Fitzroy Island Resort
Green Island Resort(Green Island)
$361
Hilton
$151
$133
  • Restaurant
Park Regis City Quays(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$111
$73
Pacific Hotel Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$109
  • Restaurant
Mantra Esplanade Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$122
$96
  • Pool
BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort(Cairns)(Great Value!)
$151
$133
$118
$113
1,425 results
All reviewsocean suitedive shopgeneral storeglass bottom boatmain restaurantpool barstinger suitsday trippersouter reefferry rideturtle sanctuarysnorkel gearfast catsecret gardenmain beachpub foodsea turtles
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Apparently the refurbishment started 14 months ago. We came for our honeymoon & have just returned back to Melbourne 24th July 2011. We will come back again because we can see the potential of the place but I have to agree with the other reviewers.The photos of the tiles missing in the pool are true. Which is disappointing.
Our ocean suite was spectacular but I did peer into the windows of the rooms facing the mountains & they are dark!!! But the staff were fantastic. So thanks to Deborah on reception, Terry who did fish feeding & other duties, Paul in the restaurant, and all the staff in Foxy's bar! Fantastic cocktails...with a spectacular ocean view...
The pool bar wasn't open which was disappointing, the restaurant menu didn't change - other than specials. the gym isnt! There's no internet - hardly mobile reception...
But the weather was lovely and we were looked after. The walk to the lighthouse was absolutely stunning & totally worth it! The views from the summit are to die for (but a really hard climb to get there!) The camp ground looks brilliant (& cheap at $28 per night) & facilities(toilets & BBQs) there are great...
But it could be better....and we sincerely wish it because the location is..awesome...

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AuntyMoo
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I stayed at the Fitzroy Island resort for 5 nights with my partner in July 2011. At first glance, this place has it all; the climate, the beaches, romantic beach front villas and the tranquility that comes naturally with a small island away from the hustle and bustle of Cairns. The reality however was some way away from our admittedly high expectations.

The positives first. The island is beautiful; white sandy beaches, stunning views, calm waters. It was not too crowded. The staff were friendly and polite and the place was clean.

On the negative side, the accommodation was very disappointing. On arrival, our room smelt very strongly of bleach and had a window facing a steep cliff with a walkway directly above. Even on the brightest of days, the room was gloomy and dark, we needed a light on in our room at all times. We came to know our room affectionately as the "bleach cell". If you choose to visit, insist on an ocean view room! Although fairly new, some fittings in the bathroom were rusting and the bathroom was extremely dark, lit by just two dim bulbs. We expressed our disappointment to the staff on reception who offered us the alternative to upgrade and the standard cost to do so which was disappointing.

Some of the communal areas were poorly designed and built. Surprisingly, there was no where to sit comfortably, in peace with a book overlooking the ocean. The reception area was blighted with a games area within earshot and the bar played loud music so the only real escape on a couple of wet days was our dingy room.

The food options are very limited, especially for a vegetarian. You have the option of the bar or the restaurant and on one occasion, the bar was shut for training and the restaurant was only offering a buffet lavishly stocked with meat dishes and no a'la carte. We were glad we took some snacks along with us.

We made the most of it and had an enjoyable few days and for families who will enjoy the beach, the views, the all-you-can-eat buffets and a sunny get away, I'm sure it would fit the bill. If, however, you are after a luxurious, romantic break, I recommend looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid the non-ocean view rooms as they are very dark and dingy.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CmdrRoff
Reviewed July 16, 2011

This review is about the Island itself. I went as a day-tripper. So I am not making any comments about the hotel.

My first disappointment was the intense trail over rocks I had to walk to get to Nudey Beach. This is the only sand beach on Fitzroy. It was a gourgous beach after a 30 miniute walk throught the rain forest. The trail was made up mostly of bolder and rock steps. There were no hand rails on most of this trail. A young atheletic male will tell you a 10 miniute walk. But for me it was between 20 to 30 miniutes. The walk in itself is beautiful but when you have a limited amount of time sometimes you just do not have time to enjoy the beauty.

My second disappointment was the glass bottom boat ride. The view is wonderful but the colors were not there. From speaking to other Australians the reef is dying. This reef lies to near Australia. To get those beautiful colors you have to go furhter out on the reef.

My third disappoint was in bus service / ferry service. The ferry looked a tad ratty. The bus service took an hour to get me from Palm Cove to Cairns where the ferry left. The bus service told us to meet them at a certain point when we arrived. No time was given. The ferry arrived at 5;20 pm. The bus took off without me becuase every one else had arrived. What happened to me? Well I was unfortunately one of the last off and had to go to the bathroom. I was at the bus stop before 5:30 PM. They left. So my advice is be leery of this service. Oh some other buses from the same service came but kept blaming me. They said I should have been there at 5:20 which I wondered how that was possible when the ferry arrived at 5:20 and was 5 miniutes away. The bottom line they were not clear in when the departure time is.

I have been told I should have gone to some islands south of Cairns.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I'm so bitterly disappointed to be writting this but i feel it's my duty to tell people to shut down the page, don't go there, ignore the glorious advertising, the place is just not what it's cracked up to be. Firstly, the staff - clean the slate, hire again. The facilities - yes beautiful on picture, but practically useless. You pay EVERYTIME you take a step. The rooms were beautiful, we stayed in an ocean suite, stunning. Really bad view - stayed for 4 nights, room was never cleaned. The 2 x places to eat were laughable, and getting served defrosted fish on an island i don't think i could ever forgive. The pebbled beach coupled with the lack of local knowledge by the staff just made it unbearable... nothing worth goind back to, and i'm disappointed that we spent so much money there - not worth it.

Room Tip: Ocean Suite
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank HeavenSun
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Absolutely fantastic holiday. We stayed for 7 nights and loved it. Great room with good contemporary furniture and a great bathroom.

We were there as a newly engaged couple and throughly enjoyed the peace and quiet. The weather in october was great, only one rainy day.

The pool was amazing and my highlight was having a beer at the pool bar. The beach is very nice and the pontoon is so much fun.

It wasn't quite finished when we stayed but i see they were building a new bar and gym which would make the stay even better.

If it has wifi and maybe abit more selection in the restaurant it would be perfect.

Definately worth it if u want a lazy relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: October 2010