restaurant and bar.

In fact when we arrived on the fastcat I was both quite excited and concerned at the same time. I am no princess, however with every other island I have travelled to you are normally greeted with some degree of fanfare, some excitement, smiling faces, a cold drink, whatever. You are then taken to your room and your bags follow.

Not so at Fitzroy. You rock up and like sheep get in line to book in with staff that are just 'ok' in the personality stakes. You're given a room key and directions and sent on your way; bags in tow. In other words you are left to your own devices. Not the best of starts.

But then we open the door to our Ocean View Suite and I have to say I was almost gobsmacked. It looked magnificent, beautifully furnished, wonderful feel. It looked like it had everything you could possibly want. But then reality set in.

Before moving on though let me say that I booked Fitzroy with a Groupon deal for 4 nights. It appeared to be a great deal as it included breakfast and a bottle of sparkling for just $639. I was truly happy with that.

So from a cost perspective I am looking at this wonderful room thinking I have scored a great deal. And it would have been if not for the fact that on no less (no exaggeration) than five (5) occasions I had a cold shower. I advised the staff about the lack of hot water to no avail. So be it. But what about the fact that the A/C didn't work in the bedroom, there were no fewer than 3 blown light globes, the great looking island sink proved a trip to nowhere as there was no area or facility to place wet dishes, washing anything under the tap resulted in almost every case, water splashing onto the floor thanks to a stupid design.

Okay, so we have some room issues, but that is not the end of the world. No, but it gets better (or worse, depending on the way you look at it). Dirt of the unwashed kind was everywhere. A weird description perhaps, however what I am relating to is this; either there are not enough staff, or the staff simply have no interest in hard work.

Over the years I've been to several tropical places and I can assure you than none - NONE - were anywhere near as dirty as Fitzroy Island. The rooms were acceptable but with various rusty metal areas in the bathroom, marked floors, ripped (I mean seriously ripped) couch, the balcony which was nice to sit and have a beer on, but only one light worked and one of the chairs was dilapidated to the point of almost falling apart.

Getting back to cleanliness, man oh man, the hallways, the stairs, areas behind the main facility, on the tracks (workers leaving lots of rubbish behind), in fact all over the place it honestly made me think that people either don't give a rat's cahootie or that there are not enough hours to complete the tasks needed to ensure a supposed 4.5 star facility remains a 4.5 star facility.

Breakfast. mmmm, interesting. It was good, I can't say to the contrary, other than to suggest that the hugely fatty bacon strips (no fillets at all) were standard fare each morning. Likewise the food offered was insanely repetitive.

Being aware that the cost of food in the main restaurant was high, my wife and I made a decision to bring with us enough food to ensure we got through much of the time without spending too much on expensive dinners. please note that Fitzroy is NOT a BYO island - they do not accept alcohol being brought onto the island. You have to pay inflated Island prices.

Anyway, we did indulge in one buffet and it was genuinely terrific. No complaints.

But here's the thing. Having read about the dirt, the faults, no hot water and so forth, you would think okay, if I was to pay full price for a stay here, what do I actually get? And is it worth it? I would say a profound NO. Look, there's some nice coral and lots of fish to peruse, but to do this properly you have to hire the equipment. Are you kidding? 2 x snorkels, flippers and stinger suits (due to the concern about jellies) cost us $50 for 24 hours!

I could go on, like how even though when booking in the assistant advised we had an upgrade, but then when going to leave they wanted to charge us an additional $396 for an upgrade we purportedly asked for.

The bottokm line:If you are happy to accept mediocrity at a high price, then Fitzroy Island is for you. If you expect quality, go somewhere else.

19  Thank cuspub
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We recently spent our 20th wedding anniversary on Fitzroy Island for a lovely 4 nights. It was very restful and we did very little which was perfect. We had a room with a kitchenette which was a bit of a waste as we could not carry many groceries and the shop on the island is very limited. The island is beautiful and the staff were amazing. Our room had lovely thick curtains so we slept late each day which was very unusual for us. Four nights was plenty as only having two places to eat would be a little limiting if like me you don't eat fish or seafood. The snorkelling off the beach in front of the bar was the best while we were there. We were a little disappointed that after a wedding on the weekend the island ran out of some foods and drinks but this was minor. The island is licensed so you can't take any alcohol but can buy takeaways from the bar. It was a little more expensive but hey, you're on an island. If you don't want to do much this is the perfect place for it.

