“Fitzroy Island Dive Center - great people!”

Fitzroy Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fitzroy Island
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We were camping at the associated camp site and had just recently gotten our open water certification. The Dive Center there had just opened and they were offering great deals. We rented our equipment for just $35/p! Renaldo came out on one of the dives with us and showed us amazing lionfish. The visibility wasn't great, but thats shore diving for you. Still, plenty of coral and fish. And so cheap! Then the icing on the cake: when you are camping, the camp showers only give cold water, but if you go diving, hot water resort showers!! hooray!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adriatica100
Write a ReviewReviews (1,353)

Reviewed July 26, 2011

Read a good selection of the reviews and you will get a good feel for what the place is like. Pretty much all the good things written about are true. But so are all the not so good things. The place charges premium prices, which would be OK if the service, facilities, maintenance etc etc were also premium. Sadly they are not. Maintenance is not quite up to scratch; some of the staff are terrific and some are surly and unfriendly; the food at the restaurants is alright, but it's pub food at best at premium prices; and pretty much that's the story of the whole resort. It's a fantastic island and stunningly beautiful, but nothing is quite up to the prices they charge.

And let me echo the warning of another reviewer. Avoid the nights when the party is on. This might sound a bit elitist or even snobby, but if I'm paying $320 a night for a room, I really don't want to be rubbing shoulders with noisy drunken teenagers and pot head hippies who are roaming freely through the public areas of the hotel, which is basically what the party night is about.

Room Tip: The beach front cabins are too small- go for the suites
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We booked our 5 nights' accommodation through the Hotels.com website. The room details advise that there would be a fully functional kitchen - a bit like a self catering if you wish. When we got to Cairns and spoke to locals about where we were going they advised us not to be fooled. A couple of others went for the same room that we chose and upon checking in they were told they had to pay an extra $200 per night to have the electrical stove switched on in their room. THIS WAS MORE THAN OUR ACTUAL ROOM RATE PER NIGHT. They had all this food for the week and were not able to use it unless they paid the $200 extra per night.

I took the liberty of looking into this online. I checked their own website, the fine print of the hotels.com booking and expedia. I could not find this listed ANYWHERE!

I called the hotel the night prior to arriving and had a bit of an argument on the phone until the manager agreed that they would give us the stove at no extra cost - making some odd excuse that they had to get the website sorted.

When we got here it was total paradise indeed. The island itself is glorious but it did take us another 3 attempts to get our stove switched on. They were even late in giving us our 2pm check in but not a single apology throughout all this.

Trying to get lunch at foxy's bar was another saga. We waited at least 25 minutes at the bar to order and it wasnt even busy.

Do not let this put you off though because it really is a lovely place - hence the 4 stars. If the resort got their act together and sorted out the annoying service, it would really be up there with the rest of the 5 star ratings.

If you are after a tropical paradise and can live with some appalling service then do come, but if you are after service then dont bother.

Room Tip: 1 bed ocean suite on 3rd floor has amazing views and sunsets
2  Thank Dario B
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Apparently the refurbishment started 14 months ago. We came for our honeymoon & have just returned back to Melbourne 24th July 2011. We will come back again because we can see the potential of the place but I have to agree with the other reviewers.The photos of the tiles missing in the pool are true. Which is disappointing.
Our ocean suite was spectacular but I did peer into the windows of the rooms facing the mountains & they are dark!!! But the staff were fantastic. So thanks to Deborah on reception, Terry who did fish feeding & other duties, Paul in the restaurant, and all the staff in Foxy's bar! Fantastic cocktails...with a spectacular ocean view...
The pool bar wasn't open which was disappointing, the restaurant menu didn't change - other than specials. the gym isnt! There's no internet - hardly mobile reception...
But the weather was lovely and we were looked after. The walk to the lighthouse was absolutely stunning & totally worth it! The views from the summit are to die for (but a really hard climb to get there!) The camp ground looks brilliant (& cheap at $28 per night) & facilities(toilets & BBQs) there are great...
But it could be better....and we sincerely wish it because the location is..awesome...

