“No way is this 4 star - more like 2.5-3 star”

Aquarius on the Beach
Carnegie, Australia
“No way is this 4 star - more like 2.5-3 star”
Reviewed September 9, 2005

There is no way this is a 4 star hotel.

The positives:

- It has great views of Magnetic Island and of up and down the Strand (the main esplanade) from many of the rooms (I was on the 13th floor which was good for that).
- You can see back on to Castle Hill from the corridor.
- Airconditioning was good.
- Well located to the Strand and cafes (which is important as there is no restaurant there).
- Bed was fine.
- Self contained which might be good for some people.

The negatives:

- Needed a paint job both in the room and in the hallway (hallway paint was 1970s green and white) - paint was peeling off the cupboards in my room.
- Noisy - could easily hear next door.
- Toiletaries were basic and hand cream was in one of those squirty thigs you get in public toilets.
- No restaurant or cafe - breakfast is via room service only. It was much cheaper to walk two short blocks and go to one of the cafes.
- Room service dinner from one of the local restaurants called Sorrentos - I did not try this so this is for info only.
- No security to the floor at 10pm with no-one at reception. I walked right into the lift (no need to put a card in or anything) and up to the floor so anyone could have done the same thing. It may be that security comes on later but this was late enough and made worse in that no-one was in reception to check.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank Feeber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed September 4, 2005

.. you'll love this place. This hotel is simply awful. It is listed as a 4-star hotel which it might have been 10 -15 years ago but now it is very run-down with peeling paint, molding falling off the walls, the rooms and hallway are smelly. It was very difficult to even get room service to give me fresh towels or change the bedding! I was told that because I got the room at a discounted rate $80 per night, I only entitled to room service once a week. Well, the week came and went and still no new towels or sheets. Then after 10 days of this, I found a HUGE cockroach in the kitchentte. I called the desk and asked someone to remove it. He said someone would be along soon. When no one came I killed it myself and told the manager to please remove it by the time I got back. It was still there when I returned 8 hours later --- and no clean towels or sheets of course!

I would have checked out sooner but was staying there as a guest of business clients -- I finally just got a nicer hotel on my own dime.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed August 30, 2005

We drove by and enquired about a room here, and were fortunate enough to get one. We stayed here August 18 2005.

The rooms are very large with a sofa, table and chairs, microwave, toaster oven, plates, silverware, cups, sink and refrigerator. Every room is an ocean view and all had large balconies. It was very clean.

The hotel is located on The Strand, where many hotels, timeshares and restaurants are all within walking distance, making it very convenient.

There is no restaurant on the premises, although a local Italian restaurant would deliver for quite reasonable prices.

The only drawback to this hotel is that, because it is on The Strand, you get quite a bit of traffic noise going until quite late at night.

The views are what really make this hotel - we could see to the port one direction and Magnetic Island the other. It was also great to have all the kitchen amenities as it meant we could eat lunch and breakfast in our room if we wanted to.

3 Thank EmpireGal
Nice
Reviewed July 11, 2005

Westayed atthe Aquarius our 1st night in Townsville. It is in afantastic position on the Strand with beautiful views of magnetic Island. It is the tallest building in Townsville and we had a unit almost on the 8th floor. The rooms are good although the decor of the corridors is real retro, but I kinda like that. Unfortunately there is no restaurant anymore on site (I was told it had just shut down) and there was no cable TV. And we love cable. But apart from that the staff where friendly, it was clean and has views very impressive. Would stay again

• Stayed March 2005
2 Thank mina
Leicester England
Reviewed December 12, 2004

This Hotel is in an excellent position on the Strand at Townsville an up and coming holiday destination. Although the rooms need a little updating they are clean and provide everything you need. The pool is well looked after and the staff attentive. A good base for a relaxing few days between larger city sight seeing and a visit to nearby Magnetic Island is a must.

3 Thank Silvertraveller8
Reviewed February 24, 2004

It looks good on the outside and the view is great but the room was very tired looking and worn out. It needs a total renovation and update from the eighties style decor. The room was very small and overpriced compared to similar accomodation.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 10, 2004

This hotel is by far the worst we have ever stayed in.Management boast that it is a 4 star hotel and the "only beach front in Townsville" - well they are wrong on two counts, firstly it is more like a backpackers budget hotel and secondly there are hotels all up and down The Strand in Townsville all beach front and with views. We found mould in the bathroom on the tiles and a 5cm (2 inch) cockroach crawling above the bedhead wall. Needless to say after that experience we didn't sleep all night and even if we wanted to sleep we couldn't as the bed was a funnel, both of us sliding into the centre of the bed.The room although tidy felt dirty and was old and after the cockroach experience we don't recommend anyone stay at this hotel. You should never compromise your room for a view - you don't sleep on the balcony!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member