“No compassion or customer service standards apply here!”

Mariners North Holiday Apartments
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Firstly I decided to read through other negative comments before making my own review, just to see if it was a bad day for poor old Brett Thompson being totally booked out over the festive season....I can see that he even states he makes no apologies for anything that makes his guests unhappy....biggest no no of all in customer service! So here is my review....I have travelled a lot and used to be an international flight attendant so I am very flexible, forgiving and an all round understanding rational person so when my husband and 2 children arrived to an apartment which was just beautiful and looked to be well worth the $300 a night that we paid it was just a small upset that the aircon was not working...we are used to the hot weather so it was not a huge deal but we called reception thinking maybe we were not working it properly or perhaps it could be looked at if it was broken. The manager Brett arrived at out door with guns blazing, I greeted him pleasantly and explained what was happening...he argued the point that the aircon was blowing cold air and said we had not given it long enough (we had been in the room 5hrs with it on 19 degrees and my babies both had wet hair from sweat....he straight out said well there is nothing I can do till tomorrow in a terrible tone...totally understandable but all he had to say was I'm really sorry guys in a sympathetic tone and we would have been ok with it. The next morning as promised he called and said he had a room ready for us by 11am...he also mentioned he had a precious complaint about our aircon so he would now get soneone to look at it. we waited till 11 but were also keen to get our family out to enjoy our 3 days only in Townsville so we headed to reception at 11.20 to tell them we were going to grab a bite to eat and would move all of our stuff when we got back...he told us he had other people going into the room and that the other room was ready now so we would have to move out stuff now...when I asked why he would be putting other people on the room with a broken aircon he told me it was not my concern and that an aircon guy was coming at 12...I told him I was happy for the guy to enter our room while we were out and fix it and save us all the grief of moving our whole apartment which is hard with portacots and being self contained...food in the fridge and to top that no lifts in our block. I still kept my cool and understanding despite his horrible tone and not once having said sorry for any of it....he ended up saying fine have it your way. We got a phone call 2 hours later saying that the aircon was broken and had been fixed now....it was lovely and cool by the time we got back...still no apology. You see it wasn't the aircon that upset is but purely his horrible attitude and how he dealt with it...we weren't being rude in our complaint or making any demands of refund or even moving rooms but he was so rude about it all and treated us like that's what we were doing.

My last four points were that the pool was very dirty and the quilt on the bed was covered in only two sheets which meant as soon as you moved you were exposed to a dirty stained quilt. There was a beer bottle on the side verandah on arrival and as we discovered before leaving the dishwasher didn't work but were not game enough to say anything....all of these things would have been looked over with a big smile in our faces if the service was good but would have to say its the worst I have ever experienced.

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank Hsll
BenBritAustralia, Owner at Mariners North Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Its a very disappointing review from Heidi both from a personal perspective & on a professional basis. Yes, Heidi's air conditioning unit in the living area did have a problem & we offered the best solution available. As we were 100% occuppied over the Xmas/New Year period I offered to change Heidi into a new apartment the next day.

Check out time is 10.00am & I said to Heidi we would give her priority & clean the 1st available apartment. The new apartment was ready at 11.15 am & this was not suitable for Heidi. Heidi demanded we keep the back up apartment available if we couldn't get the a/c unit repaired that day in her current apartment.

What Heidi doesn't know, due to our 100% occupancy the apartment she was moving into was rented that day. Yes there was some anxiety from me as Heidi wanted that apartment available in case we couldn't repair the airconditioner. I had to find accommodation for the other family who were going into the apartment that day.

Yes, the living area a/c unit initially had a problem - yes it was fixed; yes we did offer to move her
& yes we held a 2nd apartment for her. I don't know that we could have done much more for her in the circumstances.

It put me in a difficult position with the other guests, as I had to ring around & find additional accommodation. Needless to say these guests weren't happy, but we managed to find them suitable accommodation.

Heidi then goes on to say our pool was dirty. We have had a 1,000 people through the property over the past 4 weeks without a complaint about the pool. Its negligent of Heidi to make such a comment.

Heidi was certainly hot & bothered. My customer service philsophy is my life, make the cutomer happy. I generate my income from making customers happy, making sure they return & referring our property to other people. I also live by the philsophy we can't always make everybody happy - we certainly didn't make Heidi happy.

I am happy to stand by my customer service record & recognition from our customers.

Brett Thompson
(apparently poor & old as per Heidi's review)

There are newer reviews for Mariners North Holiday Apartments

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Travelled with family and stayed five nights. Great spacious apartments, something for everyone within the hotel complex and nearby attractions. Provided everything you would expect to find in a self catering apartment which was convenient. Service was average compared to other hotels and apartments I've stayed at. Free wifi bonus.
Some of the furniture tired and white goods dated but acceptable and worked.
Excellent views from the room and balcony great to unwind, relax and enjoy family company. Would consider staying there again in the future with my family (children 4 and 2).

