“Great apartment spoiled by musty smell” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fitzroy Island Resort

Fitzroy Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fitzroy Island
Melbourne, Australia
“Great apartment spoiled by musty smell”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We spent 4 days in August: the apartment was probably conceived to be a luxury place for long stay. Full of cupboards, a big fridge etc... well, there were hardly 4 plates and 4 forks. And the "supermarket" on the island had 1 loaf of bread, expired milk ... quite depressing. It sells peelers, but no fruit or vegetable?!?
The mattress was just too soft (for our taste) thus making the sleep quality just average
We tried the swimming pool once only: freezing and crowded.
We did not try the main restaurant, the other one was pretty basic but OK, with nice staff.
The diving centre is disappointing: staff completely unengaged, and not very organized (too say the least) even if they try to be nice.
The island is beautiful and nudey beach just amazing (also the walk to get there), but a day trip would probably do.

1 Thank RobbieIlaria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on the way to palm cove and loved it! The accommodation was so cheap especially in comparison to the whitsundays. We paid extra for the ocean suite on check in $50 per night and I highly recommend this. We had a balcony overlooking the ocean it was amazing. Waking up to the sound of the ocean and watching the sunset on the balcony. The room was also self contained and lovely. Only gripe was it stunk! We had to air it out every time we came home. I don't know if it was mould or dampness???
There is only one restaurant option for breakfast and lunch and dinner In Zephyr is only available Tuesdays to Saturdays so would not recommend staying on the resort Sundays or Mondays as you would then need to eat at foxys bar for both lunch and dinner and it is pub food and it wasnt the best in my opinion for food however they did great drinks. Zephyr restaurant is a high quality a la carte restaurant the menu is limited and more expensive however we felt it was well worth it! All The staff there were extremely friendly. You must make a reservation for dinner there as they get fully booked although all tables aren't booked I think they only take a certain number of guests. The Buffett breakfast is quite basic.
We did the lighthouse and summit walk and let me warn you if you plan on this bring water and wear comfy shoes. It is well worth it but it is a big hike! Also do it early as it gets hot waking back! Also recommend the walk to nudey beach it's a easy walk in comparison.
Snorkeling was great we went in front of the camp grounds out about 20 Metres and started finding fish straight away we felt like we were on the reef!
The general store had limited supplies so if you are wanting to make your own meals bring your own stuff with you.
I would highly recommend this resort for a weekend away. 2 nights was enough as the food etc is limited for options. Great place!

• Stayed August 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

What on earth was the devloper thinking when he put carpets on the outside passages of a devlopment in the TROPIC? The result is a damp and musty smell of the "forest view" rooms, which overlooks these passages, and is constantly damp and out of direct sunlight. Get rid of the carpets and replace the curtains in these "forest view" rooms with blinds and I am sure you will not have to tell customers, when they complain, "yes we do have a problem on the ground floor" ( and the 1st, and the 2nd).

Staff is helpful and polite, and the resort is logistically a success.

Room Tip: If the only rooms available are "forest view" rooms, give this one a miss. Perhaps the sea...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Gert C
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Fitzroy Island is beautiful. the hotel is luxurious, but the notice board said the the a la carte restaurant was closed on Monday and Saturday nights. Go figure!
For dinner we had to go to foxy's and the food was basically bad pub food.
it is a beautiful place and still worth visiting but bring food as the 2 bedroom lavish accomodation with kitchen and living room has cooking facilites and a big refrigerator. ideally spend a couple of days and bring sandals that can get wet so that walking on the coral is not uncomfortable.

The resort is run by backpackers and the quality of the build is not as good as the styling and quality of materials used . it was intended to be a very expensive hotel and no expense was spared. Marble bathrooms , 40mm granite in the Kitchen , stacker doors and so on. You need to spend at least two days because you can't get your room until 2pm.
There is wildlife around the hotel we saw a goanna and native hens. it could be better but it is still worth going .