1  Thank Peach14
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I recently went to Fitzroy island for our anniversary and we had an amazing stay.

It was exactly what we needed, sunbathing, swimming, cocktails and snorkeling.

There is one restaurant and one bar on the island, the food and drinks are pricey ( a bottle of wine i get at the local supermarket for $15 was sold here for $40) but I guess you would expect that.

The bar has a great atmosphere overlooking the water, beer wasn't too pricey and they have this amazing dips and bread that we ate every day! It is bar food though and it is on a tropical island so I would strongly suggest to stay away from the steak. after asking 3 times for medium rare it still came out well done, and listed as a 300gm it was only about 200gm. For the price I would have thought they would take a little more care.

The restaurant food however is amazing, delicious and great quality, I can't fault it! oysters fresh, scollops to die for and decadent desserts. My husband and I arranged a private table down on the beach front for our special night and the staff were extremely accommodating.

The staff were all extremely friendly and happy to answer any questions or just have a chat.

The room was basic, but I don't know why other people have complained, you don't go to a tropical island to sit in your room. it was clean and modern.

The beach was fantastic for swimming and snorkeling, the waters so clear, we saw a sea turtle and a blue spotted stingray :)

The track up to the summit was harder than we expected, you definitely need to be fit!

We would also highly recommend the turtle tour, it's a charity to save injured turtles and only $5!

It's a fantastic Island for rest and relaxation but I would love it if they had a day spa there, we would have loved a massage!

1  Thank Tanya H
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Great island to visit. We got the boat ride with lunch and snorkel equipment. Lunch was pretty adequate - sandwich, fruit bar, fruit, juice, water - had leftovers as it was a lot. The water is a little bit unclear but you do get to see a lot of cool fish if you go out just a little ways from the shore. Nudey Beach is a nice white sandy beach. There are a few hiking/walking trails that we wanted to follow along for a longer time (but ran out of time). Very quiet and relaxing.

Make sure to check out the fish around the dock when you unboard and board!

1  Thank Penny L
Reviewed November 5, 2013

When we stepped off the ferry we could not believe what our eyes were seeing. Spacious and beautifully clean foyer, great customer service only too pleased to answer all questions. Then into our fully self contained apartment with ocean veiws. You open the door and before you is a large apartment complete with everything and at the end of the room was the ocean view we had been promised. The rooms extremely quiet and lavish in furniture and accessories.
We had a trip on a glass bottom boat and snorkelled to our hearts content. If you don't like sea water well there was also the choice of 2 pools. Food in the Restaurant was beautiful.
Would have no hesitation in reccomending this property.

1  Thank Wendy S
Reviewed November 3, 2013

POSITIVES:

The island itself is stunning, truly island paradise. The whole resort feels really special and serene.

Great walks up to the island lighthouse and summit.

On a calm day the snorkeling is good, especially near the rocks and further out where the visibility under water is higher.

The rooms are modern and luxurious (we stayed in an ocean suite, 214) its just a shame they aren't well kept.

The little shop has all the basics and isnt overpriced at all.

NEGATIVES:
The room smelled fusty and old, bad asthma sufferers.

Room cleanliness was poor. Particularly the bathroom and kitchen.

Air con permanently set to 24 degrees so couldn't get rid of the humid musty air.

Ants everywhere in the kitchen despite no food there. We were prewarned that ants can migrate through apartments and its natural. But receiving 17 bites wasnt nice.

Some lights in the bathroom didnt work so it was very dark.

Given the price of the hotel you'd think the transfer from Cairns would be free for hotel guests but its is $70 each.

You'd also think snorkeling gear would be free but no its and extra $15 per person per day.

We went to see the fish feeding twice under the bridge but no-one turned up to do it.

TIP: Hotel's Glass bottom boat tour is $10 more expensive per person than the raging thunder one and its exactly the same.

Restaurant/bars shut by 9.30pm because the island occupancy was low. Luckily we had a laptop and a couple of movies we could entertain ourselves with.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
#6 of 63 in Cairns
Green Island Resort
Green Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Green Island

Been to Fitzroy Island Resort? Share your experiences!