Room Tip: With children or elderly ask for a tower room with lift access or a room on ground level, hotel was...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TAMAINI
BenBritAustralia, Owner at Mariners North Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Further to Tamaini's review, I am disappointed she experienced average service. We leave a Guest Feedback form on the night before departure which gives the guests the opportunity to detail any maintenance or service issues they have encountered during their stay. On this occasion I am unable to follow through with Tamaini's comment about the service as I haven't got the details.

We definitely pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service, but on this occasion we have not performed to the customer's expectations.

Owner Operator

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Thank you to the lovely Jo for taking care of our reservation and checking us in on the day. She explained the hotel information with accurate detail and gave us all a very warm welcome upon our arrival.

We had 2 two bedroom apartments and stayed from the 28th Sep to the 1st Oct. We were absolutely impressed with the room facitlies and because we were located on the 3rd floor had the most beautiful view of the beach, magnetic island and the Strand. Bed's were comfortable, kitchen was stocked with the necessary utensils and cleanliness throughout the whole apartment was without a doubt 10/10.

Pool and gardens absolutely lovely. There is a herb garden which guests are allowed to use. Bbq area is spacious and comfortable. Great views from anywhere in this hotel.

Security was top notch and our car parked in secured parking below. Upon leaving, the staff had cleaned our car windscreen and left a farewell note.

Thank you very much to the staff especially Jo at Mariners. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Townsville. We can't wait to come back and stay with you again.

Kiri

2  Thank Keeree1983
BenBritAustralia, Owner at Mariners North Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you Keerree 1983 for your remarks regarding Jo & the property. I am glad you had a great time at Mariners. I hope you took advantage of the herbs whilst you were here. Your review details many aspects of the property, we look forward to seeing you back at Mariners North.

Owner Operator

Reviewed October 9, 2012

On top of everything else, Mariners has free wi-fi! The 'fitness centre option' consists of free access to an adjacent gym and Olympic size pool - plus there is the in-house pool, spa, court, etc. Certainly a place to visit and revisit for long or short terms, ground floor or sixth - we have done all. Absolutely the top place on The Strand - views, access, evening quietness, sunsets!

Room Tip: High rise for panoramic views, ground for easy access to the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
BenBritAustralia, Owner at Mariners North Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Its great to hear John's comments on the property & see him back at Mariners. It always good to hear positive feedback from customers. Whilst John was enjoying the warmth of Townsville's weather, his mates in Adelaide were freezing. John certainly made use of the free access to Tobruk Pool which is located 200 metres from our front door. Not to mention pumping weights occasionally at Strand Fitness.

We look forward to seeing John again soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We only had 2 nights at Mariners North and were wishing we could have stayed for longer. They have the magical mix of brilliant views and great location. We could walk everywhere. .. . that is when we could pull ourselves away from the verandah! The apartment was very clean and well appointed. I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: I guess if you could choose, a little higher up to be above the palm trees for the view!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you wizzothom from Brisbane for your guest review. If you can't be happy with our view & location then you are very hard to please. Yes, we are ideally located within walking distance to everything Townsville's CBD & The Strand has to offer.

Thankyou once again wizzothom for your recommendation. You must stay longer next time.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Spacious, bright and spotlessly clean apartment with a breath-taking view. The staff were extremely welcoming and helpful. A great pool and lovely gardens. The location provides easy access to the CBD on foot, but not so close as to be noisey at night. A short but very enjoyable stay and yes I would certainly plan another holiday staying at the Mariner Apartments in Townsville.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Michael G's review is much appreciated, especially mentioning the staff. He must have been talking about me? Just kidding, all the staff do a great job & work extremely hard to ensure the apartments are clean & the service provided is attuned to the customer's needs.

There are times when all we hear is the negatives from some guests & no positives. But then again these guests go through life whinging about everything. So when we hear great feedback from customers it puts a smile on our face & faith in humanity.

Not that we are 100% perfect, but we try our best to exceed our customer's expectations.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Oh my gosh Mariners North is just fantastic. Great location, beautiful room and very helpful staff. We only had two days but loved all Townsville had to offer, starting with our accommodation. Mariners North is in a beautiful quiet location but only moments away from the hustle and bustle - total perfection. The apartment exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
BenBritAustralia, Owner at Mariners North Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thanks to Julie B for the fantastic headline - Location Location Location. It sounds like a real estate commercial, but its not. Thats the reason I bought the business in the first place because Mariners North has the best location in Townsville.

It also has the best sunsets, the best BBQ location, the best views & theres more a free set of steak knives. Only kidding about the steak knives. On a serious note we hope more people come to Townsville to experience what we have to offer on The Strand.

We appreciate Julie taking the time to tell everyone alse about her experience at Mariners North.

Owner/Operator