1  Thank AuntyMoo
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I stayed at the Fitzroy Island resort for 5 nights with my partner in July 2011. At first glance, this place has it all; the climate, the beaches, romantic beach front villas and the tranquility that comes naturally with a small island away from the hustle and bustle of Cairns. The reality however was some way away from our admittedly high expectations.

The positives first. The island is beautiful; white sandy beaches, stunning views, calm waters. It was not too crowded. The staff were friendly and polite and the place was clean.

On the negative side, the accommodation was very disappointing. On arrival, our room smelt very strongly of bleach and had a window facing a steep cliff with a walkway directly above. Even on the brightest of days, the room was gloomy and dark, we needed a light on in our room at all times. We came to know our room affectionately as the "bleach cell". If you choose to visit, insist on an ocean view room! Although fairly new, some fittings in the bathroom were rusting and the bathroom was extremely dark, lit by just two dim bulbs. We expressed our disappointment to the staff on reception who offered us the alternative to upgrade and the standard cost to do so which was disappointing.

Some of the communal areas were poorly designed and built. Surprisingly, there was no where to sit comfortably, in peace with a book overlooking the ocean. The reception area was blighted with a games area within earshot and the bar played loud music so the only real escape on a couple of wet days was our dingy room.

The food options are very limited, especially for a vegetarian. You have the option of the bar or the restaurant and on one occasion, the bar was shut for training and the restaurant was only offering a buffet lavishly stocked with meat dishes and no a'la carte. We were glad we took some snacks along with us.

We made the most of it and had an enjoyable few days and for families who will enjoy the beach, the views, the all-you-can-eat buffets and a sunny get away, I'm sure it would fit the bill. If, however, you are after a luxurious, romantic break, I recommend looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid the non-ocean view rooms as they are very dark and dingy.
5  Thank CmdrRoff
Reviewed July 16, 2011

This review is about the Island itself. I went as a day-tripper. So I am not making any comments about the hotel.

My first disappointment was the intense trail over rocks I had to walk to get to Nudey Beach. This is the only sand beach on Fitzroy. It was a gourgous beach after a 30 miniute walk throught the rain forest. The trail was made up mostly of bolder and rock steps. There were no hand rails on most of this trail. A young atheletic male will tell you a 10 miniute walk. But for me it was between 20 to 30 miniutes. The walk in itself is beautiful but when you have a limited amount of time sometimes you just do not have time to enjoy the beauty.

My second disappointment was the glass bottom boat ride. The view is wonderful but the colors were not there. From speaking to other Australians the reef is dying. This reef lies to near Australia. To get those beautiful colors you have to go furhter out on the reef.

My third disappoint was in bus service / ferry service. The ferry looked a tad ratty. The bus service took an hour to get me from Palm Cove to Cairns where the ferry left. The bus service told us to meet them at a certain point when we arrived. No time was given. The ferry arrived at 5;20 pm. The bus took off without me becuase every one else had arrived. What happened to me? Well I was unfortunately one of the last off and had to go to the bathroom. I was at the bus stop before 5:30 PM. They left. So my advice is be leery of this service. Oh some other buses from the same service came but kept blaming me. They said I should have been there at 5:20 which I wondered how that was possible when the ferry arrived at 5:20 and was 5 miniutes away. The bottom line they were not clear in when the departure time is.

I have been told I should have gone to some islands south of Cairns.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I'm so bitterly disappointed to be writting this but i feel it's my duty to tell people to shut down the page, don't go there, ignore the glorious advertising, the place is just not what it's cracked up to be. Firstly, the staff - clean the slate, hire again. The facilities - yes beautiful on picture, but practically useless. You pay EVERYTIME you take a step. The rooms were beautiful, we stayed in an ocean suite, stunning. Really bad view - stayed for 4 nights, room was never cleaned. The 2 x places to eat were laughable, and getting served defrosted fish on an island i don't think i could ever forgive. The pebbled beach coupled with the lack of local knowledge by the staff just made it unbearable... nothing worth goind back to, and i'm disappointed that we spent so much money there - not worth it.

Room Tip: Ocean Suite
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
#6 of 63 in Cairns
Cairns Plaza Hotel
Cairns Plaza Hotel
#11 of 63 in Cairns

Been to Fitzroy Island Resort? Share your experiences!