Room Tip: Ask for a water view room.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We booked the two bedroom apartment for 4 nights, the studio room for myself & the apartment for my daughter, son in law & 11 month old Grandaughter . The studio room was dark, musty & smelled of damp - very disappointing. The neighbouring apartment was lovely, looking out over the ocean to wonderful sunsets & views.

I had requested a cot for my Grandaughter, this was supplied but didn't have a mattress. When I rang reception to point this out they sent up two blankets to fold up as a substitute. They then tried to charge $40 for cot hire when we checked out.

There are only 20 sun loungers around the pool, not enough for the number of hotel patrons.

The balcony was very dirty & obviously hadn't been cleaned for a long time. I echo the opinion of a previous reviewer that housekeeping staff were lazy.

Plus points:
Foxy's Bar. Good food, great service, friendly, efficient staff.
Hire Shack. Friendly & helpful.
The Walks. Very enjoyable & a great view from the lighthouse & the summit.
The Island. Absolutely lovely!

Room Tip: Don't chose the Studio rooms as they are dark, dingy & musty.
Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

The island is a nice place to visit for 2 or 3 nights and its moderately priced but some simple customer service issues made this place disappointing.
- The luggage area where you leave your luggage while waiting for your room to be ready isn't secure
- There is no communal ice machine
- The floor in the room was dirty, and it was evident the balcony and the bathroom hadn't been really cleaned properly for weeks
- We were told to come back in an hour for dinner when I observed at least 6 empty tables
- Breakfast was cold and on the second morning they ran out of eggs!
- We were told breakfast was included but on checkout were told that it was incorrect and the 'free' breakfast was a free upgrade from hot(cold) to continental...I wonder which one of those had eggs included
- The pool bar is only open for four hours each day?
- The sewage system out the back of the accommodation smells quite bad at times during the day
- Generally felt like nothing is really included except what you get in your room, which made me feel like I wasn't getting value for money

The dinner service was fantastic and the food was amazing, absolutely faultless. It made up for the other disappointments.

Room Tip: Avoid a room close the sewage system
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Burleigh Heads, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Overall this is a really beautiful place, however it is a shame that it was ruined by the resort taking my money when they had no intention of providing the service offered.

I booked an "Adventure Package" which included several things, including a glass bottom boat ride. As it was a birthday present for my wife, we called the resort prior to booking to ask about the Package.

It was not until after we arrived, checked in & went to our room when I called reception to book a time on the boat only to be told it was being repaired & unavailable. I asked how long it had not been available for & was told several weeks (Which included the date we called the resort to ask when we booked).

Why did the resort staff not advise me that it wasn't available when I called & also when I checked in???!!!!

There are plenty of operators in Cairns offering these services & I could have happily gone elsewhere rather than have the Resort taking my money for something they knew they couldn't provide.

When I told Reception of my frustration, nothing was offered other than "Additional time with the snorkel hire". This is imply not good enough, however it was my wife's birthday so did not want to spoil it for her by checking out early & leaving.

Again when I checked out I mentioned my issues to Reception & was told to fill out a feedback form so Management could contact me. I did this & heard nothing.

I sent a follow up email specifically asking Management to call me - I have still heard nothing.

It is simply wrong to blatantly advertise a package & then accept payment after I had spoken directly to resort staff when you know you have absolutely no intention of providing the service.

It is a shame as the location, the service from staff at the bar & restaurant and everything else about the island was very good.

This was such a disappointing experience, particularly given that it was supposed to be a birthday present to my wife.

It is also disappointing to be writing this type of review on a website because I have asked multiple times for the Resort to contact me so that I can pass on my feedback but they have failed to do so,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
The Reef Retreat Palm Cove
The Reef Retreat Palm Cove
#3 of 12 in Palm Cove
Cairns Coconut Holiday Resort

Been to Fitzroy Island Resort? Share your experiences!